The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Chris Lord- Alge Waves SSL Presets Dynamics Plugins
Old 26th July 2006
Deleted bd1be4f
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plec
BTW.. Where are all those grammys coming from? All I see is grammy nominee this, grammy winner that.. on all kinds of "gearsites" recommending all pieces of junk under the sun. I've never heard about 90% of these guys! I WANT A GRAMMY TOO!!
Eh, truth be told, they don't really mean much. Though I am proud of the work I did on the album that did win, but I'm just as proud of a lot of stuff that went tragically unnoticed. One thing we agree on, do the best work you can on everything you do, and the rest takes care of itself.
Old 26th July 2006
Lives for gear

Plec

please give up
Old 26th July 2006
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by thethrillfactor
I rather develop my own sound and let people hire me for that.

And if i am considered as good as those guys than so be it.

YESSIR!!!!!
Old 24th August 2006
Lives for gear

Chris Lord-Alge do use "presets"

I agree with zboy2854 all the way...

Here's an interview with Chris I've read at:

http://mixonline.com/mag/audio_chris...lge/index.html

What's this rumor that you don't like to change settings on your outboard gear?

It's true. On the limiters, that is. Rather than change a setting, I'll just buy another one and set it differently.

You're putting me on.

No, that's what I do. That's why I have so many. I have that one set for a certain sound, this one set for a different sound. I just power them up, plug them in and they're on the best setting. I change the EQs, but that's it. The limiters stay set to the optimum setting for that limiter. It's part of the gig; it helps the repeatability.

Okay, what's that 1176 set for?

It's a gain structure thing, really. Each 1176 that I have here has a different sound. This is fatty, this is skinny, and that one is for vocals that are too boomy. I can listen to the vocal for three words and say, “Okay, put number three on him.” Or number one, usually number one, my old blue, magical-sounding 1176 — the first ones they made. Basically, I could put covers on my gear for weeks, and not have to worry about it. I'd just say, “That one's not right, plug in the next one. Okay, that's better.”

There are certain limiters that just stay patched into certain spots of the console — been there for a long time. And they work great because I always put my tracks in the same place.

One of the most important things about mixing is having a routine. That may sound boring, but it works. I don't want to think about where the kick drum is on the console, or where the vocal is. They're always going to be in the same place, and I can worry about the song instead. Because it ain't about the gear; it's about the song. If you don't do the song justice, you shouldn't be mixing.

=================================

On my side, I do use presets as a starting point and then tweak it so I can get the sound I'm looking for. If I can't get that sound, I'll use another compressor/EQ/etc and start from the presets I've saved for that plugins. I just noticed that after using hundred of times "this" particular plugins sounded good from this starting point (preset) on that particular type of source sound. So instead of remembering all the settings at the top of my head and set them again each time, I simply reload my presets. Let's say I have a source sound, a snare for example, that lacks of attack, I have a preset for that kind of source sound and I'll play with it. Some people might start from scratch each time, but I prefer to start from my presets. If at the end I got the sound I was looking for, will the person that listen to the CD I have mixed will care about the fact I used a preset or not? No, the person will don't even know...
Old 26th August 2006
Gear Head

please post more presets!

Last edited by sweet_vendetta; 26th August 2006 at 01:51 PM.. Reason: stupid question
Old 28th August 2006
Lives for gear

I just got them, tried them out on a old mix I did.....and I must say, that I got close to where I ended up, with a few presets....Still some tweaking invloved, but a good starting point is always welcome.
Old 2nd September 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by luctellier View Post
One of the most important things about mixing is having a routine.
Said the man who's mixes all sounded the same...
Old 2nd September 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by thethrillfactor View Post
No dude.

The reason he is able to mix as fast is because he's mixed thousand of songs in his life and he knows to his ear what he wants to hear right away.

The gear or not withstanding you have to have the ear to make the right choices.

If you really believe its all about the gear and the chains than dude you will be stuck in the same place all your life.

I rather develop my own sound and let people hire me for that.

And if i am considered as good as those guys than so be it.
AMEN! You nailed that one!!
Old 2nd September 2006
Lives for gear
if you REALLY think you can buy expertise in a box, you deserve what you get.
Old 2nd September 2006
Deleted bd1be4f
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwittman View Post
if you REALLY think you can buy expertise in a box, you deserve what you get.
I don't recall anyone ever suggesting that to be the case.

Further, I don't see how studying someone's presets as ONE method of learning certain techniques is ANY different than, say, assisting for an engineer, and after the session is over studying his settings on the board or outboard gear to see how he got the sounds he did.

As someone who worked his way up back in the day as an assistant under many different engineers, I can testify to the fact that being able to look at and study those guys' settings after a session helped immensely with my development process as an engineer.

These days, those kinds of real world opportunities to assist are much fewer and further between. So for those who don't have access to that kind of opportunity, and are working in isolation, why SHOULDN'T they look at and study someone's plugin presets, if there is even a little bit of knowledge or insight they can glean from it, or inspire a way of working or processing that they otherwise wouldn't have thought of?

Of COURSE nothing can substitute for having well trained ears. Of COURSE nothing can substitute for experience. But if studying someone else's settings or presets can help one gain a little insight, especially in the absence of a real mentorship or assisting gig, what's the problem?
Old 2nd September 2006
Gear Addict

how 'bout more pictures?

-d. gauss
Old 2nd September 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by d. gauss View Post
how 'bout more pictures?

-d. gauss
Why not just demo the bundle?

The demo comes with the presets.

Old 2nd September 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by demel View Post
Why not just demo the bundle?
The demo comes with the presets.

'cause i'm just curious to see the settings, not use the plugins.
if possible, i prefer to not install anything on my computer that i have little intention of buying/using. perhaps i'm just paranoid.

-d. gauss

edit: plus i looked at the site, and you have to have an ilock to try it? no thanks.
Old 4th September 2006
Gear Maniac

What the hell is wrong with a good engineer showing you some of his settings? Who cares? Tweek them from '0' or tweek them from the presets. Why not try them for interests sake. I don't understand what all the fuss is about.
Old 4th September 2006
Lives for gear

the fuss is about how yet another piece of the recording chain is 'reduced' to painting by numbers.

People dont like to learn for themselves anymore its easier to grab a sample CD or rip a hook from a record or use a preset than it is to actually sit and make the effort required to learn from scratch for oneself.

Heaven forbid anyone should be ORIGINAL anymore.

Hundreds of thousands of years ago we got given ears.

Much later we gained the ability to learn and practice free thought.

Today no one bothers. We look at what things sound like and we preach what were told by others is cool.

Tis a mad mad mad world!

</rant>

*feints*

GFX
Old 4th September 2006
Deleted bd1be4f
Quote:
Originally Posted by gfx View Post
the fuss is about how yet another piece of the recording chain is 'reduced' to painting by numbers.

People dont like to learn for themselves anymore its easier to grab a sample CD or rip a hook from a record or use a preset than it is to actually sit and make the effort required to learn from scratch for oneself.

Heaven forbid anyone should be ORIGINAL anymore.

Hundreds of thousands of years ago we got given ears.

Much later we gained the ability to learn and practice free thought.

Today no one bothers. We look at what things sound like and we preach what were told by others is cool.

Tis a mad mad mad world!

</rant>

*feints*

GFX

Well let's be clear here about the distinction. It's one thing to use presets as a method of study to learn about key frequencies for instruments, compression techiniques, etc. It's entirely another to use presets as a crutch without taking the time to study what makes those presets sound the way they sound. The difference being, in example A an engineer who has used presets as a way to learn can go into any other studio where there are no presets and still be functional. In example B, put the person into another studio without his presets and he's lost. Big difference.

Which is why I don't see what the big deal is. A guy who uses presets without knowing why they work the way they do isn't going to be as successful in the long run as a guy who uses presets, but does so with the knowledge that he doesn't NEED them and could get to the same result from scratch, they just make the workflow easier and more efficient.
Old 8th September 2006
Gear Nut

I would really appreciate it if someone could post more pictures of the presets. I did download the demo, but waves won't let me get the presets until I pay for the plugins.

I would like to mention that I would find these settings to be a great learning tool for me. I am never going to be able to intern at a big studio, so there are very limited opportunities for me to learn how accomplished engineers do their thing. I learned a lot from the Charles Dye video, and getting a look at these presets would be another way for me to understand how an engineer can get that sound that we all hear on commercial releases.
Old 8th September 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by markblasco View Post
I would really appreciate it if someone could post more pictures of the presets.
here we go... 1st page of 3....
Attached Thumbnails
Chris Lord- Alge Waves SSL Presets-picture-1.jpg   Chris Lord- Alge Waves SSL Presets-picture-2.jpg   Chris Lord- Alge Waves SSL Presets-picture-3.jpg   Chris Lord- Alge Waves SSL Presets-picture-4.jpg   Chris Lord- Alge Waves SSL Presets-picture-5.jpg  

Old 8th September 2006
Lives for gear

the next 5....
Attached Thumbnails
Chris Lord- Alge Waves SSL Presets-picture-6.jpg   Chris Lord- Alge Waves SSL Presets-picture-7.jpg   Chris Lord- Alge Waves SSL Presets-picture-8.jpg   Chris Lord- Alge Waves SSL Presets-picture-9.jpg   Chris Lord- Alge Waves SSL Presets-picture-10.jpg  

Old 8th September 2006
Lives for gear

...and the next 4
Attached Thumbnails
Chris Lord- Alge Waves SSL Presets-picture-11.jpg   Chris Lord- Alge Waves SSL Presets-picture-12.jpg   Chris Lord- Alge Waves SSL Presets-picture-13.jpg   Chris Lord- Alge Waves SSL Presets-picture-14.jpg  

Last edited by jdjustice; 8th September 2006 at 06:17 PM.. Reason: correction
Old 8th September 2006
Lives for gear

ok here are the next 5.....
Attached Thumbnails
Chris Lord- Alge Waves SSL Presets-picture-15.jpg   Chris Lord- Alge Waves SSL Presets-picture-16.jpg   Chris Lord- Alge Waves SSL Presets-picture-17.jpg   Chris Lord- Alge Waves SSL Presets-picture-18.jpg   Chris Lord- Alge Waves SSL Presets-picture-19.jpg  

Old 8th September 2006
Lives for gear

...and the next and last 5.
this completes the CLA preset snapshots list...

Cheers

J.D.
Attached Thumbnails
Chris Lord- Alge Waves SSL Presets-picture-20.jpg   Chris Lord- Alge Waves SSL Presets-picture-21.jpg   Chris Lord- Alge Waves SSL Presets-picture-22.jpg   Chris Lord- Alge Waves SSL Presets-picture-23.jpg   Chris Lord- Alge Waves SSL Presets-picture-24.jpg  

Old 8th September 2006
Gear Nut

Thank you! These will be very helpful.
Old 10th September 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdjustice View Post
this completes the CLA preset snapshots list...

J.D.
Thank you very much!!!
Old 11th September 2006
Gear Addict

thanks.

-d. gauss
Old 11th September 2006
Lives for gear

you're very welcome!
Old 11th September 2006
Lives for gear

i know these presets are meant to be a "starting point"...........is that the reason there is never any subtractive eqing going on?
Old 11th September 2006
Deleted bd1be4f
Well, if you go through the presets, you'll see on a few there is subtractive EQ occasionally, such as on the tom presets, and one of the vocal ones, but as a rule, it appears CLA prefers additive mostly, probably because on all of the presets he's got the compressor placed after the EQ, so he's keying the comp by cranking certain frequencies, whereas if he were cutting it wouldn't affect the compressor the same way.
Old 11th September 2006
Lives for gear

.......that makes sense............another thing i dont really get:

on two of the snare presets he boosts 3db at 3khz and another 3 db at 2,5 khz....(in one preset even 9 db).........
Old 11th September 2006
Deleted bd1be4f
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexi View Post
.......that makes sense............another thing i dont really get:

on two of the snare presets he boosts 3db at 3khz and another 3 db at 2,5 khz....(in one preset even 9 db).........
Boosting twice at the two different frequencies will give you a different sound than just boosting at one frequency with a wider Q.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search