Sterling Audio Ocean Way Series ST6050 FET Mic Announced
Old 14th November 2011
Gear Head

Sterling Audio Ocean Way Series ST6050 FET Mic Announced

Sterling Audio in collaboration with Allen Sides is unveiling the first mic in the Ocean Way Signature Series. it is called the ST6050. $999 See attached PDF.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf OWST6050_SalesSheet_CP[1].pdf (651.5 KB, 896 views)
Old 16th November 2011
Lives for gear

Wow. Allen Sides is a complete microphone fanatic/aficionado/snob. This is an exciting development at this price point.

I mean snob in the most admiring/envious terms...

- c
Old 16th November 2011
Lives for gear

When I saw it announced I didn't even wanna look at it, I thought it was going to be stupid money. For that price I think I'll get 2
Old 16th November 2011
SZC
Gear interested

Old 16th November 2011
Lives for gear

Uh oh.

- c
Old 16th November 2011
I`m so not buying it ...
Old 16th November 2011
Gear addict

Is it a Sterling St77 with blue paint and his name on it?
Old 16th November 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benprogfuse View Post
Well that would be a huge dissapointment
Old 16th November 2011
SZC
Gear interested

Quote:
Well there is a chance it has an absolutely mind blowing capsule and exeptional output transformer that look just like the standard ones..........

Still at least the ST77 now sounds like a $1000 mic
Old 16th November 2011
Lives for gear
maybe it's acoustical blue paint?
Old 2nd December 2011
Gear addict

Old 2nd December 2011
Lives for gear

See post #4.

- c
Old 2nd December 2011
Hmmm...somebody's trying to cash in. Shameful.
Old 2nd December 2011
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Sonya View Post
See post #4.

- c
Oh yeah, Whoops.... Maybe I should have read it the first time....
Old 2nd December 2011
Lives for gear

I have the ST79 which is the same mic with more pattern features. Curious as to if I can mod mine to the oceanway spec. Paid $200 at Guitar Center for it on close out. It's really a good mic, not as smooth as the TLM49, a little grainier on the top end but it works on a lot of things.
Old 2nd December 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Oh yeah, Whoops.... Maybe I should have read it the first time....

Naaa...it's all good.

Regards,
Frank
Old 2nd December 2011
Lives for gear

Lots of guess work using those DBX's considering where they are.
Old 3rd December 2011
Lives for gear

Old 3rd December 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnkenn View Post
Hmmm...somebody's trying to cash in. Shameful.
Greed is just an awful thing. The sad part for me is that they seem to think that no one will verify this, which in turn seems to imply that people are morons and SHOULD be taken advantage of. Shame on themtutt
Old 3rd December 2011
I'm sure we'll hear some PR response claiming its all wrong, but to me, it's been tainted. Just WHAT in a pcb board fet mic costs $1000 to make?
Old 5th December 2011
Lives for gear

Someone should have learned a lesson from Telefunken USA...
Old 5th December 2011
Lives for gear

Come on guys, it's gotta be good - it includes an SM7 shockmount.
Attached Images
Old 5th December 2011
Lives for gear

Not for nothing, but I heard about this a while ago from a friend at GC Pro, and my first thoughts were - most likely a cheap mic with an expensive name on it. I haven't used one but from the looks of it I was right. At the end of the day, with the large studio market getting tougher and tougher it isn't really a surprise that some may be looking for new revenue streams. Whether that is absolutely the case here or not I of course cannot say. But for that cash I would just get a used Gefell or any number of other great mics with less "bling" factor.
Old 8th May 2015
Gear interested

go ahead... continue bashing something you've never used. unlike most of you here, i've actually made a lot of great records and have owned great studios where great records have been made. if you buy a pair of these and cannot get a good tone...

A) go out and buy a good mic-pre
B) stop trying to record music because you have no idea what you're doing.

to the people who actually want to know about how this mic performs, i'll give you some advise. obviously its not a U47 so instead i put up four other mics against it.

1. M149
2. U87
3. Sony C800
4. Old AKG Silverfaced 414
5. 6050

M149 was a bit wider and cleaner. I was expecting that though because the M149 is about 4-5 times the price. The 6050 held up well though. By the time you blend your M149 into your mix, you most likely wouldn't even hear the extra bandwidth depending on what your mixing.

Against a $4000 U87, the 6050 actually has a more desirable tone, however. very similar. Definitely sounds more like an original 47FET, which i prefer any day over a U87.

I was most surprised by the Sony. The Sony C800 is just too bright and boomy for my test. Really comparing Apples and Oranges. The Sony certainly has its uses, just not for the music I was recording. Again the 6050 has a more desirable EQ curve for what i needed.

Against the 414, no comparison. 6050 all the way but I still love the 414 whenever I have specific things to record, however. with a pair of 6050's your 414's may sit in their boxes longer than normal.

To date, its been 2 years since I actually went to Allen's studio to watch them calibrate these mic's. whatever idiot said this mic is a cheap mic with someones name on it couldn't be more wrong.

i probably shouldn't be telling people this but i was actually in the room that they have designated towards testing and setting up these mic's. they actually do spend the time making sure the EQ curve, input and output are calibrated.

let me also state that besides using ocean way studios in the past, i really don't know allen and have no interest in promoting something i don't like, however. i do like this mic.

like i said, its been 2 years now that i've been using a pair of these mic's. i recorded a vocal session today with three mic's on the vocalist. with nothing more that a blind hearing test, the singer of my past 4 sessions has leaned towards the 6050... crazy really because i had other more expensive great mic's with great mic pre's.

this mic has also become my go-to mic for anything "bass". on a 4 or 8 X 10 SVT, SWR or even a 63 Fender bassman, this mic is perfect for recording bass. you will be shocked by the perfect bass tone you get simply by placing the mic in front of the cone. you don't even need to turn up the volume. keep the volume low or a low mid level and you will create the perfect bass tone. i have never tried this with a "loud" bass amp though.

if you're familiar with the 4-5 mic setup that was used by Glynn Johns on the Led Zeppelin album... I spent the past year tracking drums utilizing the 6050 as my "Overhead" and "Side" (floor tom) microphones. This stereo pair of mic's on drums is GREAT!!! something about it is perfect with the often harshness of "rock" cymbals. Balance these two mic's with your "kick" and "snare" and you create a tremendous tone even without an additional "room" mic. of course i put up a room mic anyway though.

other uses have been acoustic guitar and piano. in both cases, this mic sounds great and better that the 414's on piano.

the mic definitely has an appealing tone very similar to a 47FET but it is also transparent enough to allow you to "hear" whatever type of mic pre you plug it into. today, i plugged into a 1081 Neve, Neve Portico and a Focusrite ISA110. it was very obvious to me, which mic pre i was using. i could definitely hear the difference of each mic pre, which i like. to give you an example, very often, if you use a crappy mic, the tone follows through on the mic pre, even if its a good mic pre. the 6050 is good enough and transparent enough to allow the greatness of the mic pre to shine through.

obviously, there are better mic's out there, however. at much higher prices. even so, i've been using much more expensive mic's up against this mic and depending on the style music, this mic and the tone it creates does attract a lot of attention when listening back. and by the way, im actually one of those people who is not just doing a "tech test". this review is from practical use in recording situations with artists who only know by what they hear. in every situation, these people really don't care what i use...they just listen...and tell me what they like.

i love these mic's and I'm not surprised... allen and all the people who have worked over at ocean way certainly have had the luxury of being able to hear what a great mic should sound like.

at this price point, i cannot even think of another mic that is even close to this one.

as i said earlier, if you can't get a good tone from this mic, go out and buy a good mic pre because its not the mic. go out and buy a pair while you still can.

best,

AT
Old 8th May 2015
Lives for gear

So your first post is to bump a 4 year old thread to say if you can't get good sounds out of this mic then it's your mic pre or your own fault? And then continue to compare to other mics YOU couldn't get a good sound out of?
Hilarious.

Anyway I've tried several Sterling mics and they were pretty bad sounding to me. I do have plenty high-end pres so I guess I should just give up recording by your logic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATgear View Post
go ahead... continue bashing something you've never used. unlike most of you here, i've actually made a lot of great records and have owned great studios where great records have been made. if you buy a pair of these and cannot get a good tone...

A) go out and buy a good mic-pre
B) stop trying to record music because you have no idea what you're doing.

to the people who actually want to know about how this mic performs, i'll give you some advise. obviously its not a U47 so instead i put up four other mics against it.

1. M149
2. U87
3. Sony C800
4. Old AKG Silverfaced 414
5. 6050

M149 was a bit wider and cleaner. I was expecting that though because the M149 is about 4-5 times the price. The 6050 held up well though. By the time you blend your M149 into your mix, you most likely wouldn't even hear the extra bandwidth depending on what your mixing.

Against a $4000 U87, the 6050 actually has a more desirable tone, however. very similar. Definitely sounds more like an original 47FET, which i prefer any day over a U87.

I was most surprised by the Sony. The Sony C800 is just too bright and boomy for my test. Really comparing Apples and Oranges. The Sony certainly has its uses, just not for the music I was recording. Again the 6050 has a more desirable EQ curve for what i needed.

Against the 414, no comparison. 6050 all the way but I still love the 414 whenever I have specific things to record, however. with a pair of 6050's your 414's may sit in their boxes longer than normal.

To date, its been 2 years since I actually went to Allen's studio to watch them calibrate these mic's. whatever idiot said this mic is a cheap mic with someones name on it couldn't be more wrong.

i probably shouldn't be telling people this but i was actually in the room that they have designated towards testing and setting up these mic's. they actually do spend the time making sure the EQ curve, input and output are calibrated.

let me also state that besides using ocean way studios in the past, i really don't know allen and have no interest in promoting something i don't like, however. i do like this mic.

like i said, its been 2 years now that i've been using a pair of these mic's. i recorded a vocal session today with three mic's on the vocalist. with nothing more that a blind hearing test, the singer of my past 4 sessions has leaned towards the 6050... crazy really because i had other more expensive great mic's with great mic pre's.

this mic has also become my go-to mic for anything "bass". on a 4 or 8 X 10 SVT, SWR or even a 63 Fender bassman, this mic is perfect for recording bass. you will be shocked by the perfect bass tone you get simply by placing the mic in front of the cone. you don't even need to turn up the volume. keep the volume low or a low mid level and you will create the perfect bass tone. i have never tried this with a "loud" bass amp though.

if you're familiar with the 4-5 mic setup that was used by Glynn Johns on the Led Zeppelin album... I spent the past year tracking drums utilizing the 6050 as my "Overhead" and "Side" (floor tom) microphones. This stereo pair of mic's on drums is GREAT!!! something about it is perfect with the often harshness of "rock" cymbals. Balance these two mic's with your "kick" and "snare" and you create a tremendous tone even without an additional "room" mic. of course i put up a room mic anyway though.

other uses have been acoustic guitar and piano. in both cases, this mic sounds great and better that the 414's on piano.

the mic definitely has an appealing tone very similar to a 47FET but it is also transparent enough to allow you to "hear" whatever type of mic pre you plug it into. today, i plugged into a 1081 Neve, Neve Portico and a Focusrite ISA110. it was very obvious to me, which mic pre i was using. i could definitely hear the difference of each mic pre, which i like. to give you an example, very often, if you use a crappy mic, the tone follows through on the mic pre, even if its a good mic pre. the 6050 is good enough and transparent enough to allow the greatness of the mic pre to shine through.

obviously, there are better mic's out there, however. at much higher prices. even so, i've been using much more expensive mic's up against this mic and depending on the style music, this mic and the tone it creates does attract a lot of attention when listening back. and by the way, im actually one of those people who is not just doing a "tech test". this review is from practical use in recording situations with artists who only know by what they hear. in every situation, these people really don't care what i use...they just listen...and tell me what they like.

i love these mic's and I'm not surprised... allen and all the people who have worked over at ocean way certainly have had the luxury of being able to hear what a great mic should sound like.

at this price point, i cannot even think of another mic that is even close to this one.

as i said earlier, if you can't get a good tone from this mic, go out and buy a good mic pre because its not the mic. go out and buy a pair while you still can.

best,

AT
Old 8th May 2015
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATgear View Post
go ahead... continue bashing something you've never used.
Continue to bash it? We stopped 4 years ago!!!
Topic:

Welcome to Gearslutz Pro Audio Forum!

Registration benefits include:
  • Ability to make and reply to posts
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get instant lifetime access to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20
  • List your eBay auctions for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search