The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
New UAD 1176 and V6.2
Old 7th April 2012
Lives for gear

I thought it would be cool that every one could make his own opinion so I borrowed a drum loop on an old thread and processed it with the CLA.
There's the hardware unit, the CLA and the dry beat, there's more than 10dB of GR going on so the plug's working hard. The files are roughly level matched.
It would be great someone makes the newer UAD.
A.

Beat 03 CLA.wav

Beat 03 Dry.wav

Beat 03 HW.wav

Last edited by Andy_bt; 7th April 2012 at 05:09 AM.. Reason: tweaked the CLA settings...?!
Old 7th April 2012
Lives for gear

Since the CLA was modeled from a different 1176, they sound different. I clearly like the sound of the hardware better, but I am sure with some adjustment the CLA would sound better. Yes hardware is still the best though the difference has been reduced in the past 2 years.
Old 7th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tube World View Post
Since the CLA was modeled from a different 1176, they sound different. I clearly like the sound of the hardware better, but I am sure with some adjustment the CLA would sound better. Yes hardware is still the best though the difference has been reduced in the past 2 years.
I don't know the original settings but I'll TRY to match it better so it's fair...
A.
Old 7th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
I find your response humorous. There are threads on gearslutz that compares the original 1176 plug in to the real one and some preferred the plug in. When the CLA came out, most including UAD fans admitted the Waves version sounded closer to the hardware version though they still liked the original UAD version. Now UAD comes out with a new and improved and now ever other emulation that was praised before now sucks. I heard a A/B with the Waves plug in and the one hardware version unit they sampled. It was like 97 percent the same. I admit the new UAD 1176 is just wonderful and it sounds a little different than the CLA version. But I believe UA sampled a new 1176 hardware unit while Waves sampled an older unit. Both great, you may prefer one over the other, but equally as impressive. heh
Waves modelled plastic sounding hardware pieces and UA modelled really great punchy sounding hardware 1176s.

Come native developers, get your act together! I really want to buy your plugins and be finally free from the crappy UAD platform, but you need to step up your game!
Old 7th April 2012
Gear Addict

The new UAD 1176s look very sexy, but I don't have the card and will never buy one. I just tried Guitar Rig 5 yesterday and tested the NI/Softube 1176, dbx 160 and the LA2A. I had the hardware UREI 1178 as well as a dbx 160x for years and these two Softube comps (VC76/ VC160) sound pretty good. I still have some UREI/dbx -audio clips on my hard disk to compare. These two comps are 95% there and in some situations even better (less distortion, exact stereo image, no noise etc).

It's weird, I never liked Softubes silver version of the 1176, but the VC76 is different, much better! For 199.-€ you get the whole Vintage Compressor bundle, good job NI/Softube!
Old 7th April 2012
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonDonsen View Post
The new UAD 1176s look very sexy, but I don't have the card and will never buy one. I just tried Guitar Rig 5 yesterday and tested the NI/Softube 1176, dbx 160 and the LA2A. I had the hardware UREI 1178 as well as a dbx 160x for years and these two Softube comps (VC76/ VC160) sound pretty good. I still have some UREI/dbx -audio clips on my hard disk to compare. These two comps are 95% there and in some situations even better (less distortion, exact stereo image, no noise etc).

It's weird, I never liked Softubes silver version of the 1176, but the VC76 is different, much better! For 199.-€ you get the whole Vintage Compressor bundle, good job NI/Softube!

Yeah I never liked Softubes original 76 either. Just kind of choked everything for me.
Old 7th April 2012
RiF
Lives for gear

Oh yeah, what I have really been missing so far:
more plugin compressors... Time to get excited...
Old 7th April 2012
Two Gear Heads

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearNerd View Post
Waves modelled plastic sounding hardware pieces and UA modelled really great punchy sounding hardware 1176s.

Come native developers, get your act together! I really want to buy your plugins and be finally free from the crappy UAD platform, but you need to step up your game!
I'm sorry, but native developers already stepped up their game, a lot actually! If you believe UAD plugins are by definition better than any other native alternative, than I'm afraid you are not being objective.. not at all.

UAD makes some very useful plugins, no doubt, but the same can be said for many native plugin developers.

That's why we (solidtrax) are happy to use both UAD and native plugins in our projects. Best of both worlds.. heh
Old 7th April 2012
Two Gear Heads

Quote:
I find your response humorous. There are threads on gearslutz that compares the original 1176 plug in to the real one and some preferred the plug in. When the CLA came out, most including UAD fans admitted the Waves version sounded closer to the hardware version though they still liked the original UAD version. Now UAD comes out with a new and improved and now ever other emulation that was praised before now sucks. I heard a A/B with the Waves plug in and the one hardware version unit they sampled. It was like 97 percent the same. I admit the new UAD 1176 is just wonderful and it sounds a little different than the CLA version. But I believe UA sampled a new 1176 hardware unit while Waves sampled an older unit. Both great, you may prefer one over the other, but equally as impressive. heh
Yeah, completely agree on this one!
Old 7th April 2012
Gear Head

I started the new uad 1176 demo last night. I spent most of my time on the one with a light face and a blue strip, I think they call it rev A. I gotta say I really liked it. The gain staging really effects the sound and it felt like I was playing with a piece of hardware. My only complaint is that there is no box to open and no new gear smell but shipping was incredibly fast.
I'm almost sure I'll buy it, probably just keep the demo unit.

Gearslutz App
Old 7th April 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
But I believe UA sampled a new 1176 hardware unit while Waves sampled an older unit. heh
Maybe you meant the first uad 1176 plug in but with the new one you get three versions, rev A, rev E and rev AE. I gather rev A is the old one, rev E is the low noise and rev AE is a hybrid with a 10ms attack and 2:1 ratio option. I would expect rev A would be sampled or modeled after a pretty old unit but I really don't know for sure.

Gearslutz App
Old 7th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Waves modelled plastic sounding hardware pieces
Yeah... CLA wouldn't know a good 1176 even if it landed on his head

Last edited by gussyg2007; 7th April 2012 at 02:00 PM.. Reason: more sarcasm
Old 7th April 2012
Lives for gear

Yeah...slagging of CLA is very bad karma actually (and bad for your mixing and your ears and soul).......this guy has stacked up too much success and made far too much dosh to bother putting his name on a poop plugin....''can't polish a turd''...''can't make a silk purse out of a pigs ear!''...GOLDEN sayings from the bible of mixing...certainly not the fault of any plugin or the hardware it was made from....i guess some of us expect to simply drop a plugin on a track and crank it up and...hey pressto.....we are super dooper....
i'd say give it about twenty years too discover that this will never ever work!
Why do you think CLA leaves his pieces pretty much set to one setting and rarely deviates...because it does one thing very well and he understands exactly what he is doing.
Old 7th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gussyg2007 View Post
Yeah... CLA wouldn't know a good 1176 even if it landed on his head
Maybe what landed on his head was a big stack of dollar bills.
Old 7th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearNerd View Post
I took the time yesterday to drive and hour to my friend's place to a/b the CLA and UAD. This statement is just not accurate and came from someone who obviously hasn't done the shootout. Don't get me wrong, my dislike for WAVES as a company is no secret but the CLA 76 plugs were excellent. I did prefer the UAD but not by a huge margin, The UAD versions have more to choose between them, seem to have better headroom and the AE version flat out blows me away ( and is a sonic option that to my knowledge no one else has ). To say that the CLA 1176s sound plastic is just not true, sorry. Can't wait to see UADs version of the API stuff and then my life will be an even happier place
Old 7th April 2012
Lives for gear

waves know what they are doing... CLA knows what he is doing ...if you cant make good use of the waves CL bundle I suggest a career change :-)
I'm sure the new UAD ones are top notch as well ,will get round to demoing them at some point
Old 7th April 2012
Lives for gear

I started with a 3mb disk on my S950 + atari 1024 st +Pro 24...

I made my first hit single with a 800mhz pc +soundblaster live+general midi ...no eq or comp , intergrtaed reverb ....cakewalk pro audio ....

Give me what ever you want , i will make the best of it .....if it's not your case.....then buying UAD ...CLA or MyAsssss Comps will not change a thing ....find another job ...or google : "good hear and talent for cheap" .....

I saw few dayz ago a Dave pensado ...video and the guy mixing nikky menage was mainly using renaissance (Waves) , i smiled , said to my self "i'm not a martien , people still using it , there's still some unbiased engineers and talented people...cool!"

Back to the topic : beautyfull new toys ...that i ain't gonna buy
Old 7th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeezo View Post
I saw few dayz ago a Dave pensado ...video and the guy mixing nicki minaj was mainly using renaissance (Waves) , i smiled , said to my self "i'm not a martien , people still using it
In pro circles, Waves Ren is still the most common plug-in bundle I see in use.

I assume UA will re-do the LA2A, Fairchild, Pultec, Cambridge EQ.
Old 7th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopularDemand View Post

The Ren de-esser has a better visual of how it is working than most,and the Ren compressor still sounds great.

Sent from my PC36100 using Gearslutz App
Old 7th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
I know me too ....but not a lot seen on plugins videos
Old 7th April 2012
Lives for gear
I'm glad they up dated the 1176 and la2a,I have these same emu's from other companies and noticed that the newer Plugins(as I said before)sound more Like hardware.

Can uad improve over what I've notice as an improvement over there 12 year old models?

If so,its well worth it!

As the the gap tightens between hardware and software.

Question,when I update to 6.2 and or upgrade to the new bundle, will have access to all 1176 and la2a emu's?

I'd love to demo and hear the magic!

Old 7th April 2012
Lives for gear
Quote:

Funny on other threads pros claim to not use Plugins,I was banned for calling them liars LOL.

Thankz PD!

Old 7th April 2012
Lives for gear

UAD Effects in a Mix - Cockos Confederated Forums

I have a long running UAD effects post on the Reaper forum that has UAD effects in a mix but they are in OGG format. Try out Reaper if your DAW doesn't play OGG's. I've posted the new 1176 compressors so you can hear them in a mix and compare them to the original UAD 1176 and a hardware 1176 from a UAD 6176. There are also a lot of other UAD effects also.
Old 7th April 2012
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by camerondye View Post
UAD Effects in a Mix - Cockos Confederated Forums

I have a long running UAD effects post on the Reaper forum that has UAD effects in a mix but they are in OGG format. Try out Reaper if your DAW doesn't play OGG's. I've posted the new 1176 compressors so you can hear them in a mix and compare them to the original UAD 1176 and a hardware 1176 from a UAD 6176. There are also a lot of other UAD effects also.
TRY REAPER HUH...

Old 7th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
very true but look at the chain on the way in. there's usually very little need for more character after what the signal has been thru
Old 7th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYINGJAY View Post
TRY REAPER HUH...
If your DAW doesn't play OGG's, most do...some don't. I don't have anything to do with Reaper besides liking it a bunch and using it in my studio. If you think I have motives, please pass on listening to the files but I wanted to give people a way to listen if they couldn't with their own DAW. I've also been on gearslutz for many years and while I do have Reaper Love posts I would say the majority aren't.
cam
Old 7th April 2012
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhythmtech View Post
very true but look at the chain on the way in. there's usually very little need for more character after what the signal has been thru
I ALSO SAID THAT...

Old 7th April 2012
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_bt View Post
I thought it would be cool that every one could make his own opinion so I borrowed a drum loop on an old thread and processed it with the CLA.
There's the hardware unit, the CLA and the dry beat, there's more than 10dB of GR going on so the plug's working hard. The files are roughly level matched.
A.

Attachment 285883

Attachment 285880

Attachment 285887
I'm listening in a fairly treated room and I hear the difference between the software and the hardware and of course could well be the different hardware they modeled after the other.
The difference is very small, if you think you can't make decent sounding record using the software you need to rethink what your doing wrong, the problem could be you not the tools.

It Comes down to individual folks taste. Let's not forget about what u may think is sexy may be the opposite to others
Old 7th April 2012
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy_bt View Post
A.

Attachment 285883

Attachment 285880

Attachment 285887
Now let's hear the new UA plugins anyone already got the new UA plugs care to share? heh
Old 7th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiKi View Post
I'm listening in a fairly treated room and I hear the difference between the software and the hardware and of course could well be the different hardware they modeled after the other.
The difference is very small, if you think you can't make decent sounding record using the software you need to rethink what your doing wrong, the problem could be you not the tools.

It Comes down to individual folks taste. Let's not forget about what u may think is sexy may be the opposite to others
I felt the CLA blue sounded much closer than the black for this comparison, so different models sure make a big difference.
When you think to the massive amount of GR going there I find the plug to be very decent...
I'd be really interested in hearing the UAD also (medium attack, fastest release and a 8:1 ratio should get you in the area).
A.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search