Universal Audio Apollo interface
Old 4th May 2012
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Bang View Post
Category 5...

I'd like to congratulate you for your pragmatism, objectivity, facts and pictures!

2nded
Old 4th May 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by C//AZM View Post
2nded
+1
Old 4th May 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Category 5 View Post
Actually, both Apollo and Orpheus make use of the un-exciting but tried and true 5532 opamps. Much better than the more common TL chips and not really a weak link at all. Not much difference between these two.

AD is a different chip. It is one step under AKMs best chip (120db vs 123db DR is only measured diff, as well as quad vs stereo so a bit cheaper). Same family that grace the Metric Halo ULN series, the Digi192 and a few others well regarded for their conversion. Better than ULN2, one step under the ULN8. Probably chosen over the ak5394 due to it coming in quad rather than only dual configurations. Less circuitry, cheaper, and just about equal performance. The spec sheet shows that it can work in mono mode where it equals the AK5394. Not sure how that works. Maybe UA is.

Were it not for the "loopback" transparency controversy thread this would sit right next to the Metric halo and prism boxes. Above the UFX. Nothing wrong with the design, converters or analog circuitry. Even the PSU is good considering it's a DC to DC supply that is further smoothing an already filtered external DC current. Maybe the clock can be improved? Not sure on this one. As far as AD/DA and the analog components around it, it looks excellent. You can be sure if there are any questionable components Black Lion will find them and offer an upgrade. lol I already sent them my pics to evaluate.

Surprise surprise! DSP card may actually be considered a throw in here. Considering the internals and DSP this box could fetch more than its' msrp.

The knobs, however, are for ****e! lol
Thanks for sending pics to BLA!!!
Old 5th May 2012
You really don't ever have to touch the knobs...I rarely do...just use console.
Old 5th May 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnkenn View Post
You really don't ever have to touch the knobs...I rarely do...just use console.
I agree, I just use the console.
Old 5th May 2012
Lives for gear

This is a great interface. period

I was an early (1st year) adopter of the uad1 cards. I still have 2, they sit on a shelf because they just don't work that well anymore with my current set up. I have waves mercury and many more.. I still miss using even the original 1176 and La2a emulations.

2124.15 with the current discounts I'm reading about for a quad is an absolute steal...

I used to own an RME multiface and an original stereo apogee Rosetta. I used it hard for about 7 years.. The 2 cost me 2200 dollars. Kids today have NO IDEA how lucky they are.

I'm just glad I'm still alive
Old 5th May 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBOY View Post
The 2 cost me 2200 dollars. Kids today have NO IDEA how lucky they are.
So very true. When I started, a home rig was a Fostex cassette 4 track and a few 57's and 58's.
Old 10th May 2012
Gear interested

Hey everybody

Letting you all know that Alto Music just got a shipment of Apollo Quads in stock. Please contact one of our stores for more information

-Seth B-
Old 11th May 2012
Lives for gear

how long does the discount at JRRshop last?
Old 11th May 2012
Well, I'm slightly embarrassed to admit this...but...I sold my Apollo. After coming from the Symphony and living with the Apollo for about a month, I came to the conclusion that the better conversion was ultimately more important to me than the versatility of the Apollo. Plus, I didn't see a logical reason to have them both. I said from the beginning that the Symphony was the better ADDA between the two, but it became more apparent when I really started finishing mixes on the Apollo. I could just never seem to get things perfect...I bought another Symphony yesterday and everything seemed to fall into place again. The only way I could explain it is like this...
The frequency spectrum of the Symphony seems to have more resolution. When you're eq'ing, the smallest of changes make huge differences. Not so with the Apollo.
Now, don't get me wrong - I think the Apollo is a fantastic box. ESPECIALLY if you're using the mic pres and don't have outboard to track with. In fact, if they made a box that you could insert to use their plugs analog (like Anamod 660) without ADDA conversion, I would buy it in a second...the conversion is really good, but not as good as the Symphony. These are all just tools to get us to the best recordings we can make and - for me - the Symphony gets me there quicker. Might not be the same for everyone else.
Old 11th May 2012
Gear interested

Ok so I just got my UA Apollo Quad today in the mail. Giddy with ebullient joy, I unpacked the beauty and promptly realized it doesnt fit in my rack. The screw holes on the unit are too close together (laterally) and dont line up with the holes in the steel mounts on my rack! I can only put in screws on either the left side or the right side of the Apollo but not both! I have several other pieces of hardware (compressors, preamps, my old digi 002 that the apollo is supposed to be replacing, etc) and they all screw in just fine. My rack is a very standard Sonic brand 3' tall rack on wheels. I've known several friends and colleagues over the years with the same piece.

I kind of cant beleive that such a high profile item like the Apollo would be released with such an obvious design flaw. I cant be the only person to have encountered this. Any work-arounds other than just resting the damn thing on another device or on a table? Anybody else have this problem?
Old 11th May 2012
MJB
Lives for gear

You're the second person to mention this, it's a drag, I'm sure. Write to UAD, see what they say, maybe they'll change it and exchange it, who knows? Good luck.
Old 12th May 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Well, I'm slightly embarrassed to admit this...but...I sold my Apollo. After coming from the Symphony and living with the Apollo for about a month, I came to the conclusion that the better conversion was ultimately more important to me than the versatility of the Apollo. Plus, I didn't see a logical reason to have them both. I said from the beginning that the Symphony was the better ADDA between the two, but it became more apparent when I really started finishing mixes on the Apollo. I could just never seem to get things perfect...I bought another Symphony yesterday and everything seemed to fall into place again. The only way I could explain it is like this...
The frequency spectrum of the Symphony seems to have more resolution. When you're eq'ing, the smallest of changes make huge differences. Not so with the Apollo.
Now, don't get me wrong - I think the Apollo is a fantastic box. ESPECIALLY if you're using the mic pres and don't have outboard to track with. In fact, if they made a box that you could insert to use their plugs analog (like Anamod 660) without ADDA conversion, I would buy it in a second...the conversion is really good, but not as good as the Symphony. These are all just tools to get us to the best recordings we can make and - for me - the Symphony gets me there quicker. Might not be the same for everyone else.
Sorry it didn't work out for you. I'm waiting to hear more feedback from people who have finished a mix or two. Our studio has been plagued with issues lately - most recently a bad HDD on our Mac - and I've barely been able to put any real time into it. The monitor outs sounding different than the rest of the outs has me worried that we should have just gone with a Lynx or spent the extra $1200 on a Symphony as we don't really need the pres.
Old 12th May 2012
That's how it kinda started for me...
Old 12th May 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
The monitor outs and the rest of the outs use identical circuitry (except for the headphones). The only possible reason for them sounding different, other than psychological differences, has to be from the digital volume control chip on the monitor outs. It is the only difference. I forget the part # but the volume control chip is a Burr brown part. That chip may well indeed color the sound....but i doubt by much.
And because of the additionally AD coloring from looping back into DAW to print...?

Catergory 5, what is your view on using a dedicated passive controller vs. the inbuilt digitally controlled active circuit in the Apollo? Maybe the attenuation is doing something.
Old 12th May 2012
Hmm...would a satellite allow me to use console and use plugs on the way in?
Old 12th May 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Hmm...would a satellite allow me to use console and use plugs on the way in?
No, but what you could have done was route Symphony into Apollos digital inputs to get Symphony conversion and Apollo processing...
Old 12th May 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
+1 That would be killer. Too bad they don't make a smaller 8ch version of just the symphony's converters.
You could always use some comparable converter to the Symphony. It's what I plan on doing when I get my Apollo. I plan on probably running an Aurora 8 in through Adat.
Old 13th May 2012
Gear addict

Quote:

Uh Oh

Had mine since March 23rd? Haven't even too it out the box yet. Been working out of other studios alot. Im use to the Apogee or Lynx sound. Pity if it doesn't at least stand up to the Lynx 8.
Old 13th May 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
It must have been eating at you since you sold the Symphony. I though the stuff you posted sounded great, but like you once I get something in my head it never stops nagging.

^^^^ This
Old 13th May 2012
I don't think anyone would argue that the Apollo sounds better than the Symphony - believe me, I would still have it if it did. But I think it just depends on what you're going for and what you need. The Apollo is excellent. Those disparaging it are wrong - its a great value for all that it does. That being said, the Symphony does one thing - conversion - and it does it better. It should, it's $1200 more.
I just came to the conclusion that I wasn't using the Apollo to its full potential. I wasn't gonna use the Apollo pres when I have a 1073 sitting there and I wasn't gonna track with other compressors when I had a Sta-level. Those were the positives that I had used to justify buying the Apollo...when I realized I wasn't really gonna use any of those positives, I knew what I needed to do.
Old 13th May 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
I don't think anyone would argue that the Apollo sounds better than the Symphony - believe me, I would still have it if it did. But I think it just depends on what you're going for and what you need. The Apollo is excellent. Those disparaging it are wrong - its a great value for all that it does. That being said, the Symphony does one thing - conversion - and it does it better. It should, it's $1200 more.
I just came to the conclusion that I wasn't using the Apollo to its full potential. I wasn't gonna use the Apollo pres when I have a 1073 sitting there and I wasn't gonna track with other compressors when I had a Sta-level. Those were the positives that I had used to justify buying the Apollo...when I realized I wasn't really gonna use any of those positives, I knew what I needed to do.
That's awesome John I agree... You are a true gearsluter!!! I def value your input!! This is how GS should be!!
Old 14th May 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
The monitor outs and the rest of the outs use identical circuitry (except for the headphones). The only possible reason for them sounding different, other than psychological differences, has to be from the digital volume control chip on the monitor outs. It is the only difference. I forget the part # but the volume control chip is a Burr brown part. That chip may well indeed color the sound....but i doubt by much.
I think they maybe have skimped in this area. I suppose I could do a null test because that seems to be the only way anybody believes a word someone says on these boards lately. If I end up keeping the Apollo and getting it to work right, I'll post up some results. As of right now it might be going back in a day or two.
Old 15th May 2012
Lives for gear

Could someone clarify whether the Apollo can be used as a regular 8 channel standalone A/D D/A convertor if needed? ie/ Line in -> Adat out, Adat in -> Line out?

Just started reading this thread (Okay I have not made it through all 80 pages yet!) and checked out UA's website, but can't seem to find this out.

thanks,
Old 18th May 2012
Gear Fiend

Apollo Lead Guitar Plug-In Settings

Old 18th May 2012
MJB
Lives for gear

Hey GGL, that's wonderful, thanks for doing the plug demo's, it must take you a bit of time..

It's funny, but the Studer plug might be renamed, the pleasant sound plug. It just does something that's subtle, but something you'd rather not be without. My budget's tight, I still need a suit and a ring for my wedding on June 24th, and they ain't cheap ;-), so the plugs will have to wait. I'd love to see the 250 Reverb in action next time, if you have one. My first plug purchases will likely be the Studer, EMT 250 and the 1176 upgrades. I'd love to hear a demo of the VOG too.
Old 20th May 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by masturfator View Post
sorry if this has been addressed already, but I searched and couldnt find the info. Is the Apollo capable of 5.1 surround monitoring? I'm on the fence right now about it, but if it can im sold.
every audio interface with at least 8 outputs is capable of 5.1 and 7.1 monitoring!
Old 21st May 2012
Lives for gear

I'm curious about 5.1 monitoring as well. I was mainly wondering if any number of the output channels can be locked together for volume control via either control surface, or front knob.

I'm also wondering if there is a talk back feature..

It is a virtual "console" right?
Old 22nd May 2012
ADV
Gear interested
Some opinions.....

So I have been going through the thread over the past few days and I'm having a hard time making a decision. I am in the market for a new audio interface and I was looking at the Apogee Ensemble and Apollo. I am currently using a MOTU 828 MKII. I do dance music and want something better than the MOTU. I considered the Duet 2 but I need S/PDIF as the turntable I sample from has S/PDIF. Also, I still use some external synths so the 2 inputs won't cut it.

I know I can pick up a pre owned Ensemble for much less than the Apollo. My goal is to get a more defined sound. I know there are a few parts to this (Audio Interface, Monitors, Etc.) but I want to start with the interface. I will buy a pair of better monitors a little later.

So I know the Duet 2 has newer converters than the Ensemble but I'm still not sure a bout the Ensemble VS the Apollo. For what i do is it overkill to go with the Apollo? Do I wait and see if there is a new Ensemble coming? Some input would be helpful.

Thanks in advance!
Old 22nd May 2012
Wait at least half a year. Things will be different then...

In two years time everything will be thunderbolt.... With way way lower latencies...
Topic:

Welcome to Gearslutz Pro Audio Forum!

Registration benefits include:
  • Ability to make and reply to posts
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get instant lifetime access to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20
  • List your eBay auctions for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search