Universal Audio Apollo interface
Old 3rd April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by euphoria89 View Post
IO latency is really the only element that differs from interface-interface. VI/Samples/Native effects are all computed by the host CPU/RAM.
I don't agree, sorry.

Latency is only one factor that needs to be weighed up. The largest factor separating audio interfaces is the driver performance @ those respective latencies, VI Samples/Native effects may be dependent on CPU/memory resources, but without the foundation of the driver performance in the first instance, performance variables can be huge.

Quote:
From all accounts, the Apollo has the same amount (if not slightly improved) latency from other similar devices. Someone posted values of around 5.3ms at 32 samples/buffer at 44.1Khz. If working at 96Khz, this would be less than half this value
Can you point me to the thread where that is posted please.

Is that Round Trip Latency or just for the Output ?

FWIW : Both RME and Lynx PCIe /ADDA deliver under 3 ms RTL @ 032 Buffers , the UFX delivers 5.056 under USB/ 5.546 under FW @ 064.

The practice of doubling the sample rate simply to lower latency doesn't pay off performance wise due to the extensive increase in processing overhead to do so.

As I mentioned above but its worth repeating, RTL is only 1/2 the equation, the second half being how the drivers actually perform at those latency settings.
Old 3rd April 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by method1 View Post
as far as I understand it, roundtrip latency does not impact the use of VIs ..
On Mac Os, VI performance is handled by your cpu, and the DAW buffer setting should not affect the latency of an instrument (unless you're using a high latency effect plugin as an insert on the VI)

Of course someone will correct me if i'm wrong…
I hate to be the guy, but... no offense, you're wrong :-)

Interestingly the same misconception is floating around the other Apollo thread...

The fact: audio buffers regulate *all* audio passing between your DAW and your audio interface. With VIs, you won't have any audio *input* latency, but you'll still hear the effect of the buffer setting on audio output.

-James
Old 3rd April 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnashguitar View Post
I hate to be the guy, but... no offense, you're wrong :-)

Interestingly the same misconception is floating around the other Apollo thread...

The fact: audio buffers regulate *all* audio passing between your DAW and your audio interface. With VIs, you won't have any audio *input* latency, but you'll still hear the effect of the buffer setting on audio output.

-James
Good, I'm not going insane.
Old 3rd April 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
IO latency is really the only element that differs from interface-interface. VI/Samples/Native effects are all computed by the host CPU/RAM.
But when you want to *hear* the output of your VIs/samples/native effects, the audio *does* pass through the audio interface buffers. Higher audio buffer settings result in more latency, even with VIs.

Quote:
From all accounts, the Apollo has the same amount (if not slightly improved) latency from other similar devices. Someone posted values of around 5.3ms at 32 samples/buffer at 44.1Khz.
If those Apollo measurements are correct, they're higher than comparable Firewire boxes from MOTU, RME, Metric Halo.

Many users probably won't care about that additional latency, but it does appear that (at the moment), Apollo is somewhat behind the competition in latency performance.

-James
Old 3rd April 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
But when you want to *hear* the output of your VIs/samples/native effects, the audio *does* pass through the audio interface buffers. Higher audio buffer settings result in more latency, even with VIs.

If those Apollo measurements are correct, they're higher than comparable Firewire boxes from MOTU, RME, Metric Halo.

Many users probably won't care about that additional latency, but it does appear that (at the moment), Apollo is somewhat behind the competition in latency performance.

-James
Thunderbolt should improve latency even further but @ 32 samples 44.1 Apollo feels great and runs great for me even on FireWire!
Old 3rd April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Category 5 View Post
Just got an email from UAS saying they will give a $200 credit for trade-ins of each UAD1 you have registered.
Now THAT is a great idea from UA (yes I know AVID does this too). It's something that's sure to keep more people loyal to UAD as equipment becomes outdated and plugins need more and more power.
Old 3rd April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCDaveWilcox View Post
That is great news to me, I'll be even more thrilled if the Apollo can surpass the Ensemble!

I was looking for real world experience with the unit not what my sales guy at SweetWater tries to push on me. I already know he would prefer the Apogee, I just don't really value his opinion due to the conflict of interest.

I'm not sure what you mean by demanding. I'm simply qualifying the answer, If someone think's the MR 816 sounds great then I'm not sure my ears would be compatible with their opinion of the Apollo, that's all. Thanks for the reply.
Here's an easy fix. Buy one and try it. If you don't like it, I guarantee you will have no trouble selling it. But my guess is, we would have to pry it out of your cold, lifeless hands before you would part with it.
Old 3rd April 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quint View Post
Now THAT is a great idea from UA (yes I know AVID does this too). It's something that's sure to keep more people loyal to UAD as equipment becomes outdated and plugins need more and more power.
Yes, now I'm kicking myself for selling five UAD1s for £10 each...
Old 3rd April 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by stakeoutstudios View Post
Thunderbolt should improve latency even further but @ 32 samples 44.1 Apollo feels great and runs great for me even on FireWire!
Good info, thanks!

I use V Drums with BFD2, so I'm particularly sensitive to latency performance. Most users probably don't care about the difference between 4 or 5 or 6 ms, but when you start doing stick bounces on a snare or ride cymbal, you can absolutely feel the difference.

-James
Old 3rd April 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Good info, thanks!

I use V Drums with BFD2, so I'm particularly sensitive to latency performance. Most users probably don't care about the difference between 4 or 5 or 6 ms, but when you start doing stick bounces on a snare or ride cymbal, you can absolutely feel the difference.

-James
I'm a drummer myself but must admit I record acoustic drums which I imagine is similarly sensitive to monitoring issues - though you hear some of the kit through cans regardless.

Most the time I'm using VIs it's with a keyboard but still I'm very sensitive to the feel of latency.
Old 4th April 2012
Gear interested

I got the apollo and am trying to set up a headphone mix with the console application and cant quite figure this situation out;

Obviously I can setup the monitoring of the inputs of the apollo for the headphone mixes, but how do I send the pro tools stereo output to the headphone mixes? When I playback audio from pro tools or from my mac it comes through the monitor section but I dont see a way to send that to the headphones 1 or 2. Do I have to do it externally? Please help!
Old 4th April 2012
Gear addict

Ouch. Pity that it has worse latency than UFX and other boxes. I may wait until TB is tested or go PCIe.
Old 4th April 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinncmusic View Post
I got the apollo and am trying to set up a headphone mix with the console application and cant quite figure this situation out;

Obviously I can setup the monitoring of the inputs of the apollo for the headphone mixes, but how do I send the pro tools stereo output to the headphone mixes? When I playback audio from pro tools or from my mac it comes through the monitor section but I dont see a way to send that to the headphones 1 or 2. Do I have to do it externally? Please help!
You dont see the HP1 or HP2 in your output pulldown menu?.
Old 4th April 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJaneFinch View Post
You dont see the HP1 or HP2 in your output pulldown menu?.
I do not. I see analog 1-10 in the output setup but no HP. What am I missing?
Old 4th April 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
I do not. I see analog 1-10 in the output setup but no HP. What am I missing?
Go to you "I/O" click on the "output" tab and export/save your settings.

Then click "Default" and "OK" and that should bring up all your Apollo outs for your pulldown menu options.

Let me know if that works.
Old 4th April 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJaneFinch View Post
Go to you "I/O" click on the "output" tab and export/save your settings.

Then click "Default" and "OK" and that should bring up all your Apollo outs for your pulldown menu options.

Let me know if that works.
Got it! Thanks.
Old 4th April 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
Got it! Thanks.
Your welcome.

Enjoy your Apollo, it really rocks!.

Old 4th April 2012
UAD just update to 6.2 software featuring the new "classic limiter collection"

"The plug-ins in the UA 1176 Classic Limiter Collection benefit from the additional processing power afforded by the UAD-2, plus more than 10 years of UA’s evolving sophistication designing plug-ins. While our original 1176 plug-ins’ compression behaviors remain an excellent rendition of the hardware, the new UA 1176 Classic Limiter Collection plug-ins add input and output amplifier stage modeling, improvements to the gain reduction nonlinearities, and superior attack and release behaviors. Hands down, these are the most musical and authentic 1176 plug-in emulations ever created."

Other Changes:
UAD-1 software is no longer included in the installer
(Mac) OS X 10.5 Leopard is no longer supported
(Apollo) Resolved RealVerb Pro crash issue
See the detailed release notes for additional information
Old 4th April 2012
Lives for gear

$149..
Just seen that!!! Hmmmmm
Old 4th April 2012
Lives for gear

Disengaging all the ratio buttons disables compression but signal passes thru the the "1176 Circuitry to add some color without gain reduction...!!!
I love that.
Old 4th April 2012
Apollo Firewire Bus Speed Issues

Any owners want to comment on the Firewire bus speeds? I noticed you can't run bus powered hardrives from the Apollo. Any one with an iMac or MacBook pro want to explain how they are running their Pro-Tools sessions off a firewire hardrive and only one port? I'm a little disappointed that the guys from UA at NAMM failed to tell me this after I explained to them my setup and the current issues I have with my BLA 002 and only 1 firewire port on both my iMac and Macbook pro. Looks like you have to either have power plugged in to your Pro-Tools session hardive or purchase a Firewire Reapeater for an additional est $100. Please no one mention Thunderbolt, its irrelevant at this stage.

Thanks
Old 4th April 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Category 5 View Post
Says $299 on the site...bummer
$149 introductory offer for existing customers. UA rewards their customers very well.
Old 4th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by stakeoutstudios View Post
$149 introductory offer for existing customers. UA rewards their customers very well.
Still have a $50 vouch but that's still $99.. worth it.!.! Hope its $150 for us a lil while longer!!
Old 4th April 2012
Lives for gear

Any more clarification of the Round Trip Latency and performance of the unit at the lower latencies ?
Old 5th April 2012
Did a little experiment connecting the ADATs and sending DIVA to the console, and adding some effects to the ADAT channels and an AUX track.
It's really cool to be able to use the UAD effects with no added latency.
I'm printing the aux back into cubase which is pretty much the same workflow I'd use if i was sending stuff through my outboard gear. Very nice!

Old 5th April 2012
For the guys running Apollo on iMacs or Mac Pros.. are you switching the apollo off when not in use or keeping it on?
Old 5th April 2012
Just ordered the Apollo. Get it tomorrow. I have a Symphony I/o and I'll give my thoughts on how they compare.
Old 5th April 2012
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnkenn View Post
Just ordered the Apollo. Get it tomorrow. I have a Symphony I/o and I'll give my thoughts on how they compare.
Wow I think you buy more gear than anyone on Here! Your pockets must be very deep. Cheers.
Old 5th April 2012
Lives for gear
2 ms latency is not zero latency.
Old 5th April 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyGoldstein View Post
2 ms latency is not zero latency.
0.001 ms latency is not zero latency.
Topic:

Welcome to Gearslutz Pro Audio Forum!

Registration benefits include:
  • Ability to make and reply to posts
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get instant lifetime access to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20
  • List your eBay auctions for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search