The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
SHADOW HILLS and BAREFOOT SOUND DEMO PARTY IN HOLLYWOOD, CA!!!! DON'T MISS IT!!! Studio Monitors
Old 2nd June 2006
Gear Maniac

thomas barefoot loves obey
Old 2nd June 2006
Lives for gear

So the pics look cool...how's it all sound?
Old 2nd June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigpen
So the pics look cool...how's it all sound?
The Barefoots sound great to me. Listening to the Adam's low end crap out in comparision was very telling. They are more full range, but I thought it was most noticable on the low end.

The Shadow Hills stuff was very impressive up close, and I agree that pictures don't really do it justice, but I'd sortah like to get more one on one time with the compressor because it's a pretty deep unit. It's not confusing or anything, just lots of sonic options to work with.

Thanks to all that put it on.
Old 2nd June 2006
UXB
Gear Head

The suspense is killing me. Did anyone hear the Gama Deluxe?
I'm really curious how they demo'd it and how it sounded.

Sure wish I could have been there.

Regards,
H
Old 2nd June 2006
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by UXB
The suspense is killing me. Did anyone hear the Gama Deluxe?
I'm really curious how they demo'd it and how it sounded.

Sure wish I could have been there.

Regards,
H

Sorry to say.. but there were issues with interfacing the unit to PT,,may have been a bad d-sub cable or something..
Old 2nd June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge
The comp is a f*cking monster ..looks way cooler in person ..so many bells and whistles and interactive posibilities .. a cool little learning curve there.heh
Hard to really dig in with all the commotion,but what i heard, i really liked.
I can't wait to get mine and mix through it .thumbsup..
The speakers,i pretty much made my decision six months ago when i first heard the demos stike..

Kudo's to Peter,Thomas, Tet..Andrew and Jeff[VK] ..Jay and the NRG staff for making this happen..
RB,
Super glad I got to meet you last night. Nice hang. It'd be nice to make some racket together sometime.

Everyone else, what a night. What a comp! What 3D monitors! Thanks to Tetness, VK, PR, & TB for making it a giant success. May you take many orders! You deserve them.

That's 5 thumbs up.
Old 2nd June 2006
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkwater
RB,
Super glad I got to meet you last night. Nice hang. It'd be nice to make some racket together sometime.

Everyone else, what a night. What a comp! What 3D monitors! Thanks to VK, PR, &TB for making it a giant success. May you take many orders! You deserve them.

That's 5 thumbs up.

thumbsup
Old 2nd June 2006
Lives for gear

It was nice meeting everyone last night. Here are a few more pics.
Attached Thumbnails
SHADOW HILLS and BAREFOOT SOUND DEMO PARTY IN HOLLYWOOD, CA!!!!  DON'T MISS IT!!!-shadowhills.jpg   SHADOW HILLS and BAREFOOT SOUND DEMO PARTY IN HOLLYWOOD, CA!!!!  DON'T MISS IT!!!-monitors.jpg  
Old 2nd June 2006
Lives for gear

My micromains review

It was a great gathering last night. Both SH and Barefoot products were top notch.

I've been dying to hear the micromains for a while now so I am happy I did. I'm one of the early S3A owners 2001/2002 and I wanted to see how these "adam-killers" performed.

We listened to some Madonna (latest), Muse, Steely Dan and so on...

IMO the Micromains are an awesome monitor (and Thomas is a great cat). There is low end for days and the overall imaging is spectacular. However I may be the first one on GS to say that "adam killers" they are not.

The low end IS better than the S3As. But the comparison is not apples to apples. Its a 4-way design with an in-built sub. A better comparison would be the S3As with a sub10...(which is what I use). Of course I can't deny the beautiful Barefoot integrated design. Well done.

The one thing that bugged me the most with the Micromains is the 4-5K area. With most of the material in loud volumes I found myself wanting to cover my ears. In low volumes they sounded great (and thats why after a lengthy exposure switching back to the S3As sounded like you entered a dark dull place) but cranking them up to feel the bass I found them much more fatiguing compared to the adams (and for most people the Adams are supposed to be on the bright side). I understand the Barefoots have only low end control but maybe Thomas should consider providing one also for the upper midrange.

So...I am not gonna be the one to rush out and sell my S3A for the Barefoots especially since I've just purchased some mains for my new room. However the micromains pack more power than any other monitor I've listened to in that category/size.

Once my room is completed I am sure I'll bother Jeff at vintageking or Tetness for a second chance in my own place. Till then...take care of yourselves...and each other!
Old 2nd June 2006
Thanks for the post syra. I know the event was to showcase the Barefoots but I'm curious as to the general consensus from other people who went.

Is anyone going to sell their current monitors for the MM27s? Also, did anyone bring along the 8000 series Gens for comparison?

Thanks
Old 2nd June 2006
Lives for gear

No one came with 8000 series. Thanks for the insightful post, Syra. Sorry for blasting the speakers for most of the night, not the best way to mix. If you ever want to do a true listening test one-on-one, let me know, I'll bring them by your place.

Tetness
Old 2nd June 2006
Thomas WAS a really cool cat... I'm talking to Vintage King about auditioning them again as well. First off, they had really amazing imaging, wide sweet spot, and clear as a bell low end that appeared to drop at least an octave below the Adams S3As. They sounded extremely fast and detailed, and I could hear what was going on with faster transients very easily with them. But many of us thought that they sounded "toppy" compared to the Adams, and the post above seems to talk about that as well. I'm not sure if it was the presence range or the high stuff (over 10K) that was sounding "intense"... I think I just need to audition them again and see what's up, do some mixing, see how easy it is to place things in the midrange, and see if I can tolerate that much high end. But certainly, almost everybody pointed to the Barefoots as sounding better overall, just kind of opening up when the mix switched over to them. I guess it remains to be seen if it's because they're a bit hyped or if they are really just more accurate. I'm def. considering purchasing a pair. I never liked the Adams b/c of the ribbon tweeter's glassy, hard sound that everyone talks about. All in all Thomas, I was really impressed with the micros, though.
Old 3rd June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by syra
It was a great gathering last night. Both SH and Barefoot products were top notch.

I've been dying to hear the micromains for a while now so I am happy I did. I'm one of the early S3A owners 2001/2002 and I wanted to see how these "adam-killers" performed.

We listened to some Madonna (latest), Muse, Steely Dan and so on...

IMO the Micromains are an awesome monitor (and Thomas is a great cat). There is low end for days and the overall imaging is spectacular. However I may be the first one on GS to say that "adam killers" they are not.

The low end IS better than the S3As. But the comparison is not apples to apples. Its a 4-way design with an in-built sub. A better comparison would be the S3As with a sub10...(which is what I use). Of course I can't deny the beautiful Barefoot integrated design. Well done.

The one thing that bugged me the most with the Micromains is the 4-5K area. With most of the material in loud volumes I found myself wanting to cover my ears. In low volumes they sounded great (and thats why after a lengthy exposure switching back to the S3As sounded like you entered a dark dull place) but cranking them up to feel the bass I found them much more fatiguing compared to the adams (and for most people the Adams are supposed to be on the bright side). I understand the Barefoots have only low end control but maybe Thomas should consider providing one also for the upper midrange.

So...I am not gonna be the one to rush out and sell my S3A for the Barefoots especially since I've just purchased some mains for my new room. However the micromains pack more power than any other monitor I've listened to in that category/size.

Once my room is completed I am sure I'll bother Jeff at vintageking or Tetness for a second chance in my own place. Till then...take care of yourselves...and each other!
I felt the same way. The Barefoots sounded much more 3d, but the top was fatiguing for me, too. I was told, however, that Thomas could adjust that aspect to anyone's preference.
Old 3rd June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by syra
The low end IS better than the S3As. But the comparison is not apples to apples. Its a 4-way design with an in-built sub. A better comparison would be the S3As with a sub10...(which is what I use).

This has been a bit of my dilemma with these speakers. We have heard a couple of comparisons on this board comparing MM's to the S3A's. While there was more discussion on topics other than low end response it seems to be a central focal point for these speakers (MM's). However, there should be very little doubt about whether a speaker system with 4 subs in them should have much better low end representation than a non sub based system....of course it will !!

I would really like to hear some discussion comparing these speakers to systems with a sub in them - s3A's with a sub or BM6A's with a sub. When can we get these to Toronto for a test. I am sure we can get enough GTA slutz together for a shootout!! While we are it, Peter, how about some Shadow Hills gear for us Canucks to A/B in Toronto.

Sounds like everyone had a great time, can't wait to get my hands on the GAMA I just ordered heh
Old 3rd June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkwater
I felt the same way. The Barefoots sounded much more 3d, but the top was fatiguing for me, too. I was told, however, that Thomas could adjust that aspect to anyone's preference.
Yeah, the volume was a little intense last night. Any of you who met my partner Tetness know that he's a great guy and a blast to be around. He also happens to be a guitarist who likes to play things LOUD, and he sometimes gets a little carried away. heh It probably didn't take most of you long to figure out that the MM27s have LOTS of power. And since the tweeter channel has an enormous amount of headroom, it doesn't compress at high volumes like many other speakers. So the full spectrum just keeps going up along with the volume knob. And after 15 minutes or so of 100+ dB my ears were pretty much baked for the rest of the night! heh Anyhow, I hope you all get a chance to hear the MM27s again in a more relaxed environment at normal mixing levels. I think you'll fine them to be extremely neutral at less than jet engine levels.

I really don't like the idea of adding "tone" controls to my speakers. Once you get into all these Do-It-Yourself settings I think you loose a lot of cohesiveness in the speaker's imaging and presentation. However, I can see that some folks might like to have a slightly more laid back voicing. And I think this is something we can readily achieve. Like I said, I don't want to get into a bunch of DIY tone controls. But I can certainly design a slightly softer, yet completely cohesive alternative voicing. You could switch between this and standard voicing. This way I could maintain the integrity of system while giving users some control. I'd feel comfortable with that kind of approach. Does this sound like the sort of thing that might work for you?

Thomas
Old 3rd June 2006
Oh man that would be great. That would probably do it for me...
Old 3rd June 2006
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by barefoot
And after 15 minutes or so of 100+ dB my ears were pretty much baked for the rest of the night! heh

Bunch of pussies! heh
Old 3rd June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge
Bunch of pussies! heh
Hey Beethoven, some of us mere mortals require functioning ears to make music! heh heh heh
Old 3rd June 2006
Lives for gear

Sorry for blasting those speakers, slutz. Hope I didn't damage anyone's ears. However, please PM me if you're interested in your own private one-on-one listening test. I live near Guitar Center Hollywood. You're more than welcome to come by my house and spend time with them -- playing your own mixes and CDs. I think that will help you get more of a clear understanding of what Thomas has created.

Tetness
Old 3rd June 2006
P.S. I'm also a super happy GAMA 8 owner... can't say enough good things about how it sounds. It's also available for hire if anybody wants to give it a full spin in the LA area... I'm not tracking right now (shameless but appropriate plug).
Old 3rd June 2006
Lives for gear

Anybody had a chance to compare the MM27's with the K&H O300s. I would be interested in thoughts here. I tried the 300's and loved them, they had stunning imaging and superlative transparency. Im still deciding between these or the S3a's / Sub10. I would love to hear a pair of MM27's though.

And i also agree with with Syra here, that a more fair test would have been to couple the S3a's with its Sub10. I know Thomas did mention that the MM27's are in a similar ballpark in price as the Adams, but it wouldnt have hurt to atleast match both of these beauties in a like for like kind of way, regardless of price.

On another note, i kind of like the idea of the MM27's high headroom, i much prefer speakers like that. I like to give up before they do.
Old 3rd June 2006
Lives for gear

The dearth of reviews for the SH compressor is... disappointing I know how it is when you're in a room full of geeks though... yap yap yap shaaddaaaap!!

It's interesting to compare the first released pics of the SH compressor with the ones in this thread. The refocusing of the controls could be telling perhaps? The discrete compressor must be the best part... it's got the biggest knob, right? At least they added knobs and didn't take any away.

Poll: which label is cooler? "Threshold" or "Reduction"?

Still worried about all those knobs and how the plugin version will properly map out to, say, a Control8.
Attached Thumbnails
SHADOW HILLS and BAREFOOT SOUND DEMO PARTY IN HOLLYWOOD, CA!!!!  DON'T MISS IT!!!-sh1.jpg   SHADOW HILLS and BAREFOOT SOUND DEMO PARTY IN HOLLYWOOD, CA!!!!  DON'T MISS IT!!!-sh2.jpg  
Old 3rd June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeloocproducer
P.S. I'm also a super happy GAMA 8 owner... can't say enough good things about how it sounds. It's also available for hire if anybody wants to give it a full spin in the LA area... I'm not tracking right now (shameless but appropriate plug).
How much are you renting it for?
Old 3rd June 2006
Gear Maniac

Cool event, and what amazing gear! RoundBadge, we need to bring drums to the next one. And more beer. Good to meet everyone!

Where were all the female gearslutz???
Old 3rd June 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallace
How much are you renting it for?
PM me...
Old 3rd June 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mejon
AMEN ..

One thing that's extremely clear when looking at all those mugs is how very much this business needs some estrogen... and not just groupies. I'm telling you, we're headed for a prison-like environment, and some of you are gonna have to become "beehatches".

More women! Before someone gets traded for a carton of cigarrettes!

-dave
Old 3rd June 2006
Lives for gear

Who's the nerd in the glasses. Looks like a young Bill Gates.
Old 3rd June 2006
500 series nutjob

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave-G
AMEN ..

One thing that's extremely clear when looking at all those mugs is how very much this business needs some estrogen... and not just groupies. I'm telling you, we're headed for a prison-like environment, and some of you are gonna have to become "beehatches".

More women! Before someone gets traded for a carton of cigarrettes!

-dave
lol
heh
Old 3rd June 2006
Lives for gear

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by mejon
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave-G
AMEN ..

One thing that's extremely clear when looking at all those mugs is how very much this business needs some estrogen...
I'm with you guys 100% on this. Besides teaching my daughter everything I know, I'm taking proactive steps to bring more women into the field. When I started looking for an employee one of the first people I contacted was Terri Winston of the Women's Audio Mission. She sent me some resumes of excellent candidates and now my first employee is a woman.

Thomas
Old 4th June 2006
Here for the gear

Backorder Time on Equinox?

Anyone know how long one can expect to wait on an Equinox at this point? Have any been delivered? Looks amazing even for new price of $3995.00 . . . though I bet early adopters are DROOLING!!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search