The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Altiverb 7 Released
Old 8th December 2011
  #1
Gear Maniac
 

Altiverb 7 Released

Altiverb 7
"Altiverb. The original, professional convolution reverb."

New website online:
Audio Ease Altiverb. The original, professional convolution reverb.

Enjoy.
Old 8th December 2011
  #2
Lives for gear
 
NoVi's Avatar
Upgrade price for me as Altiverb6 owner is 159 euro. Not bad.
Old 8th December 2011
  #3
Gear Head
 

Note: The Windows version is NOT available yet and there is no timeline given for when it will be available. In addition, the order process will NOT tell you this and will let you happily buy version 7.

//Tomi B.
Old 8th December 2011
  #4
Dz7
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by docBliny View Post
Note: The Windows version is NOT available yet and there is no timeline given for when it will be available. In addition, the order process will NOT tell you this and will let you happily buy version 7.

//Tomi B.
It clearly says Mac Only on the site.

Anyways, Audio Ease has been very gracious in allowing customers who purchased Altiverb after January 2010 to upgrade freely. This says a lot about their customer appreciation (let's not get into another Avid discussion!)

Last edited by Dz7; 8th December 2011 at 09:09 PM.. Reason: 2010 not 2011
Old 8th December 2011
  #5
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dz7 View Post
It clearly says Mac Only on the site.

Anyways, Audio Ease has been very gracious in allowing customers who purchased Altiverb after January 2011 to upgrade freely. This says a lot about their customer appreciation (let's not get into another Avid discussion!)
Just installed it.
Works amazingly well, and is backward compatible. The project I was working on automatically updated to AV7. Also works well in Logic 32bit.

Really, that is the stuff. Very clean interface, the new features are excellent.
Old 8th December 2011
  #6
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dz7 View Post
It clearly says Mac Only on the site.
I challenge that. It does not clearly state it. If you go to Audio Ease Altiverb. The original, professional convolution reverb and then hit "Buy Now" which seems like a logical flow, you are not informed.

The only spot on the product page that says "Mac Only" is related to "Altiverb 7 XL ($ 995) adds support for TDM (Mac only)" which is pretty easy to read that TDM is Mac only.

The order form actually asks you for your OS and DAW and doesn't inform you that it's Mac only.

Just bringing this up so people don't get burnt.

//Tomi B.
Old 8th December 2011
  #7
Here for the gear
 
MILO.DROME's Avatar
 

Hell yeah. Best one in town. PERIOD
Old 8th December 2011
  #8
Dz7
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by docBliny View Post
I challenge that. It does not clearly state it. If you go to Audio Ease Altiverb. The original, professional convolution reverb and then hit "Buy Now" which seems like a logical flow, you are not informed.

The only spot on the product page that says "Mac Only" is related to "Altiverb 7 XL ($ 995) adds support for TDM (Mac only)" which is pretty easy to read that TDM is Mac only.

The order form actually asks you for your OS and DAW and doesn't inform you that it's Mac only.

Just bringing this up so people don't get burnt.

//Tomi B.
Sorry, you are right! My apologies!

I just re-looked and it is the All-In bundle that is clearly marked on the store page. The "Altiverb Regular" is not. That being said, the upgrade email I received said that the store would continue to sell V6 for Windows and make V7 available at a later date, so I think that by "buying" V7, when you list your OS you are actually sold V6 with a free V7 upgrade. Best to confirm with them though.
Old 8th December 2011
  #9
Dz7
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xill View Post
Just installed it.
Works amazingly well, and is backward compatible. The project I was working on automatically updated to AV7. Also works well in Logic 32bit.

Really, that is the stuff. Very clean interface, the new features are excellent.
In the midst of downloading, I'm excited!
Old 8th December 2011
  #10
TNM
Lives for gear
One of my favourite products of all time and now a necessary purchase being 64 bit AU.

If speakerphone follows suit i will be a happy camper!
Old 8th December 2011
  #11
Lives for gear
 
Steamy Williams's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVi View Post
Upgrade price for me as Altiverb6 owner is 159 euro. Not bad.
Do you have the Regular version?
Old 8th December 2011
  #12
Lives for gear
 

If you go the UPGRADE ROUTE, it VERY CLEARLY states that it is MAC only and that the Windows version is not available yet.

If you are a first time buyer, you may be right because I had no reason to check that out.
Old 8th December 2011
  #13
Lives for gear
 
clonewar's Avatar
 

It specifically says "No Windows version yet" with dedicated info under System Requirements.. I'm not sure who would actually purchase software without checking system requirements first, but I recommend always checking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dz7 View Post
Anyways, Audio Ease has been very gracious in allowing customers who purchased Altiverb after January 2011 to upgrade freely.
Actually it says that anyone who purchase Altiverb 6 in 2010 or 2011 gets version 7 for free.. Very nice!
Old 8th December 2011
  #14
For those on the PC side, Altiverb 7 is not yet available, however, if you purchase Altiverb 7 (regular or XL) today you will receive a version 6 license as well as a version 7 license AND you will get a free upgrade to version 7 as soon as the PC version is released.
Old 8th December 2011
  #15
Lives for gear
 
e-cue's Avatar
 

Got it. Inital impressions...

Worth the long wait.

Worth the upgrade costs.
Old 8th December 2011
  #16
Dz7
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by clonewar View Post
It specifically says "No Windows version yet" with dedicated info under System Requirements.. I'm not sure who would actually purchase software without checking system requirements first, but I recommend always checking.



Actually it says that anyone who purchase Altiverb 6 in 2010 or 2011 gets version 7 for free.. Very nice!
Wow I'm on a roll today. 2010, that is even more amazing!
Old 8th December 2011
  #17
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dz7 View Post
In the midst of downloading, I'm excited!
Make sure you update your iLok drivers before launching the installer. The installer couldn't see my key at first and I freaked out for a minute.
Old 8th December 2011
  #18
Lives for gear
 
NoVi's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamy Williams View Post
Do you have the Regular version?
I'm not really sure what versions are out there, but I have the non-TDM version.
Old 8th December 2011
  #19
Lives for gear
 
audiomichael's Avatar
 

Wow. Kinda pricey upgrade...no?
Old 8th December 2011
  #20
Lives for gear
 
EddieTheRed's Avatar
 

I didn't think this day would ever actually come.
Old 8th December 2011
  #21
Gear Maniac
 

And after all this time....

It still feels SO good to be downloading the update. Congrats to the guys for getting this out there. I'm looking forward to using it!

One might even call it Christmas. (Camel updates, this... and LASS2.0 around the corner!!!)

Brendan.
Old 9th December 2011
  #22
Lives for gear
 
AcoosticZoo's Avatar
Really excited to try the new algorithmic brightening feature. Downloading now... <60 mins for a 3+ GB download is pretty fast - loving the full download packaged with every IR available keeps things simple.

I noticed a "modulation" feature for the reverb tail on their youtube video... this is v. interesting, it's intended to give some movement/randomness to an IR.

It appears altiverb 7 has taken the stock IR technology to a new level here, with new features like algorithmic brightness, modulation n ease of use (not to mention Backwards compatibility with 5 n 6). Also making your own IR is easier now with drag and drop in audio regions from "snapper".

Regards
Josef Horhay
Mixing Engineer
www.acoosticzoo.com
Old 9th December 2011
  #23
Lives for gear
 
AcoosticZoo's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiomichael View Post
Wow. Kinda pricey upgrade...no?
Yup..

I thought so too. Considering this was the first software IR reverb to be released, and feeling a bit of nostalgic here. For me, It's been 10+ years now since version 3 running it on a Mirrored Door G4.

Although the IR are the same, the way Audioease has approached v7 is groundbreaking and a step in the right direction.

On features and quality alone, this version 7 is amazing, haven't compared it to Quantum Leap Spaces yet though. Quantum leap focuses on recreating a musical IR - quite a novel way of approaching IR's - and it's this point of difference that sets it apart from the competition... Personally, I'd love to be able to load/purchase the IR's from Quantum Leap Space and use it in Altiverb 7.

Just had to cop the asking price and go for it... I said it before but yea it's got backwards compatibility and heaps of new features.
Old 9th December 2011
  #24
Lives for gear
 
audiomichael's Avatar
 

I'll have to investigate a bit further. Perhaps I missed some things while watching the intro vid. It seemed like the upgrade was largely cosmetic, and utility functionality... as well as a bright knob. I guess I'm just a big hesitant to upgrade because Altiverb 6 already sounds fantastic. Modulation would be great... someone mentioned that, but I didn't see it in the intro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcoosticZoo View Post
Yup..

I thought so too. Considering this was the first software IR reverb to be released, and feeling a bit of nostalgic here. For me, It's been 10+ years now since version 3 running it on a Mirrored Door G4.

Although the IR are the same, the way Audioease has approached v7 is groundbreaking and a step in the right direction.

On features and quality alone, this version 7 is amazing, haven't compared it to Quantum Leap Spaces yet though. Quantum leap focuses on recreating a musical IR - quite a novel way of approaching IR's - and it's this point of difference that sets it apart from the competition... Personally, I'd love to be able to load/purchase the IR's from Quantum Leap Space and use it in Altiverb 7.

Just had to cop the asking price and go for it... I said it before but yea it's got backwards compatibility and heaps of new features.
Old 9th December 2011
  #25
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcoosticZoo View Post
Yup..

I thought so too. Considering this was the first software IR reverb to be released, and feeling a bit of nostalgic here. For me, It's been 10+ years now since version 3 running it on a Mirrored Door G4.

Although the IR are the same, the way Audioease has approached v7 is groundbreaking and a step in the right direction.

On features and quality alone, this version 7 is amazing, haven't compared it to Quantum Leap Spaces yet though. Quantum leap focuses on recreating a musical IR - quite a novel way of approaching IR's - and it's this point of difference that sets it apart from the competition... Personally, I'd love to be able to load/purchase the IR's from Quantum Leap Space and use it in Altiverb 7.

Just had to cop the asking price and go for it... I said it before but yea it's got backwards compatibility and heaps of new features.
I find it amazing; you won't regret it one bit. There is so much flexibility in there.
But just the feel of the new browser window and search engine, the interface design, having test sounds triggered when you make a change, making custom IR from drag and drop and hearing them instantly , everything is much easier.

Now I want new halls!

I'm very skeptic about Space IR technology, honestly I do not really believe much into having instrument-specific IRs. From the distance the public is from the string section considering that sound is not emanating in a direct linear space specially when meters away, I can't see how turning the speaker toward the ceiling would be "more realistic", specially considering a musician will always intend to project his sound toward the audience.
Old 9th December 2011
  #26
Lives for gear
 
AcoosticZoo's Avatar
Just tried it guys... WOW. Absolutely Brilliant.

Here's what I like so far:

1. The "simliar" suggestion button. AMEN. Previously, half the battle with large IR libraries was trying to locate and audition the right room/equiment IR (a very tedious task). With this cool new suggest similar feature, I'm finding it a hundred times easier (and more fun) to explore/audition various IR's. in application, the transition between selecting different IR's is very quick and smooth - no sudden drop outs or pops in audio - imho a better way of "surfing" for cool reverb sounds.

2. The bright knob gives old/existing IR reverbs a very cool hi-end modern sound... this effectively gives IR's a ridiculous amount of flexibility, power and character. I find it adds a nice smooth tone/color to the existing IR's - different than just using a EQ to add brightness. I've A/B'd it with and without brightness and can honestly say that this is a truly a breakthrough in IR's tech. The flexible and quality of this feature is (I hate to say it) a "game Changer" for IR reverbs = that's how awesome it is. You'll find your Old IR's has the potential to be transformed into something quite special and zingy/lush with this one simple "brightness" algorithm. Granted it's IR convolution tech based on real room, the reverb now doesn't have to be locked-in tonally to the source - it now can blossom into something more (if you so desire). I found the "Brightness" control gives the reverb (when adjusted properly) more bite/character and lushness.

3. The modulation feature is found under the "time" section along with ER, Tail, Direct Blend levels. I played around with the modulation and it made me smile. The combination of Brightness Control (via new brightness algo) and modulation have been implemented in a very usable/musical way. Hello, where have u been all my IR mixing life?

4. 64 bit! yes. No more need for meter bridge.

5. Snappy quick Easy n Powerful UI. This is a very big deal. Yes you get the same quality sound of Altiverb 6, but with Altiverb 7, accessing / auditioning the large set of IR's have become a fun thing to do - and it needs to be fun cos the large set of included IR's is simply ridiculously huge.

6. Pictures Pictures Pictures. It's silly i know but I can use visual cues to help me remember which room I liked. Makes a difference for me atleast. some random name place hall is hard to imagine what it sounds like - but with a glossy photo = Yup.. u could atleast guess/project what it would sound like. Makes searching/exploring for suitable IR's more interesting and fun.

Missing / Requested Feature:

I've probably overlooked it, but how do you A/B something in Altiverb 7? I found I had to use the "snapshots" to go between two settings - no big deal. But it would be nice to have the A/B setting simliar to what you find in Waves plugins.
Old 9th December 2011
  #27
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcoosticZoo View Post
Missing / Requested Feature:

I've probably overlooked it, but how do you A/B something in Altiverb 7? I found I had to use the "snapshots" to go between two settings - no big deal. But it would be nice to have the A/B setting simliar to what you find in Waves plugins.
Do you have a control surface?
With my Avid Artist Control I can go to the snapshot parameter and fly through them by turning a knob.
Old 9th December 2011
  #28
Lives for gear
IS there a demo yet?
Old 9th December 2011
  #29
Lives for gear
 

$215 US

wondering if there will be an "All In Bundle" price or what? for people who bought the bundle that savings will vanish (especially when updates for the other plug ins are available) if they don't have some kind of upgrade path.
Old 9th December 2011
  #30
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by clonewar View Post
Actually it says that anyone who purchase Altiverb 6 in 2010 or 2011 gets version 7 for free.. Very nice!

Just my luck. I went back and checked my receipt and I bought mine Nov 22 of 2009. Missed saving $215 by less than 45 days....Sucks!

Oh well, I will check it out at NAMM and maybe be persuaded to bite the bullet and do it.
๐Ÿ“ Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 158 views: 35764
Avatar for DarkSky Media
DarkSky Media 28th July 2016
replies: 3913 views: 678672
Avatar for Jesse Skeens
Jesse Skeens 10th September 2020
replies: 63 views: 21321
Avatar for stephent28
stephent28 8th December 2011
replies: 533 views: 61727
Avatar for b0gus
b0gus 28th July 2020
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
๐Ÿ–จ๏ธ Show Printable Version
โœ‰๏ธ Email this Page
๐Ÿ” Search thread
๐ŸŽ™๏ธ View mentioned gear
Forum Jump
Forum Jump