The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Massey L2007 Mastering Limiter plug-in now released Dynamics Plugins
Old 7th May 2007
Lives for gear

As a ProTools user, I'd prefer Steve spend his time developing more plugins for RTAS, rather than put his precious time into recreating his existing plugins in AU. If he has to wait for a contract programmer to port the AU plugs, then so be it. I'd rather that than have him take time away from developing new plugins.

I also use Digital Performer and would certainly pick up the AU versions when they are available.
Old 7th May 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert View Post
As a ProTools user, I'd prefer Steve spend his time developing more plugins for RTAS, rather than put his precious time into recreating his existing plugins in AU. If he has to wait for a contract programmer to port the AU plugs, then so be it. I'd rather that than have him take time away from developing new plugins.
Agreed! We PT users are far more important, and higher on the food chain.

DAWinism, if you will.

(bling)
Old 7th May 2007
Yeah, I was just gonna say it's nice to have something in PTLE that nobody else can touch...

THEM:

"Ha ha, you don't have ADC!"

"Ha ha, you're limited to 32 voices [or 48 tracks with an optional & expensive toolkit]!"

"Ha ha, you have to be tethered to crap hardware to even open the software!"

ME:

"Ha ha, we have MASSEY plug-ins!" So fuuck!!!
Old 7th May 2007
Deleted bd1be4f
Although on the flipside, we all probably want to see a good guy like Steve be as successful as possible, and opening up the VST/AU market would definitely increase his customer base...
Old 7th May 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by zboy2854 View Post
Although on the flipside, we all probably want to see a good guy like Steve be as successful as possible, and opening up the VST/AU market would definitely increase his customer base...
It would, but it would also increase his support commitments with all the new platforms, and this may or may not have an adverse effect on his existing customer base. He's just one guy!
Old 8th May 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gear Tramp View Post
Agreed! We PT users are far more important, and higher on the food chain.

DAWinism, if you will.

(bling)

Yes I agree, we are paramount to the industry.
Old 19th May 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribbonmicguy View Post
I've been using tapehead on snare/toms/kick/bass/vocals/guitars/keys, EVERYTHING that needs BALLZ.
Just wanted to bump this thread as I'm a recent Massey convert...

Tapehead really is that -- when the track needs some extra ballz. It really delivers.

L2007 is awesome too. For me, definitely an L2 killer.

Thanks Steve for the great plugs!

- proxy
Old 7th July 2007
Here for the gear

Intel MacBook Pro?

Hey guys, I've heard nothing but great things about the new limiter, but when I downloaded the demo version to check it out on my macbook its not on the insert list. On the website it says the plugs are Intel-compatible. What gives?
Old 7th July 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_blaze View Post
Hey guys, I've heard nothing but great things about the new limiter, but when I downloaded the demo version to check it out on my macbook its not on the insert list. On the website it says the plugs are Intel-compatible. What gives?
The demo only works at 44.1 or 48khz ... could that be it?
Old 8th July 2007
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by terminal3 View Post
The demo only works at 44.1 or 48khz ... could that be it?
No, I'm working at 48k. The THC plug shows up, but the L2007 and the others don't show.
Old 8th July 2007
Lives for gear

moi aussi

Quote:

i have a macbook pro (the new 17" model) and this same exact thing happened to me. it doesn't show up.

- c
Old 8th July 2007
Lives for gear

I had the exact same problem with his CT4 plugin. Here's the solution that Steve sent me that might work for you too:

"If you quit Pro Tools and re-run the CT4 installer that should clear it up. (Alternatively, trashing your "DAE Prefs" folder should do the trick too.)"
Old 8th July 2007
Lives for gear

I just wanted to bump again. These plugs are some of my favs now. Limiter is the go to. It's so musical and is incredibly versatile, as are all of the Massey plugs.

It's amazing how hard it has been for me to convert some of my diehard L2 buddies, just because of the low price.
Old 8th July 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
No, I'm working at 48k. The THC plug shows up, but the L2007 and the others don't show.
Sounds like you downloaded the wrong installer. In your case, you want the one labeled "OS X + Intel"

Steve
Old 8th July 2007
Lives for gear

Also, check your multi-mono plugins list on stereo sources.

A couple of his plugins will only show up in mono and multi-mono mode, not stereo.
Old 8th July 2007
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert View Post
I had the exact same problem with his CT4 plugin. Here's the solution that Steve sent me that might work for you too:

"If you quit Pro Tools and re-run the CT4 installer that should clear it up. (Alternatively, trashing your "DAE Prefs" folder should do the trick too.)"
Thanks for the help guys. Rerunning the installer worked. The L2007 is great!
Old 22nd July 2007
Gear Maniac

Thumbs up Massey L2007, I finally get it!

I finally just realized the power and simplicity of the L2007. I just pseudo mastered one of my old albums using the RennComp and the L2007, and it really is "a make things louder plugin", with out screwing it up. It is very transparent but warm and can add some nice aggression if you push it. I used the RennComp first on Opto mode with 2-3db max reduction and made up the gain and then some with the L2007. It worked amazing. Such great bang for your buck.

Anyway, I am not saying anything that anyone else hasn't already said, but I just wanted to give my humble thumbs up.
Old 29th August 2007
giving this thread an august bump, I just mixed a web TV show with this bad boy on the stereo buss and it was friggin' awesome. t'was very nearly set & forget, and the results sound superb.
Old 17th September 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by allbaldo View Post
Great so far! The kindest "crank it" plug I've tried. It doesn't automatically turn your music into distortion/noise. Can't wait to get to know it better. Thanks again Steve!!
I agree 100% none of the limiters i was trying could make a heavy rock mix as loud as i wanted without pumping the mix and distorting it slightly. This plugin handles it well and sounds much more dynamic even when slammed.

I will be purchasing it pronto.

Thumbs up.
Old 2nd December 2007
Gear Nut

I checked the website and could not find the answer to this . . .

Will the L2007 work on:
Protools LE 6.7

I have:
1.6 GHz iMac PowerPC G5
2GB RAM
Old 2nd December 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by PT6.7UZR View Post
I checked the website and could not find the answer to this . . .

Will the L2007 work on:
Protools LE 6.7

I have:
1.6 GHz iMac PowerPC G5
2GB RAM
Yes, Pro Tools 6 and up.
High-end plug-ins for Pro Tools
Old 2nd December 2007
Gear Nut

Thank you.

BTW I forgot to ask if the L2007 is a good choice for my music.
I record solo classical music on an acoustic grand piano.
Old 2nd December 2007

Quote:
Thank you.

The L2007 is a great limiter, I think that it'll suit your needs pretty well but why don't you download the demo and try it for yourself? That's the best way to find out if it is what you're looking for .
Old 3rd December 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oroz View Post
The L2007 is a great limiter, I think that it'll suit your needs pretty well but why don't you download the demo and try it for yourself? That's the best way to find out if it is what you're looking for .
+1 on all that.

Classical music especially calls for limiting (if any at all) that's uncolored. Compared to the other software options (with the exception of the expensive TC Electronic MD3), L2007 is the cleanest and keeps the sound relatively intact while limiting. The demo gives you all the sonic functionality of the purchased plugin, just now ability to save or bypass, which is fine for evaluating.
Old 3rd December 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Definitely. The Massey has become our main mastering limiter, and we are pretty serious about our piano recording. Of course, for classical material, you should set it so that it isn't doing any attenuation at all, except to tame the occasional spike.

JSL
Old 3rd December 2007
Lives for gear

I finally purchased the L2007 after demoing it for the last few months. Such a great sounding plugin at a very real world price. I had to give the man some money. Thanks Steve, keep those RTAS plugins coming!
Old 7th June 2008
Lives for gear

we use this at the studio but it's a shame i cant use it as an AU in logic... id spend the money in a heartbeat ... i have no good options that i can think of ...

i hate L2 btw so thats not an option for me
Old 2nd December 2008
Here for the gear

Am I missing something?

No matter how loud I try to make something in pro tools... any CD I pop in or anything I play on I-tunes is way louder. Even if I completely slam it past oblivion and it sounds like absolute death. It's still quiet.

Is there something wrong with my pro-tools?

I am using the Massey L2007 Limiter Plugin. I was starting to think maybe somebody referred it to me to play a joke on me. But i just read all the great reviews here, and it must work.. so what gives? Is there some setting in preferences that make my meters will work properly?

blah
Old 2nd December 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Shane Tyler View Post
No matter how loud I try to make something in pro tools... any CD I pop in or anything I play on I-tunes is way louder. Even if I completely slam it past oblivion and it sounds like absolute death. It's still quiet.

I am using the Massey L2007 Limiter Plugin. I was starting to think maybe somebody referred it to me to play a joke on me. But i just read all the great reviews here, and it must work.. so what gives? Is there some setting in preferences that make my meters will work properly?

blah
It proves that there's more to a loud mix than pegged meters. Stop trying to make it loud and just make it sound good. A/B your mix with your favorite sounding mix pulled down 6-10db to match levels. Once they are comparable this way, you're more likely to have a mix that can handle "loud" mastering. Oh yeah, and hire a good mastering engineer and sit in on the session. You find there's a lot more to mastering than just making it louder as well. Good luck.
Old 2nd December 2008
Deleted bd1be4f
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Shane Tyler View Post

blah
There's nothing wrong with your Pro Tools. It's you. Sorry to be blunt about it, but if you can't get the levels you want, it's a problem with either your mix or how you're trying to make it "loud".

Without hearing your mix, off that bat I'd guess you have issues with your low end, and maybe your mids. If you don't have a subwoofer or other setup that allows you to hear exactly what's going on in the low end, I'm going to guess that you've got too much low end in your mix and you don't even realize it. It's amazing how much a buildup of low end EQ that you can't even hear will eat up headroom in a mix.

So my first suggestion just as an experiment is to throw a high pass filter on your whole mix and roll off everything below say 40-50Hz. See what that does to the limiter and your headroom.

The other thing that makes a difference with apparent loudness is the midrange, specifically the 800Hz-3k area, which is the area where the human ear is most sensitive. Some well placed boosts in that area works wonders to make the mix more "forward" and increase perceived loudness (of course it should all be balanced so the mids don't rip your face off ).

And also it should be mentioned that professional ME's have all sorts of tools and techniques that they employ besides just a brick wall limiter to get mixes loud without sounding like crap, such as multiband compressors, clipping the converters, high end transparent compressors, etc.

Bottom line, it's not the tools, it's knowing how to use them.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search