The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Novation Automap 4.1
Old 25th November 2011
Gear Maniac

I stopped using my nocturn since 3.7 didn't want to work with pt10, and 4.1 don't want to load all my templates.... I don't like 4.1, i'll probably just sell my nocturn
Old 25th November 2011
Lives for gear

To make matters worse, Novation had a lot of potential with automap but they threw it all away and flushed it down the toilet.

They could have used the software to allow people to REMAP the actual controller ranges, thus making knobs work in a smart way. Now you can only select linear ranges of values which is extremely frustrating. Either you get coarse control of an EQ plugin or fine control. You can't have both.

It would be very simple to allow some controller mapping where the first few dB of tweaking are fine while it gets more coarse after that.. or they could have coded some kind of acceleration detection, meaning that if you turn the knob fast you would get coarse adjustments or slow you get fine adjustments. This is relatively simple stuff for any good programmer but I guess Novation never hired any.

After getting the Novation Nocturn and their stupid Nio USB sound interface for the home computer, I'm done shopping Novation. They are crap, sell crap (well their keyboards have great touch but that's about it) and their support sucks.
Old 27th November 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gussyg2007 View Post
+111 totall waste of time for sure ....endless pages of useless parameters ..uninstalled a week after purchase !!
a waste of time & money .... Life in general

Yeah, compared to learning how to walk and talk, pressing learn, moving a knob is so hard, damn you automap, can't you just read my mind and be pefect, for £70 and upwards...

@bmanic, there is encoder acceleration, what the hell is wrong with you guys? Do you need a Novation rep to hold your hand while you open the boxes?

4.1 is poo though, but why not get the famous alternative product that gives you endless pages of two way parameters, oh wait, there isn't one.
Old 27th November 2011 | Show parent
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by offki View Post
4.1 is poo though, but why not get the famous alternative product that gives you endless pages of two way parameters, oh wait, there isn't one.
Yes there is. Native Instruments Maschine's automapping is a masterpiece. It's not cheap, OK, but I'm doing things that I can't do with Novation's. (I haven't bought Maschine for the automapping, of course, but it's a nice addendum)

By the way, I got back to 3.7.4 and I'm happy again.
Old 28th November 2011 | Show parent
Tui
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by offki View Post
what the hell is wrong with you guys?
You got it all wrong. Nowadays, people are entitled to the best of everything, free, with a personalised thank-you note and a hug and a kiss. Entitled, I'm telling you.
Old 2nd December 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by abecedari View Post
Yes there is. Native Instruments Maschine's automapping is a masterpiece. It's not cheap, OK, but I'm doing things that I can't do with Novation's. (I haven't bought Maschine for the automapping, of course, but it's a nice addendum)

By the way, I got back to 3.7.4 and I'm happy again.
It's also £500 if you want 8 encoders, whereas a nocturn costs £70. It's also down to DAW's etc to do some work, for instance, the flexibility in Traktor mappings is insane, with a few hours and a launchpad you can pretty knock up a custom control surface that really should cost a lot more :P
Old 3rd December 2011
Gear Addict

Of course, offki :-) I was just saying that there is indeed an option, even though it's not cheap at all. I don't play with Traktor, but I know some guys who are making pretty nice things with Traktor, Launchpad and Nocturn.

As I said, 3.7.4 is working rock solid here. Playing my cheap hardware synths (that ones without knobs or even keyboard) through Launchpad and Nocturn is the sweetest thing ever!
Old 17th December 2011
Lives for gear

Bought an SL49 MKII today, automap 4.1 Heavy mix sessions will no longer play back without dropouts. Removed automap and all traces and everything works fine... Wow, a Midi controller F-ing with your system? No thanks, I'm returning tomorrow AM...
Old 17th December 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Here the Nocturn seems to behave well. (automap standard 3.7.4)
It works well with Logic plugins if you can be assed to re-map most of them and i am having success customizing a few of my other favourite plugins too.
So far i have not experienced any noticeable side effects of running it on my system.
Is it worth the effort?
well...it lends it's self to some plugins very well especially where the controls are a little jumpy and it can be nice to use over a mouse...by and large i would say it can do the basic things i hoped it would do and seems to be particularly friendly with Logic's plugins.
So for me it gets a (slightly disappointed) thumbs up!
Old 7th January 2012 | Show parent
Gear Addict

I notice that 4.2 came out a couple of weeks ago, has this resolved anyone's problems?
Old 8th January 2012
Lives for gear

Not really, hasn't crashed/froze at all since though.

Actual Title Buttons: Tool, which Extends Window Manipulation Capabilities by Adding New Title Buttons.

This app lets you keep it on top, make it transparent, roll it up, ghost it (you can see it but click thru), very handy for anyone doing a lot of work ITB. Works on vsts obv.
Old 12th January 2012
Here for the gear

In Logic Automap 4 works great with the Apple's plugins. When you double click an Apple's plugin, Automap loads it's mapping immediately, and the track's name is already assigned to the pluggin.
But Waves plugins for example Automap doesn't load immediately, you have to find the plugin in the FX board, and it is very difficult because Automap doesn't put the track's name in the plugin. It's difficult to know to what track the pluggin belongs.
IMO this problem cuts the workflow. If I new it before I'd never have bought a SL Zero MKII. Have anyone had the same problem?
Old 1st August 2012
Lives for gear

so what's the best alternative to the novation? is there anything else that automaps?
Old 21st August 2012
Gear Head

Would anybody be willing to send me an Automap for PC v 3.7.x? My 25SL has become flaky after the Automap 4.2 upgrade which has to do with the firmware 4.2.02 firmware upgrade it installed. Although the Novation download page does contain a link to the v 3.7 installer, it's not the same installer as it's been retrofitted with the new problem-ridden 4.2.02 firmware. It's the older 4.1.x firmware that I'm after.
Old 21st August 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Last edited by nightscope; 1st December 2012 at 05:14 AM.. Reason: link now redundant
Old 28th November 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

so, reading through this thread, i have heard a crapload of complaints, i just got the zero mk2 whatever, should i NOT install auto map? 2 years ago I tried an older version, and it was a disaster, and like other users said, totally choked my system. I was running Ableton on a macpro, with 16 gigs of ram, blah blah blah, and it just would crash the system or heavier sessions would start dropping audio a lot quicker. it was like the damn piece of software ate up 25% of the cpu or something.... has it gotten better?
Old 10th February 2015 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Interested in a Novation SL mkII 61 myself so any new news?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lestermagneto View Post
so, reading through this thread, i have heard a crapload of complaints, i just got the zero mk2 whatever, should i NOT install auto map? 2 years ago I tried an older version, and it was a disaster, and like other users said, totally choked my system. I was running Ableton on a macpro, with 16 gigs of ram, blah blah blah, and it just would crash the system or heavier sessions would start dropping audio a lot quicker. it was like the damn piece of software ate up 25% of the cpu or something.... has it gotten better?
Any new info yeah?
Old 11th February 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zirus Blackheart View Post
Any new info yeah?
Not that I know of, in fact I think it may have become more convoluted, I was listening the excellent SonicState podcast last week and they mentioned it... It never worked for me, and I'm not looking back.... until someone in the know says it's all good.... I appreciate Novations intentions on it, really, but no one seems to have cracked the nut properly of controlling many different kinds of interfaces with one piece of hardware in my experience... I'm glad they keep trying, perhaps someday they will get it right!
Old 26th February 2015
Here for the gear
Software Automap 4.x

Hi guys,

I recently bought SL MkII and I totally fell in love with Automap. My first reason to buy it were the keys, cause I play piano a lot. But when I discovered that Automap automatically maps all my the editable options on my instrument in Ableton.. I found another reason to like it. It maps all editable options with all my VSTs. Of course I cant guarantee that all VSTs will be automaped, but my 6 VSts are cooperating with SL mkIi just fine. I use Windows Vista and Ableton 9.

I dont know about support, but AKAI support is very slow and not very bright as well...so I suppose most of the supports are the same. Everyone thinks their case has the priority and must be answered immediatelly. I can imagine they must be flooded with hundreds of email every day.
Old 26th February 2015
Lives for gear

I dont own a Novation controller anymore, but my Zero SLmk2 was rock solid with Automap. I made tons of mappings of my own and it never failed me!
Might get a SL61mk2 in the future....
Old 26th February 2015
Lives for gear

Does what it says on the tin.
📝 Reply