The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Fireface 400 Audio Interfaces
Old 7th October 2006
Here for the gear

hi i was wondering if you can bypass the preamps on the fireface 400 completely and how one should get about to it.
Old 10th October 2006
Lives for gear

I pull the trigger on a fireface 400 thinking it uses the same converters as the fireface 800. But according to the spec sheets it ain't
It's not all bad though as the AD dynamic range is better by 1db but the other measurement seems inferior to the 800... I know it doesn't mean it sounds not as good as the ff 800 but I would like to know if someone tried both units and if you noticed any audible differences... the ff400 seems to be a different product altogether rather rather than a ff800 with less I/O
I haven't received mine yet and we have a ff800 already in our studio.
I hope someone from RME can chime in and explain the difference between these 2 products!
Old 10th October 2006
Gear Nut

i think the differences are going to come down to your ears.

i have a ff800 and am going to buy the 400 within the month, so i was trying to find every difference between the two to justify the purchase in my head (the initial reason i looked at the 400 is that i need a smaller unit than the ff800 to compliment my ff800) the only answer RME can give you about the difference in quality is (use your ears)

that sounds like a non answer...but the differences are ridiculously small. 1 db here and there....that MAY afffect the overall sound..but how? paper won't say. you already bought the 400...so just wait and see. if you don't like it...you can sell it to me. ;-)
Old 10th October 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surreal View Post
i think the differences are going to come down to your ears.

i have a ff800 and am going to buy the 400 within the month, so i was trying to find every difference between the two to justify the purchase in my head (the initial reason i looked at the 400 is that i need a smaller unit than the ff800 to compliment my ff800) the only answer RME can give you about the difference in quality is (use your ears)

that sounds like a non answer...but the differences are ridiculously small. 1 db here and there....that MAY afffect the overall sound..but how? paper won't say. you already bought the 400...so just wait and see. if you don't like it...you can sell it to me. ;-)
yeah you're right, I just hope it sounds as good as the ff800 as it's a damn fine unit!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search