The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Universal Audio Apollo interface Audio Interfaces
Old 14th February 2012
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbone View Post
Can you define what's pro, is it in term of l/O or sonic quality ?

The demo with Fab sound pro to me , and more......
I sure can't. I didn't say it wasn't pro-sounding, i said i don't think it is aimed at pros. To the contrary i said i thought it would work well for my needs and sounds great. If a professional studio think it has the feature set to be the centerpiece of their converter needs, even better. For the price it seems like a sweet-spot between RME and Orpheus/Symphony which is why i thought maybe they were aiming for prosumers. You both skipped over all the other parts where i said it will be a great success. Is it going to be marketed to big studios? I don't know.

An all in one converter box with 4 preamps seems to be just right for a home studio, remote, or location work.
Old 14th February 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickpunch View Post
Being on a G5 with an HD3 I was pretty excited about the Apollo being an alternative to HD Native or HDX.
Let's see:

Apollo Quad with thunderbolt =$3000.00
Extra UAD plugs 1000.00
Pro Tools 10 w/CPTK 2700.00

TOTAL $6700.00

Trade in HD 3 FOR HDX W8x8io =$6999.00

Well if you have G5... forget HDX... not compatible... You must have at least a Mac Pro 2009 model (2008 do strange things with the firmware) and Lion running smooth.
Old 15th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMauce View Post
Well if you have G5... forget HDX... not compatible... You must have at least a Mac Pro 2009 model (2008 do strange things with the firmware) and Lion running smooth.
Stay HD... Better that way!! HD3 is great even on a G5.
Old 15th February 2012
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickpunch View Post
Being on a G5 with an HD3 I was pretty excited about the Apollo being an alternative to HD Native or HDX.
Let's see:

Apollo Quad with thunderbolt =$3000.00
Extra UAD plugs 1000.00
Pro Tools 10 w/CPTK 2700.00

TOTAL $6700.00

Trade in HD 3 FOR HDX W8x8io =$6999.00

Also an HDX card has around 3.5 to 4 times the processing power of a UAD quad
Old 15th February 2012
Gear Nut

This interface will be great for Hip Hop and maybe every other genre of music... I was watching one of the first few episodes of Pensado's Place (episode 14 to be exact) when they had Kanye's engineer on the show and he said he was still using a digi001 on a G4 mac to mix (strictly in the box) while other engineers where using big boards and Pro Tools HD!... So with that said, "It's not the car, it's who's driving it". If you think you can't get a great sound out of the Apollo especially using UAD plugins with it then maybe you should just stop trying to be an engineer and get a normal day job. Ok Bye!
Old 15th February 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAMCRISIS View Post
This interface will be great for Hip Hop and maybe every other genre of music... I was watching one of the first few episodes of Pensado's Place (episode 14 to be exact) when they had Kanye's engineer on the show and he said he was still using a digi001 on a G4 mac to mix (strictly in the box) while other engineers where using big boards and Pro Tools HD!... So with that said, "It's not the car, it's who's driving it". If you think you can't get a great sound out of the Apollo especially using UAD plugins with it then maybe you should just stop trying to be an engineer and get a normal day job. Ok Bye!
I Herd DAT!!!
Old 15th February 2012
Old 15th February 2012
shoot... UA is excluded from the online deal!
Old 15th February 2012
Lives for gear

I don't see received. I see "special order"...

Non returnable item.
Old 15th February 2012
Gear Head

Just noticed that Guitar Center item description says "+ Thunderbolt I/O Option Bay", and the price is 2999. So, add 500 bucks if you want TB... I guess that's about the price most expected to pay, yeah?
Old 15th February 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by KBOY View Post
I don't see received. I see "special order"...

Non returnable item.
right on teh picture in yellow I see JUST ARRIVED
Old 16th February 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by climber View Post
right on teh picture in yellow I see JUST ARRIVED
That just means it's a new product in there inventory, doesn't necessarily mean it's in stock though.
Old 16th February 2012
Lives for gear

Hey folks!!

Just thought that I would ask here, in case someone put their hands in Apollo interface, as I'm a RME Die Hard users, just curious to know how you would compare UA Apollo versus RME Fireface 800? I know that up till this day RME has never failed with their Rock Solid Drivers unmatched but this is simple curiosity as I was planning to upgrade my RME Multiface to the Fireface 800 and when I saw the Apollo, I stopped and say I would investigate more (i know there is the DSP on board card etc.. etc.. in the Apollo) and I'm very use to RME Sound. I've also used UA converters and Mic Pre's.

Just wondering if anyone especially an RME users who would happen to make comparisons of both & hear some feedbacks.

Thanx in advance
Old 16th February 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solar View Post
Hey folks!!

Just thought that I would ask here, in case someone put their hands in Apollo interface, as I'm a RME Die Hard users, just curious to know how you would compare UA Apollo versus RME Fireface 800? I know that up till this day RME has never failed with their Rock Solid Drivers unmatched but this is simple curiosity as I was planning to upgrade my RME Multiface to the Fireface 800 and when I saw the Apollo, I stopped and say I would investigate more (i know there is the DSP on board card etc.. etc.. in the Apollo) and I'm very use to RME Sound. I've also used UA converters and Mic Pre's.

Just wondering if anyone especially an RME users who would happen to make comparisons of both & hear some feedbacks.

Thanx in advance
Don't worry. It's inevitable. The RME UFX is the device that is going to go head-to-head with the Apollo. We'll probably hear most reviews in terms relative to the RME UFX.
Old 16th February 2012
Lives for gear

@Category 5

Exactly I more meant the Fireface UFX instead of the 800. Can not wait honestly to get a review or i'll also check when it arrives here in Canada Montreal to grab both and A/B them !

Thanx
Old 16th February 2012
Lives for gear

Universal Audios reaction to this thread:

Old 16th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_455 View Post
Wow 1200+ posts!!!! This product is going to sell!!!
No doubt judging by the numbers jumping on the buying bandwagon sight unseen.

However, lets weigh up the signal to noise on this thread first shall we , then delete the speculation by those that have never seen/heard it, skip past the fanboi hysteria of it being some revolutionary "game changer" , and you'll get a fairer idea of the real state of play.

I'm still waiting for some confirmation on the controller/drivers , without those bases covered, the rest will quickly pale...
Old 16th February 2012
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAFKAT View Post
No doubt judging by the numbers jumping on the buying bandwagon sight unseen.

However, lets weigh up the signal to noise on this thread first shall we , then delete the speculation by those that have never seen/heard it, skip past the fanboi hysteria of it being some revolutionary "game changer" , and you'll get a fairer idea of the real state of play.

I'm still waiting for some confirmation on the controller/drivers , without those bases covered, the rest will quickly pale...
Indeed, a lot of speculation and assumptions based on vapor.
Old 16th February 2012
Lives for gear

Vapor implies that we don't know whether it actually exists yet or will be released in the future.

This product is real and functioning and shipping to dealers.

What we don't know yet is how it sounds.
Old 16th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solar View Post
@Category 5

Exactly I more meant the Fireface UFX instead of the 800. Can not wait honestly to get a review or i'll also check when it arrives here in Canada Montreal to grab both and A/B them !

Thanx
Let me know when you will do it, i'm in mtl and curious about that also
Old 16th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macaroni View Post

Vapor implies that we don't know whether it actually exists yet or will be released in the future.

This product is real and functioning and shipping to dealers.

There is a lot more than that we don't know.. !

We have no idea how the drivers perform, with the caveats attached to the UAD Satellite via FW800 , the added overhead of the I/O , etc will just further add to the known issues.

The promise of this unit delivering the performance as hyped is totally based on its Thunderbolt interconnectivity , which is at this present time, Vaporware !
Old 16th February 2012
Gear interested

I'm thinking "China" at that price point.........Hope I'm wrong.
Old 16th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLertch View Post
What's wrong with that? Good gear can be made anywhere, crappy gear can be made anywhere. It's what you invest in quality control. Why do you care where a circuit board is assembled?

You could make something in the US, but you'd be assembling it with components made in Asia.
Old 16th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLertch View Post
I wonder if it makes sense for them to go the Playstation/X-Box route,
sell the hardware break-even or even a loss and make it back on software sales.
Old 16th February 2012
Lives for gear
I'm thinking they had to make this box from already done R&D to hit this pricepoint! I figure we got two 4-710D's( or maybe the transimpedence pre's they had in that monitor controller that never sold well) and a UAD card put together! The question becomes can they write and keep up to date good cross platform Audio drivers? Will it work on a pro level without the Thunderbolt connection? That's alot of bandwidth for a Firewire port! What about guys like me with Sample libraries on Firewire Drives?

If all this works and the thunderbolt is for real and not a pipedream like RME at this point, they will sale a ton of these because even project guys could consider it! Guys that Write and Record on a high level in private facilities could consider it! It appeared to be working quite well in the NAMM demonstration but that was not a very heavy session! If it breaks the trend of half baked products, other companies are in trouble!

Last, Does anyone know if you can send stems back to the Console software from your DAW? I do this with my UFX. If the Apollo does this you could build a mix using UAD plug ins at there Console software. Hosting the plugs at the faster latency. Then I could use UAD plug ins at the writing stage without the severe latency. I would buy it for that alone!
Old 16th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reborn View Post

Last, Does anyone know if you can send stems back to the Console software from your DAW? I do this with my UFX. If the Apollo does this you could build a mix using UAD plug ins at there Console software. Hosting the plugs at the faster latency. Then I could use UAD plug ins at the writing stage without the severe latency. I would buy it for that alone!
Ahh... never got to try this on my Fireface. Is the UFX 40bit too, or gone up to 48?

Either case, I doubt its because of the math in itself. I truly believe it be some voodoo RME concocted in their driver for the demultiplexing stage. I mean, yeah, summing on a cross-talked board with op-amps if one thing, VCC emulates this... but summing on a pristine, math precise, zero artifact free DSP matrix makes absolute no sense at all in terms of instrument separation.

Having said that, I do clearly remember hearing examples here on threads that absolutely did convince me

About the drivers: I went from FF800 (industry DSP de-facto unchallenged nº1) to the MR816x because of sonic improvement - quite astonishingly superior (at launch and for a long time, nothing but horror stories about the drivers and FW)

Though my workflow has changed a bit, never had a single hick-up on Windows 7. Even doing location work tracking 16 Channels, mind you, with direct monitoring, not hogging the buffer. But I have gone down to 64 samples and it worked fine! On location, I mixed an album through USB with track counts superior to 100.

Now, for everyone worrying about the drivers... I sincerely doubt OSX will have any sort of gripe. There is a reason why Windows user will have to wait for the summer to know if the drivers are good.

Now consider this, for speculation...

Anyone who has worked in a company, or has set one up, knows that the first years/products will haves to make up for all the setting-up costs until the return of investment or break even. As UA have certainly recouped on all their line (namely, the DSP section, hardware is much more permissive in total amount of man hours) - it will mean that a slight change in production to make a UAD2 fit in Apollo will cost them peanuts, as there is no R&D to account for.

Likewise, as a renown preamp company, they surely didn't re-invent the wheel here, they just headed down to the warehouse and slapped 4 discrete FET clean and whistle (color) free preamp onto the thing. Surely, in the near future, they'll do the Focusrite-style preamp modeling thing...? (my 0.2c)

Lastly, converters. Likewise, R&D is done, maybe just the extra notch to accommodate for the integration of the DSP console, but nothing major. I am still awe-struck with my MR816, and that has 8 pre's, costs less than the FF800 and completely smokes it out of the water! The more you sell, the lower your margins can be. Yamaha/Steiny can afford to seriously cut down on the starting price.

Specially converter technology has come a looooong way. We all know that the analog path to it is much more important than the converter chip itself. UA is an unquestioned "analog path company" - with historic legacy on the subject.

Therefore, in perfect speculation, I can't wait to hear it myself. My only "fear" is that the built in pre's be too clean for my taste... but hey, that why we like to choose our own pre's right? To each his own...
Old 16th February 2012
Lives for gear

It's Chinese all the way.. UAD cards are phillipian made. It's sounds like 2 4-710 too me hope I'm totally wrong.
Old 16th February 2012
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macaroni View Post
It's vapor. You don't know how it sounds or performs yet people are selling their audio interfaces (UFX etc) to get one sight unseen and debating how good it is or not. heh
Old 16th February 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animus View Post
It's vapor. You don't know how it sounds or performs yet people are selling their audio interfaces (UFX etc) to get one sight unseen and debating how good it is or not. heh
It's not vapor. People have seen and heard it, if they went to NAMM. There are recordings made with it online. Those selling interfaces probably want UAD plug ins and to get it with an interface all in one unit is fantastic. Plus, it is the only way to have UAD plugs while tracking.
Old 16th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbone View Post
Let me know when you will do it, i'm in mtl and curious about that also
Will sure do mate! Which area of MTL are you? And indeed am very very curious to check out these two in hand before purchase
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search