The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
SHADOW HILLS and BAREFOOT SOUND DEMO PARTY IN HOLLYWOOD, CA!!!! DON'T MISS IT!!! Studio Monitors
Old 4th June 2006
Lives for gear

Looks like a lot of fun fellas. Thanks for sharing the pics.

Did sb not make it?
Old 4th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by barefoot
Yeah, the volume was a little intense last night. Any of you who met my partner Tetness know that he's a great guy and a blast to be around. He also happens to be a guitarist who likes to play things LOUD, and he sometimes gets a little carried away. heh It probably didn't take most of you long to figure out that the MM27s have LOTS of power. And since the tweeter channel has an enormous amount of headroom, it doesn't compress at high volumes like many other speakers. So the full spectrum just keeps going up along with the volume knob.
I don't know if keeping the volume down is the proper solution. In the volume the MM27s made me want to cover my ears, the S3As sounded smooth...I could listen to them for a long time w/o too much fatigue. And I don't feel the sound changes by turning them down.

I guess my point is that I do think the 3-5K area on the Barefoots could be tamed. You said you could work on 2 different profiles so maybe thats the ticket.
Old 5th June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by syra
I don't know if keeping the volume down is the proper solution. In the volume the MM27s made me want to cover my ears, the S3As sounded smooth...I could listen to them for a long time w/o too much fatigue. And I don't feel the sound changes by turning them down.

I guess my point is that I do think the 3-5K area on the Barefoots could be tamed. You said you could work on 2 different profiles so maybe thats the ticket.
I understand your concerns. We received our MM27s a month ago. We all gathered around and cranked them up. With a MASTERED rock cd, at a loud volume, they sounded bright. However, as we started working with them in normal situations (normal volumes), we realized that what they are giving us is just the TRUTH. Seriously, these things are indispensible. I mixed a dense rock track the other day with a lot of tracks, that was recorded all digitally. Even with our 192/ Rosetta 800 convertors (w/ Big Ben clock) we still have had difficulty with buildup in that 2-8k region when mixing songs with a lot of tracks.

That was with our Ns-10, Genelec 1031a/ 1094 sub setup. NOW, with the Barefoots we hear it all so clearly that we make better mix decisions and turn out better mixes -- hands down. These dont hype anything -- they do make obvious the recent trend on harsh sounding rock records. I spend half of my time mastering (in our other room with B&Ws etc...) and I can say that the mixes done on the Barefoots are really EASY to master.
Old 5th June 2006
Lives for gear

Interesting. That is something to ponder. The job of mastering , aside from creating continuity in an album and (gulp) raising the db bar , is to fix ugly frequencies that rear their heads in inferior mixes, presumably a byproduct of inferior monitors that don't reveal these things to the mixer.

When I choose monitors, I want to hear my favorite mastered albums on them. If they sound perfect to my ears, then those are the monitors for me, because when I mix, I'm going to reference those records for the sounds that I want and try to get in the ballpark.

I was another one at the listening party that had trouble with the 3-5k range on the Barefoots. Yeah, sometimes it was too loud, but I had my time in the sweet spot with control of the volume knob and had the same issue. Am I a puss? Maybe. I find drag races sonically abusive. But, the bottom line is, if I have to be parked in front of these things day and night, they have to sound right to my puss ears. My hearing is my bread and butter and when my ears say "stop, please", I listen.

I'm not bagging on the Barefoots. Just want to make that clear. These monitors sound incredible and I'm pretty sure that my mixes would sound 50-75% better if I bought them right now. But without the "pussman" freq modification, I wouldn't be able to stand them for the long hours that are necessary for me to meet my mortgage.

All of this being said, I'm not even in the market for monitors right now, I just have that disease that most of us have- - Wannasoundbetteritis; that cruel affliction that has me reading gearslutz posts several times a day, when I should be working. Having that curse made me very interested in hearing the BFs. I'll be interested again, when some sort of mod is offered to me and the other sensitivos.
Old 5th June 2006
Lives for gear

Peter/Thomas...

How about a NYC listening session?? I'd bet there would be a very strong interest in hearing both product lines.
Old 5th June 2006
Lives for gear

Nothing in the works as of yet. But we might be able to arrange you to hear a pair there. Keep in touch.

Tetnss
Old 7th June 2006
Lives for gear

Wow. That is dope news, radiant! You will be stoked to have that mod, I think. Can't wait to hear it for mice elfheh
Old 8th June 2006
Lives for gear

Just thought I'd pipe in here to say that I now am the proud owner of The Equinox!!!!
Not much time with it so far, but I knew you guys did not get to hear it so just thought I'd say that it looks and sounds as though it is going to be all it is cracked up to be....I will post a new thread once I have some clips to hear. The monitoring section alone is bad ass!!!

( I also think I am already becoming a vicitm of "watch da purdy green lights dance" syndrome)

Rawk on Peter!
Old 8th June 2006
Here for the gear

Pigpen - it is called The Equinox!! But like I said in the other thread -- I'll likely invent a name for mine when it arrives too!!

Congrat's and enjoy. cannot wait to hear more . . .
Old 8th June 2006
Lives for gear

Ahh...damn me for posting after 12 hours in the studio!!!!!Plus I was too mezmerized by the magic eye tubes to actually look at the name!

Old 8th June 2006
Lives for gear

Barefoot owner here.

I A/Bed the 27s and S3As side by side for a week in my room and found that finshed CDs took my head off on the ADAMs more so than the 27s. The dome tweeter was a lot smoother than the ribbon IMO. And of course the lowend was measurably better on the Barefoots. The real test is working on them side by side. That's the key and where the 27s shined IMO. And they are only a 3-way not a 4-way as some one else stated.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search