Old 26th June 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by T_R_S View Post
i want two of these
OWC OWCSSDEX3G960 960GB Mercury Electra MAX 3G SSD... in stock at OWC
It not as fast as some SSD's but it's big
Or this: OWC SSDPHW2R240 240GB Mercury Accelsior PCI Express... in stock at OWC is what I'm starting to think about since it (claims) would beat the speed on the SSD drives I use now.
Old 26th June 2012
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
i want two of these
That cost more than my laptop:(

Sent from my PC36100 using Gearslutz App
Old 26th June 2012
GnS
Gear Maniac

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Just do a quick serach for OCZ SSDs on the amazon ratings and you know better...
Old 26th June 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronwasserman View Post
Or this: OWC SSDPHW2R240 240GB Mercury Accelsior PCI Express... in stock at OWC is what I'm starting to think about since it (claims) would beat the speed on the SSD drives I use now.
Yes!!

I'm really glad to see someone posted about this.

The Accelsior is pretty close to the best most people could realistically get.

And believe me, the numbers OWC list on their site as far as speed are 100% reflective of real-world use. And the performance and reliability are simply high-end, top notch!

Furthermore, they've always made over-provisioning a priority and even list the over-provisioning specs for all their SSDs. If you don't know, over-provisioning in an SSD is a term used for protecting the SSD from "performance degradation" over time. There's plenty of info about over-provisioning on OWC's site (macsales.com) and how a portion of the drive is set aside to manage & avert performance degradation.

While some SSD's, if not many, will degrade over time as far as speed goes, the OWC stuff will not. At least not for a very, very long time and even then that's a rarity (I've actually never heard of it happening to anyone using OWC stuff).

They're the type of company that takes care of their customers (they did a HUGE favor for me back in January which was completely not beneficial to them in the least, financial-speaking, but it was a huge help to me. And they had no obligation at all to help me out. Just great people!

One other thing I wanted to point out about OWC is they seem, more than ever, geared toward the creative pro (audio, film, etc). And though they always have been, it really seems like their focus is on the stuff I see a lot of guys on GS ask for, generally speaking, which is refreshing after seeing lots of companies becoming more 'iOriented.'

Cheers!

Scott

P.S. I will say though, they've got to do something about the actual names of the products. They're so long, complex and hard to remember. Some of the product names are even hard to pronounce on top of being long, complex and hard to remember!! Haha

I've talked to them many times before about it just 'cause I love that company and they really do appreciate the feedback.

I think one of my million OWC products is called something like:

OWC Mercury Elite al Pro Dual-Hardware RAID Enclosure

Haha!!

Love ya OWC !!!!
Old 26th June 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by GnS View Post
Just do a quick serach for OCZ SSDs on the amazon ratings and you know better...
In my experience, and MANY, MANY OTHERS (remember the OCZ fiasco a while back...???) OCZ SSDs should be steered clear of. And then even worse...the way the company responded / reacted towards their paying customers regarding the issue was appaliing!!

Stay away...far away...from OCZ SSDs.

Compared to OWC SSDs....it's a total no brainer, IMO. I honestly don't know why anyone would ever choose an OCZ SSD over an OWC SSD.

On the other hand, if you're simply not into OWC for whatever reason, I'd also recommend Intel and Crucial SSDs.

Just not OCZ. Definitely not them.

Scott

P.S. I also believe OWC makes their stuff in the the good 'ole US of A!!
Old 26th June 2012
Lives for gear

Agreed. OWC has amazing customer service.
Old 26th June 2012 | Show parent
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirrorboy View Post
Unlikely. Assembled, maybe.

It says "Built in the USA" which is not the same as "Made in the USA"
Old 26th June 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted User View Post

Some OWC products are built in the USA, not China. There was an article about it last year (from their local city paper).

They're also 'greener' than most companies and have won the 'Green Award / Environmentally Conscious Award' (whatever those awards are called) numerous times.

Anyways, it's all on their site (macsales.com) or you can google it.

Scott
Old 27th June 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
The OWC SSD's in general are quite good. I had a few fail on me a couple of years ago, and another DOA. Great service though in getting me back up and running.
After the initial bad run, those I have now are also surviving the rigors of 12 hour days, 6 days a week quite well - and often left on over night (though less the last 12 months!)

I also use Crucial M4 SSD's... last bought them about 9 months ago for $1.40 a GB (512GB). Today, the price can be got for half that! A bargain, and a great disk.

These 960GB disks are very high cost per GB... if you can spare the space and SATA buss, grab 2x512's (or 480's) for the moment.
Old 27th June 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I would say every ssd is sufficient speaking about speed for 95 % of the tasks we have to manage in audio.
Of course size counts.
Then it's just a matter of slutty behaviour...
Old 27th June 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensorychaos View Post
I would say every ssd is sufficient speaking about speed for 95 % of the tasks we have to manage in audio.
Of course size counts.
Then it's just a matter of slutty behaviour...
Performance-degradation is a huge issue with SSDs. And the various SSD brands are all over the map as to how they address the issue, if at all. /-:

So in that sense, not all SSDs are created equally.

Also, the difference in speed between 3G and 6G SSDs is significant. 6G SSDs also have faster read times for small, random ~4Kb+ files which is really the most important spec to be looking at for DAW use and most everything else, for that matter.

Anyways, my point is I personally wouldn't take the, "...any SSD will get the job done..." philosophy simply because there are indeed many factors to take into account.

Scott
Old 28th June 2012
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I got a Samsung 830 256GB for about about 1$ per gig. It is amazing.
Old 28th June 2012
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Instant buy when it's in Europe !! looking for more reliability feedback .....

thks TRS for sharing the info ....
Old 29th June 2012
Old 29th June 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
So the question mark means you don't get it? Or has the image link been broken and that's the default image?

If the former:

I re-read what I wrote.

Seems pretty blatantly obviously comprehendible, cohesive and on topic. Well-written, too, if I must say so myself ( (: ) and I hope it helped the OP or another GS user...and I'm sure it did / will.

So again, what does the question mark imply? (gotta love the 'virtual courage' many users crave on Internet forums.....like alcohol + a shy girl/boy = liquid courage! Lol)

Or, if you simply don't know much about computer stuff, SSDs, etc I'd be glad to try and help you out when I can.....but I'd need you to be much more specific.

And as for the complete other end of the spectrum, the latter:

What was the pic? Can u post again?

Thx.

Scott
Ummmm...what? Wrong Quote Perhaps lol.
Old 29th June 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonoBrow View Post
Ummmm...what? Wrong Quote Perhaps lol.
Every post by this account has been just like that....
Old 30th June 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremycox View Post
Every post by this account has been just like that....
Are you saying from my account or the guy's account who posted the image/question mark? Or Monobrow?

peace ~

Scott
Old 30th June 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Are you saying from my account or the guy's account who posted the image/question mark? Or Monobrow?

peace ~

Scott
Yeah, the other poster...
Old 1st July 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
i want two of these
Poor Read speed (when You compare to samsung 830 512 GB or Crucial m4 512 GB or Vertex 4 512 GB). Write speed are low too (like on Crucial m4). TRIM will not work (there is 2x sandforce controller, and it look like internal RAID).
Old 1st July 2012
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Where did you get non trim support info ?

What about this one ?

Sub-$1500 Kingmax 1TB SSD spotted in Japan -- Engadget

Old 2nd July 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted User View Post

those 2 just say "more expensive" these days not particular "good" or better than made in china.
Old 2nd July 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Old 2nd July 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle_PL View Post
Poor Read speed (when You compare to samsung 830 512 GB or Crucial m4 512 GB or Vertex 4 512 GB). Write speed are low too (like on Crucial m4). TRIM will not work (there is 2x sandforce controller, and it look like internal RAID).
OWC SSD's have built in TRIM, this model is 3G sata not 6G as the Samsung 530 so the speed comparison is probably not fair when size is the selling point.
Old 2nd July 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedomus View Post
OWC SSD's have built in TRIM, this model is 3G sata not 6G as the Samsung 530 so the speed comparison is probably not fair when size is the selling point.
+1 - That's an absurd comparison.

When comparing fairly (3G vs 3G / 6G vs 6G, etc) I'd love for someone to show me an SSD that can not only perform (speed) as well as OWC's SSDs, but provide the stability (reliability over time), has better drive degradation defenses (7% to 12 % over-provisioning / 3-5 yr warrant on all SSDs) and of course the best customer service in the biz!!

Honestly, OWC's SSDs are the absolute bomb!!!

The new one that just came out comes via PCIe does something like 800 or 900 MB/s sustained!!!!!

WOW!!

Scott

P.S. The advertised speeds on OWC's site for their various SSD offerings are always right on with real-world use. No exaggerating.

P.P.S. I have six OWC SSDs. Four are 3G and I've had them for about 2 years. The other two are 6G. Not a single one of them has show an inkling of performance degradation. No degradation of any kind, for that matter.
Old 2nd July 2012 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedomus View Post
TRIM is a system command. There is no "TRIM built in" (SSD can only support the TRIM). But it could be Garbage Collection ... and this is not the same.

ps. about "speed comparison is not fair, because OWC is SATA 2" - I could say "OWC are poor bacause is only SATA 2" if You prefer this answer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeezo View Post
Where did you get non trim support info ?
As I know, TRIM doesn't work in RAID.

Quote:
I'd love for someone to show me an SSD that can not only perform (speed) as well as OWC's SSDs, but provide the stability (reliability over time), has better drive degradation defenses (7% to 12 % over-provisioning / 3-5 yr warrant on all SSDs)
Bigger over-provisioning, doesn't give You automatically longer SSD life. If You want extra "hard to kill" SSD, buy model on SLC chips.

ps. Vertex 4 have 5 yr warranty
Old 2nd July 2012
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I'm sure you very knowing with all this Kyle, but at the end of the day OWC supply great SSD's for the Mac environment, they maintain the read/write speeds advertised and 960GB is a load of SSD regardless of TRIM or Garbage Collection.
The price is the only thing slowing the inevitable purchase for the Optibay of my 2011 MBPro!
Old 3rd July 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle_PL View Post
TRIM is a system command. There is no "TRIM built in". But it could be Garbage Collection ... and this is not the same.

ps. about "speed comparison is not fair, because OWC is SATA 2" - I could say "OWC are poor bacause is only SATA 2" if You prefer this answer
While you're whole post was false, I'll just focus on this gem:

"speed comparison is not fair, because OWC is SATA 2" - I could say "OWC are poor bacause is only SATA 2" if You prefer this answer

------

My experience:

OWC makes the best SATA 6G SSDs. Period. These SSDs literally saturate almost the entire 6Gb/s bus.

SATA 6G is SATA 3.0...just in case you didn't know.

So saying what you wrote above in quotes.....

...could not possibly make less sense.

You should have a look at some of the SSD review sites (there's plenty) and familiarize yourself a bit more with what's out there.

Scott
Old 3rd July 2012
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
In my experience, and MANY, MANY OTHERS (remember the OCZ fiasco a while back...???) OCZ SSDs should be steered clear of. And then even worse...the way the company responded / reacted towards their paying customers regarding the issue was appaliing!!

Stay away...far away...from OCZ SSDs.

Compared to OWC SSDs....it's a total no brainer, IMO. I honestly don't know why anyone would ever choose an OCZ SSD over an OWC SSD.

On the other hand, if you're simply not into OWC for whatever reason, I'd also recommend Intel and Crucial SSDs.

Just not OCZ. Definitely not them.

Scott

I agree regarding OSZ, just had one that messed me up forever before I finally found out what was wrong w my machine. SO ANNOYING.
Old 3rd July 2012 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:

SATA 6G is SATA 3.0...just in case you didn't know.

if you read carefully you would know that it was written (SATA2 = 3Gbit, SATA3 = 6 Gbit)

next time .... try to think
Quote:
While you're whole post was false, I'll just focus on this gem:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TRIM
"TRIM command allows an operating system to inform a solid-state drive " ... TRIM must be supported by SSD, AND by OS ... my "false gem". Simply talking TRIM is a OS command "to" SSD, which supports TRIM.
πŸ“ Reply