The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
5059 Satellite Summing Mixer from Rupert Neve Designs
Old 21st March 2012
Gear Nut

Rupert Neve Satellite 5059

the new summing amp from rupert

Rupert Neve Designs – Satellite 5059 16×2+2 Mixer
Old 21st March 2012
Lives for gear

Sweet.

Any word on price?
Old 21st March 2012
very well thought out, and some clever addons make it desireable
Old 21st March 2012
Gear Addict

I like
Old 21st March 2012
Lives for gear

Just saw the unit today and I was really hoping it would be a mastering EQ... Anyway, all the new Rupert Neve products seem amazing, including this new summing/mixer!
Old 21st March 2012
Gear Head

Looking forward to hearing this one!
Old 21st March 2012
Gear Head

5059 Satellite Summing Mixer from Rupert Neve Designs

ENTER TO WIN 5059 SERIAL #2 BEFORE 03/26/2012 BY GOING TO Rupert Neve Designs – Rupert’s Mystery Product Contest

At the 2012 Musik Messe show in Frankfurt, Rupert Neve Designs is introducing the 5059 16x2x2 satellite mixer. Built around many of the class-A topologies and custom transformers made famous with the 5088 mixer and Portico II Series, the 5059 is designed to deliver the ultimate “out of the box” sonics and ergonomics in a 2U, rack-mountable chassis.

Each 5059 features 16 channels with individual level, pan, inserts, stereo-2 sends, and master texture controls, providing easy integration with outboard equipment, complete control for two separate stem mixes, and the ability to dial in analogue mojo in two modes. With the same sonic heritage as mixers used to create countless hit records, the 5059 Satellite mixer reinvigorates lifeless digital tracks with the legendary warmth and presence of a Rupert Neve design.

The keys to the sonic prowess of the 5059 are the custom transformers and true class-A topologies found within. . The class-A topologies in the 5059 have been fine tuned over a number of years to provide exceptional sonic performance and virtually eliminate cross-over distortion. When combined with Mr. Rupert Neve’s transformer design and implementation, the 5059 achieves a remarkable purity, while also conveying the signature warmth and larger than life sound reminiscent of Rupert’s classic designs.

Like the Portico series modules, continuously variable Texture control with Silk and Silk+ modes allows the engineer to fine tune the harmonic ratio and tonality of each stereo send of the 5059. Silk mode accentuates the transformer saturation in the high frequencies to add more brightness to the sound, and Silk + mode accentuates the saturation of the low frequencies for more thickness.

Channel inserts are provided in the 5059 to streamline interconnections with analogue outboard equipment and to allow for further expansions of the 5059’s capabilities. By connecting a second 5059 to the insert outputs of a 5059, the dual stereo outputs can be used as a way to add 4 auxes to each of the 16 channels.

Aside from providing aux functionality with a second 5059 module, the dual stereo outputs of the 5059 are generally used for creating stem mixes. These stem mixes can be enhanced by using the Silk / Texture controls on the 5059, processed by buss compressors or other devices and fed into inputs of another mixer or an ADC.

With 16 channels of Rupert Neve designed, class-A magic, and numerous tonal and routing options, the 5059 Satelite mixer can elevate your DAW based studio’s sound and performance to new heights.
Attached Thumbnails
5059 Satellite Summing Mixer from Rupert Neve Designs-5059-shallow-top-side-angle-35.jpg   5059 Satellite Summing Mixer from Rupert Neve Designs-5059-back.jpg   5059 Satellite Summing Mixer from Rupert Neve Designs-5059-straight-35.jpg   5059 Satellite Summing Mixer from Rupert Neve Designs-5059-bottom-right-wide.jpg  
Old 21st March 2012
Lives for gear

interesting
Old 21st March 2012
Lives for gear

I really don't get all these summing boxes. We all know summing outside of the box does not improve the sound at all. What it does do is add the character of the box that people like and hence they have their improved sound.

I have several Portico pre's in my studio. What am I suppose to do with this box, run my tracks through it and add more Portico character and then go back in the box? I already run my 2 bus mixes throught the 5033 EQ and Portico compressors. I dont' understand what or why I would need this box.....and I am a huge Portico fan. What am I missing?
Old 21st March 2012
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tube World View Post
I really don't get all these summing boxes. We all know summing outside of the box does not improve the sound at all. What it does do is add the character of the box that people like and hence they have their improved sound.

I have several Portico pre's in my studio. What am I suppose to do with this box, run my tracks through it and add more Portico character and then go back in the box? I already run my 2 bus mixes throught the 5033 EQ and Portico compressors. I dont' understand what or why I would need this box.....and I am a huge Portico fan. What am I missing?
What your missing is some people don't already own portico gear! Also, some people will seek a summing box wether you think it has a use or not! Why not a Portico Summing box?
Old 21st March 2012
Gear Addict

No mutes?
Old 21st March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:

Try to understand the difference between ITB summing and OTB summing with calibrated DA's... Enough info here on the forum to understand. I didn't believe the "hype". Untill I really try how to mix with a summingbox... frickin eye opener.
Old 21st March 2012
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMauce View Post
Try to understand the difference between ITB summing and OTB summing with calibrated DA's... Enough info here on the forum to understand. I didn't believe the "hype". Untill I really try how to mix with a summingbox... frickin eye opener.
In which regard to you mean calibrated ?

Kind regards
Old 22nd March 2012
The winner wins a price worth 3000$

So I guess the price will be 3000$

Thinking about to swap my Dangerous 2-busLT for this baby. Could be a very good step up for my drum submixer before hitting the X-Desk. I'd have level, pan and inserts.
Old 22nd March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomteontour View Post
In which regard to you mean calibrated ?

Kind regards
Every DA has his "sweetspot" in the dBfs output segment where it sounds on his best.
Plus if the Summing box has opamps or transfo on the input. You need to find the way how hard to drive them before it sound bad. Passive summingbox's don't have it. But like a Nizericer16 you can drive the input very low and get a clean summed signal. Or you push it very hard on the inputs and get that crunchy sound.

I have to say that under 16channel summing de diff isn't that great.
Old 22nd March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TristanRhodes View Post
...The class-A topologies in the 5059 have been fine tuned over a number of years to provide exceptional sonic performance and virtually eliminate cross-over distortion
so analog summing finally comes close to a digital mix buss ?
Old 22nd March 2012
any talk about when these are supposed to be available?
Old 22nd March 2012
Gear Nut

Quote:

I think a lot of it has to do with workflow. If you've got loads of outboard gear, then staying in the analog domain longer and saving roundtrips to the DAW can really simplify things and help you focus on the music. Tactile controls are also a nice bonus. I was looking at summing boxes a while back, but eventually just opted for an actual analog console again There's nothing wrong at all with ITB summing, but in terms of mixing and workflow it is a vastly different ( and sometimes trickier ) animal than analog. Check this thread for oodles of good information:

The Reason Most ITB mixes don’t Sound as good as Analog mixes (restored)
Old 23rd March 2012
Lives for gear

Sweet!
Old 23rd March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
We all know summing outside of the box does not improve the sound at all. What it does do is add the character of the box that people like and hence they have their improved sound.
I'm not sure that "we all know" anything...

But if a box adds a character to the sound that people like, I would say that is an improvement...at least subjectively.
Old 23rd March 2012
Lives for gear

I strongly support the summing mixer lifestyle.
Old 23rd March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:

You are missing the fact that not everyone agrees with you re: summing boxes and the value they add. (for example, it would seem Rupert Neve is a believer)

Your other point (character adding the improvement) is like your girlfriend getting mad at you because you are looking at a girl "just because she's attractive" of course I am attracted to her... SHE'S ATTRACTIVE!

Also, and I don't want to de-rail this thread (although the wheels are seemingly coming off already) how would you explain those - such as mixerman and others - who use COLORLESS summing boxes and still find enough benefit in them to incorporate them in to their workflow?

[please submit your answers to then endless, pointless, threads debating this topic that can be found littering gearslutz.]
Old 23rd March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svenn99 View Post
Old 23rd March 2012
As soon as this hits the streets I would love to be able to bring it to the studio and play with it for a couple days, and just run old mixes through it.
Old 23rd March 2012
Gear Addict

How would you connect this to your audio interface?

Thanks
Old 23rd March 2012
Gear Head

Bet it sounds great but I'm puzzled at the lack of control room functionality and main inserts. Unfortunately the 8816 (which seems to be it's direct competition) has those. Sure would be fun to put it through it's paces tho.
Old 24th March 2012
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lethem View Post
How would you connect this to your audio interface?

Thanks
I assume you mean to your converters? If you've got DSUB I/O on your converters then it would be very simple. This unit is all DSUB except for the XLRs on the 2 stereo mixes.
Old 24th March 2012
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrizly View Post
I assume you mean to your converters? If you've got DSUB I/O on your converters then it would be very simple. This unit is all DSUB except for the XLRs on the 2 stereo mixes.
Thanks for the info! I don't know much about Hardware im 100% ITB but this looks awesome.

What would the typical setup to use this be like. I currently use an EMU 1820m how would i use this summing mixer.
Old 24th March 2012
Gear Addict

I've been talking to Josh and waiting for this product for months! I'm excited.

My current thinking on summing boxes is to use them as alternative master busses for my mixing board. I've switched from protools to Radar so I'm locked into mixing boards for panning and summing anyway.

With the Satellite, I hope to capture some of the excellent 3D vibe of the 5088 with a smaller and cheaper format. We'll see!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search