The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Chris Lord- Alge Waves SSL Presets Dynamics Plugins
Old 25th May 2006
LAU
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixerguy
Heya

nice pic

hey man - to each his own.

I ws just stating my opinion. dont be so defensive.

and.....

all i can say is - some folks dont have very developed listening skills.... or perhaps havent spent much quality time with the best hardware.....

well actually a lot of plugs suck soundwise, while creatively/productionwise they might be usefull in some sort of way (but that's another story)

but some are usefull.....

i do find the massenburg digital plug usefull, and there are some more....

i can see it getting better in the future too.....

but in the end, hardware and plugins are oranges and apples i guess....

it also depends heavily on the program material....

those ITB mixers mix contemporary music.....

classic styles probably sound better when mixed in a classic hardware environment....
Old 25th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefox
mixerGuy is right
ill take my manley eq over any plug eq
ill take my distressors over any plug compressor
ill take my hi end hardware reverb over any plug reverb
what more can i say
except use your ears.
If this is all you have to say, you could say nothing at all. How many times can you argue about the same fu*king subject...... hardware vs plugs.... I mean really, what are you with all of your audio wisdom adding that hasn't been said a gazillion times already? This thread was not about how wonderful mixerguys ears are or how wonderful hardware is, it's about CLA. We don't need to be lectured on this beat to death subject anymore, if we haven't got it by now we never will. So can we stick to the subject and STOP with all of the masturbation? Please?

Old 25th May 2006
Lives for gear

give that man a cigar
Old 25th May 2006
Lives for gear

Why wouldn't you just buy the SSL Duende and have the actual algos straight from SSL?
Old 25th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert
Why wouldn't you just buy the SSL Duende and have the actual algos straight from SSL?
Have you used the Duende? I wasn't aware that it was available quite yet...
Old 25th May 2006
News Desk Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdjustice
Have you used the Duende? I wasn't aware that it was available quite yet...
Yes I had a tweak around on it at the Paris AES last week!
Old 25th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert
Because they're emulation of hardware too . Nothing proves they're better . Listen for yourself ;

And for guys using TDM like me it's a no go .

Volodia
Old 25th May 2006
Gear Addict

I installed the CLA Waves SSL presets today. Pretty nice presets, much better than the stock ones. Good starting points for tweaking channels.
The 12mb installer also updates the SSL bundle to v1.2, it seems a lot less cpu intensive on my dual opteron system.
Old 25th May 2006
Lives for gear

Why are you plugin users getting so defensive about this anyway?

I use some plugins too, and I agree about the MDW, but generally speaking plugins sound really bad- and the new Waves ones didn't knock me out either when I demoed them.

Bottom line is that these are just plugins, that hasn't changed- and they are just presets, which may be a little helpful (or not) iif you want to learn about CLA's workflow, but still they're just some presets- and since the plugins DO sound and react differently than the hardware if you compare them under real-world circumstances (and not just a couple posted files on the internet), it just seems like hype to me.
Old 25th May 2006
Gear Guru

i really wonder how he benefitted from this...like what would that be worth to you? I'm sure they paid him, i wonder how much?
Old 25th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by robot gigante
Why are you plugin users getting so defensive about this anyway?

I use some plugins too, and I agree about the MDW, but generally speaking plugins sound really bad....blah, blah, blah, etc.
I'm not defending plugins or hardware. I love hardware.......and some plugs too. It's just that the argument is very old and it's tiresome to sift through the same tired comments over and over again. It's not like you are breaking new ground, so why is that every thread about a new plug or now even some new presets have to be hijacked by the same old tired phrases. Since you like hardware so much (and I never said that I didn't) why don't you go out and buy some for all of the folks who can't afford it? If you are not prepared to do that then aren't you just rubbing it in? I mean why is a guy like mixerGuy even reading this thread, let a lone posting on it? What is his real point? I think it's supposed to impress upon us all just how golden his ears really are, I mean he has pretty much said that he would never go anywhere near plugins anyway, so what is he doing? Just trying to make up for something (who knows what) thats missing in his life, would be my guess. Audio Masturbation is all that it amounts to. Thats all I'm going to say, this poor thread's been hijacked enough already.

Old 25th May 2006
Lives for gear

Man this place has gotten a bit, well jaded......I guess you can't please everyone.
Kind of reminds me of my 9 year old....buy her a vanilla ice cream, get in the car and she bitches that its not cookie dough......

I too prefer hardware, but I think these plugs are pretty cool. Also pretty cool that Waves handed it out for free.....I also find it kind of funny that some people here go out of their way on a thread they obviously could care less about just to bitch about it.....hmmmmm?
Old 25th May 2006
Lives for gear

It's not a $$ thing, I know a few people that have spent $4-5k on plugins...

I think that's money wasted, I mean they are going out and buying every new plugin suite as it comes out, because the plugins they've spent so much money on before aren't working for them I suppose. I've been guilty of it myself in the past.

For the people that have the Waves stuff already this seems to be pretty cool of them even though they are just some presets and no substitute for using your ears.

What I don't like about this is it's obviously hype to generate more sales- and though it might seem backwards but sometimes plugins are more expensive than hardware once you start adding things up.

EDIT- also, I'm not trying to use this as an excuse to bag on plugins, it's just that there has already been an immense amount of hype surrounding the Waves SSL plugs- I compared the bus comp to Digidesign's Impact and it was a lot closer to Impact than it was to hardware, in fact Impact I almost liked a little better when it came to the attack/release response, but the Waves really got hyped a lot more than Impact did despite the similar sound! It's the hype (which CLA presets are deliberately meant to fuel) that I object to. Hype + $$ out of the wallet = danger IMHO.
Old 26th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Heya

nice pic

hey man - to each his own.

I ws just stating my opinion. dont be so defensive.

and.....

all i can say is - some folks dont have very developed listening skills.... or perhaps havent spent much quality time with the best hardware.....

ps how many gold and platinum records do YOU have on your walls?

What the F*ck does that have to do with the price of fish?

I am not being defensive at all.

it seems you take an overeager delight in 'informing' everyone about your deep distaste for plugins - even when the thread does not invite or ask you to jump in with your oh so mighty opinion.

I could not give a rats ass if your walls are plastered in platinum records.

Perhaps it is you who should stop being so devensive - you do 'protest too much' about your dislike for plugs - so what if you do not like them.

We hear your message, but for god's sake stop jumping into threads that do not invite your opinion and telling us all how much they 'suck'.

Ok , now let me entertain your 'pissing' contest.

How many Gold or Platinum records do I have? - none, I don't write pop records.

I guess in your rather myopic world that 'validates' your tiresome opinion does it.

Please cease your eternal mission to hijack any thread that celebrates software plugs and declare your utter contempt, it is boring and merely demonstrates you have some underlying issues you need to address.

ps.

Get this everybody: Mixerguy has 'gold' and 'platinum' discs on his wall - that means his opinion on software plugs is more 'relevant' than ours - what he is actually saying in his sad way - is that, his 'gold' and 'platinum' records means that if he says something often enough and loudly enough then it must be true.

I mean how can I argue with a man with all those shiny records on his wall.

I'd better just give up he must be right!
Old 26th May 2006
Gear Addict

Good night. This is a thread about the CLA SSL Waves presets.

If you have used them, then comment good or bad.

Otherwise - S T F U

If you don't like plugins in general, then you obviously will not have the Waves SSL bundle so.... S T F U

If you hate Waves, then you will not have the Waves SSL bundle so.... S T F U

If you think CLA and his mixes suck, then you will not care to download the CLA SSL presets so.... S T F U

BTW, for those of you that fall into the last catagory (hating CLA and his mixes), get a clue. The records he has mixed have probably accounted for over 200 million units and counting.

The man is a badass.
Old 26th May 2006
Gear Guru

If no one mentions that these plugins aren't as good as their hardware counterpart, won't it eventually seem like they are?

Everyone has a right to post there opinion.

Sometimes it just makes people feel bad that their equipment isn't up to snuff so they don't want to hear it.

I don't have the time to try every plugin that comes out, so if the general consensus is that these plugins don't measure up to what I'm used to hearing when I mix on an SSL, I'd like to know.

BTW, I tried the CLA presets and thought that something seemed wrong. My mixes sounded more like TLA's mixes.

Old 26th May 2006
Lives for gear

Someone should post some the presets somewhere. I'm curious to see them. I've heard some before and after stuff that hes worked on and its insane the amount of eq and soundshaping he does.

I really want to see the deep snare preset..
Old 26th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
BTW, I tried the CLA presets and thought that something seemed wrong. My mixes sounded more like TLA's mixes.
heh
Old 26th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siem
I installed the CLA Waves SSL presets today. Pretty nice presets, much better than the stock ones. Good starting points for tweaking channels.
The 12mb installer also updates the SSL bundle to v1.2, it seems a lot less cpu intensive on my dual opteron system.
I've downloaded and installed the presets too, but it's on my mac, and only the G-Buss Compressor and E-Channel plugins were upgraded to 1.2 and have the CLA presets, the G-EQ still remains at 1.1 and no CLA presets..

anybody have the same issues on a MAC ?
Old 26th May 2006
Deleted bd1be4f
Quote:
Originally Posted by planet red
Someone should post some the presets somewhere. I'm curious to see them. I've heard some before and after stuff that hes worked on and its insane the amount of eq and soundshaping he does.

I really want to see the deep snare preset..
Seeing as how they are just presets and not actual software, I don't see a problem posting them, unless one of the moderators here says otherwise. If it's cool, I'd be happy to.

Yes, you're right, there is some serious EQ on some of the presets. I was a little surprised to see on certain presets some bands boosted or cut the full 15db that the EQ could do. Also, it's cool to get a couple of insights into his working preference, such as always EQing into the compressor section rather than putting the EQ after compression, where and how he likes to hipass and lopass certain things, little stuff like that.
Old 26th May 2006
Deleted bd1be4f
Quote:
Originally Posted by charleslee
I've downloaded and installed the presets too, but it's on my mac, and only the G-Buss Compressor and E-Channel plugins were upgraded to 1.2 and have the CLA presets, the G-EQ still remains at 1.1 and no CLA presets..

I don't think you're having any issues, there are no presets for the EQ plugin, only for the SSL Channel and Bus Comp plugs.
Old 26th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by charleslee

from Waves website (right above where you click to download CLA presets):

"The Chris Lord-Alge Updater includes presets for the E-Channel and G-Master Buss Compressor plug-ins only."
Old 26th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblotted
from Waves website (right above where you click to download CLA presets):

"The Chris Lord-Alge Updater includes presets for the E-Channel and G-Master Buss Compressor plug-ins only."
guess I was too excited to check out the presets that i missed the above description from Waves website
Old 26th May 2006
Deleted bd1be4f
Here's a screen shot of the deep snare preset at least...
Attached Thumbnails
Chris Lord- Alge Waves SSL Presets-cla.jpg  
Old 26th May 2006
Lives for gear

My boy Matt Smith pointed out to me an interesting observation (I have not had any time to really check them out).
Notice all the boosts!!! Not too many cuts really. I am a cut man for the most part...makes me kind of rethink a bit!

As has been mentioned before, this is cool tool if for nothing but to see how someone successful differs from yourself.

I say kudos to Waves and CLA for the insight.
Old 26th May 2006
Lives for gear

Big thank you to zboy2854!
Old 26th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestral
Big thank you to zboy2854!
Agreed!
Old 27th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:

ps how many gold and platinum records do YOU have on your walls?

man, that is just so offensive on so many levels. dude, if you think a producer or engineer's worth is determined by the number of RIAA awards on his wall, well, then you are a industry ******-bag. don't get defensive, i'm just sayin'

and i actually agree with you about folks not getting to spend time with the best hardware and not having very devolped listening skills. but you undermine your arguement by that p.s.

i have only worked on "indie" projects but "indie" projects done by "real" labels in "real" studios and the stuff i have worked on has gotten rave reviews and write-ups in every music magazine going like mojo, billboard, NME, music week, etc. and that is far more satisfying to me and the people i work with than being a remixer on some platinum crap that no one will remember, much less be proud of, in 3 years.

sorry to rant. just sayin...
Old 27th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Hey someone shoud post some more preset pics. I'm really interested just to see some of the presets. Not a means to an end...but it's Chris Lord Alge...the dudes great.

Thanks.

-C
Old 27th May 2006
Gear Nut

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by prismtheory
Hey someone shoud post some more preset pics. I'm really interested just to see some of the presets. Not a means to an end...but it's Chris Lord Alge
Agreed. It's been a while since I worked on an SSL, but I do know my way around one. And, while I personally don't like the CLA/TLA sound, I would never pass up an opportunity to take a peek at how they work. These presets are just that, not the whole picture, but a peek.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search