The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Massey L2007 Mastering Limiter plug-in now released Dynamics Plugins
Old 3rd June 2006
Gear Nut

Thumbs up Massey L2007 Mastering Limiter plug-in now released

Sounds great & easy to use. What more to say? Available in both RTAS and TDM formats.

A fully useable demo is available at: http://www.masseyplugins.com/

Let me know what y'all think!

Thanks,
Steve
Old 3rd June 2006
Gear Addict

I love you man.
Old 3rd June 2006
Lives for gear

Still hoping for VST support !!

and I do like the humour on the site wrt to the pricing of this plug

heh
Old 3rd June 2006
Gear Head

just downloaded it and tried it for a few minutes on a country album i'm doing. wanted to get a "quick take" on it. A/Bd it vs an L2. It's easily in the same league. Seems to preserve a little more thump on the snare. And not that it has anything to do with sound, but I LOVE the look and really LOVE the price. That's my quick take.

Now... to figure out what the hell "vibrant" sounds like...

:-)
brian
Old 3rd June 2006
Lives for gear

can't wait to try it!!
Old 3rd June 2006
Gear Maniac

VERY COOL!!!
Old 3rd June 2006
Lives for gear

DL'ing it now.

Massey is the new LOUD thumbsup

ruudman
Old 3rd June 2006
Gear Maniac

Great so far! The kindest "crank it" plug I've tried. It doesn't automatically turn your music into distortion/noise. Can't wait to get to know it better. Thanks again Steve!!
Old 3rd June 2006
Lives for gear

Still curious if it's running 48-bit double precision. And, whether it's possible to get output ceiling settings in exact figures (ie -0.3) ..

I suppose I can download and try it to answer the latter.. But any insight on the first question would be great!

-dave
Old 3rd June 2006
Gear Nut

Cool. I'm looking forward to trying out the different modes. Should be very versatile. Steve, you know I want an AU version. Please don't disappoint.

Old 3rd June 2006
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave-G
Still curious if it's running 48-bit double precision. And, whether it's possible to get output ceiling settings in exact figures (ie -0.3) ..

I suppose I can download and try it to answer the latter.. But any insight on the first question would be great!

-dave
Hello Dave,

Yes, it's 48-bit precision. I've added precision text inputs to the Full version that you can access by clicking the Threshold or Max Output labels.

Thanks,
Steve
Old 3rd June 2006
Lives for gear

Thanks, Steve!

I'll look forward to trying it this coming week.

-dave
Old 3rd June 2006
Lives for gear

We need to get Steve's plugs ported to Pt 7.1.1...
heh
Old 4th June 2006
Lives for gear

Any ideas on Mac Intel versions?

R.
Old 4th June 2006
Gear Addict

How about RTAS, is it 64-bit "Double Precision" floating processing?

Thanks!
Old 4th June 2006
Gear Addict

I think it sounds better than Maxim. Great job Steve!
Dave McNair
Old 4th June 2006
Lives for gear

It sounds quite good, nice job. However, without a bypass it is really tough to test properly. The key for me is to switch a plug in and out and listen for subtle changes to the program material. I can't do that here, so while it sounds good, I can't torture test it the way I need to in order to make an informed purchase decision.

An AU version would also be a very nice thing.
Old 4th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert
It sounds quite good, nice job. However, without a bypass it is really tough to test properly. The key for me is to switch a plug in and out and listen for subtle changes to the program material. I can't do that here, so while it sounds good, I can't torture test it the way I need to in order to make an informed purchase decision.

You could bus to another track and record the audio with the limiter on, then flip between that track and one that has the unproccessed audio using your solo buttons.

Maybe.
Old 4th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:

Forgive me if Im overlooking something here but cant you use your DAWs bypass switch ?
Old 4th June 2006
Lives for gear

There's no bypass on the Massey demos. If you de-activate the plug, it will turn to default setting when re-activating it.

I'd go with Allstar's suggestion.

Maxim killer, someone mentioned, but is it a L2 killer?
Let's hear it boys!

ruudman
Old 4th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by allstar
You could bus to another track and record the audio with the limiter on, then flip between that track and one that has the unproccessed audio using your solo buttons.
Thanks for the good suggestion, I'm going to try this.
Old 4th June 2006
Yes~ I think it Kills the -L2.

sound transparency -wise. functions-wise.
I 've used it just a little.
and I'am not interested in slamming limiters , it sounds like dfegad .
However the basic sound of this plug is open.
when limiting it has useful different settings.
those who did not like ARC on L2 and prefer pumping artifacts to mid -range grunge will like the smooth setting
(more like the Oxford Limiter , which altered the tone of sounds in a different flavor
which i liked less then the L2 tonally albeit more stereo widely and cleanly high freq -wise then the L2).
And I think mellow is an amazing all -around transparent sound Steve found a way to lessen distortion and pumping and maintain
transparency.(like it all-around better then oxford and L2 tonally and stereo image wise.)

I want to play with it more. But its a winner!
I would love an Audiosuite version as well....Thanks Steve!!!!!!!You make music sound better!
Old 4th June 2006
Gear Addict

Steve any plan to do a drum sound replacer plugin ?
Old 4th June 2006
Gear Maniac

Just tried it on a track using "Vibrant" mode and it sounds awesome! Gonna play more, but dude you rock!!

--> freddie
Old 4th June 2006
Gear Nut

I played around with it yesterday, and yes, I believe it competes very favorably with the establishment, sound-wise. It then gets extra points for it's versatility with the multiple modes and release settings. I also like the scale on the GR meter; very usable. Good job, Steve.
Old 5th June 2006
Lives for gear

I'm so pumped about this (note other thread of pure excitement in the wrong forum. Haha.)!! I'm at work right now, gettin' the small bucks so I can buy this in the upcoming weeks. Yesss!
Old 5th June 2006
Lives for gear

I don't know. $89 is a lot for a plugin. I think I'm gonna pass on this. heh heh heh JUST KIDDING! I'm gonna try it out tonight, and I'm sure I'll buy it about 10 minutes after using it. Steve has made some killer plugins. Really digging Tapehead and CT4. I don't really need another limiter, but I like Steve's plugins and business model, so I'll be supporting him as long as he continues making great products and charging reasonable prices. So I'll keep using and buying Massey plugins until the day Roger Nichols buys the distribution rights and starts charging 4 times the price for the same plugins but different name. What do you think this one would be called? The SLAMORIZOR?? heh heh heh heh heh
Old 6th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:

If you're on Mac, you can quickly make a plugin inactive by control-command-clicking on the plugin in the mix window or the plugin name tile on the plugin's GUI.

It won't stop the playback.

edit: on the Massey Limiter, when you reactivate the plugin, it comes back with it's settings on default unlike most RTAS plugins. Which is fine. I think it's worth buying based on a quick run around the block with it. Who can't use a good limiter for individual tracks if not the two bus? So far it sounds nice on e. guitars. Haven't tried it on much else.
Old 6th June 2006
Gear Maniac

Mr Massey thanks again.

I ve already emailed you about the eq, and the tapehead.
Loved the comp and loving the limiter even more.
Incredible plugs whatever the price, i find the limiter to be the most versatile one in terms of colour (or the lack of as much of it).
Having spent more time with it, ct4 is lovely in the way it handles low end content.
Ah, makes me wish all the cool plug developers would start out so easy going, in terms of price and support/communication as well.

Gigantic thumbsup up.

oh, i still think it'd be nice to have some more control on the tapehead normal / bright section.
Old 6th June 2006
Lives for gear

Must admit, I have not given the other plugs much of a go (actually pulled outta my list) without a bypass, but I was defiinitely in the market for something better then the Maxim....and I used to have the L2 and disliked it as well. I was thinking I might go with the Oxford, but after hearing this demo I think Daddy has found a new limiter!!!
Good job, nice and open and I loved the options, esp vibrant!
Thanks and a purchase is headed your way.
Daniel

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search