The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Chris Lord- Alge Waves SSL Presets Dynamics Plugins
Old 27th September 2006
Lives for gear

I just copied a bunch of these settings and wrote them into my URS S-series eq
and 1980 compressor to see what would happen. I'm not sure yet, but I think they actually sound really good. Such extreme boosts. I'm always so conservative with things, maybe it's time to forget everything I thought I had figured out.
Old 27th September 2006
Deleted bd1be4f
Quote:
Originally Posted by marchhare View Post
and 1980 compressor to see what would happen. I'm not sure yet, but I think they actually sound really good. Such extreme boosts. I'm always so conservative with things, maybe it's time to forget everything I thought I had figured out.
Don't necessarily discard everything you thought, it's just one more "sound" you can go for if you want it. Basically the Lord-Alge thing IS alot about extreme compression and EQ, which is what gives their mixes a hyper-real sound. However, if you were going for a more natural, realistic soundscape, you'd probably want to stick with your more conservative settings. Consider this just one more tool in your arsenal of choices.
Old 27th September 2006
Lives for gear

very true. But it seems from those settings the eq BEFORE compression has a big part of his sound.
Can anybody say he eqs before comps on pretty much everything or was it just bass guitar i think he compresses first?
Old 27th September 2006
Deleted bd1be4f
If we assume that all the CLA settings are in fact from CLA himself, then yes, on pretty much all of them he puts the compressor after the EQ, which is also what helps allow him to make such heavy boosts, since it causes the compressor to react and shape the sound.
Old 27th September 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Basically the Lord-Alge thing IS alot about extreme compression and EQ, which is what gives their mixes a hyper-real sound.
That's what I've been looking for. I love that stuff, especially Tom Lord-Alge's
mixes. I can always tell when it's him, it's almost like he's adding hooks.
He can take an average song and make it sound like a hit. By the time I left
my studio last night, I was still impressed with the settings. Usually the thrill
of something new wears off after eight hours, but It still sounded really good
at the end. I just got the URS S series a couple of days ago. I don't think
I'd get the same results boosting that much in Filterbank. Also, on a few tracks,
I didn't even compress afterwards; just the eq settings. Still worked well.
The more I do stuff inside the box, the more I realize that the rules that
applied to analog don't necessarily apply to digital. And that URS makes
really good eq's.
Old 27th September 2006
Gear Head

I've had the chance to sit in on a CLA mix of a track I produced and recorded. What everyone needs to keep in mind is these settings are maybe 40% of the final sound he gets....He has a wall of great outboard he runs pre or post the SSL that ultimately is the final sound. I find the presets IMHO unusable on there own but ok 20% of the time as a starting point.
Old 28th September 2006
Lives for gear

I forget which magazine had a good 5 page or so article interview with CLA in it a month or 2 ago. eq or mix perhaps? He explained a lot of his favorite gear like the special 1176s that each have their own sound.

I'm suprised he even has settings for the waves SSL bus compressor when he doesn't even use it and uses the focusrite red I believe it is.

Then again I've worked on a session with another great engineer named Chris in Hollywood and he used an outboard SSL buss comp and the manley pultecs to do some great stuff to a mix that was done on a Neve VR series.
Old 28th September 2006
Lives for gear

Interesting stuff those presets Thanks for posting !

Studying the setting I realized that he seems to center his EQ boosts around 5-8 k mostly and compensates the high mid harshness with huge compression amounts - dynamic frequency carving...interesting.

I´m missing the high end boosts at 10k/ 12 k ?

Of course it´s crazy to think you get an CLA mix by using the presets.
However most of us being STUDENTS OF SOUND it´s nice to watch some different approaches than the ones we regularily use
Old 28th September 2006
Gear Maniac

Hi, i'm Chris Lord Alge

I just wanted to tell you guys that Waves paid me a 'bundle' (no pun intended..ok, it's intended) to make some presets to make their plugs, or the users of their plugs feel cool.

Best wishes,

CLA

...ok, i'm not CLA, but it would be funny if that was something he said
Old 4th October 2006
most interesting thing i noticed was the ultra low threshold/2:1-3:1 ratio stuff on close miked drums... kick/snr/etc...

bob olhsson is right, presets are fun for spinning the big wheel/throwing darts/monkey wrenching/eno's oblique strategies... other than that the whole idea of using someone else's presets is.... BIZARRE.

who needs to listen when we can just stare at the screen, eh?
Old 2nd January 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigpen View Post
Haven't tried them yet, but could be pretty cool!

http://www.waves.com/content.asp?id=2055
CLA have used the plugs Waves, for the OK GO edit ??? heh

OT I don't understand IMHO because his edit, it's so ugly? /OT
Old 15th May 2007
Gear Nut

Just an update as to how CLA uses the plugins, read the following article at sound on sound... You have to be a subscriber but I thought the post would be interesting to those who are wondering what his workflow really is.

Article Preview - Secrets Of The Mix Engineers: Chris Lord-Alge

mp54u
Old 15th May 2007
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAU View Post
rock on man.....

Rock on man.thumbsup

Rock on man..thumbsup heh heh heh
Old 15th May 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Just an update as to how CLA uses the plugins, read the following article at sound on sound... You have to be a subscriber but I thought the post would be interesting to those who are wondering what his workflow really is.

Article Preview - Secrets Of The Mix Engineers: Chris Lord-Alge
hmm toobad I don't have a subscription.... They had a pretty good article in EQ with him going through a lot of "his" styles of mixing.

I love his and his brother's style of mixing and wish I could learn more about eqing almost everything before compressing. I can never get mine to work out right doing it that way.
Old 15th May 2007
Lives for gear

Skimmed this thread, was wondering if anyone, for fun, posted up a mix using just the Lord Alge presets (as they actually are, not as starting points of course).

Would be fun, too, if 2 different people did it on 2 completely different songs, just to see how much they morph into the same fantastic Lord Alge sound.

Anyone?
Old 15th May 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrykeBack View Post
I love his and his brother's style of mixing and wish I could learn more about eqing almost everything before compressing. I can never get mine to work out right doing it that way.
It's interesting to read this, I thought most people EQ'ed before they compressed (that's what I have always done).
Old 16th May 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboy2854 View Post
Here's a screen shot of the deep snare preset at least...

Aaaaah, your going to hell for that one. Wait 'til Waves finds out. They'll charge a royalty WUP on the graphic post!

I think it should be pointed out that CLA uses hardware almost exclusively.
Old 16th May 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestral View Post
It's interesting to read this, I thought most people EQ'ed before they compressed (that's what I have always done).
i filter before i compress but i almost NEVER eq first, unless there's a serious problem...

compression after EQ defeats the purpose, at least if you boost... you'll just make the compressor react more to whatever you boosted and cancel it out, sort of...

hp/lp filter> comp> EQ - 90% of the time
Old 16th May 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11413 View Post
compression after EQ defeats the purpose, at least if you boost... you'll just make the compressor react more to whatever you boosted and cancel it out, sort of...
i know what you mean, but there are many situations where eq before compression makes sense.

if you add, say, a +3db shelf @ 10K to a vocal and then put a compressor on it with a high threshold and fast attack, you can brighten the vocal and also gently de-ess it.

two birds, one stone.

- c
Old 16th May 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Sonya View Post
iif you add, say, a +3db shelf @ 10K to a vocal and then put a compressor on it with a high threshold and fast attack, you can brighten the vocal and also gently de-ess it. ... two birds, one stone.
OK.. this one gets written down in my "stuff to try in the studio" notebook
Old 16th May 2007
Deleted bd1be4f
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwarren View Post

I think it should be pointed out that CLA uses hardware almost exclusively.
Not according to the SOS article. Apparently he'll use some plugins when doing submixes from PT to the 3348 From the article:

Quote:
"There are some songs in which I'll be a bit more heavy-handed with plug-ins. If I need 15db high end on some track and it still sounds dark, why not EQ it on the way in [to the 3348]? Plug-ins that I often use are the Waves SSL plug-in, the one that I endorse, and Waves L1 and L2 compression plug-ins, Bomb Factory's 1176 for help with compression, and the Massenburg EQ plug-in, which is really good.
Old 17th May 2007
Lives for gear

I did say almost exclusively.
Old 19th May 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Sonya View Post
i know what you mean, but there are many situations where eq before compression makes sense.

if you add, say, a +3db shelf @ 10K to a vocal and then put a compressor on it with a high threshold and fast attack, you can brighten the vocal and also gently de-ess it.

two birds, one stone.

- c
cool, I'm trying this one. Wouldn't you want to do a bump at like 6-8k? I find thats where more of the ugly essss stuff is.
Junk
Old 22nd May 2007
Lives for gear

was not aware that the SOS article u were referring to was in this months issue as i stumbled on it in a bookstore today. Read it. He seems to really stress that constant automation moves are what gives his mixes a sound. Hitting the lead vocal before dumping to tape with a waves L1 seems a bit sketchy to me but when its 16 bit digital tape i guess u want it hot and controlled to avoid noise.

The EQ interview from almost a year ago was far more informitive to his actual setup and workflow and techniques. I wonder if its on their website archive. I could never subscrive to SOS because it always comes across in its reviews and in its tips and hints sections and reader questions as only catering to the 14 year old student bedroom studio hobbyists.
Old 23rd May 2007
Lives for gear

OK - late to the game, waiting for all the dust to settle on all the SSL options - Waves, Duendo, URS - just got the SSL bundle from Waves. Holy Crap - that is great! Just wanted to say the CLA presets are very informative starting points. Super Interesting.
Old 3rd June 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by marchhare View Post
Heh...I just did this, too, on a tune I mixed a few months ago, for which the client actually provided an Ashely Simpson (I think?) tune mixed by CLA as a reference. It's kinda scary how good the settings sound. The original mix I did took hours, and with JUST the S-Series and CLA's presets, I got to a really (albeit different) good place in like a half hour.

It's so cool to see how he radically boosts frequencies I'd typically cut (or ignore altogether) on a given source and how it all comes together in the mix as a whole.

Yikes! I gotta lot to learn!!

Now I'm off to play with some compression!!
Old 13th July 2007
Gear Addict

i've known (we're good friends) & worked with chris since '85-'86, when we both worked for bobby nathan at unique recording on 47th st & 7th ave. i've done entire albums, as well as individual sessions with him, and he does in fact use the ssl's quad comp, & pretty much all the time. it's a BIG part of his sound, believe me. now that might not be the case as of the last 6-7 years (i don't know), but i doubt it. btw, he's quite capable of getting his "sound" anywhere on the planet. i tracked (& partially mixed) an entire cd with him at compass point, in the bahamas (his 1st time there), and it was a piece of cake for him.

ml

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrykeBack View Post
I'm suprised he even has settings for the waves SSL bus compressor when he doesn't even use it and uses the focusrite red I believe it is.
Old 13th July 2007
Gear Maniac

Here's my view on the CLA presets. They're just a joke. Presets on an eq? Come on people. It's like my dog having presets.
Old 13th July 2007
Deleted bd1be4f
Quote:
Originally Posted by beyond View Post
Here's my view on the CLA presets. They're just a joke. Presets on an eq? Come on people. It's like my dog having presets.
Then you're obviously not aware that there are certain "key" frequencies that (in general) tend to be the go to frequencies for various instruments. For instance, if I want to give a snare drum more body or oomph, I'm probably going to start by trying a bell boost around 200Hz with a fairly narrow Q and tweak from there.

Sure, no preset is going to necessarily be perfect for the specific track you may happen to be working on at the time, but more often than not it may give you a good starting point from which to tweak, or in some cases, change the sound completely into something else that may be cool.

That you think the CLA presets are a joke tells me you didn't actually try them.
Old 13th July 2007
Lives for gear

Interesting. Did he actualy USE his SSL Bundle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtrumfio View Post
I've had the chance to sit in on a CLA mix of a track I produced and recorded. What everyone needs to keep in mind is these settings are maybe 40% of the final sound he gets....He has a wall of great outboard he runs pre or post the SSL that ultimately is the final sound. I find the presets IMHO unusable on there own but ok 20% of the time as a starting point.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search