The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Nomad Factory Magnetic 2
Old 16th November 2011
Lives for gear
Nomad Factory Magnetic 2

I've just discovered this new v2 plugin from Nomad Factory with a lot of Tape emulations to choose:
Nomad Factory Creative Software Company
Yeah!!
Old 16th November 2011
Lives for gear

20$ upgrade
Old 16th November 2011
Lives for gear
I'd really be interested in what people think of this. Well - I guess I could demo the thing. I've been balking at the UAD Ampex price.
Old 16th November 2011
Lives for gear

Ouuuuuuuuuuuualllaaaaa!!!

Its getting serious every day in tha plugin world! Me like me loooove! Already loved version 1, so V2 is very tempting and gonna grab this one too!!

Thanx for the heads up!!

Old 16th November 2011
Son of a B... just upgraded and the Dont Crack site had an error now I gotta wait up to 48 hours for this I want it now

20 bones if you already have the first, its a no brainier... Its got a flutter knob.
Old 16th November 2011
Lives for gear

I figured $20 for the upgrade...why bother demoing.

It is nice!! I spent a little time comparing it to the old version on drums and guitars, and there is an audible difference at the same settings. The saturation seems to have more depth and roundness. It definitely feels like an improvement. The different tape machine styles shape the saturation in useful ways. I am curious how this thing will hold up used on lots of tracks, and the master bus. I look forward to digging deeper.

The wow / flutter knob is really nice in small amounts, but it clouds things up considerably when cranked - probably not a surprise there.

I will say it is really hard to use at the moment. I'm hoping for a quick update which fixes this problem: It does not report latency correctly, at least in the RTAS version. It looks like there are 972 samples of delay, and it reports 64. Please fix this soon, NF! Otherwise, great job.

It is worth noting that the old version reports 64 samples of delay, but there is none. This has been a minor PITA, but the new version is way too far off to be useable at the moment.
Old 16th November 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyjneilson View Post
Son of a B... just upgraded and the Dont Crack site had an error now I gotta wait up to 48 hours for this I want it now

20 bones if you already have the first, its a no brainier... Its got a flutter knob.
I got this message too, but you can still download and try it out. It remembers settings when activated / deactivated which is nice.
Old 16th November 2011
Tui
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyjneilson View Post
Its got a flutter knob.
heh
Old 16th November 2011
Gear Nut

I bought the integral studio pack which included magnetic 1 about a year ago from dontcrack.com. How do you get the upgrade price to magnetic 2 ?? Doesn't seem like an option exists?
Old 16th November 2011
I demo'ed it for a couple of minutes and loved it, so i bought it. Got the same error though so i'll have to wait for it. No biggie though as i wasnt planing on working tonight. Man it did sound nice, just trying out presets the 1200 was probably my favourite, seemed to hold up in the highs the best.
Old 16th November 2011
Lives for gear

I didn't like it at all, too artificial, in my opinion. I read the manual, tried different settings, disabled/enabled some features, etc., I never got one setting I liked on different material. I guess it's just not for me.

Cheers
Old 16th November 2011
Gear Guru

compared to waves mpx ?
Old 16th November 2011
Lives for gear

I never really got along with the original but I gave this a try. I still don't care for the saturation and I don't think it handles dynamics in a very tape-like manner. The new tape modes sound very static to me, like EQ curves or impulse responses. Just a first impression but so far not enough to make me want to spring for it.
Old 16th November 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingocounty View Post
I never really got along with the original but I gave this a try. I still don't care for the saturation and I don't think it handles dynamics in a very tape-like manner. The new tape modes sound very static to me, like EQ curves or impulse responses. Just a first impression but so far not enough to make me want to spring for it.
"Static", yeah, that's an excellent word to describe what I heard.

@Jeezo:
I never tried that MPX, my demo license expired before I could demo it. Maybe I'll grab that "Tape, tubes and transistors" bundle next year because I've always wanted that PIE compressor, I don't know, I still need to decide between the CLA-2A/3A, elysia alpha, TLA-100 or RS124 heh I wish I could buy them all at once.
Old 16th November 2011
Lives for gear
The old one was a cool-ish effect but never found real
use in projects for me, the old one had some sort of gritty
feeling that I didn't like, way too "lo-fi" at any setting
curious to see if the new models change that
and give different texture, and most important if there
are more subtle effects.
Even after buying Waves MPX I realize I'm not a big
fan of all the tape sims, on the other hand, i think
Decapitator is still king (while not a tape sim)
Old 16th November 2011
Lives for gear

Downloaded. Trying right now. Not convinced to upgrade.
Old 16th November 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by eigens View Post
I bought the integral studio pack which included magnetic 1 about a year ago from dontcrack.com. How do you get the upgrade price to magnetic 2 ?? Doesn't seem like an option exists?
As a previous owner of Integral Studio Pack you just download the latest
installer and enjoy Magnetic II...it is a free upgrade from Nomad Factory.
Old 16th November 2011
Gear Addict

...or a $99 upgrade to the Integral Studio Pack.

I can't remember seeing anyone getting excited about the Blue Tubes /Essential/Liquid bundles but the Motown, Altec and Pulse-tec EQs seem like like they might be worth a punt. How about the Neve-a-like "British Bundle"?
Old 16th November 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by gingataff View Post
...or a $99 upgrade to the Integral Studio Pack.

I can't remember seeing anyone getting excited about the Blue Tubes /Essential/Liquid bundles but the Motown, Altec and Pulse-tec EQs seem like like they might be worth a punt. How about the Neve-a-like "British Bundle"?
The British Bundle EQ is very good.
I don't use the compressor very much.
Old 16th November 2011
Lives for gear

any1 made magII working in Logic? Still got AU validation crash
Old 16th November 2011
Lives for gear

Purchased upgrade, will check it out tonight. Thanks for the post, I wouldn't have known otherwise as Nomad still don't send newsletters
Old 16th November 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshleySmith06 View Post
I wouldn't have known otherwise as Nomad still don't send newsletters
Yeah. This is a big thumbs down for Nomad.
Old 16th November 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by scalawag View Post
Yeah. This is a big thumbs down for Nomad.
True that
Old 16th November 2011
Lives for gear

Looks like their whole customer service/support and activation section is down. I couldn't even send in an e-mail to report the activation issue.

I wrote this... So hope someone from Nomad reads it.

Quote:
Hi,

Your activation service is currently down, so I am unable to register and activate my purchased product. Please can you tell me when this will be rectified.

Also, please note that the support section "system" box needs updating to reflect OSX 10.7, and I kindly ask you produce a newsletter again to customers as I had to find out about this upgrade (and too for new releases/builds of products) via Gearslutz. You really need to do a newsletter, please!!

I hope activation service is sorted asap.

I look forward to your swift reply.

Kind regards,

Ashley

Anyone know how to get in touch with them (the owner Bernie Torelli) directly via e-mail?
Old 16th November 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by poshook View Post
any1 made magII working in Logic? Still got AU validation crash
Same here. No luck validating in logic. 32 or 64.
Old 16th November 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznyc View Post
Same here. No luck validating in logic. 32 or 64.
Same here - crashes auvaltool

Logic Pro 9.1.5 running under Mac OS X 10.7.2 (Lion).

I have provided this information to the Nomad Factory team.
Old 16th November 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Morrison

I have provided this information to the Nomad Factory team.
How? Is their site support section up and running again?

Edit; Product activation/registration now works. Sending support a message again regarding the newsletter. I hope they reply.
Old 16th November 2011
Gear Head

Nomad authorization working

the nomad authorization page its working already did mine

Old 16th November 2011
got mine up and running. It is obviouse this is not like a tape machine... it is a plug in and I dont expect it to be a real live ampex but it is a great tool which provides me with sounds that i cannot achieve otherwise. So for me the upgrade was a way to simply expand, plus I can still use magnetic and Magnetic2 in the same session so I basically got another dynamics/eq/tape emu for 20 bucks... not bad !
Old 16th November 2011
Lives for gear

UA has upped the bar on tape sims. This and the Yamaha sim are going backwards. They both came up real small.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search