The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Slate Digital VIRTUAL TAPE MACHINES Available NOW DAW Software
Old 3rd February 2016
I apologize if this has been covered already elsewhere…

Is there any good reason why VTM does not allow for multi-mono input in Pro Tools?

I don't see why L-R needs to be always linked… on a real tape machine the channels are independent, right? I remember many times getting distortion (electronic or tape saturation) on just one side of a 2-trk machine if something hit it too hard. And printing a stereo source to two channels of a 16-trk or 24-trk are independent by design.

Are we losing a little bit of life in the signal by linking the L-R channels all the time?

Also, I'm getting periodic crashes in PT 12.4.0 from VTM. Not common, but a couple times a week. Anyone else?
Old 22nd May 2016
Lives for gear

Steven, any plans to give love for VTM in the future?
Old 22nd May 2016
Lives for gear

Zero latency version would be wonderful!
Old 23rd May 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpga View Post
Zero latency version would be wonderful!
I wouldn't count on this happening. I remember Mr. Slate stating that latency itself is key to the function of VTM.
Old 2nd June 2016
Lives for gear

CPU Error

Anyone else experiencing this? Opening VTM while Pro Tools transport is running stops playback and comes up with the error indicated in the attached picture. Seems to be constant with the tape graphics showing. But I believe it's happened without the tape graphics running as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Slate Digital VIRTUAL TAPE MACHINES Available NOW-vtm-error.jpg  
Old 12th September 2016
Gear Addict

Release Notes - Virtual Tape Machines 1.1.11.1

New Features

Updated Eden SDK to 3.0

Wat is this Eden sdk? is this a feature we can use?
Old 13th September 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pass-out View Post
Release Notes - Virtual Tape Machines 1.1.11.1

New Features

Updated Eden SDK to 3.0

Wat is this Eden sdk? is this a feature we can use?
Google is your friend. Apparently it is related to the eye lock. https://www.paceap.com/pace-security.html
Old 13th September 2016
Slate Pro Audio / Slate Digital

Removed that as a "feature" as it's just an internal update. Thanks!

Cheers,
Steven
Old 13th September 2016
In 2+ years I've never had an issue with VTM, nor any of the updates - they've all worked fine 'n dandy - but I've updated it today and now I'm getting a 'no valid esr file found in any of the known locations' error message. Now my standard DAW template doesn't load correctly (Studio One 3/Win 7/64-bit). Has anyone else experienced this, and is it easy to rectify?

To be honest, if there isn't a quick/straightforward fix then I'll just roll back and stick with the previous version and forget about this update. I'm getting sick and tired of having to play e-mail ping pong with support departments.

If anyone can think of anything and point me in the right direction I'd be very grateful. If not, no sweat - I'll just roll back.
Old 14th September 2016
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadfish View Post
In 2+ years I've never had an issue with VTM, nor any of the updates - they've all worked fine 'n dandy - but I've updated it today and now I'm getting a 'no valid esr file found in any of the known locations' error message. Now my standard DAW template doesn't load correctly (Studio One 3/Win 7/64-bit). Has anyone else experienced this, and is it easy to rectify?

To be honest, if there isn't a quick/straightforward fix then I'll just roll back and stick with the previous version and forget about this update. I'm getting sick and tired of having to play e-mail ping pong with support departments.

If anyone can think of anything and point me in the right direction I'd be very grateful. If not, no sweat - I'll just roll back.
I've had that before with other Slate plugins. Are you sure you didn't pick a different folder for this update than the prior version? Try uninstalling, and delete any VTM folders/files, then reinstall. Or hit up support for an official response...
Old 14th September 2016
Gear Nut

Just my 2 cents, but I found that VTM and VMR updates tend to work better if I uninstall them from my Windows 10 computer first. After that I install the new version.
Old 14th September 2016
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Falcon View Post
Just my 2 cents, but I found that VTM and VMR updates tend to work better if I uninstall them from my Windows 10 computer first. After that I installing the new version.
You just have to be very careful to install to the exact same directories. If you're not sure where you put it before, uninstall first.

I really think the Slate team is doing themselves a disservice and increasing support tickets and costs, while lowering customer satisfaction because their installers won't remember the install paths and just handle updates automatically. That would require rewriting the installer and logging the locations behind the scenes somewhere, but every update brings support requests because of the install location, and it would be a relatively easy thing to avoid. The original install path should be logged, and any updates should automatically overwrite the prior installation without the user having the ability to screw up the path.
Old 14th September 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadfish View Post

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Try updating your iLok drivers.
Old 21st September 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by robshrock View Post
I apologize if this has been covered already elsewhere…

Is there any good reason why VTM does not allow for multi-mono input in Pro Tools?

I don't see why L-R needs to be always linked… on a real tape machine the channels are independent, right? I remember many times getting distortion (electronic or tape saturation) on just one side of a 2-trk machine if something hit it too hard. And printing a stereo source to two channels of a 16-trk or 24-trk are independent by design.

Are we losing a little bit of life in the signal by linking the L-R channels all the time?

Also, I'm getting periodic crashes in PT 12.4.0 from VTM. Not common, but a couple times a week. Anyone else?

Anyone?
Old 14th January 2018
Lives for gear

The 5 year anniversary of the VTM was and went. Is there any plans to update this product in the future? New machines &/or tapes?

This is still my all time favourite plugin.
Old 14th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leevi View Post
The 5 year anniversary of the VTM was and went. Is there any plans to update this product in the future? New machines &/or tapes?

This is still my all time favourite plugin.
Last year a plethora of tape plugins from other companies was released. Among them:

Overloud Tapedesk
Softube Tape
Black Rooster Audio Magnetite
Hornet Tape
Voxengo CRTIV
Acustica Audio Lemon (it is primarily a delay plugin but its tape "preamps" are nice.)

U-he Satin is also and oldie but goodie. Many say it is the only plugin that nails the sound of tape compression.

Since VTM 2.0 probably wouldn't be a free plugin I'd look into those options.
Old 14th January 2018
Gear Nut

I'd love a tape plug from someone that replicates ****tier kind of lower speed/quality tape from 50's/60's. I would kill for something that sounds like Studio 1 reggae sounds, smeared distorted highs and grainy mids.

Anyone know of a plug that does this kind of thing?

I love VTM too but hate the latency thing as I have already whinged about in this thread maybe? I'm always having to take it off a mix when I decide to re-do something. I'd love to be able to mix into it from the get go but don't apply it until close to finishing for this reason.
Old 14th January 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by noisebomber View Post
I'd love a tape plug from someone that replicates ****tier kind of lower speed/quality tape from 50's/60's. I would kill for something that sounds like Studio 1 reggae sounds, smeared distorted highs and grainy mids.

Anyone know of a plug that does this kind of thing?

I love VTM too but hate the latency thing as I have already whinged about in this thread maybe? I'm always having to take it off a mix when I decide to re-do something. I'd love to be able to mix into it from the get go but don't apply it until close to finishing for this reason.
Zulu!

(not a plug of course)
Old 15th January 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by noisebomber View Post
Have you tried Satin? I'd probably start with slower tape speeds, and vintage tape. From there, I would play around with the pre-emphasis, and the EQ settings. Then, adjust the head bump, asperity, hiss, and wow and flutter to taste.
Old 15th January 2018
Lives for gear

Softube has some very slow tape speed options. All the way down to 1 ips.
Old 15th January 2018
Gear Nut

Thanks for these recommendations dudes, I haven't tried either of these and will be doing so.
Old 4th February 2018
Gear Maniac

Can someone explain me why VTM is calibrated to -15 while every other plug ins are -18 ?
Old 4th February 2018
You can calibrate however you want.
Old 5th February 2018
Gear Maniac

Yeap i know, but i was thinking there should be a reason why it is set like this
Old 5th February 2018
From what I remember it was a vote from users on here to set it that way by default.
Old 5th February 2018
Lives for gear

Details in the manual.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search