The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Røde Microphones Buys Event Electronics
Old 4th June 2006
Lives for gear

Interesting move on Rodes part.

Torrance, CA/Carpinteria, CA (June 2, 2006)--The Australian based microphone manufacturer, Røde, has acquired California-based Event Electronics, makers of professional studio monitors. Event will remain based in Carpinteria, CA.

"Event is a long established and very well respected brand with a strong domestic and international sales program. We see a great deal of synergy in this union and I am excited about the potential for expansion of the line," said Peter Freedman, president of Røde Microphones.

Røde employs 80 people at a high-tech plant in Sydney, Australia. They have a dedicated distribution and service center located in Torrance, CA which is headed by Mark Ludmer, an industry veteran with over 20 years experience in the music technology industry. Ludmer also takes on the role of CEO of Event.

Røde has been friendly with Event since the company was formed, with Event being instrumental in launching Røde on the U.S. market. There has, and continues to be a strong personal relationship between the company principals.

"I love speaker technology," said Freedman. "I'm fascinated by that sector and always wanted to get involved. I can now play with both ends of the transducer spectrum. I've got the 'In and the Out'."
Old 4th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldone
Interesting move on Rodes part.

Torrance, CA/Carpinteria, CA (June 2, 2006)--The Australian based microphone manufacturer, Røde, has acquired California-based Event Electronics, makers of professional studio monitors. Event will remain based in Carpinteria, CA.
Holy ****................ I can see event monitors going down....
Old 4th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingneeraj
Holy ****................ I can see event monitors going down....

Worse yet, they will have a harsh bump at about 3.7k, like all their mics.
Old 4th June 2006
Lives for gear

Glad I got my ASP8's already!
Old 4th June 2006
Lives for gear

I think this is good news.
Old 4th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pingu
I think this is good news.
me too
Old 4th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldone
You own every Rode mic?
Old 4th June 2006
Lives for gear

Not sure, but didn't Event's main speaker designers leave and form Blue Sky? I think this will be interesting.
Old 4th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yeah i have heard your mixes man, they grate at 3.7k, its hard to stand.
You really should not have gone out and bought all of their mics.
Old 4th June 2006
Lives for gear

Just a joke guys, regarding the high end bump. I actually own the NTK which still gets used on occassion. I have tried the Classic which is a really decent mic but the one I looked at was in really bad shape so I passed.

I also demo'd the K2 which is also a nice mic but similar to the NTK so I had that color.

I also use the ASP8s.
Old 4th June 2006
Lives for gear

I think Rode make some excellent microphones for the money. Who can really argue with the K2? And the NT5 really can get some great results with judicious placement and the correct pairing of mic pre.

Paul Blenn
Old 4th June 2006
Lives for gear

A bit off topic as I can't really comment on Rode buying Event, but I have a couple of old Rode NTV tube mics that I swapped the ECC81's for some nos Telefunken tubes and they sound really good. I picked up both mics on eBay many moons ago for well under 500 per and I still use em all the time.
TommyD
Old 4th June 2006
Gear Maniac

Well, I've heard of worse takeovers...

Having met a fair few of the people at Rode, I couldn't imagine Event in better hands. Rode haven't always made the best mics (I bought and sold an NTK too!) but they make a bunch of great stuff for the money, and their support for their products is great too. The main thing Event could gain from Rode is good marketing. Rode have built their business very very quickly. It will be interesting...

sh.
Old 4th June 2006
Lives for gear

I must follow and say

Yes i must agree too... that true, for the price range, Rodes MIc are very GOOD. For instance thats what i've been using for my production until lately that i've purchased tghe beautifull Tube Mic from Sontronics HELIOS (great MIc ) again for the price and for the price, its just like a give away. Only my opinion and experience with these Items.

Now as for Rode acquiring Event, lets see.. maybe its a POsitive move, only time and their product will talk for them.

Give a chance to the RUNNER!!! never know!!!thumbsup
Old 8th June 2006
Gear Maniac

With the popularity of the ASP8 I would think Event would be selling at a rather high price right now.

Rode and Event are really very similar companies, making decently inexpensive products, independent, principled companies with good customer service.

I'm glad to see Event gain some leverage since I have the ASP8 monitors, but I would have rather seen them bought by ADAM or something - someone with different and dare I say more advanced ideas about speaker design. In terms of developement, I don't see what Rode and Event have to offer each other.

b

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search