The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Nomad Factory Magnetic 2
Old 3rd December 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeezo View Post
compared to waves mpx ?
I use the Magnetic on every mix I do, I just upgraded to the integral studio pack 3 and damn, I'm loving it! I've tried them and I really liked their Pultec EQ and thought it was just as good as the waves, if not better.

The MPX and the Magnetic are two different beasts and the MPX does more harmonic content and more harmonic frequencies. I tested them using a sine wave at 910 hz that Andy Cytomic.

Now, I prefer the Magnetic over the Waves because the Magnetic gets me 90 percent there and uses 10 % of the processing power of the MPX, perhaps even lower.

I can run about 2 MPX's and have the same CPU load as 20-25 Magnetics. But that's just my experience on my DAW.

In the end they are similar as they are both tape emulations, but their approach on how to mold the sound and how the function is totally different. Two cups of different kinds of coffee. That both taste good on different things!

Peace!
Min
Old 11th December 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by mista min View Post
I use the Magnetic on every mix I do, I just upgraded to the integral studio pack 3 and damn, I'm loving it! I've tried them and I really liked their Pultec EQ and thought it was just as good as the waves, if not better...
Hi Min,

Thanks for the great testimonial ! We've received great feedback and the Nomad Factory winter promotions are doing more than well !

I'm glad to see our promotions brings hi interest for Nomad's products as they definitely can be compared to any other major plug-in manufacturers.

For those of you that doubt, please do download the latest full demos and try them for your self...

Thanks and all the best - Peter
Old 13th December 2011
Lives for gear

Anyone else still having that problem I stated earlier, re Magnetic II not processing audio after a while? It just turns off. You have to re-instantiate it to get it back working.

Still no response from Nomad Factory Tech Support either.

Old 13th December 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macaroni View Post
Anyone else still having that problem I stated earlier, re Magnetic II not processing audio after a while? It just turns off. You have to re-instantiate it to get it back working.

Hey Macaroni!

What is your DAW you're using? Because just fired up MII inside Reaper and did all the possible rendering you can imagine, from boucing an audio part inserting MII or inserting MII in the master buss Main or Apply Fx to track output and render perfectly.

Did the same exercise inside Stuido One V2, Cubase 5.3.1 and all is working like a charm here.

The only thing I find as a bug is that when you Disable and Enable the Plugin, there is always an audio Spike when you engage or dis-engage the plugin. Annoying a bit.
Old 13th December 2011
Lives for gear

I'm using the latest Logic 9 on Lion 10.7.2.
Old 13th December 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:

If you haven't already, you probably should try an uninstall/reinstall. (Make sure the AU shows to be removed from the component folder before reinstall)

-SD
Old 17th December 2011
Gear Head

I love Magnetic, I'd been umming and ah-ing about doing the $99 upgrade to the Integral pack. In the end, I just wanted to keep my plugin folder from getting out of control, and just updated Magnetic for £13 or so.

I couldn't tell you how accurate the models and behaviour are, and to be honest I couldn't care less. But I love the extra range of tones the various tape models give.

I was mixing quite an idiosyncratic track today, a mix of various different styles. Old school hip hop beats (sampled hits, no hyper 808s here), unorthodox MC, ukulele (or Banjolele to be more accurate), barbershop backing vocals. I used M2 on the drums to toughen them up, gelling the hits and the percussion together. The EQ was well tuned for these sounds, and the effect was instantly pleasing, even just using the regular Magnetic mode. I put an instance in front of each main vocal track, tickling it with the tiniest bit of saturation and EQ. Another instance on the barbershop vocals bus, set to 7.5ips - I flicked through the models until I managed to get the sort of tone I was after - old fashioned, but still with enough clarity.

That bug mentioned earlier - click followed by no sound, requiring a Pro Tools restart (and sometimes a reboot) - used to get that all the time with Magnetic. Latest version seems to have fixed it for me, and no sign of it with M2.

Oh, and I concur - Nomad Factory's authorisation is a bit on the laborious side. I've also seen it fall over in the past, requiring a lot of fooling around with auth files to get it sorted.
Old 30th December 2011
Lives for gear

Anyone know if there have been any updates?

The site hasn't been updated to reflect there's a new version 2 out...

Nomad FAQ Updates Info
Old 30th December 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshleySmith06 View Post
Anyone know if there have been any updates?

The site hasn't been updated to reflect there's a new version 2 out...

Nomad FAQ Updates Info
I believe so...I know I re-downloaded it recently and my latency problems went away. I don't think it was clear from their site that there had been a revision.
Old 30th December 2011
Lives for gear

Cheers, I'll grab the latest download on the site. That FAQ doesn't show version 2, it only shows version 1.5 in the list.
Old 30th December 2011
Gear Nut

On the product download page it now has the date of the last updated installers: 11-20-11 as of right now. HTH
Old 30th December 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo21 View Post
On the product download page it now has the date of the last updated installers: 11-20-11 as of right now. HTH
Thanks, just caught that.

The whole site needs a revamp IMHO. Magnetic 2 is not shown in the products page, nor in that FAQ.
Old 30th December 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontCrack View Post
Hi Min,
For those of you that doubt, please do download the latest full demos and try them for your self...

Thanks and all the best - Peter
I haven't even been able to download it... is there any geographical restriction...?
Old 30th December 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by apolo View Post
I haven't even been able to download it... is there any geographical restriction...?
Well I think Nomad servers might be very busy as there are only a few hours left for the HOT promos...

No there are no geographical restrictions...

Thanks - Peter
Old 30th December 2011
Lives for gear

After another try, I thought I'll go for the 20$ upgrade...BUT...I entered my Mag 1 auth. filze, got a redeem code for Don'tCrack...but doesn't accept it (It wants me to pay 79$ instead of 20)

Actually it said my redeem code IS valid but for some other reason (don't remember) I was refused.

Can't find a contact on D.C. site either...Peter, pls get back to me here. Thanks!
Old 30th December 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrAudioBot View Post
After another try, I thought I'll go for the 20$ upgrade...BUT...I entered my Mag 1 auth. filze, got a redeem code for Don'tCrack...but doesn't accept it (It wants me to pay 79$ instead of 20)

Can't find a contact on D.C. site either...Pls get back to me here. Thanks!
Please use this link to process Magnetic upgrade at $20 with your voucher coupon.

Thanks - Peter
Old 30th December 2011
Lives for gear

Oh great! Thanks (lucky you were online) working fine
Old 30th December 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrAudioBot View Post
Oh great! Thanks (lucky you were online) working fine
Good to hear all is well !

Thanks for your business.

All the best - Peter
Old 12th January 2012
Gear Maniac

Problems with Nomad Factory Magnetic II in Pro Tools 10

Quote:

Hi Macaroni,

I have exactly the same problems with Magnetic II in Pro Tools 10.

All of a sudden it stops processing the sound. During mixing I often hear the instrument, that MII is placed on, disappear in the mix. It is still there but without the processing by MII. I can then move the insert to another slot and back (you'll hear a crackle) and it starts processing again.

I have had a couple of times when I'd finished my mix, bounced it to a stereo master file and then on playback discovered that an instrument drowned in the mix. It is very annoying because if you don't pay attention you start dragging the fader to get it back into the mix. The next time you then start up your session it is way too loud because MII is active again.

Keeps you on your toes though. Hope NF bring out an update soon.
Old 28th January 2012
Gear Head

So did anyone ever get to the bottom of the reported latency in Magnetic II? I'm using it in Pro Tools 10, and if I put it across the drums bus and try to use a clean parallel channel, it flanges like crazy - even with delay comp on. Read some reports elsewhere that it's reporting 64 samples of latency, when it's actually much less. Anyone managed to overcome this?
Old 29th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ant_chapman View Post
So did anyone ever get to the bottom of the reported latency in Magnetic II? I'm using it in Pro Tools 10, and if I put it across the drums bus and try to use a clean parallel channel, it flanges like crazy - even with delay comp on. Read some reports elsewhere that it's reporting 64 samples of latency, when it's actually much less. Anyone managed to overcome this?
As I recall, there was actually no latency even though it reported 64 samples. You should be able to test this pretty easily by recording it onto a track and seeing if the transients are lined up. I thought this was fixed, but then I never use Magnetic in parallel so I haven't checked. I'm pretty sure there is enough internal phase shift that it sounds weird even if time-aligned. NF posted on an old thread about this saying it was intentional and the plug is meant to be used on buses.
Old 30th January 2012
Lives for gear
Is it possible to recreate as near as possible the UAD ATR-102 with Magnetic II?
Old 2nd February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by scalawag View Post
Is it possible to recreate as near as possible the UAD ATR-102 with Magnetic II?
Man I'd love to tell you yes but having tried Magnetic I think it's safe to say that they're in completely different ball parks. The UAD so far (IMHO) is simply without any real competition right now. If you really want a native solution I'd recommend waiting for the Slate tape plug. If it's as good as his other plugs it should get you were you wanna go, PLUS it also does the 16 track 2 inch thang that no one else has. That alone is probably going to get me to add it to my UAD machines.
Hope this helps
Old 2nd February 2012
Lives for gear
Thanks dasoundjunkie. So they have a long way to go. But it's still a great sounding plugin that is not there yet....
Old 2nd February 2012
Lives for gear

FWIW, I've found that Magnetic works great on percussion

-SD
Old 6th May 2012
Here for the gear

Magnetic stop processing...

Hi everyone,

Just want to let you know I have the same problem with Magnetic, that it decreasingly stop processing over a period of time. I, using Cubase 5.5. Also got problems with Echo, that it won't process or load at all. I've been in contact with tech support but they state what everyone does when there are plugin problems - try to uninstall all your other plugins -

Kind of frustrating as I love to use Magnetic over the drum bus and has been a life saver for me on that.
Old 6th May 2012
Lives for gear

Newsletter?
Old 13th August 2012
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mushyman View Post
Hi everyone,

Just want to let you know I have the same problem with Magnetic, that it decreasingly stop processing over a period of time. I, using Cubase 5.5. Also got problems with Echo, that it won't process or load at all. I've been in contact with tech support but they state what everyone does when there are plugin problems - try to uninstall all your other plugins -

Kind of frustrating as I love to use Magnetic over the drum bus and has been a life saver for me on that.
The same problem here, but in Pro Tools 9. Still no reply from Nomad support.
Old 17th September 2012
Lives for gear
I've emailed Nomad two weeks ago and they responded "we'll check it out on our end and get back to you.". I've got no more responses since then. Magnetic II is still muting sound randomly. They really need to fix bugs...
Old 17th September 2012
Lives for gear

Please try pm'ing here, you may get a reply...

Gearslutz.com - View Profile: Nomad26
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search