The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Chris Lord- Alge Waves SSL Presets Dynamics Plugins
Old 13th July 2007
  #181
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboy2854 View Post
Then you're obviously not aware that there are certain "key" frequencies that (in general) tend to be the go to frequencies for various instruments. For instance, if I want to give a snare drum more body or oomph, I'm probably going to start by trying a bell boost around 200Hz with a fairly narrow Q and tweak from there.

Sure, no preset is going to necessarily be perfect for the specific track you may happen to be working on at the time, but more often than not it may give you a good starting point from which to tweak, or in some cases, change the sound completely into something else that may be cool.

That you think the CLA presets are a joke tells me you didn't actually try them.
Mate...tutt
A good starting point for your eq is flat.

Not a fancy preset.
By the way, you'd probably love a hardware eq with presets too....hehhehe.
Old 13th July 2007
  #182
Lives for gear
 

Drum replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukon View Post
Well, he mixed 9 songs for us and it only took him around 2-3 hours per song. Each song had an average of 60 tracks, so if he doesn't the same way everytime how does he keep cranking them out? And how does the drums that I recorded sound identically the same as Green Days drums? I'm not knocking him but the guy has a formula that's cookie cutter and he uses it, and that's why the labels hire him (quality control).
Old 13th July 2007
  #183
Deleted bd1be4f
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by beyond View Post
Mate...tutt
A good starting point for your eq is flat.
Says who? I wasn't aware that there were immutable "rules" that must be adhered to with mixing. tutt

Quote:
Not a fancy preset.
By the way, you'd probably love a hardware eq with presets too....hehhehe.
If you say so.

The fact is, this is no different than the fact that CLA keeps most of his outboard compressors set to the same settings, and simply chooses which ones to patch in depending on the source material. In fact, one could say many of his outboard comps are presets in and of themselves, the only difference between that and a plugin preset being one is hardware and one is software.

I'll spell it out for you one more time. There ARE no rules when it comes to mixing. If it sounds good, it IS good. Period. And if starting from a preset, whether it's preset hardware, software, compressor, EQ, or whatever gets you where you need to go, who cares?
Old 13th July 2007
  #184
Lives for gear
 

Yet that is what a large part of this board is, buying sounds. Flavor this, color that.... those intangables are what the dealers here are selling and it's becuase the poster is looking to purchase a solution. Walt, I agree with you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwittman View Post
if you REALLY think you can buy expertise in a box, you deserve what you get.
Old 14th July 2007
  #185
Lives for gear
 
robmix's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by muddy View Post
i've known (we're good friends) & worked with chris since '85-'86, when we both worked for bobby nathan at unique recording on 47th st & 7th ave. i've done entire albums, as well as individual sessions with him, and he does in fact use the ssl's quad comp, & pretty much all the time. it's a BIG part of his sound, believe me. now that might not be the case as of the last 6-7 years (i don't know), but i doubt it. btw, he's quite capable of getting his "sound" anywhere on the planet. i tracked (& partially mixed) an entire cd with him at compass point, in the bahamas (his 1st time there), and it was a piece of cake for him.


ml
The Quad comp had disappeared from the stereo bus by the late 90's when I worked with him. It was always the Red 3.
Old 17th July 2007
  #186
outofphase
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by robmix View Post
The Quad comp had disappeared from the stereo bus by the late 90's when I worked with him. It was always the Red 3.
Focusrite red??
Old 17th July 2007
  #187
outofphase
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by zboy2854 View Post
The fact is, this is no different than the fact that CLA keeps most of his outboard compressors set to the same settings, and simply chooses which ones to patch in depending on the source material. In fact, one could say many of his outboard comps are presets in and of themselves,
Do you know CLA personally? how do you know everything about him?
Old 17th July 2007
  #188
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by outofphase View Post
Do you know CLA personally? how do you know everything about him?
He's explained his way of working in several interviews. The links to those articles are in various posts in this thread.
Old 17th July 2007
  #189
Deleted bd1be4f
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by siddhu View Post
He's explained his way of working in several interviews. The links to those articles are in various posts in this thread.
Exactly. It's amazing what a little reading will do...
Old 18th July 2007
  #190
outofphase
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by zboy2854 View Post
Exactly. It's amazing what a little reading will do...
Yes, but you speak as if CLA were you cousin or your best friend, It's amazing what you believe after reading his "interviews" or his "revealed secrets", don't trust what you read in interviews, I'm sure 90% is not what he use or do, Honestly do you really believe that he use just a 1176 blue stripe on his vocals?
Try it and tell me if you can get his sound.
Old 18th July 2007
  #191
Lives for gear
 
Empire Prod's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by outofphase View Post
Yes, but you speak as if CLA were you cousin or your best friend, It's amazing what you believe after reading his "interviews" or his "revealed secrets", don't trust what you read in interviews, I'm sure 90% is not what he use or do, Honestly do you really believe that he use just a 1176 blue stripe on his vocals?
Try it and tell me if you can get his sound.
I beleive he does use highly modified Blue Stripes.
Old 18th July 2007
  #192
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by outofphase View Post
Yes, but you speak as if CLA were you cousin or your best friend, It's amazing what you believe after reading his "interviews" or his "revealed secrets", don't trust what you read in interviews, I'm sure 90% is not what he use or do, Honestly do you really believe that he use just a 1176 blue stripe on his vocals?
Try it and tell me if you can get his sound.
wow for only 20 some posts you sure are an outspoken little guy there.

I believe there are atleast 2 guys in this thread that used to work with him.

Robmix gave his insight into the quadcomp not being there since he used to work with him and if it wasn't rob someone else mentioned finding one of the blue stripes for him.
Old 18th July 2007
  #193
Deleted bd1be4f
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by outofphase View Post
Yes, but you speak as if CLA were you cousin or your best friend, It's amazing what you believe after reading his "interviews" or his "revealed secrets", don't trust what you read in interviews, I'm sure 90% is not what he use or do, Honestly do you really believe that he use just a 1176 blue stripe on his vocals?
Try it and tell me if you can get his sound.
Holy wild assed assumptions, Batman! If you think I spoke like CLA is my cousin, that's on you, not me pal.

And I never stated I believed only what I read, I also believe what I've been told by those who've worked with him. But if you want to believe that he's lying and giving out misinformation in his interviews, good for you.

Personally, I don't consider the fact that he keeps many of his compressors set the same a particularly shocking revelation or "secret". The fact is many mix engineers who do tons of mixing have preset gear they go to as starting points, it's not really a big secret, sorry.
Old 18th July 2007
  #194
I love CLA mixes!!

But I hate Plug ins!!
Old 18th July 2007
  #195
outofphase
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by zboy2854 View Post
Holy wild assed assumptions, Batman! If you think I spoke like CLA is my cousin, that's on you, not me pal.

And I never stated I believed only what I read, I also believe what I've been told by those who've worked with him. But if you want to believe that he's lying and giving out misinformation in his interviews, good for you.

Personally, I don't consider the fact that he keeps many of his compressors set the same a particularly shocking revelation or "secret". The fact is many mix engineers who do tons of mixing have preset gear they go to as starting points, it's not really a big secret, sorry.
Old 16th December 2007
  #196
Here for the gear
 

hey i dled the presets and they are in .xps file form how do i use in pro tools since they are asking for .tfx format

thanks
Old 17th December 2007
  #197
Lives for gear
 
T_R_S's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by zboy2854 View Post

Personally, I don't consider the fact that he keeps many of his compressors set the same a particularly shocking revelation or "secret". The fact is many mix engineers who do tons of mixing have preset gear they go to as starting points, it's not really a big secret, sorry.
Stacks of outboard each with settings that never get changed.
Rich man's "Hardware Plug-In Recall"
Old 17th December 2007
  #198
Deleted bd1be4f
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by T_R_S View Post
Stacks of outboard each with settings that never get changed.
Rich man's "Hardware Plug-In Recall"
If you like, yes.
Old 30th May 2008
  #199
Lives for gear
 
Jamzone's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thethrillfactor View Post
No dude.


The reason he is able to mix as fast is because he's mixed thousand of songs in his life and he knows to his ear what he wants to hear right away.


The gear or not withstanding you have to have the ear to make the right choices.

If you really believe its all about the gear and the chains than dude you will be stuck in the same place all your life.





I've known Tom since his days at Unique in the 80's and from the time i did sessions at South Beach Studios in the late 90's.

He and Chris have a distinct sound because of who they are.

Take all the gear away and their mixes will still sound like them.

It did in the 80's where Tom was basically doing everything off the SSL.

This whole preset concept has been developed by you guys.

Everyone who has engineered for years has a sonic memory of sounds and chains they like.

The concept of the preset is only known to the guy who doesn't know it because in his mind it justifies the fact that he has the ability to be just as good as "X" super mixing engineer.


Well i'll let you into a little secret...back in the 80's when here in town you had all working at the same time Chris and Tom, Andy Wallace, Bob Clearmountain, Jason Corsaro, Michael Brauer and every other hot engineer known to man, no one was sitting around jerking off wondering "i wonder what compressor this guy he is using for his sound" or "what reverb?".

They were all thinking how i can steal this guys client. What can i do to seperate myself and still get the top clients. "How can i stand out".

It was a competition of engineers and studios.

And that made you better and want to develop your own sound/mixing skills.


Nowadays its this namby pamby style of engineering where i drop a plug or gear chain i think i can sound instantly like my favorite engineer.

If i want my mixes to sound like an Andy Wallace mix...i'll hire Andy Wallace to mix it.

Same goes for the Alge Bros and whoever else is out there.

Because i've been engineering long enough to know that there are so many variables involved into some one's sound that there is no way i will sound exactly like that person.

I rather develop my own sound and let people hire me for that.

And if i am considered as good as those guys than so be it.
......

THE SONG!!

Presets or not they have ability to make the songs 'speak' to you. Study their work and learn!

///Jamzone
Old 30th May 2008
  #200
Lives for gear
 
Jamzone's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11413 View Post
i filter before i compress but i almost NEVER eq first, unless there's a serious problem...

compression after EQ defeats the purpose, at least if you boost... you'll just make the compressor react more to whatever you boosted and cancel it out, sort of...

hp/lp filter> comp> EQ - 90% of the time
Interesting...

Eq after compression. Doesn't that defeat the purpose of compression?

//Jamzone
Old 30th May 2008
  #201
Deleted bd1be4f
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamzone View Post
Interesting...

Eq after compression. Doesn't that defeat the purpose of compression?

//Jamzone
No, it just changes the sound. EQ after compression yields a whole different sonic result than EQ before compression. Neither one is right or wrong, it just depends on what results you're going for.
Old 30th May 2008
  #202
Lives for gear
 
Jamzone's Avatar
 

You clearly did'nt get the irony in that one...

//Jamzone
Old 30th May 2008
  #203
Deleted bd1be4f
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamzone View Post
You clearly did'nt get the irony in that one...

//Jamzone
oops, guess not...
Old 30th May 2008
  #204
Lives for gear
 
Jamzone's Avatar
 



It's no well kept secret that to get 'that ssl sound' you feed the eq to the comp. Period.

Live well,


///Jamzone
Old 31st May 2008
  #205
Lives for gear
 
Kadden Heart's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamzone View Post


It's no well kept secret that to get 'that ssl sound' you feed the eq to the comp. Period.

Live well,


///Jamzone
good lord the dead walk eh?
the last post was in like,..early 2007 now today.
loll

at any rate, are you serious about the "eq>comp" thing?
i've not heard that before,..hm,...
Old 31st May 2008
  #206
Lives for gear
 
rectifried's Avatar
I thought Id be using his presets as a jump off point, but havent really found a place for them...so its back to flat..
some of the waves ones have worked a little bit though...I like just the eq with a ren comp more than the strip just now, but over time that will change .
Old 31st May 2008
  #207
Lives for gear
 
Sirocco's Avatar
 

I enjoy using them - I load them up and tame them down a bit and save modified versions - but for pop rock - they are great!
Old 20th July 2008
  #208
Gear Maniac
 

Hey guys, I really enjoyed this thread.
I looked at the presets from CLA and there are like 4 presets that are called MONO ROOM, or ROOM 1,2, and 3. On what instruments do I use them?? How do I use them??

Any help would be appreciated, I'm more or less new in mixing.
Thanks
Old 20th July 2008
  #209
Gear Maniac
 
djrustycans's Avatar
 

I looked at the presets from CLA and there are like 4 presets that are called MONO ROOM, or ROOM 1,2, and 3. On what instruments do I use them?? How do I use them??


Those presets are mainly intended for processing 'drum room' ambient mics - IOW, microphones set back in the room away from the instrument to capture the room ambience. Obviously, they don't have to be used just on drum ambience. Hope that helps...
Old 21st July 2008
  #210
Gear Maniac
 

Yes, it does help JACK.

Thanks very much.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
Analog / So much gear, so little time
88
PT User / Music Computers
69
Dirty Halo / Music Computers
14
The Press Desk / Product Alerts older than 2 months
25
chymer / Work In Progress / Advice Requested / Show and Tell / Artist Showcase / Mix-Offs
36

Forum Jump
Forum Jump