The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Chameleon Labs "Tube Pencil Condenser" for $499
Old 25th November 2006
Gear Addict

Hey warhead!

I'm living in Europe where the power system = 220 V. Does the power supply for TS-1 support this? I might order from Front end if there's no power issues. heh
Old 25th November 2006
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benmrx View Post
Quite embarassed to ask, but....after all this is why I love gearslutz. I've never owned a 451 style mic, blue, red, anything of the sort.

Is it basically that any of the red/blue caps will work with an AKG 451, or this new Chameleon Labs mic (with the AKG adapter), or any mic that claims to have the 451 style body?

That's what I've been led to believe......but it just sorta sounds too good to be true. If so, I'm gonna have to lust after a pair of these Chameleons and a pair of the Red B6 capsules for drum OH and acoustic guitar duties.
Red has a 1 off capsule that fits the Oktava and I'm told there is an adaptor to make that fit a 451. The other R series of capsules are for a different style of mic (Nuemann, Blue Bottle, Red etc) and cannot be used witha 451 style of mic.

Can someone with more knowledge finish this - I'm trying to remember who makes 451 capsules or mics - I think Innertube might be one
Old 25th November 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmDingo View Post
Red has a 1 off capsule that fits the Oktava and I'm told there is an adaptor to make that fit a 451. The other R series of capsules are for a different style of mic (Nuemann, Blue Bottle, Red etc) and cannot be used witha 451 style of mic.

Can someone with more knowledge finish this - I'm trying to remember who makes 451 capsules or mics - I think Innertube might be one
IIRC,

BLUE originally made a LD condenser capsule for AKG's modular SD mics - 451's, 452's, or their tube bretheren, the C-61, and C-28 (I don't have either of the AKG tube models) This capsule is what is now called the R6, modelled after the venerable "C-12" .

More recently, BLUE offered 6 other capsules, all modelled after other world class mics - these can also be ordered to fit the '451' micamp, so currently there's 7 caps for AKG's design.

Even more recently, RED/VintageMics takes over for BLUE with regard to capsules/sales - I don't know all these details etc., tho I suspect at the end of the day they're the same darn thing, just now different marketing...

SO - in short - YES - all "R" series capsules can fit the "451" micamp...
Old 25th November 2006
Lives for gear

Ok, here is the Chameleon Labs TS-1 with ADP-1 (AKG Adapter) and a RED R0 (Elam Type) Capsule head. Everything fits nicely together.. The ADP-1 adapter is more of a silverish color instead of the nickel that the MIc is, have no reason why they did that..The connections were very smooth between the 3 pieces. For me I wanted a pair of tube bodies for my RED heads and for $900 I got a pair. The Innertube Audio ones are probably superior but it was just a cost issue. A Pair of TS-1's were cheaper than 1 of the Innertube systems. Now if I can only get some time to use them! I will try to post when I can.

Old 25th November 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by netrom View Post
Hey warhead!

I'm living in Europe where the power system = 220 V. Does the power supply for TS-1 support this? I might order from Front end if there's no power issues. heh
Hey Netrom, just check and the power supply IS switchable from 115V to 230V.
Old 25th November 2006
Lives for gear

Rob, you live pretty close to me. PM if we can set up a time for me to listen to those pappers.
Old 25th November 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob King View Post
Hey Netrom, just check and the power supply IS switchable from 115V to 230V.
Thanks Rob! You're da man! heh
Old 25th November 2006
500 series nutjob

i love the R-0 redhead very nice capsule ; )
Old 25th November 2006
Lives for gear

It seems like an awesome value.
I noticed they just updated their website,check out their new LD tube mic.
http://www.chameleonlabs.com/catalog3.htm
Old 25th November 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob King View Post
Ok, here is the Chameleon Labs TS-1 with ADP-1 (AKG Adapter) and a RED R0 (Elam Type) Capsule head. Everything fits nicely together.. The ADP-1 adapter is more of a silverish color instead of the nickel that the MIc is, have no reason why they did that..The connections were very smooth between the 3 pieces. For me I wanted a pair of tube bodies for my RED heads and for $900 I got a pair. The Innertube Audio ones are probably superior but it was just a cost issue. A Pair of TS-1's were cheaper than 1 of the Innertube systems. Now if I can only get some time to use them! I will try to post when I can.

Exactly what I wanted to hear. Can't wait to read some reviews
Old 3rd December 2006
I've been using my TS-1 pair a lot lately and I'm liking them more and more. To me, they seem kind of dark but very smooth. Nice body/midrange. They take EQ well (like when I crank the high end up) and also can take a good amount of SPL. So far I've used them on overheads, snare top and bottom, grand piano (really smoothed out a very bright C-7), vibes, marimba, acoustic guitar, and on an old Fender Blackface. The mics worked great on everything.
Old 5th December 2006
Lives for gear

Also, check out the TS-2, LDC (Tube), coming down the pipe...
Old 30th December 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn1272 View Post
I've been using my TS-1 pair a lot lately and I'm liking them more and more. To me, they seem kind of dark but very smooth. Nice body/midrange. They take EQ well (like when I crank the high end up) and also can take a good amount of SPL. So far I've used them on overheads, snare top and bottom, grand piano (really smoothed out a very bright C-7), vibes, marimba, acoustic guitar, and on an old Fender Blackface. The mics worked great on everything.
bump

Nice to see reviews - thx!

I'm still contemplating getting a pr., tho mostly to be paired with the various AKG/BLUE/RED caps for my 451's, but - if the TS-1's stock caps are useable, then this is a bonus!

Any others with experiences on the TS-1's? Any using 'other' caps with their AKG ring adapter?!? heh

Thanks to all - Happy New Year!!!
Old 4th September 2007
Lives for gear

Anyone selling these in Europe?
Old 5th December 2007
Gear Addict

how do these mics compare to the akg 451? brighter? darker? smoother? are they fairly hyped and zippy or more neutral and flat sounding?

what are you liking them on?
Old 5th December 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Anyone selling these in Europe?
You can buy them in Europe

The price is 420€+VAT, not too bad! thumbsup
Old 5th December 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by videoteque View Post
You can buy them in Europe

The price is 420€+VAT, not too bad! thumbsup
€330 in the states. I'd pay €400 inc vat, but €500 is a bit steep.
Old 5th December 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by joninc View Post
how do these mics compare to the akg 451? brighter? darker? smoother? are they fairly hyped and zippy or more neutral and flat sounding?

what are you liking them on?
After much debating, I currently have a pr. as well.

They are not as bright as a 451/CK1, but still lean towards brighter sounding than dark.

The cardioid caps have less bass response than the omni's, and IME, when used as kit OH's, can be a bit anemic - they require close(r) micing for them to have a fuller response.

That said, I REALLY dig them, esp. with the BLUE/RED caps I currently have. Their omni cap is very good on acoustic bass, and they do provide a lot of detail. I've also had success with them (and stock caps) on piano, and acoustic guitar.

I'm quite glad they're not too bright - I have lots of bright mics, so it's a good balance to what I have.

Hope this helps,

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search