The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
waves V9 released Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 19th March 2012
Gear interested

waves V9 released

Old 19th March 2012
Lives for gear

Sent from my LG-P925 using Gearslutz App
Old 19th March 2012
Lives for gear

$200 wup !!!
Old 19th March 2012
Lives for gear

i take my ilok from my home to the studio often, so i would have to WUP two of my products to get them all on this new licence thingy, and then take another USB key to/from the studio. No thanks, not right now
Old 19th March 2012
Lives for gear

Ditched Pro Tools. Now ditching Waves iLok. Bye bye iLok! wooohoooo! Freedom from the dongle! True dongle-free mobile computing has been achieved.
Old 19th March 2012
Lives for gear

So you don't have other ilok brands cool for you .....My softube , VCC , Motu are still here , what am i supposed to do ? buy 2 instances of my bundles to be able to move from studio to lappy with another usb dongle ?

Ffffffffffff

Please guyz tell me that we can still buy V8 versions of plugins ....
Old 19th March 2012
Lives for gear

finally
Old 19th March 2012
Lives for gear

I can appreciate the new system, it looks nice, but for me it's a pita... I move between 2 systems and have numerous other ilok plugs. V9 actually forces me to use either 2 "iloks" or activate/deactivate every single time I start my computer...

the "force a licenses form an unconnected usb-stick" in case of theft or loss is an interesting loophole though.

Put the license on a USB stick on my MBP, stick it in my Imac. Open WLC on my MBP again. Force the license from the usb stick and license it to the internal MBP drive. As long as I don't install (or even just open?) WLC on my Imac it can't force the license from the USB stick.

Do you have to install WLC for a connected usb stick to work? And if so, does the WLC have to be open at all times to use the license? That would kill the above scenario. But even if you have to install it, but it works without ever opening WLC, that should make it work.

I have no intention to endorse piracy I never use both systems at the same time. I'm merely trying to work out an elegant solution for my situation. I only have 4 waves plugs that I want to keep using...

EDIT:

Should work. Watched the vid again to read the popup box that comes up when you force the license from an unconnected usb-stick. The "penalty" is that you can only do it once per year per license. But that time automatically resets when you reconnect the "lost/stolen" usb-stick. So no harm is done cause you didn't actually lose it. You don't have to install WLC for a connected usb-stick to work. So unless Waves can pull some genuine voodoo, the license will still be there...

Again, I hope I don't breach forum rules with this cause I realize it could be used to break the EULA by others...
Old 19th March 2012
Lives for gear

Can the new licenses reside on either my iLok2 or my synchrosoft key, or do I need to get a third dongle just for Waves now?
Old 19th March 2012
Gear nut

Quote:
Please guyz tell me that we can still buy V8 versions of plugins ....
You buy the plug-ins, you download the v8 software, I'm not sure why you are confused about this. You can download v8, v7, v6, v5 and v4. Whichever version is compatible with your DAW and OS. One thing you won't get is v8 versions of plug-ins new to v9 (NLS, for example).

And v8, since it was designed to use the iLok CP, will still use the iLok CP.

Any other concerns?
Old 19th March 2012
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by World Studios View Post
Can the new licenses reside on either my iLok2 or my synchrosoft key, or do I need to get a third dongle just for Waves now?
For v9 you either download the authorization to your HD or to an USB stick. v9 doesn't know what an iLok is. V8 or below still uses the iLok CP.

So for v9 you will need a 3rd dongle, if you go the USB route.
Old 19th March 2012
Lives for gear

You and me both know the iLok and the syncrosoft key is a USB stick. I sure can see a world where Waves 9 would see that too. A perfect world. :-)
Old 19th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
You and me both know the iLok and the syncrosoft key is a USB stick. I sure can see a world where Waves 9 would see that too. A perfect world. :-)
totally. It would be nice if you could still get v9 on iLok. Who's it going to hurt?
Old 19th March 2012
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by weezul View Post
totally. It would be nice if you could still get v9 on iLok. Who's it going to hurt?
Sorry if I missed it, but has anyone tried this?
Old 19th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by weezul View Post
Who's it going to hurt?
Waves.

For myriad reasons (financial), Waves is trying to sever their relationship with iLok. This is a direction many companies are heading.

The iLok age may be ending soon. Time will tell, I guess.

- c
Old 19th March 2012
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gear Geek View Post
Sorry if I missed it, but has anyone tried this?
Just thought about it. iLok does not show up as a normal flash drive to the OS so that would prevent it's use with the new waves.
Old 19th March 2012
Gear Addict

For those who have already taken the plunge... what happens to the Waves licenses on your iLok when you upgrade? Do they expire? Do they disappear?

I have Mercury and I hope I'm not left with all those licenses being useless and taking up space...
Old 19th March 2012
Lives for gear

The more sad is that ....if no ilok support , i stick with 8 ...but cannot buy any more waves plugins .....until i take the plugge or just stop using waves ....a chance i didn't bought the mercury in DEC , was really about to , even few dayz ago ....
Old 19th March 2012
Lives for gear

Cool! Except.. No new plugs...
Old 19th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle muscles View Post
Cool! Except.. No new plugs...
yep i had my eyes on the new console emu ....
Old 19th March 2012
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by MannyTheAvatar View Post
For those who have already taken the plunge... what happens to the Waves licenses on your iLok when you upgrade? Do they expire? Do they disappear?

I have Mercury and I hope I'm not left with all those licenses being useless and taking up space...
I would like to know that too...
Old 19th March 2012

Old 19th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyBelmont View Post
There's already a thread about this here:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/new-p...64-bit-v9.html

Anyway, I will re-iterate here... Owners of Gold, Platinum, Diamond and Horizon get FREE plugins with V9!

I own the Diamond bundle. The GTR software I won't be using (already have too many alternatives) and the OneKnob plug-ins are not exactly 'must haves' I'm looking for. So the extra plug-ins are a bit underwhelming...Also getting a bit fed up with the idea that Waves decides for me what plug-ins they choose to include in their bundles.

So I think it's a bit of disgrace to have to pay $ 200 for plug-ins going 64bits, when every other company I know, offered them without additional cost.

Because I have other plug-ins that still use iLok I'm also forced to use an extra USB device for authorization's sake.
Old 19th March 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
From a technical point of view: Yes, iLok and Syncrosoft are USB keys, because they have a plug which conforms to the USB standard. But they are not recognized as flash drives from neither operating system, because due to their design, they can only be accessed with special drivers by special software.

This makes it impossible to use iLok or Syncrosoft as a standard storage device for additional stuff. As a result, Waves WLC cannot write (access) these keys and put the new license file onto them.
Old 19th March 2012
maq
Gear Nut

Quote:
I played around a bit with the Licenser today. Pretty straight forward, your computer's os drive will show up as an available license destination, no need for usb, simply assign licenses to it and you're done.
Another great feature is the ability to recover licenses from lost or failed devices.

Frankly, I'm surprised at the reaction to Waves eliminating the need for iloks (granted we still need them for other brands). I expected more dancing in the streets and less wringing of hands
Old 19th March 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVi View Post
So I think it's a bit of disgrace to have to pay $ 200 for plug-ins going 64bits, when every other company I know, offered them without additional cost.
Not to disappoint you, but we are far from "every other company" offering 64-bit for free. There are those who charge a fee, some others have pushed out a new major versions which you need to buy if you like to move to 64-bit. Antares are still thinking about the price tag, once they are ready.

You should also note that V9 does include new plugins for some bundles plus many enhancements which probably make it worth a paid upgrade.
Old 19th March 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVi View Post
A lot of other companies charged for their 64 bit updates.

As far as I know, none of them gave people ANY free plugins (regardless of how overwhelming or underwhelming they are) as part of those updates.
Old 19th March 2012
Lives for gear

So does this update finally include 64 bit support?
Old 19th March 2012
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by maq View Post
Pretty straight forward, your computer's os drive will show up as an available license destination, no need for usb, simply assign licenses to it and you're done ... Frankly, I'm surprised at the reaction to Waves eliminating the need for iloks
Well, what other users were referring to is the rather typical for some, as it is for myself, situation when we need to frequently move our projects back and forth between the main editing desktop workstation and the laptop that is taken home or elsewhere for drafting or whatever work. This is the situation when we do need the USB and licensing to the OS drive is hardly an option. One of the two laptop USB slots is taken with iLok anyway, since it holds PT, Softube, and other important stuff that is not going anywhere. So now we need to use the other one just for Waves (and good for those of us who don't also have eLicenser plugs in the system). Basically, Waves would do good if they came up with a licensing system allowing, say, two authorizations -- that would be a working solution. For now, all of a sudden, I'm not sure I'm so excited about upgrading to ver.9. Will probably keep using ver.8 as long as it works, and then drop Waves altogether (unless everybody get rid of iLok and move to their own USB sticks, at which point I'll just buy an IK Multimedia app for iPad and retire... ;-)
Old 19th March 2012
Gear Head

I really don't understand - what was so terrible about iLok? Now everyone is going off and writing their own protection system independently - which means more opportunities for things to get messed up somewhere. Like everytime a hard drive crashes and I have to contect FXPansion to get my freaking BFD going again, etc. It was so nice to have everything on one or two keys - assuming iLok and Syncrosoft were splitting them up.

Now I need an ADDITIONAL key - a USB drive to hold the Waves licenses. So now I'm up to three! How is this progress?!

I'm stoked about the 64 bit support and the plugs they've released in the last 5 years or so, but SO disappointed they are ditching iLok. Same goes for SPL and that whole Plugin Alliance. It troubles me.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search