The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Dynaudio DBM50 Desktop Monitor
Old 28th November 2012 | Show parent
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mossie23 View Post
Thanks, but I don't need help. I know the problems in my room very well, and know how to fix them. I've made it 50% less bad with diy treatment and let ARC do the rest. That's how far my budget & willingness to change my house goes.

It's just that some people told me the DBM50s were just like the BM5a's but better. So what I heard didn't make sense. I really tried to eliminate the possibility of the room causing bass cancellation. I've had the DBM50s at least in 6 different spots all over my house. Held my head close to them, far away from them and placed them in different ways: On the side, desktop, tilted. Everywhere I heard the same: No bass.

So you can read my comments as some sort of review.
Mossie , be cool and not so defensive , i thought you were wondering if the units were defective ...and all my remarks were to eliminate one by one the possibilities .....

Show replies
Old 28th November 2012 | Show parent
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Don't take my word for it, but I've tried in many ways to verify that what I heard was truly the DBM50 and not my room playing tricks on me. And even now that Dynaudio has confirmed what I heard, I'm still a bit confused. I mean... they said the very lows were a bit weak on the DBM50s. But 55Hz isn't 'very low', is it? I just wish somebody who has mixed on these would chime in and tell us how much LF they hear from the DBM50s.
It seems the Neumanns go significantly lower frequency-wise and are significantly smaller in size. Both points in favour of my particular requirements. Got to get rid of these nasty KRK Rokits I'm now listening to.

I already own a pair of world-class full-range monitors so I don't need too much bass, but still...
Show replies
Old 29th November 2012 | Show parent
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Eslam View Post
It seems the Neumanns go significantly lower frequency-wise and are significantly smaller in size. Both points in favour of my particular requirements. Got to get rid of these nasty KRK Rokits I'm now listening to.

I already own a pair of world-class full-range monitors so I don't need too much bass, but still...
Don't forget to listen before you buy... on paper, the DBM50's go down to 46Hz, even lower than the BM5a's Mk2
Show replies
Old 29th November 2012 | Show parent
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Don't forget to listen before you buy... on paper, the DBM50's go down to 46Hz, even lower than the BM5a's Mk2
Unfortunately, residing in Manila would negate that.
Show replies
Old 20th December 2012
Gear Addict

Dynaudio just got back to me saying my DBM50s were faulty after all. They should go down to 46Hz +/- 3 dB. The person I talked to before turned out not to be from Dynaudio, but from TC Electronics, their distributor.

So now I'm reconsidering the DBM-50s. Is there anyone who has worked with them and can confirm or counter what I heard (nothing below 65Hz)?
Show replies
Old 22nd December 2012 | Show parent
R3k
Gear Maniac

Quote:
A colleague of mine praised the DBM50s for having solid bass, so it could be my pair is faulty. I sent Dynaudio a mail about it. Curious to hear what they say about it, because the mids on the DBM50s are really nice.
After using mine for a while longer in this far from ideal room- Id have to second this. Not as much low bass as Im used to from running other Dynaudio's. Especially as I was expecting lots of low end as per the 1st experience on this thread.

This became more apparent after I wrote my 1st message in this thread- as I now have them off the desk and further back on stands-low bass response much diminished.

Its nice to have someone with the same opinion in this, as I was wondering it it was wholly being caused by the room or some other overlooked factor.

I do a bunch of electronic stuff, as a frame of reference.
Show replies
Old 27th December 2012
thanks for the info mossie, I'm looking for bm5a mk2 reviews and opinions, I have KRK V6 s2 an they are a nightmare when trying to mix the mid-high range, so much forwardness in these frequencies, really hard to get the voice nice suited in hiphop-rnb music, also when mixing dubstep with lots of synths. I also have arc2. I'm thinking between bm5a mk2 and the hifi towers dm3/7 (searching through internet, Dynaudio seems to be the same type of character both in hifi and studio). Bests.
Show replies
Old 20th March 2013 | Show parent
Deleted User #43854
Quote:
Thanks, but I don't need help. I know the problems in my room very well, and know how to fix them. I've made it 50% less bad with diy treatment and let ARC do the rest. That's how far my budget & willingness to change my house goes.

It's just that some people told me the DBM50s were just like the BM5a's but better. So what I heard didn't make sense. I really tried to eliminate the possibility of the room causing bass cancellation. I've had the DBM50s at least in 6 different spots all over my house. Held my head close to them, far away from them and placed them in different ways: On the side, desktop, tilted. Everywhere I heard the same: No bass.

So you can read my comments as some sort of review.
I recorded and mixed an album recently with the DBM50, they have tremendous bass and subs, much more than my Adams P11.
Show replies
Old 23rd May 2013 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Sound View Post
I recorded and mixed an album recently with the DBM50

could you please share some links if possible, would love to hear stuff done on these monitors...
thanks!
Show replies
Old 16th July 2013
yes will be great.
Show replies
Old 16th July 2013 | Show parent
Deleted User #43854
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhil Suresh View Post
could you please share some links if possible, would love to hear stuff done on these monitors...
thanks!
I'll post something as soon as it is released, it's an original score. One thing I would say is that putting this boxes on a table is as much of a problem as with any other speaker, meaning there's a huge boominess (100/200 hz) when doing that compared to putting them on stands, so even though they might be "better" suited for this application than others, it's still dangerous to put speakers directly on a table.
Show replies
Old 28th January 2014 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Eslam View Post
I am interested in a comparison between these and the Neumann monitors.
Anyone?
I personally like the Neumann KH120A better. I have compared them side by side.
Though, the DB50 is not a bad monitor at all, but KH120A is better.

Cheers!
Show replies
📝 Reply