The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Nomad Factory Magnetic 2
Old 18th November 2011
  #61
Lives for gear
 
johnnynash's Avatar
Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by telluride View Post
+1 not impressed
++1
Old 18th November 2011
  #62
Here for the gear
thanks for detailed helping and information. good thread!
Old 18th November 2011
  #63
Lives for gear
 
AshleySmith06's Avatar
 

What do you guys not like about it, or are you complaining of the issues re activating in Logic?

I ran it today in PT 10 just and can hear a lot of colours with the various tape emu's that will be of use in my mixes. I think you need to spend time with this and try it on a variety of instruments, see what works.

Ash
Old 18th November 2011
  #64
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshleySmith06 View Post
What do you guys not like about it, or are you complaining of the issues re activating in Logic?

I ran it today in PT 10 just and can hear a lot of colours with the various tape emu's that will be of use in my mixes. I think you need to spend time with this and try it on a variety of instruments, see what works.

Ash
Don't care for Magnetic, flat sounding eq curves, nothing like tape.
Old 18th November 2011
  #65
Lives for gear
 
Solar's Avatar
 

On my side, honestly I think it's great to have all these great companies offering "alternatives" and don't be honest, for the price they are offered, on my side, can't complain and I have to say as a Nomad Factory since, I'm in love and love the sound of it. Love the different coloration. Of course if you compare to the UAD AMPEX etc.. it will be total different story and mostly different Flavor.

And I tried this in some Master Buss Mixes in S1 and Love the character and various flavor it brings. (already a fan of Magnetic one, used it a lot in Pads, Strings to simply bring a bit of shimmer on the sound and works out very well).

And this one, is simply an add-on to the flavors.

Kudos to NF
Old 19th November 2011
  #66
Lives for gear
The question is, Magnetic 1 was a Tape emulation and it sounded great (at least for me). That was great by its own.
But now Magnetic 2 have brand names involved (Ampex, etc), so if they don't want us to shout out loud it's a scam, they have to give us an emulation that recreate that gear, just like UAD has done. Putting those names into plugin without emulating them is a scam. But i can't compare with real tapes or UAD so it's just my 2 cents....
Old 19th November 2011
  #67
Lives for gear
 
lobsterinn's Avatar
I'm not terribly concerned with how Magnetic 2 compares to other tape sims, mainly because I don't think that is its strongest point - although it is much better now. It has other, more idiosyncratic uses.

The tape speed functions as a quick and easy way to push things forward and back in the mix (like having the tape speed be 15 ips on the bass to push it behind the drums or vocals, to add some depth to reverb returns, etc.). This seems to be a deeper process than I can get with just eq curves - or at least quicker and more intuitive.

The compressor is surprisingly cool and unique. Seriously, give it a try.

The eq curves are broad and helpful sometimes, though there is some heavy-duty phase shift which can either work for or against you.

The saturation can be nice in subtle amounts, and it can go much further now, even if the tape emus are just static eq curves - this is still helpful for fine tuning.

The 'Boost' function is not so interesting to my ears, though it isn't a terrible limiter.

That's my 2 cents, anyway. It just happens to fit a creative niche for me.
Old 19th November 2011
  #68
Lives for gear
 
lobsterinn's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by scalawag View Post
The question is, Magnetic 1 was a Tape emulation and it sounded great (at least for me). That was great by its own.
But now Magnetic 2 have brand names involved (Ampex, etc), so if they don't want us to shout out loud it's a scam, they have to give us an emulation that recreate that gear, just like UAD has done. Putting those names into plugin without emulating them is a scam. But i can't compare with real tapes or UAD so it's just my 2 cents....
I'm guessing it will be about a week before someone's lawyer advises them to take those trademarked names off of their website..

I don't think it is a 'scam'. I'm sure there was some attempt to match the sonic characteristics of these different machines and tape styles. Whether or not they were as successful as UAD or Waves is another question. Keep in mind this plugin is quite cheap.
Old 19th November 2011
  #69
Lives for gear
 
Solar's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobsterinn View Post
I'm guessing it will be about a week before someone's lawyer advises them to take those trademarked names off of their website..

I don't think it is a 'scam'. I'm sure there was some attempt to match the sonic characteristics of these different machines and tape styles. Whether or not they were as successful as UAD or Waves is another question. Keep in mind this plugin is quite cheap.
Although I don't think its a "Scam" as brought by @scalawag, but I don't think that NF Company that has been in the game for a long time enough now, who are also the Dev for Spectrasonics Built-in plugins products from Stylus to Omnisphere etc... etc.. would be Stupid enough to just put those brand Name in their product without any consent.

Just my two $

Also, @scalawag, if you Can NOT compare this to REAL Tape nor UAD or Any other Real Tape plugin out there that is Far superior or that really emulate True Tape (means you haven't heard those in action yet right?), so how can you Know if this is a so called "Scam"? Just wondering

P.S Don't take my comment in a bad way, don't want to turn any Heat here. Just saying
Old 19th November 2011
  #70
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solar View Post
Although I don't think its a "Scam" as brought by @scalawag, but I don't think that NF Company that has been in the game for a long time enough now, who are also the Dev for Spectrasonics Built-in plugins products from Stylus to Omnisphere etc... etc.. would be Stupid enough to just put those brand Name in their product without any consent.

Just my two $

Also, @scalawag, if you Can NOT compare this to REAL Tape nor UAD or Any other Real Tape plugin out there that is Far superior or that really emulate True Tape (means you haven't heard those in action yet right?), so how can you Know if this is a so called "Scam"? Just wondering

P.S Don't take my comment in a bad way, don't want to turn any Heat here. Just saying
You're right, but i'm not the one saying those emulations have nothing to do with the real thing or even with UAD. There are lot of posts about that.
Old 19th November 2011
  #71
M2E
Lives for gear
 
M2E's Avatar
 

Well this is what I think so far,

1. I should have demoed the whole bundle as I just bought all of them for the $99 bucks Don't Crack Sale. Have went through half of them and so far, none of the plugins have WOW'ed me.

2. Magnetic is great. I really like that plugin. Has a different feel/color that is softer and punchy and aggressive if you want it to be. That's what made me buy the whole pack.

3. Magnetic II - I love it. The feel of this one is great. Do I care that it is the same as the real thing? NO. It has a very nice color and I think if you use it on certain tracks that need it, it could bring some type of life to your mix.

4. Do I care what's going on behind the scene's? YES!!!
I'm one of the main one's that pushed Avid (Digi at the time) to let me/us know what plugins are 24bit/32bit and which one's were double precision blah blah blah. For many reasons, phase issues which can really trick you into believing you got something great going on only to find out later, that the mix sounds just wrong when going to another Studio/Mastering.
I like to know the evils and work around them.

I really like Magnetic and Magnetic II so far.
Their other plugins sound very 2d to me. They need to go back and add whatever magic they are doing to the Magnetic plugins.

Maybe I'm missing something on their other plugins?

I have all the top EQ/Compressor/efx plugins and these don't match up so far.

Magnetic matches up with Waves MPX thou. It's a different beast but, in the same game playing along side the big boys.

Just my first thoughts.

Marc
Old 19th November 2011
  #72
Lives for gear
 
Solar's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scalawag View Post
You're right, but i'm not the one saying those emulations have nothing to do with the real thing or even with UAD. There are lot of posts about that.
Totally agree with you and neither do I but one thing I know they are different and for the price mate, its worth (of course if you like what it does sonically). If not then all good, reason why there is a myriad of different plugins to deliver different sonic flavor otherwise, imagine is the Ampex model of Uad would sound the same as the one from say NF? etc..etc...

On my side, I love the sonic character it brings to my Mix sound.

Cheers mate
Old 19th November 2011
  #73
Lives for gear
 
Mercado_Negro's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshleySmith06 View Post
What do you guys not like about it?
None of its "tones/colors" work for me. It adds some kind of harsh veil on the high end that I don't like at all. The best setting I could get was with all of its features turned off and the ATR-102 mode but even then, I didn't like it. If I had to be completely honest I'd say this is one of the worst sounding plug-ins I've heard lately (nothing against Nomad Factory, it's a good company as far as I can see). Many people like it so it's just probably me
Old 19th November 2011
  #74
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshleySmith06 View Post
What do you guys not like about it, or are you complaining of the issues re activating in Logic?

I ran it today in PT 10 just and can hear a lot of colours with the various tape emu's that will be of use in my mixes. I think you need to spend time with this and try it on a variety of instruments, see what works.

Ash
I loved the first magnetic,but since then high end Plugins have stepped there game up and I no longer appreciate the product line.

That's based on how it sound,nf have to make it warmer,cut back the highs and lows!

You can really push this plugin to sound nasty others don't give you a option to maje it sound nasty.
Old 19th November 2011
  #75
Lives for gear
 
Beany's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by eigens View Post
I bought the integral studio pack which included magnetic 1 about a year ago from dontcrack.com. How do you get the upgrade price to magnetic 2 ?? Doesn't seem like an option exists?
Plug-ins / Integral Studio Pack III - DontCrack : Music & Audio Software Store

You can upgrade to the ISP III for FREE, which also includes Magnetic II
Old 20th November 2011
  #76
Lives for gear
 
Fishmed's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by scalawag View Post
The question is, Magnetic 1 was a Tape emulation and it sounded great (at least for me). That was great by its own.
But now Magnetic 2 have brand names involved (Ampex, etc), so if they don't want us to shout out loud it's a scam, they have to give us an emulation that recreate that gear, just like UAD has done. Putting those names into plugin without emulating them is a scam. But i can't compare with real tapes or UAD so it's just my 2 cents....
I want to start of with that I like Magnetic 1 and still have to work around with #2, but I like it so far.

Something to add with the quote here is that how does anyone in the general recording world know what any tape machine sounds like on its own? Whenever I heard tape, it was passing through a mixer of one kind or another. So any emulation that is created, it would almost make sense to combo it with a mixer.
Old 20th November 2011
  #77
Gear Maniac
 

I like magnetic and nomad made a good job with all their plugins.Its just like a game...
Sometimes nomad gives a good warm sound and sometimes they don´t fit in any material The plugins arn´t crap, they are just an alternative to play with.
No first choice plugins, but often very good at the second look...:-)

Thumbs up
Old 21st November 2011
  #78
Gear Nut
 

Dear friends,

Many of you reported issues with the latest Nomad Factory installers on PC where some plug-ins as ECHOES, MAGNETIC, etc wouldn't show up in some DAWs.

The folks at Nomad worked on that the hole week-end and uploaded a new version last night

That one was a very tricky issue that came from a PC that somehow upgraded the system and added some "dependency" as they were compiling previous PC installers.

Nomad therefore compiled new installers on an other machine and it appears that FIXED ALL BUGS encountered by some of you under certain circumstances and the plug-ins normally working as they should !

The new installers are available from this link :
Nomad Factory | Creative Software Company

The folks at Nomad and ourselves at DC apologies for the trouble some of you went through and thank you for reporting. That was a tough one as we simply couldn't reproduce the problem on any PCs installed at Nomad or DontCrack :( Anyhow, it appears that the problems are now fixed !

Thanks for your patience and your understanding.

Kind Regards - Peter
Old 21st November 2011
  #79
Lives for gear
 
Solar's Avatar
 

@Peter!

Indeed, problem has been fixed although on my side, was maybe one of the lucky ones that had it all working without a problem but re-download latest Built & works like a charm.
Old 22nd November 2011
  #80
Lives for gear
 
dxavier's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshleySmith06 View Post
I don't think that's the case tbh, sorry. I sent support requests for Magnetic 1 too and have never received reply from any of those posts either. After you post you see a message saying we'll reply shortly, but they never do... at least not to me. Could it be issue with yahoo e-mail accounts and their system?

Could someone kindly get in touch with them for me and ask them to reply to me (Ashley Smith) via e-mail, I'd really like to get to the bottom of this. Much appreciated in advance if someone can do this.

I also noted that their support section needs upgrading by the webmaster to show OSX 10.7 as an option in the system selection box. It's be out ages.

Cheers,
This is disappointing. I have been looking at the Nomad plugins for a couple of days but this might have put me off. In what is a small market (in comparison to say, the car market), I expect good communication to be in place. To be honest, Sonimus who made the Satson, are a smaller company than Nomad and their communication is amazing, so there is no excuse. This is not good enough.
Old 22nd November 2011
  #81
Lives for gear
 
AshleySmith06's Avatar
 

Bernie was kind enough to reply to my PM here with apologies for the support team short givings, and to let me know that measures are in place to provide customers with better support and communication and a likely newsletter.

Old 22nd November 2011
  #82
Lives for gear
 
Macaroni's Avatar
 

They responded to me within a few hours of my inquiry. That's good enough for me. And subsequent problems were also handled within 24 hours. Very good.

Quote:
This is disappointing. I have been looking at the Nomad plugins for a couple of days but this might have put me off. In what is a small market (in comparison to say, the car market), I expect good communication to be in place. To be honest, Sonimus who made the Satson, are a smaller company than Nomad and their communication is amazing, so there is no excuse. This is not good enough.
Old 22nd November 2011
  #83
Lives for gear
 
DrAudioBot's Avatar
Only good experience with Nomad support!
Old 22nd November 2011
  #84
Administrator
 
Grahamdwc's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrAudioBot View Post
Only good experience with Nomad support!
+1 the odd time i needed it.

Graham
Old 22nd November 2011
  #85
Deleted User #106149
Guest
loving magnetic 1 and its great for toning hip hop mixes, what i don't like is that there is no mix control, huh?. Its not that hard to add a wet dry knob is it? Whats this flutter button about?
Old 22nd November 2011
  #86
Gear Maniac
 
protootr's Avatar
 

Strange behavior with levels and Magnetic II in Pro Tools 10

I like Magnetic and now also Magnetic II. If used sparingly it can punch something through a mix. On a submix bus it can also bring out the third dimension on drums or background vocals. So it definitely has its use. Not to put on every channel but every now and then it can be very useful.

I have used MII in two mixes now and I constantly run into a strange behavior. Every time I tweak MII's parameters the signal in the channel drops a large amount of dB in PT 10. When I shuffle Magnetic from one insert slot to another it will pop the level back to normal. It's very annoying because you're constantly misjudging the levels in your mix.

it's definitely a bug I've had it so often now that I ruled out any other problem. I'm still on two thoughts whether it's a PT 10 bug related to clip gain or it is MII. Working on a mix all day I'm now starting to think it's Magnetic II. Anyone else experienced this behavior. With or without Magnetic?
Old 22nd November 2011
  #87
Lives for gear
 
Macaroni's Avatar
 

A problem has surfaced for me too. I've been testing Magnetic II and every once in a while, it stops processing the signal, ie: the meters don't show any signal coming through. The track signal is still audible, but it seems it isn't going through MII. If I disable MII or turn it off via its power switch on the middle left, there is no change in the signal and definitely no processing going on.

The only solution I've found is to remove it from its insert position and re-instantiate it. Then it starts working again.

Anyone else having this issue? I've eMailed Nomad Support.
Old 23rd November 2011
  #88
Lives for gear
 
AshleySmith06's Avatar
 

There is a major bug noted by Avid where PT 10 doesn't pass audio, so I'm guessing it's that.
Old 23rd November 2011
  #89
Gear Head
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macaroni View Post
A problem has surfaced for me too. I've been testing Magnetic II and every once in a while, it stops processing the signal, ie: the meters don't show any signal coming through. The track signal is still audible, but it seems it isn't going through MII. If I disable MII or turn it off via its power switch on the middle left, there is no change in the signal and definitely no processing going on.

The only solution I've found is to remove it from its insert position and re-instantiate it. Then it starts working again.

Anyone else having this issue? I've eMailed Nomad Support.
Yep. Had the same problem when I got it the other day. I've found that the Nomad plugs in general don't play nice with certain combinations of other plugins; namely Massey and McDsp.
Old 24th November 2011
  #90
Gear Maniac
 
protootr's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shaw View Post
Yep. Had the same problem when I got it the other day. I've found that the Nomad plugs in general don't play nice with certain combinations of other plugins; namely Massey and McDsp.
Yes, have that as well.

Magnetic very often creates a big tick in the monitors and then Pro Tools stops producing sound at all and needs to be restarted. This already started in Pro Tools 9 with Magnetic though.

I now found out that I have the bug of audio not passing thru also with other plugins besides Magnetic II so it's not just that plugin but as said a bug in PT 10. Anywhere I can read up on that bug that Avid acknowledges? Probably the DUC. I'll have a look there.
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump