The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Universal Audio Apollo interface Audio Interfaces
Old 16th February 2012
Lives for gear

And Studio Economiks will be selling...already taking orders
Old 16th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solar View Post
Will sure do mate! Which area of MTL are you? And indeed am very very curious to check out these two in hand before purchase

East end of mtl..... and i will see what Economik have to said about the Apollo.
Old 16th February 2012
I just looked at the back of this unit and I see something I don't like. There is only 4 Mic XLRs inputs. So much for connecting my snake from my control room to this and recording 8 instruments simultaneously. :(. I see there is 8 line inputs, but then that would require a separate mixer, wouldn't it? Kind of hard to take advantage of pristine mic pres if you need to plug your mics into a mixer first to bring the levels to line level and then into the Apollo? Not impressed.
Old 16th February 2012
Lives for gear

OMG
Old 16th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnymackguitar View Post
I just looked at the back of this unit and I see something I don't like. There is only 4 Mic XLRs inputs. So much for connecting my snake from my control room to this and recording 8 instruments simultaneously. :(. I see there is 8 line inputs, but then that would require a separate mixer, wouldn't it? Kind of hard to take advantage of pristine mic pres if you need to plug your mics into a mixer first to bring the levels to line level and then into the Apollo? Not impressed.
Just spend more time learning recording, mixing and basic signal chain/connections workflow for a little while longer. Someone at your level really shouldn't be spending Apollo style money before understanding some more basics. No offense.
Old 16th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DR Music View Post
It's sounds like 2 4-710 too me hope I'm totally wrong.

If it is, they've seriously re-worked the singal path. The spec sheets couldn't possibly be any more different. AD/DA specs are generally taken from the manufacturer of the chip. Which leads me to believe that no, this is not a 4-710d converter.

Plus, isn't the 4-710d an 8-channel converter anyways? Wouldn't be two of them ...
Old 16th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorg View Post
Universal Audios reaction to this thread:

I won't buy a pseudocopy of the Orpheus.
Old 16th February 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by rksguit View Post
This thing wil be $4000 in Australia

And that's with the 3 plugins[analogue golden nugget's or something] you get,BEFORE you buy any more.

No W7 Support till 2012 N,Hemisphere Summer.

The new RME UCX,is looking better and better.
No it won't. $2999rrp Aud for the quad. $2499 for the duo.
Old 16th February 2012
Then explain

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbjp View Post
Just spend more time learning recording, mixing and basic signal chain/connections workflow for a little while longer. Someone at your level really shouldn't be spending Apollo style money before understanding some more basics. No offense.
I do understand signal paths. I just happen to run an Analog signal path. Keep in mind every situation will be a little different and I over exaggerated the part about the aux mixer, but really how would one connect the other 6 XLR mic connectors? I just couldn't use this the way my system is setup.
Old 16th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
I do understand signal paths. I just happen to run an Analog signal path. Keep in mind every situation will be a little different and I over exaggerated the part about the aux mixer, but really how would one connect the other 6 XLR mic connectors? I just couldn't use this the way my system is setup.
It's got only 4 preamps. You have to work your way around it.
Old 16th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
6? You mean 4 right? You would connect them to 4 other mic pres, which would be patched in to the other 4 line ins.

And I thought the no midi ports was a ridiculous reason for not buying this box.
Old 16th February 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by KBOY View Post
6? You mean 4 right? You would connect them to 4 other mic pres, which would be patched in to the other 4 line ins.

And I thought the no midi ports was a ridiculous reason for not buying this box.
I'm sorry Yes I meant 4, I would have 4 open XLRs which could potentially have 4 microphones connected to them that have no way to connect to this device.

There is only 4 mic pres guys- only 4. not 8

This coupled by the fact that I actually would need 24 so I would want to buy three, Oh wait, can you link them?

I love the possibility of having an 1176 at my fingertips but I couldn't enjoy recording a large group all at once. Could I?
Old 16th February 2012
Gear Nut

Quote:
Being on a G5 with an HD3 I was pretty excited about the Apollo being an alternative to HD Native or HDX.
Let's see:

Apollo Quad with thunderbolt =$3000.00
Extra UAD plugs 1000.00
Pro Tools 10 w/CPTK 2700.00

TOTAL $6700.00

Trade in HD 3 FOR HDX W8x8io =$6999.00
Add Mac Pro = $3000.00

total = $10,000.00

And this : "Apple Releases First Developer Preview of OS X Mountain Lion, Public Launch in Late Summer"

Apple Releases First Developer Preview of OS X Mountain Lion, Public Launch in Late Summer - MacRumors Forums

Old 16th February 2012
Quote:
There is only 4 mic pres guys- only 4. not 8
the Ensemble only has 4 mic pre's
the UFX only has 4 mic pre's
the Orpheus only has 4 mic pre's

I'm not sure I understand, so what's the problem?
Old 16th February 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by climber View Post
the Ensemble only has 4 mic pre's
the UFX only has 4 mic pre's
the Orpheus only has 4 mic pre's

I'm not sure I understand, so what's the problem?
Steinberg MR816 with direct monitoring= 0% latency- 8 high quality class A Yamaha Pristine mic pres. Stackable (I have two = 16 HQ mic pres)

I know it's not a UA. But if i'm upgrading I want at least the same features. Is it too much to ask for 8 mic pres?
Old 16th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Steinberg MR816 with direct monitoring= 0% latency- 8 high quality class A Yamaha Pristine mic pres. Stackable (I have two = 16 HQ mic pres)

I know it's not a UA. But if i'm upgrading I want at least the same features. Is it too much to ask for 8 mic pres?

DUDE, study up.
Old 16th February 2012
Lives for gear

Hmm, I'm becoming more and more interested. I saw the announcement and blew it off.
Already have an audio interface and UAD2-Duo.

But, this looks like you can run the delays, reverbs, EQs, etc in realtime like a Lexicon
or Eventide AND have an 8 channel sub-mixer... that's pretty impressive.

OK, quick OT...
what's their story on existing plugs, you have to move them all to one card? What if
I use this on another machine? Gotta buy the plugs twice even if they aren't being
used at the same time? I don't know the story, I'm just imagining scenarios.

Thanks-
Old 16th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose View Post
I won't buy a pseudocopy of the Orpheus.
Maybe UAD is planning on offering an Orpheus plugin?

UAD might be planning to cash in by offering plugs modeled on different converters!heh

Regards,
Frank
Old 16th February 2012
Gear Head

Quote:

Looks like this product is not for you....

Seriously do some more research / learning on signal path routing etc....there are other ways of adding microphones to the box (ADAT, S/PDIF, Line In)
Invest in some dedicated MicPreamps (which will also give you additional flexibility) and route them either through the LineIns into the Apollo or via an 8ch AD/DA converter (i.e. Presonus Digimax, RME, Apogee etc)
Old 16th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:

Johnny use external pre's. I would say most of do.
Forget about those interface pre's, think of them as emergency. I switched to external pres 6-7 years ago. Night and day.
Greater Conversion is what's wanted.
Old 16th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkili View Post
Looks like this product is not for you....

Seriously do some more research / learning on signal path routing etc....there are other ways of adding microphones to the box (ADAT, S/PDIF, Line In)
Invest in some dedicated MicPreamps (which will also give you additional flexibility) and route them either through the LineIns into the Apollo or via an 8ch AD/DA converter (i.e. Presonus Digimax, RME, Apogee etc)
100% right!
dedicated external pre's
Old 16th February 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR Music View Post
100% right!
dedicated external pre's
External pres? Lots of us could upgrade their mic pres, Eventually I will. Need more $$ Got any preferences?
Old 16th February 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
External pres? Lots of us could upgrade their mic pres, Eventually I will. Need more $$ Got any preferences?
Preferences ?.....endless choices, but this my friend is for another thread
Old 16th February 2012
Lives for gear

C'est rendu de la merde ce thread, toujours les mêmes questions
Trop de newbies
Je fais ce que j'aurais du faire depuis longtemps, je décriss...

In English,

See y'all I'm outta here.
Old 16th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Ludovico View Post
C'est rendu de la merde ce thread, toujours les mêmes questions
Trop de newbies
Je fais ce que j'aurais du faire depuis longtemps, je décriss...

In English,

See y'all I'm outta here.
Le probleme ici ces ça, y'a trop de ti-counes qui n'ont jamais eu en main le gear dont il parle et ne savent meme pas de quoi ils parles
Ces pas mal de la marde , ce sont eux qui font que Gearslutz perd tout le peut de credibilité qu'il lui reste.........
Old 16th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entrainer View Post
OK, quick OT...
what's their story on existing plugs, you have to move them all to one card? What if
I use this on another machine? Gotta buy the plugs twice even if they aren't being
used at the same time? I don't know the story, I'm just imagining scenarios.

Thanks-
From what I saw & read @ NAMM, you treat an Apollo the same as any other UAD card. You assign it to your existing "Hardware Group" when you register it and all existing UAD plug-in licenses become part of the Apollo. You can have up to (4) UAD-1 cards + (4) UAD-2 devices (PCIe cards and external devices like the Satellite & Apollo) in a "Hardware Group" sharing plug-in licenses. I have a UAD-2 QUAD & SOLO in my DAW rig (and most of the UAD plug-ins), so being able add an Apollo and use all of my existing UAD-2 plug-ins without additional expense is very attractive to me.

Also, UAD licenses are tied to your UAD cards/devices and NOT to any computer component or outside source. Which means you can take any card/device (even the Apollo) to another studio/location and use a different computer/laptop and simply load the UAD software (if it is not already loaded) plug in your UAD devices, apply your current authorization file and start using all of your plug-ins.

Cheers,

Billy Buck
Old 16th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dentunes View Post
It's not vapor. People have seen and heard it, if they went to NAMM. There are recordings made with it online.
The "required" Thunderbolt option is vaporware until it hits !

FWIW - Being a veteran of more trade shows than I care to think about , anyone making a judgement call on the sound of anything from the booth at a trade show floor seriously needs to have a rethink.

Re making those same judgement calls on the recordings online....

Old 16th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Buck View Post
From what I saw & read @ NAMM, you treat an Apollo the same as any other UAD card....

Cheers,

Billy Buck
Sounds better/smarter than I imagined. Thanks!
Old 16th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
This product is real and functioning and shipping to dealers.
It may or may not be real and functioning (the units that are out there may be prototypes) but I don't believe that it's shipping to dealers yet.

Quote:
I figure we got two 4-710D's( or maybe the transimpedence pre's they had in that monitor controller that never sold well) and a UAD card put together!
There are only four preamps, and they may be based on the 4-710D...but they're certainly not the same.

Quote:
Kind of hard to take advantage of pristine mic pres if you need to plug your mics into a mixer first to bring the levels to line level and then into the Apollo?
Again, there are only four preamps in this thing. The second four inputs are line level only...this was known from the beginning.

Quote:
But if i'm upgrading I want at least the same features. Is it too much to ask for 8 mic pres?
Again...we don't know if this will be an "upgrade" yet. It may be for some and not for others.

You're certainly getting more in terms of the UAD DSP, but you are losing four mic pres...so in this particular case yes, it is too much to ask for 8 pres.
Old 17th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbjp View Post

DUDE, study up.
I know... but taken from sound on sound

Quote:
All eight inputs feature Yamaha's new D-Pre discrete Class-A mic preamps, each with its own rotary gain control, combi socket (supporting both balanced and unbalanced signals) and dual-colour signal/peak indicator
Steinberg MR816 CSX

or from the manual ...

Quote:
...with an outstanding sound quality through Class-A designed “D-Pre” microphone inputs...
From what I discovered, they are the same across the Yamaha line.

Discrete Class A “D-PRE” Mic Preamps with an Inverted Darlington Circuit.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search