The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Dynaudio DBM50 Desktop Monitor
Old 20th March 2012
Gear Nut

Dynaudio DBM50 Desktop Monitor

From the handcrafted Dynaudio drivers to its beautiful exterior, DBM50 is specifically engineered to perfectly reproduce your desktop mix and truly represents a revolutionary new angle in desktop mixing.

From the innovative wave guide around the tweeter to the optional addition of the level controller that never compromises the allimportant level interrelationship between speakers, DBM50 is the perfect partner in situations where the only thing that counts is perfection.

DBM50 comes with the option of adding a sleek controller that puts you squarely at the helm of volume control in any situation.

Set and control levels with precision and ease, completely independent of your computer or workstation. The DBM50 controller provides perfect tracking, which guarantees spot-on stereo imaging with unprecedented precision

Features

Front baffel tilt for perfect desktop placement
Smooth HF waveguide securing optimal near field sweet-spot
Handcrafted drivers, legendary Dynaudio craftmanship
Perfect tracking Volume tabletop remote control (optional)
117dB SPL Peak power
1" High resolution soft dome tweeter
7.5" woofer extended excursion
2 channel 50 watt RMS power amplifier
Frequency response: 46Hz to 21kHz
HF, MF and LF room filtering
HP filtering for optimal subwoofer adaption
Auto standby mode
XLR balanced and single ended RCA input connectivity
Old 20th March 2012
Lives for gear

Digidem you're on Fire !!!
Old 20th March 2012
So the its "fire" up the signal in to the roof... That would be funky not for persones like me with a big ass openstructure basstrap like me ....
Old 20th March 2012
New cabinet with waveguide. I bet this sound lovelly, but I think the most wanted Dynaudio product ever is a nearfield monitor with Esotar drivers no matter how expensive.
Old 20th March 2012
Fabulous.
Price?
Old 20th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso View Post
Fabulous.
Price?
This is generally when the fun stops ...
Old 21st March 2012
Old 21st March 2012
Lives for gear

when ?
Old 21st March 2012
Lives for gear

i'm just thinking that with thiri inclinasion they will not seat near my adam without me being out of the listening spot !! (replacing my genelecs ..)

Old 27th June 2012
Has anyone heard these?
Old 29th June 2012
Old 19th July 2012
Old 19th July 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by klapaucius View Post
Has anyone heard these?
Yes, just set a pair up for a friend at his small studio.

I use the Air6 for nearfield, and these have a somewhat similar sound to them...not as fast an precise as the Air6, but gave me a familiar feeling right away.

There's plenty of low end (lowered the LF) and gave the HF a lift to make them fit his room and placement.
He was very pleased with the way they sound...and they made his Genelec's sound kinda weird in comparison.

Overall a very good first impression.
Old 26th September 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeezo View Post
i'm just thinking that with thiri inclinasion they will not seat near my adam without me being out of the listening spot !! (replacing my genelecs ..)

What controller is that in the middle?
Old 30th September 2012
Lives for gear

VS 700 C (roland) (best controller you can find after smart Tango)

I listened to those in a shop and they go pretty low ....sweet spot is the key and sound change drastically when you move out of it ....excellent build qulity as usual on dynaudio monitors .....but i found them to big ( problem on a desktop) and i think they will pause relection/vibration issue ....

i will go with some small genelec + sub instead of that if i had to make the choice...

again this was in a shop so if i had tested it in my room , this could be the opposite ..
Old 27th October 2012
Lives for gear

So these are better than the bm5mk2?
Old 28th October 2012
Lives for gear

anyone?
Old 14th November 2012
R3k
Gear maniac

Hey.

I received a pair about 6 weeks ago, and are quite happy with their sound. I work daily with Air 6's, and Air 15's, and have experience with BM6a Mk 1's, BM6a Mk 2's, and BM5a Mk 1's..pretty much all our production team use Dynaudio.

Nothing I have used so far get near the Air series, amazing monitors.

I sent back my pair of BM6a Mk2's..was not happy with them at all.

Somehow the DBM50s seen nicer to me than the 6A Mk2's..perhaps a little fuller, hard to put my finger on it though. Im happy with the sound, response, aesthetics, and price. I think most people will be quite happy with them, so i'd give my thumbs up.

However, the bad- the power cable is just a figure of 8 cable, so no ground. I don't have any 60hz ground issues though.

However I do have a high frequency buzz from both tweeters..though not all the time. The speakers sit about 6 inches away from my 27'' iMac (Im using them in a small editing room) so that may be it, or perhaps Its caused by the tangle of power and audio cables behind the desk (table).

Im planning on cleaning up the workspace however, getting some power conditioning happening, and putting the speakers on stands a couple of feet back..hopefully this will sort the issue.

Im not a fan of placing monitors horizontally, which is what you're recommended to do if they're on stands- because placed vertically, the slant of the monitors would mean the tweeters are aiming over your head. Still, Im going to try to keep them vertical on stands with so Mopads placed under them so the angle is facing down some, but this is little Frankenstein, and some would say it would have been better to get non slanted monitors in the 1st place.. So yeah, their is a slight downside to placing them anywhere except close on your desk.

Also, the standby mode is also not as sensitive as I would like, and often has me punching up the volume of my interface for a moment to get them out of standby.

However even with this placement, if I had to go back and buy this particular model again I would….if I get rid of the tweeter buzz that is. If I can't fix it,ll repost to this thread and let you know.

@ gizeh12

Better than the BM5a Mk2? Not sure as I haven't used those, but have used the Mk1's. Its hard to tell, I haven't set them both up in the same space. But I guess that says something, Im sure its not night and day between them, and I'd have to get them next to each other to compare.
Cheers.
Old 19th November 2012
Gear Maniac

Just got a pair of both the DBM-50 and the BM5a mk2 to compare and spend 2-3 hours listening to them. I would mainly use them for detailed tech/house and it would replace my 15 year old Mackie HR824 mk1. Attached you will find a picture of the setup. It's not a treated room, and the setup is not ideal, but it should work well enough to highlight the differences of both speakers. I've moved my head and speakers around enough to separate what effects come from the speakers and what from the room.

These are my first impressions:

- DBM-50 has less bass. There was a techno track (Silver surfer-Stimming) with a bassmelody of 2 sinetones around 50Hz, which I could clearly follow on my spectrum analyzer. On the BM5 I could hear the melody, on the DBM I couldn't. Working around G as a fundamental (49,0Hz) is pretty common in my style, as it gives a solid response in the clubs. This frequency was lacking on the DBM50. Raising the bass on the back of the DBM50 didn't help, it just wasn't there. The question is of course whether what I hear on the BM5 is tight bass, or just some flabby attempt at extending the low end range. The port of the BM5 is tuned at 55Hz (the DBM50 port is tuned at 39Hz), so that might be the reason. Could anyone please explain to me what port tuning does to bass response?

- The BM5 sound more direct in the highs. Especially ride cymbals come out much more detailed (example: New grass - Talk Talk). Don't yet know whether they are too crisp.

- The DBM50 sound more forward around 125-150Hz (more punch) and around 1-2KHz (more presence). I could easily emulate the low-mid sound of the DBM50 by boosting the BM5 1,5dB @ 125Hz with an EQ.

- The BM5 sound more 3D, as if I could 'swim around' in the track. It sounded more 'reverby' (does that make sense?) than the DBM50. On some very detailed tracks this was nice (Music for 18 musicians - Steve Reich), on some tracks (The woods - Daughter), it was almost a bit too much, as if the track fell apart. Vocals sound fabulous on the DBM50, very present. And any mix problems in that region (Our way to fall - Yo la tengo) will be much clearer on the DBM50. I think the BM5 would allow you to place sounds more specifically and there's more front-back separation. With the DBM50 it sounds like all the sounds are on the same distance, as if they were on a line between the left and right speaker.

- It's really easy to work around the slanted design of the DBM50 when placing them on stands vertically. Just put something under the back of them (see attached picture). I don't know whether Dynaudio would recommend it, but I can't really think of any problems.

I need to do some more listening tomorrow, especially on higher volumes. I'll add more if needed. Overall, I would say the DBM50 might work better if you're into acoustic/rock/vocal driven music (for the forward mids), BM5 might work better for electronic music (for the bass and highs).
Attached Thumbnails
Dynaudio DBM50 Desktop Monitor-speakers.jpg  
Old 20th November 2012
Gear Addict
I am interested in a comparison between these and the Neumann monitors.
Anyone?
Old 23rd November 2012
Gear Addict
It seems that you need not bother doing a comparison. After all, who would purchase a pair of speakers from a company which doesn't even issue frequency response graphs for most of its products.

I just received an email from Dynaudio stating the above.
Old 25th November 2012
Gear Maniac

I did some more tests. I've mixed with the Bm5a's the last couple of days and I really like them for what I do (detailed tech-house). Yesterday I tried the DBM50s again, but it's clear to me now they don't go as low. When I play sine waves at 70Hz, the speakers sound equally loud. But when I lower the frequency, at around 60Hz, the DBM50s are substantially lower in volume than the BM5a's. Below that, the DBM50s become almost inaudible. This can't be because of my room, because I also hear it when I'm 20cm from the speakers, and I know my room well enough to be pretty sure that there's not a null there at that frequency. (And btw, it also happens when I move the speaker)

Attached you'll find ARC tests for both speakers. This is not scientific, but it gives a good idea of what's going on. Watch the orange line, that's the measurement of speakers + room. I know I have LF problems around 60-70Hz (dip), 130Hz (bump) and 40Hz (small bump). But as you can see, the DBM50s start to roll off quickly below 70-80Hz. It almost seems as if the speakers are rolled off for use with a sub, but all the switches on the back are set to 'flat'.

A colleague of mine praised the DBM50s for having solid bass, so it could be my pair is faulty. I sent Dynaudio a mail about it. Curious to hear what they say about it, because the mids on the DBM50s are really nice.
Attached Thumbnails
Dynaudio DBM50 Desktop Monitor-bm5a-mk2.jpg   Dynaudio DBM50 Desktop Monitor-dbm50.jpg  
Old 26th November 2012
Gear Addict
Thanks for your report. I will look into that room correction system.
Old 27th November 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mossie23 View Post
I did some more tests. I've mixed with the Bm5a's the last couple of days and I really like them for what I do (detailed tech-house). Yesterday I tried the DBM50s again, but it's clear to me now they don't go as low. When I play sine waves at 70Hz, the speakers sound equally loud. But when I lower the frequency, at around 60Hz, the DBM50s are substantially lower in volume than the BM5a's. Below that, the DBM50s become almost inaudible. This can't be because of my room, because I also hear it when I'm 20cm from the speakers, and I know my room well enough to be pretty sure that there's not a null there at that frequency. (And btw, it also happens when I move the speaker)

Attached you'll find ARC tests for both speakers. This is not scientific, but it gives a good idea of what's going on. Watch the orange line, that's the measurement of speakers + room. I know I have LF problems around 60-70Hz (dip), 130Hz (bump) and 40Hz (small bump). But as you can see, the DBM50s start to roll off quickly below 70-80Hz. It almost seems as if the speakers are rolled off for use with a sub, but all the switches on the back are set to 'flat'.

A colleague of mine praised the DBM50s for having solid bass, so it could be my pair is faulty. I sent Dynaudio a mail about it. Curious to hear what they say about it, because the mids on the DBM50s are really nice.
That smell (looking at ARC curve) like bass cancelation , some with your room , i suspect your desk ...have you decoupleded the monitors from your desk ..
Old 27th November 2012
Lives for gear

i just saw your pic ...dude the layout is less than optimal to judge at least , compare them at the same place !!
Old 27th November 2012
Gear Maniac

Quote:
That smell (looking at ARC curve) like bass cancelation , some with your room , i suspect your desk ...have you decoupleded the monitors from your desk ..
They're on stands. I like to think that after 8 years, I know my room well enough to tell what comes from the speakers and what from the room. Those ARC curves you see is with the speakers in my mixing room, in similar position (BM5a's on stands, DBM50 on desktop). I really think the DBM50s just lack LF. The picture you see is not my mixing room, it's just a room that I used to make my first superquick setup. No need to tell me it's crap, I know But I got similar results in my mixing room with proper setup.

And today I got a mail from Dynaudio:

++++

I tested to some units here and can confirm what you experienced. The very low end is not very strong in DBM50. If you are into electronic music and need lots of bass, BM5A MKII will do a better job, or the ad-junction of a sub could solve that problem

++++

I wouldn't consider 50Hz the 'very low end', but it seems my DBM50s were not faulty. They just don't go that low. So I'm keeping the BM5a's, with which I'm really happy.
Old 27th November 2012
Lives for gear

if so , a pair of Genelec 8020 would have done the same ....

until we don't see the set up ...we cannot really help here ...
Old 27th November 2012
Gear Maniac

Quote:
if so , a pair of Genelec 8020 would have done the same ....

until we don't see the set up ...we cannot really help here ...
Thanks, but I don't need help. I know the problems in my room very well, and know how to fix them. I've made it 50% less bad with diy treatment and let ARC do the rest. That's how far my budget & willingness to change my house goes.

It's just that some people told me the DBM50s were just like the BM5a's but better. So what I heard didn't make sense. I really tried to eliminate the possibility of the room causing bass cancellation. I've had the DBM50s at least in 6 different spots all over my house. Held my head close to them, far away from them and placed them in different ways: On the side, desktop, tilted. Everywhere I heard the same: No bass.

So you can read my comments as some sort of review.
Old 27th November 2012
Gear Addict
If that is true, then Neumann it is!
Old 27th November 2012
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Eslam View Post
If that is true, then Neumann it is!
Don't take my word for it, but I've tried in many ways to verify that what I heard was truly the DBM50 and not my room playing tricks on me. And even now that Dynaudio has confirmed what I heard, I'm still a bit confused. I mean... they said the very lows were a bit weak on the DBM50s. But 55Hz isn't 'very low', is it? I just wish somebody who has mixed on these would chime in and tell us how much LF they hear from the DBM50s.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search