Old 4th November 2011
Lives for gear
Novation Automap 4.1

Looks like 4.1 is here.

http://www.novationmusic.com/support/automap/
Old 4th November 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Automap 4 will be fully compatible with all Novation Automap controllers and it will be available to download here soon.
Is it?

Herwig
Old 4th November 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear
Yeah, just click on the (+) sign under software and "automap 4.1".
Old 4th November 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

This one just quits when trying to open.

I am using MacOSX 10.7.2.

Any luck anyone ?

G
Old 5th November 2011
Gear Head

Who Cares?

I wish I could have back all the time I've wasted on this crappy piece of software. I bought a SL MkII a year or so ago because I wanted the ability to control plugins in my DAWs from the keyboard. It caused endless problems, doesn't work worth a damn, and Novation's customer support is second only to Native Instruments (and, of course Avid) in uselessness. I had great hopes for the v4 release but it didn't fix a thing. I finally took it off my machine and life is back to normal. For example, my DAWs have totally stopped crashing.
Old 5th November 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by rus5 View Post
I wish I could have back all the time I've wasted on this crappy piece of software. I bought a SL MkII a year or so ago because I wanted the ability to control plugins in my DAWs from the keyboard. It caused endless problems, doesn't work worth a damn, and Novation's customer support is second only to Native Instruments (and, of course Avid) in uselessness. I had great hopes for the v4 release but it didn't fix a thing. I finally took it off my machine and life is back to normal. For example, my DAWs have totally stopped crashing.
I haven't had any crashes since the v4 beta 9 in Cubase/Ableton and Studio One Demos. I'm not the biggest fan of automap but v4 doesn't get in the way of getting things done, which is an improvement over v3 for me. I only use it for graphic/parametric eqs, faders and basic synth control though. Spectrasonics stuff is still an issue though.

The novation customer support has been slow the last few weeks, for sure. A year ago when I had a Zero MkII, I had replies within 24 hours. These days, it's like a week in between. Maybe the focusrite scarlett driver issues + impulse controller v1.0 took up a lot of man hours for the them.
Old 6th November 2011
Lives for gear

I've never had any issues with Automap . . always worked perfectly for me!

I did eventually get sick of wrapping my plug-ins though and now just use my Nocturn as a MIDI device instead. As a dedicated channel strip control in Cubase it's absolutely fantastic!
Old 6th November 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear
Can anyone with 4.1 installed tell me if it's possible to resize the GUI's? In the beta's I tried out one could not do this.

Anks.

ns
Lives for gear

Quote:
+1 on that!
NI and Novation...meh
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightscope View Post
Can anyone with 4.1 installed tell me if it's possible to resize the GUI's? In the beta's I tried out one could not do this.

Anks.

ns
They've replaced the resizeable UI concept with a notifications system. Every time you adjust something a little notification pops up . . I turned it off within about 30 seconds.

If you want the old style I guess you gotta stay on 3.x . . . I still have a copy of 3.5 around somewhere . . .
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Black View Post
They've replaced the resizeable UI concept with a notifications system. Every time you adjust something a little notification pops up . . I turned it off within about 30 seconds.

If you want the old style I guess you gotta stay on 3.x . . . I still have a copy of 3.5 around somewhere . . .
Cheers, RB. I shall remain with v3.7.4, it works fine.

ns
Gear Addict

-1 on automap 4.x...pretty much a fail...I rolled back to 3.7, which is at least alright, it's sizable, useful and oh yeah it WORKS. Back to the drawing board Novation.
Lives for gear

yeah I didn't like it at all either.. so went back to 3.7.4

rsp
Old 7th November 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Automap 4.1 is a lot more stable than the previous beta's and the 3.7.x version at our system. Well done Novation!
Old 10th November 2011 | Show parent
Gear Head

Novation's customer support is second only to Native Instruments (and, of course Avid) in uselessness. I had great hopes for the v4 release but it didn't fix a thing. I finally took it off my machine and life is back to normal. For example, my DAWs have totally stopped crashing.[/QUOTE]

Sorry to hear this. Please could you pm me with your case number so I can look into this issue and try to resolve this issue?

All the best,

Tim

Focusrite / Novation Technical Support
Old 10th November 2011 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

My rotary knobs do not work when I try to edit synth or fx parameters. It selects when I touch them but the parameters do not change when I turn them.
The knobs work when I edit my Zero SL Mk2 global settings etc.
Thanks for any info

Mac 10.6.8
Zero Sl and Automap latest versions.
Happens in every host I have.
Old 10th November 2011
Gear Maniac

BTW I tried with 2 different units
Thanks
Old 10th November 2011
Lives for gear

Hmmm, I have been using automap since the sl mk1, and never, not once had a problem with it.
Old 11th November 2011
Lives for gear

Too bad. I've sort of given up the idea of ever getting my Remote SL to ever work smoothly in automap mode. Spent a lot of hours with various versions of automap since I bought it years ago but for the sake of just vetting stuff done I just use it as regular MIDI controller. Hindsight is 20/20 I like it's functionality just fine as a MIDI controller but all the automap promises were a big part of the reason why I splurged for the remote over a simpler unit for less. I have to say the controller has lasted the years and functions well. When it dies though I'm not sure I'll re-up with novation though. Have to shop around and see what else is on the market To me Automap is not a selling feature. Scribble scripts are a must though. Over the years for me, it's done the opposite of it's promise of saving time. It would have been simpler to just program basic presets on a standard MIDI controller rather than spend all the time trying to get automap to do what it's supposed to and end up just programming my own presets anyways.
Old 11th November 2011 | Show parent
Gear Addict

Maybe I just missed it, but I can't seem to find a way to set the 4.1 GUI to stay on top, which was possible in 3.7?
Also when I close the Automap application, the process will not be closed and I have to end it manally via the task manager (Win7 64).

I'm also thinking about going back to 3.7. It's a bit disappointing.
The one thing that I missed in 3.7 (non-pro version) was dragging controls around.
Old 11th November 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
+111 totall waste of time for sure ....endless pages of useless parameters ..uninstalled a week after purchase !!
a waste of time & money .... Life in general
Old 12th November 2011 | Show parent
Tui
Gear Guru

I don't understand the negative commentary. I never, not once, had a problem with Automap (Mac). Version 4 runs extremely well here on two different machines.
Old 12th November 2011 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

version 4.1 was constantly crashing pt9 but the latest beta works fine on PT10 on a new imac.
Old 21st November 2011
Gear Addict

I'm having a little problem with some old templates from Automap 3.7, I just can't open them now in 4.1. One of the uses from the old 3.7 was controling some hardware synths via the Autòmap MIDI screen, but I don't find that MIDI screen anymore...
Old 22nd November 2011 | Show parent
OMU
Lives for gear

I agree about the customer support.

Ultranova still does not transmit MIDI over usb. It's completely useless as a keyboard for external modules.
Old 22nd November 2011 | Show parent
Gear Guru

if you don't get along with wrapping plug-ins you can still use these novations in other ways. if you select the Automap template and then select (USER) either on the hardware or in the Automap Client, you can setup many pages of controller midi data types. also you can make your own single page templates in the user templates.

so basically you can use many remote series products in 3 different ways.
with the pro version software, the knobs and buttons can long string key commands.

I've used the unit a lot, and it can be pretty frustrating, but the more I try the USER pages in Automap the more I get out of it. I think they should consider leveraging that aspect more to be honest.. it has a lot of potential. If it's ever possible to use the unit's USER modes with only an iPhone/iPod touch app and no computer, then that could make a very flexible basis for a stand alone type controller. also, you wouldn't have to update your computer and OS just to have certain functional advances of new versions of Automap. because an iPhone / iPad / iPod touch could potentially handle some of those comparability issues. There would probably need to some connection devised to hardwire hookup those Mac products, but if Digitech and Alesis can do it, I don't see why Novation can't.

I have to stay on an earlier version because my main system is Mac OS 10.4.11.
Old 23rd November 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zvenx View Post
yeah I didn't like it at all either.. so went back to 3.7.4

rsp

So I'll stay with this version

All stable and works like a charm for me
Old 23rd November 2011
Gear Addict

I think I'll be back to the 3.7.4 until I can send MIDI to my hardware synths. 3.7.4 was extremely easy for that thing, and I haven't a single problem.
Old 25th November 2011
Here for the gear

I think the hating on Automap is a lot to do with Novation's marketing. I must admit, I was lured into a purchase of SL MKII at the thought of a plug it in and it will automatically map to everything the way I wanted. Yes, it was definitely the marketing combined with my admittedly lazy arsed desire not to have to work it out. I guess a lot of people were sold on the idea that automap would provide the immediate hands on tweakability of hardware for their softsynths. Unfortunately it NEVER lived up to that hope in all circumstances.

It is not so much that Automap is crap, it is just that a lot of people (myself included) were taken in by Novation's Hype and expected more than was reasonable.

Not hating here, but to be honest I really feel that the marketing was somewhat disappointing for many.
Old 25th November 2011
Gear Addict

Well, 4.1 is more similar to that. I have some well-made templates in 3.7.4 that I can't open anymore with 4.1, which is a real PITA.

Now, with 4.1, you can control almost anything in real time. Except your old templates...
📝 Reply