The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Fireface 400 Audio Interfaces
Old 5th August 2006
Gear Maniac

ok...but that's anotha story...we need reports on the FF400 ...
Old 7th August 2006
Here for the gear

I purchased a FF400 last week and did some recording on Saturday. I'm coming from an M-Audio Audiophile USB, so this is a big step up.

Installation was very easy, just a matter of having the driver CD in, and plugging the firewire cable in.

The lack of a power switch is a little annoying, as you have to physically unplug the unit to turn it off. I haven't tried bus power yet. The MIDI breakout cable is another thing to be aware of.

The first time I used it, it was good. The second time I used it, I was getting weird noises coming through the monitors. On the RME Newsgroups, I read that other people had a similar problem. So I updated the drivers and firmware, and it seemed fine after that.

TotalMix takes a little getting used to, but it's quite flexible. It would be nice to have more knobs on the device itself rather than controlling everything through software. Having used a MOTU 828, a more usuable LCD screen would be appreciated as well.

The device obviously sounds a whole lot better than what I was using before. Using a Rode NTK, vocals come in very clean, and I find I'm already using less EQ and compression. I had borrowed a MOTU 828 over the past few weeks, and when comparing the vocal tracks from each, they were quite similar. The D/A is really nice, and playing a piano through the interface almost makes it seem like you're in a concert hall.

So I'll give preliminary thumbs up.
Old 7th August 2006
Gear Addict

Thanks for the review! Yeah, I've read other people talking about weird noises as well. Hopefully it's as simple as updating the driver.

Anyone had a chance to compare it to a FF800 yet?

I like the idea of it being bus powered...how many dongles and bus powered devices can a system take, I wonder?
Old 9th August 2006
Gear Maniac

I read on the RME newsgroup that some guy is on his 3rd FF400 already in 3 days and even the 3rd device is defective...

I think I stay away untill whatever issues get adressed first.
Old 10th August 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by BorrelNote View Post
I read on the RME newsgroup that some guy is on his 3rd FF400 already in 3 days and even the 3rd device is defective...
If I may... The third one works fine now, the customer just wasn't able to update the firmware on his computer. It worked on his dealer's PC, and now it's working fine on his. Not sure what was going on with the first two, but there's a certain chance of some compatibility issue with his specific setup.
There is no general reliability issue with the Fireface 400.

Regards,
Daniel Fuchs
RME
Old 10th August 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RME Support View Post
If I may... The third one works fine now, the customer just wasn't able to update the firmware on his computer. It worked on his dealer's PC, and now it's working fine on his. Not sure what was going on with the first two, but there's a certain chance of some compatibility issue with his specific setup.
There is no general reliability issue with the Fireface 400.

Regards,
Daniel Fuchs
RME
It has happened like wise with the FF800 on my PC.
I couldn´t upgrade the firmware but it worked allrigth on a PC of a friend of mine.
I just had to get a new FW controller.

Bye.
Old 14th August 2006
Gear Nut

YES, i may actually get an answer to this burning question

Hello Daniel,

thank you for all the info you've posted here, i didnt know about the newsgroup before this.

but i have a question about the shared driver setup you have with the 800 and the 400.

i own an 800, and i have no complaints other than the size of the thing. i am somewhat youthful and, as such, thought i could gig with it. well, after 2 gigs i was pretty tired of the thing. i was bummed that i might have to buy a portable interface to use at shows because i imporvise live and wanted that recorded at the same quality as my home recordings. honestly, i am pretty much covered by the 800s IO so i really wanted a barebones box with high quality. then i hear about the 400.

i would appreciate knowing all (or most) of the advatages of the shared driver setup. i know that there wont be a global mixer because totalmix is connected to hardware. that is fine with me. i THINK one driver will lend stability to the system, but it is more of a common sense belief than one grounded in understanding why this would be.

any other selling points on the interoperability would be greatly appreciated...

it's funny, because i am trying to talk myself INTO spending 1000 dollars instead of 300.
Old 14th August 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Regards,
Daniel Fuchs
RME
Hey Daniel, do you know if it will be possible to mod the preamps on the FF800 to bring them up to FF400 specs?

Thanks

matt
Old 14th August 2006
Gear Nut

and how much does the FF400 weigh?
Old 16th August 2006
Gear Nut

awww.

nothin?
Old 16th August 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surreal View Post
and how much does the FF400 weigh?
Oh, about *yay* high...
Old 16th August 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surreal View Post
awww.

nothin?
He seems to only be interested in damage control.

Maybe we should start our questions by saying something like "is it true that users are reporting their 400fs spontaneously bursting into flames? And by the way... when not in flames, how much do these things weigh?"

heh

-matt
Old 16th August 2006
Gear Nut

maybe he got tired.

dag

i really want to buy something. really. i wouldnt mind if it was the fireface (although if it wasnt, i would save a bit)
Old 16th August 2006
Gear Nut

just in case

I heard that bursting into flame thing, but that doesnt scare me nearly as much as the rumor that it is posessed by the soul of a n orphan. really, if you turn the gain on the second preamp all the way up and wear headphones, you can hear your orphan wailing penance.

how much does it weigh? (without the soul)
Old 16th August 2006
Here for the gear

5 pounds in the box.

Soul sold seperately.
Old 16th August 2006
Gear Nut

THANK YOU

would you be able to sell me on using 'matched interfaces' for lack of a better term?

i just want to be sure i am not foolishly convincing myself that i will gain stability or ease of use or something when i could save myself a good deal of money by not buying up so far.
Old 16th August 2006
Here for the gear

It sounds like you're already sold and just want some reassurance. If you're already happy with the FF800 and it's working great, you can certainly add a FF400 to the setup pretty simply. I tried it a couple days ago, no extensive testing, just tried it to see how it worked. No hassles, no surprises, just make sure you have a new driver installed.

One thing to consider: the Fireface800 has 2 FW800 ports and 1 FW400 port. The Fireface400 has 2 FW400 ports. You can see that this means you'll need to run the Fireface800 over FW800, to free up the FW400 port for daisychaining. Or you can use the Fireface400 as the master unit and daisychain the Fireface800 to it with a FW400 cable (you'll have less firewire bandwidth available this way, so it may not work at high samplerates with all channels active).

I didn't try it with 2 discrete firewire connections into the computer, that should work fine as well, but you'll have to sync the Firefaces.

Hope that helps.
Old 16th August 2006
Gear Nut

Thank you again, i really did just want some reassurance. i think i will go

computer --FW800-->FireFace F800--FW400-->FireFace 400 whenever i need to.

Lovely.
Old 16th August 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
5 pounds in the box.

Soul sold seperately.
FAKE DAMAGE CONTROL ISSUE:

Hey Jeff - I heard that a few units (not the ones exploding into flames) with mismatched impedence are applying the soul of Marvin Gaye to undeseverving pop star wannabes, stalling otherwise decent projects with cease and desist orders and reams of legal paperwork. True?

REAL ISSUE:

If you're still around, could you answer the question I've asked a number of times in this thread? I would appreciate it.

BTW, I am an RME fan and frequently recommend your products. Did so yesterday! So if the answer to my question is something like "perhaps, but we're not sure" or "absolutely not" that's fine, but it'd be awfully nice of one you guys to respond to a question without having to dress it up as damage control!

Thanks,

Matt
Old 16th August 2006
Gear Maniac

Hi,
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattiMattMatt View Post
Hey Daniel, do you know if it will be possible to mod the preamps on the FF800 to bring them up to FF400 specs?
Not that I know of... But the difference is not that big anyhow...

Regards,
Daniel Fuchs
RME
Old 16th August 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
Hi,

Regards,
Daniel Fuchs
RME
And how big is the difference between the sound of the converters between the 400 and 800?
Old 17th August 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwall View Post
And how big is the difference between the sound of the converters between the 400 and 800?
In percent? Or how does one measure "sound quality"? You can compare the specs on the website, but that won't tell you how much of a difference your ears would perceive.

Regards,
Daniel Fuchs
RME
Old 17th August 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
In percent? Or how does one measure "sound quality"? You can compare the specs on the website, but that won't tell you how much of a difference your ears would perceive.

Regards,
Daniel Fuchs
RME
To put it another way: I'm trying to decide if I want to get the 800 or 400. The 400 has enough I/O's for me, but I've run into a lot of people saying that based on the spec's the converters won't sound as good as the 800. I'm just asking if that's really the case or if it's pretty much in the same league. I'm currently using a TMD1000, by the way, so whatever I get, that will be my reference point. Oh, and preamps aren't a deciding factor for me.

Thanks,
-Dan
Old 17th August 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hi,

Regards,
Daniel Fuchs
RME
Thanks!

-matt
Old 25th August 2006
Lives for gear

Daniel,

A technical question if I may.

Is the non-overclocked performance drawback highlighted by the Blofelds DSP test related to a native firewire protocol issue, or is it something that can be/is being addressed by RME.

To firewire, or not to firewire that is the question.
Old 27th August 2006
Gear Nut

Question

Doesn't the old RME Multiface get better latency 1.5-3ms since they were using a dedicated PCI or PCMCIA RME hammerfall card? The Fireface 400 looks cool, but if it's going to have higher latency on a Dell Latitude D820 laptop, maybe I should keep my old RME Multiface? Daniel, will my Dell Latitude D820 laptop computer work perfectly fine with the new FireFace 400 and old Multiface (w/ PCMCIA card)?
Old 28th August 2006
Gear Addict

Anyone had a chance to compare the 400 converters to the 800?
Old 31st August 2006
Gear Nut

Thumbs down

RME,
You're "how do i join newsgroups" how-to guide IS HORRIBLE. I followed the directions verbatim as many others and it DOES NOT WORK! It won't let me post any messages! PLEASE CREATE A DEDICATED HTML WEB FORUM. Synthax's website is not working correctly AGAIN. This is getting ridiculous, stop being lazy and create a web forum. It's much easier for the majority of persons to get in touch with RME this way. dfegad
Old 31st August 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by dejacky View Post
RME,
Your "how do i join newsgroups" how-to guide IS HORRIBLE.
Which one exactly are you referring to?
Quote:
I followed the directions verbatim as many others and it DOES NOT WORK! It won't let me post any messages!
Who is "it"? What exactly happens? What kind of software are you using? I would like to help you, but "It does not work" ist simply not precise enough.

There's nothing wrong with the newsgroup as such, it works just fine. It must be your software or the settings...

Quote:
PLEASE CREATE A DEDICATED HTML WEB FORUM. Synthax's website is not working correctly AGAIN.
I can't confirm that. I could log in to their forum without problems.

Quote:
This is getting ridiculous, stop being lazy and create a web forum. It's much easier for the majority of persons to get in touch with RME this way. dfegad r[
The easiest way to get in touch with us directly is by mail. The newsgroup isn't primarily about getting in touch with us, it's a user forum.

Regards,
Daniel Fuchs
RME
Old 31st August 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain caveman View Post
Is the non-overclocked performance drawback highlighted by the Blofelds DSP test related to a native firewire protocol issue, or is it something that can be/is being addressed by RME.
Not quite sure what you're referring to... Enlighten me.

Regards,
Daniel Fuchs
RME

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search