The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Chameleon Labs "Tube Pencil Condenser" for $499
Old 21st May 2006
Lives for gear

Chameleon Labs "Tube Pencil Condenser" for $499

I saw this in an ad in Tape Op; doesn't look like it's even on their website yet.

"Ships with cardioid and omni capsules. AKG series capsule adapter available (Tubify your vintage 451)

edit: I found it on their website. You had to scroll down to the bottom of the CS-1 page and click the arrow that says "next".

I think these guys were smart to start with a Neve clone because they knew you guys would generate pages and pages of free publicity.

Know what I think? I think they're gonna sell a bunch of gear, despite what anyone thinks about 'em.

More stuff: "The TS-1 microphone is a pentode cathode follower design using the 5840 tube. The system includes power supply, tube output module, cardiod capsule, omni capsule, AKG capsule adapter, 7 pin cable, shockmount, and case."
Attached Thumbnails
Chameleon Labs "Tube Pencil Condenser" for 9-ts1pre.jpg  
Old 21st May 2006
Lives for gear

looks interesting..gotta be better than a fricking km184 for OH or agt dutiesheh
Old 21st May 2006
Lives for gear

Yeah, the sound'll be everything, obviously, but a pair for a grand is in the price territory of Avenson omnis. Damn cheap. Here's hoping they sound nice.

Oh, yeah: http://www.chameleonlabs.com/catalog2.htm
Old 21st May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by max cooper
Yeah, the sound'll be everything, obviously, but a pair for a grand is in the price territory of Avenson omnis. Damn cheap. Here's hoping they sound nice.

Hey Max have you heard the 7602 in person?
Old 21st May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by superburtm

No, but I'm in the market for more preamps these days. I'm really only looking at stuff without EQ's. Looks like it's gonna be PA Four next. (a bit O/T there)
Old 23rd May 2006
Gear Maniac

So, let's see if I've got this right:

With the AKG capsule adapter, one could use the Red line of lollipop capsules?
Old 23rd May 2006
Lives for gear

Looks VERY tempting!! Won't be released till 3Q. I'm definately gonna check this one out!

Thanks Max!
Old 23rd May 2006
Lives for gear

Looks like the 451 capsule standard is becoming the api lunchbox of microphones. 451, 452, 460 (audio upgrades modifiable), 480, c28, c60, c61, innertube four fifty, now the chameleon. That's a lot of different sounding amplifier bodies to go with a lot of different sounding small and large diaphragm capsules. Some need adapters, but they still work.
Old 23rd May 2006
Lives for gear

It'll be interesting to see what these street for, and whether they bring a new sound to the party. I'm hoping for smooth and creamy, like a workingman's C-28.
Old 23rd May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by murp
So, let's see if I've got this right:

With the AKG capsule adapter, one could use the Red line of lollipop capsules?
Good point. Would be worth knowing fer sure.
Old 24th May 2006
Lives for gear

If they actually get it right, an adapter that allows the mic body to accept ck-1's and other 451-type capsules will also work with any threaded red lollipop capsule. If you want to use the bayonet style capsules there is a second adapter made by a guy named Matt Nolan in England, that allows you to do that.
Old 24th May 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by max cooper

Aren't Avenson STO-2's $500 for a matched pair?
Old 24th May 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy!!
Aren't Avenson STO-2's $500 for a matched pair?
yup.
Old 24th May 2006
Lives for gear

wikked: VERY interested!

I just purchased another couple of RED caps (R4/M50 clone, and R7/U-47 clone) to go with my R6/C-12, and I could use a few more 451-type bodies.

I'd pref. a "tube" compliment: I was seriously thinking of the Innertube retrofit till I saw this! More flavours are always welcome!

I anxiously await seeing/hearing this!

3rd Q this year can't come fast enough!
Old 24th May 2006
Gear Maniac

I seem to recall Red having a "Type A" microphone body, which was the same idea as their "Type B", except it was tube, not solid state - anyone know where that went?

Something like this would be cool as it would give us another option for bodies.

Anyone know if anyone else is doing 451-style bodies or capsules?
Old 24th May 2006
Lives for gear

One of the best ones I know of is the AKG 460, as modified by Jim Williams at Audio Upgrades. These start out a little hard sounding, but after the mod you feel like you're going to fall right inside of them they are so clear and deep. Real DC to Daylight stuff, and very fast and modern compared to a stock 451. He also does a 451 mod that leaves in the tranny but cleans up the high end a little that I think is very useful as well. The 460 needs an AKG adapter to use the Blue Lollipops.
Old 24th May 2006
Here for the gear

[QUOTE=murp]I seem to recall Red having a "Type A" microphone body, which was the same idea as their "Type B", except it was tube, not solid state - anyone know where that went?

Murp,
The RED Type A didn't go anywhere. On the contrary, it hasn't arrived yet! We are still in production, but it will be available this summer.
Old 24th May 2006
500 series nutjob

ah
looks like it maybe cool!
it's a good time for gear junkies these days.
Old 1st June 2006
Lives for gear

Can't wait to try this thing!
Not many options in this price range for tube/pencil mics.
GT40 under $500 or Scheops 222 close to $2K. Vintage KM54, AKG c60,
Schoeps 221b/cm6
...all too rich for my blood.
Old 25th August 2006
bee
Lives for gear

I'm extremely interested in this mic. I'm think'n it will only be a short time before someone comes up with a badass mod for it.
Old 25th August 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by softwareguy View Post
If they actually get it right, an adapter that allows the mic body to accept ck-1's and other 451-type capsules will also work with any threaded red lollipop capsule. If you want to use the bayonet style capsules there is a second adapter made by a guy named Matt Nolan in England, that allows you to do that.
I googled "Matt Nolan bayonet capsule adapter" and nothing useful came up. How do I get one of these adapters? Thanks.
Old 25th August 2006
Jai guru deva om

Quote:
Originally Posted by bee View Post
I'm extremely interested in this mic. I'm think'n it will only be a short time before someone comes up with a badass mod for it.
We haven't heard it yet though...are you sure it will need a mod?

War
Old 25th August 2006
bee
Lives for gear

I'm thinking it's a good educated guess. We'll find out soon hopefully.
Old 29th August 2006
C/G
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by majortom View Post
I googled "Matt Nolan bayonet capsule adapter" and nothing useful came up. How do I get one of these adapters? Thanks.
I have seen them on ebay.
Old 31st August 2006
Lives for gear

ts-1 samples

I've been listening to the samples, and I'm very impressed. I DO realize that the manufacturer did the samples, so you never know what your getting, but, let's assume they are honest:

Violin: The M147 sounds like it is capturing only the sound of the violin's bridge. The ts-1 is capturing much more of the body. It was obvious withing the first 10 seconds. I think the ts-1 is, suprisingly, a much better sound.

Guitar: This is more of a tossup, I think. The KM84 sounds, well, like a KM84 -- beautiful. Nice balance between bridge and body. The ts-1 sounds nice as well -- a bit more body, less string.

Flute: Haven't listened yet. What do you think?

I'm pretty excited about this offering from CL.

- Jim
Old 3rd September 2006
Lives for gear

Their preamp's samples sound excellent as well.

I hope it's an honest demo for the price is killer!

Paul Blenn
Old 8th September 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by superburtm View Post
I just got 2 of them and gave my first impressions on The LOw End Theory. Truly sick eq
Old 17th September 2006
Lives for gear

Bo's SDC

Golden Age Project TC3: Tube condenser, small capsule, multipattern (3 capsules), $439!

ruudman
Attached Thumbnails
Chameleon Labs "Tube Pencil Condenser" for 9-tc3_big.jpg  
Old 17th September 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasoundjunkie View Post
I just got 2 of them and gave my first impressions on The LOw End Theory. Truly sick eq
Please elaborate. Any sound samples? I am really interested in this baby!

Paul Blenn
Old 18th September 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruudman View Post
Golden Age Project TC3: Tube condenser, small capsule, multipattern (3 capsules), $439!

ruudman
Is this AKG compatible threads?

Interestıng....

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search