Universal Audio Apollo interface
Old 25th February 2012
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by isma View Post
of course any plugs will be before the DA, everything is before the DA.
DA means digital to analog, it's the last step before the signal is sent to your monitors if analog).
What the seller meant is "put the plug before it hits the DAW (not DA) so there is no latency.
The DAW is your recording software (logic, cubase...)
Sorry... I mean before the AD converter
Old 25th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajustment View Post
Sorry... I mean before the AD converter
Sweden has Guitar Center stores?
Old 25th February 2012
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneinaPond View Post
Sweden has Guitar Center stores?
Haha... yes we do. But I was talking about "mug.se" wish is probebly the largest online music store in sweden.

How the hack is it possible to put digital plugins before AD converter?
Old 25th February 2012
Lives for gear

GC is in Europe!? O no!!!! GC sucks! Seriously.
Old 25th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Haha... yes we do. But I was talking about "mug.se" wish is probebly the largest online music store in sweden.

Perhaps UA has access to an alternate universe where they have the ability to shred the laws of physics. Atomic osmosis?

Old 25th February 2012
Gear addict

Quote:

No as the plugs are digital so they need to act on a digital source.
The analog source will be converted first like in a digtal fx unit.
Old 25th February 2012
Lives for gear

The Mini is just the guts of a MBP - sans the keyboard and screen. What you can do to a MBP you can do to a Mini. Regardless what the Apple goons tell you. 16GB RAM is a go. Look around, some 8GB Dimms are going for decent money.
Old 25th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Category 5 View Post
Not so. Just got a pair for my 2011 MPB i7 for $134 shipped. 16GB goodness.
Where from??
Old 26th February 2012
Lives for gear

I was sold on the Apollo, but now I have second thoughts (since I already have the 4-710d). If the Apollo and 4-710 have the same converters and the 4-710 has better mic preamps, I may get one of those interfaces that have a good set digital connections. This will allow me to use the 4-710 converters instead of the interface converters. Theoretically, this should sound as good or better than the Apollo, without the UAD. If it don't I'll simply sell what I have and get the Apollo. It sounds like 4-710 would be a good match for the Apollo. But, they both do almost the same thing, but one has DA and UAD-2.
Old 26th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Not so. Just got a pair for my 2011 MPB i7 for $134 shipped. 16GB goodness.
Please share!!! I have the 2011 Quad 2.3 i7 MBP and would love to do the 16GB upgrade.
Old 26th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoovemode View Post
I was sold on the Apollo, but now I have second thoughts (since I already have the 4-710d). If the Apollo and 4-710 have the same converters and the 4-710 has better mic preamps, I may get one of those interfaces that have a good set digital connections. This will allow me to use the 4-710 converters instead of the interface converters. Theoretically, this should sound as good or better than the Apollo, without the UAD. If it don't I'll simply sell what I have and get the Apollo. It sounds like 4-710 would be a good match for the Apollo. But, they both do almost the same thing, but one has DA and UAD-2.
Except the Apollo doesn't appear to have the same converters as the 4-710d. Go on to the UA website and download both user manuals. Go to the specifications page and compare specs in the AD/DA sections. Very, very different.
Old 26th February 2012
Lives for gear

News flash...

A bunch of great artists don't mean sh*t!

A great room don't mean sh*t!

A U87 don't mean sh*t!

A great preamp don't mean sh*t!

A Neve console don't mean sh*t!

A ton of great outboard don't mean sh*t!

A Burl converter don't mean sh*t!

Not to the guy with the 003 Rack sitting in his bedroom or basement using VIs for almost everything, with perhaps a DI'd guitar or bass, and maybe a $300 Chinese mic and a Reflexion filter for a vocal booth.

None of that means sh*t to that guy, who is part of a very large market, and who just found out that Pro Tools 11, which will be 64-bit and allow him to run all of the VIs he can stand, probably will not work with his 003 Rack.

But the Apollo, which he (or possibly his dad/mom), can buy from Musician's Friend or Guitar Center (or Sweetwater or Vintage King) will mean a great deal to him...

And it's probably going to mean a sh*tload of money for UA...

Last edited by bdenton; 26th February 2012 at 02:06 AM.. Reason: I left out a bunch of I's (and the word "converter")
Old 26th February 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Honestly, if someone doesn't necessarily want the DSP, then why would they even look at the Apollo rather than the UFX or something else? If you only want the preamps/converters, definitely consider getting a more flexible interface and a 4-710D (if the converters are the same). The DSP the whole point to the Apollo, IMO.
Old 26th February 2012
Lives for gear

i would say thunderbolt as well

UFX is limited to USB 2 and FW correct?

plus the apollo will be stackable

UFX not

etc
Old 26th February 2012
Gear maniac

there are stackable FW interfaces and tb is not yet an option. nobody should be jumping on the first tb interface available if thats the main attraction for them. there will be plenty of options soon enough, im sure. i guess everybody has different needs though... or something. if i didn't need want UAD plugins, i wouldn't want the apollo, personally.
Old 26th February 2012
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrak View Post
Honestly, if someone doesn't necessarily want the DSP, then why would they even look at the Apollo rather than the UFX or something else? If you only want the preamps/converters, definitely consider getting a more flexible interface and a 4-710D (if the converters are the same). The DSP the whole point to the Apollo, IMO.
I can only speak for this someone but:
+ Thunderbolt
+ Latency
+ FW hub
+ 4 good preamps
+ Great conversion (someone pointed out early that the Apollo has different conversion specs)

I plan to use very few of the UA plugins ... maybe tape simulators if they are included.

Also, MF lists the Apollo as: "Expected to ship 4/23/12"
Old 26th February 2012
Lives for gear

Old 26th February 2012
Lives for gear

1500 posts and no one heard it yet other than endorsers
Old 26th February 2012
Gear addict

Quote:
With the apollo you can use UAD plugs in your home studio or for live performances (wich is not the same as the Totalmix fx plugs), with no latency.
Like a proper FX rack.
You can't do this with a UAD satellite + UFX.
Old 26th February 2012
Lives for gear

I would much rather stack units and devices with thunderbolt than USB or FW

I think Apogee, MH, and a bunch of others are starting to roll out or announce TB interfaces as well

now thats the hope. if the drivers or stability or sound of this thing dont hold up than something else would be where i look

for me though and my needs this is perfect

i can run the UAD plugs if i want, i have a nice interface that i can finally stack with another, my macbook, external HD's, monitors etc all over TB

but again, i am waiting to hear real world experiences from users and then will try it on my own and decide once i try it, in my room, in my workflow
Old 26th February 2012
GPl
Lives for gear

Old 26th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Was from transintl.com on Valentines day.

Here is best price right now. Not too much more. $160

Newegg.com - CORSAIR 16GB (2 x 8G) 204-Pin DDR3 SO-DIMM DDR3 1333 Laptop Memory Model CMSO16GX3M2A1333C9
Thank you. I remember when these first came out and they were over a grand to purchase. Glad to see they've brought the price back down to earth.

This will be a nice addition when both Pro Tools goes 64-Bit, and the UAD plugins with the Apollo follow suit.

Cheers.
Old 26th February 2012
let's keep this thread on focus about the Apollo...
Old 26th February 2012
Gear maniac

There's only so much that can said about a product that only exists on paper.
Old 26th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
There's only so much that can said about a product that only exists on paper.
Is there a prize for people saying really stupid ignorant things?
Old 26th February 2012
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macaroni View Post
Is there a prize for people saying really stupid ignorant things?
shut up

this thing isn't available to customers yet and people keep complaining about the speculation, or direction conversation turns... it's an unreleased product that's created some excitement. people are going to talk. whine on. since it's nobody's hands, there's going to be opinions from every angle until it's released.
Old 26th February 2012
Lives for gear

as a sound card, and it's latency buffers for VSTI instruments, would be interesting.

Remember this is their first 'soundcard' stability of a soundcard is hard enough, let alone incorporating UAD plugins, / 64 cubase / protools support,

It's entering a very deep area that RME has been dealing with for 15 years.

I hope they nail it, but 'sound card' stability and latency without pops and clicks is many composers first priority,

We'll see what happens.

The only thing this has going for it essentially is the inbuilt UAD interface which requires a ton of money to populate with their plugins.

Time will tell, it's their first soundcard, I hope they nail it!, although i don't have my hopes up.
Old 26th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
shut up
Make me - by saying something remotely intelligent.

The unit exists and is in production. It's not merely on paper as you so idiotically stated, thus adding nothing to the discussion except your ignorance.

Prove that it only exists on paper or you shut up.
Old 27th February 2012
Gear addict

What is more worth it? To get this apollo with Pro Tools 10 LE or to get the Pro Tools HD Native with the Omni and just use UAD plug-ins with a Quad?

With the latter you get the benefits of HD, with the former you don't. This is a drag.

Which is a better bet?
Old 27th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by T800 View Post
What is more worth it? To get this apollo with Pro Tools 10 LE or to get the Pro Tools HD Native with the Omni and just use UAD plug-ins with a Quad?

With the latter you get the benefits of HD, with the former you don't. This is a drag.

Which is a better bet?
The latter
Topic:

Welcome to Gearslutz Pro Audio Forum!

Registration benefits include:
  • Ability to make and reply to posts
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get instant lifetime access to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20
  • List your eBay auctions for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search