The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Red Mic introduces new capsule for Oktava
Old 19th July 2006
Lives for gear

so you have to be three feet away from the mic to get no proximity effect?
Old 19th July 2006
500 series nutjob

very few mic's do not have proximity effect to some degree or another.
i do not see the issue, proximity effect can be a very valuable, we are not talking voice over here.
the difference?
many companies just do not give you this info, so you are simply not aware of just how much proximity effect is present.
so i would not sweet it, if you need a bit more bass suck it up, you need less pull it back.
Old 20th July 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxonestudios
so my capsules are coming in on Monday...just in time for me to go out of town for 2 weeks...but will but post the results when I get them

Fox my man, any time with them yet??
Old 21st July 2006
Gear Maniac

And now, a bit of confusion.

There's one frequency response chart at Red's page which looks like this:

and then, there's oktavausa.com's freq response chart:

I don't understand.
Old 21st July 2006
500 series nutjob

i think that last one, ( the oktavausa.com's freq response chart ) was a early chart on red's site that was incorrect and quickly replaced.
someone should clue oktavausa in.
Old 22nd July 2006
Gear Nut

mystery plot

That second plot looked like it was from a ribbon mic. Actually, that might have been an intersting alternative...

It does not look like any of the other capsules blue/red makes so I wonder where the mystery plot came from?

Could there be a red ribon in our future, or is that the new okatava capsule at 180 degrees?
Old 24th July 2006
Gear Nut

i haven't...sorry, i'm trying to get some time with them either later this week or sometime next week...sorry to keep you slutz waiting
Old 24th July 2006
Here for the gear

Thanks for the heads-up guys! We have contacted Oktava about the chart. The one from our site is the correct response plot.
Old 25th July 2006
Lives for gear

I'm sorry...this may have been answered but I can't find it...

Are there replacement capsules for the MC-012 pencil mics?

And did you say "rent?"
Old 25th July 2006
Here for the gear

The Oktava capsule was designed specifically for the MK-012. We cannot guarantee it to work with amp bodies other than the original.

And yes, we do rent, but only the Type B and Red capsule.
Old 15th August 2006
Gear Nut

I got one a while ago. At first I wasn't too impressed, to be honest. It was dark and mushy on a male vocal and didn't sound as good as the small Oktava cap on acoustic guitar.

However, I just recently used one on a cranked Twin (-10 pad in, of course) and it sounded absolutely fantastic. It's also pretty damn cool on a kick drum and it can handle quite a bit of SPL abuse with the pad screwed on.

Anyway, I still have yet to try it on anything else, but i have a feeling it will prove very useful. For $200 I would say it's a no-brainer for anyone with one or more 012's lying about.
Old 16th September 2006
Lives for gear

Promises made

Still looking for a review of the Red MK012 lollipop replacement capsule.
Old 18th September 2006
Lives for gear

Any more comments on this from those who have them?
Old 18th September 2006
Jai guru deva om

I've got one in right now, and tracked some female vocals with it last week. I haven't had time for comparisons but it did a reasonable job and I rocked on with it.

More later.

War
Old 2nd October 2006
500 series nutjob

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead View Post
I've got one in right now, and tracked some female vocals with it last week. I haven't had time for comparisons but it did a reasonable job and I rocked on with it.

More later.

War
anything new to report War?
any other sources?
Old 3rd October 2006
Jai guru deva om

I wish, this week is one for getting ready for the AES show.

More soon!

War
Old 28th October 2006
500 series nutjob

bump
Old 1st November 2006
Lives for gear

Anyone try them yet?
Old 12th November 2006
Here for the gear

Exclamation Price just increased

Well I just purchased the 6 capsule matched pair of mk012s from oktava usa and I also picked up one red capsule. Should arrive on wednesday. I was just flipping through the red and vintagemic.com sites and saw that yesterday or today they have increased the price from $200 to $350. I think oktava USA still has them at $200 so if any of you were on the edge you should probably get it now before the price goes up at oktava too.
Old 12th November 2006
Lives for gear

I think the $350 price at vintagemic.com is WITH a oktava body. Not just the capsule.
Old 12th November 2006
Here for the gear

Ahh

Yep your right
Old 13th November 2006
Lives for gear

The Oktava MK-102 capsule for the '012 body is another option. Front End audio has them for $165: http://www.frontendaudio.com/Oktava_...one_p/9638.htm

This capsule was introduced in 2005 and feautres a 5 micron diaphragm and all-brass backplate contruction for a more extended HF response than the well-known 219/319 capsule. The close-fitting housing surrounds the capsule and allows the front diaphragm to function in free-air without internal headbasket reflections.

This capsule on the '012 body maintains an essestially flat frequency response from 0 to 180 degrees. The off-axis attenuation is very smooth over that range. So the 102 is a mic that has big LDC qualities with smooth sibilance-free top end that hears a spectrum-balanced room sound.
Old 11th December 2006
Lives for gear

Bumpy!
Old 16th July 2007
Lives for gear

Any new updates on this?
Old 16th July 2007
Lives for gear

Dang, I saw this and thought they had another "new" capsule - just the same old "new" capsule. I've been worked up about these a few times, but end up not pulling the trigger for some reason.
Old 16th July 2007
Lives for gear

Sorry to excite you heh

I was also thinking about grabbing a pair of these to go with my modded matched set of MK-012's but every thread seems to end with "I will report back with my thoughts/findings/results" and no one every gave a final review.

Anybody want to finish up this thread with some good information about the red caps on the 012?
Old 16th July 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephent28 View Post
Sorry to excite you heh

I was also thinking about grabbing a pair of these to go with my modded matched set of MK-012's but every thread seems to end with "I will report back with my thoughts/findings/results" and no one every gave a final review.

Anybody want to finish up this thread with some good information about the red caps on the 012?
- no problem. Yeah, lack of reviews and user info is probably what has kept me away, too. Are yours Dorsey or OktavaMod? Mine are stock, so far (6 capper/wood).
Old 17th July 2007
Lives for gear

I have the Oktavamods MK-012-20 boxed set with 4 caps for each mic.

Also have a modded MK-319 and a the MK-105.

Great mics when modded by Michael for the money.
Old 17th July 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephent28 View Post
I have the Oktavamods MK-012-20 boxed set with 4 caps for each mic.

Also have a modded MK-319 and a the MK-105.

Great mics when modded by Michael for the money.
Yeah, I have that box with empty slots for the MK-102 cap's.

I'll probably get the PE upgrade for my bodies later this year and then I'm done with mics, until I can afford the DPA 4011's I'm in love with (which may be never!).

Since you have the 102's, I'd really like to hear your comparison of them with the R12 - maybe Red or one of their dealers would let you demo one?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search