The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Elysia Xpressor Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 4th February 2012
Lives for gear

The more I listen to the online demos, the more I feel the Elysia thins out the sound of everything that runs through it, almost as if it were squeezing the signal into this miniature version of its original. Am I the only one experiencing this? When I hear demos of other compressors, I`m thinking of the Retro 500 series compressor, I hear the Retro thickening the signal.... something I really like. Just my experience.

Granted, nothing beats sitting down with said pieces and running my own signals through them. Just wondering if anyone else is hearing something similar?
Old 4th February 2012
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest Buckley View Post
The more I listen to the online demos, the more I feel the Elysia thins out the sound of everything that runs through it, almost as if it were squeezing the signal into this miniature version of its original. Am I the only one experiencing this? When I hear demos of other compressors, I`m thinking of the Retro 500 series compressor, I hear the Retro thickening the signal.... something I really like. Just my experience.

Granted, nothing beats sitting down with said pieces and running my own signals through them. Just wondering if anyone else is hearing something similar?
I have them both, and I def don't feel the xPressor to thin out the sound.
You *can* thin out the sound if you want, because the xPressor is really
one of the most versatile stereo compressor I've ever tried/had.
Ratio is very sensitive, as soon as you go over about 4:1 it really pins
the material down and you need to really dig into its controls
to find the right setting. It can be very easy to set and at the same time
iit can take some time to find the right spot, but that's only because you have so many possibilities with it.
With the sidechain you can let the lows pass thru while
controlling the mids and high freq, so definitely you can make the material
sound bigger, the GR limit also helps in that.
If you don't mess with the "advanced" features (negative ratio, log rel, warm mode..) I'd describe it as a clean, easy to dial in tracking and mixing comp,
when you start to play with all the controls it can really gives you some weird effects and sounds no other compressor can.
The Retro is also versatile for having - compared to the xPressor - the basic controls and being a mono varimu comp, but it has it's own color which is more pronounced than the Elysia, I love its color, is again a very unique sounding comp but it doesn't go well with everything, the xpressor I can't imagine NOT finding a setting that doesn't fit, whether is clean dynamic control, some extreme effect or just a bit of color (mix knob is a very nice feature).
The DW has a mid freq bark that sometimes can be too much, don't expect a big low end thickening effect with it, but it does add some weight, behavior is very smooth but I was impressed how it can mistreat a mono room on drums.

Overall, they are so very different, not really comparable, one is mono, the other is stereo, xPressor can do so many things, the DW has more character..
Choosing between one of these two would be very hard, it really depends what other compressors you have
Old 6th February 2012
Lives for gear

Don't they already have a great plug in compressor? Why buy the hardware unless the plug in did not sound as good as the hardware?
Old 6th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retinal View Post
I have them both, and I def don't feel the xPressor to thin out the sound.
You *can* thin out the sound if you want, because the xPressor is really
one of the most versatile stereo compressor I've ever tried/had.
Ratio is very sensitive, as soon as you go over about 4:1 it really pins
the material down and you need to really dig into its controls
to find the right setting. It can be very easy to set and at the same time
iit can take some time to find the right spot, but that's only because you have so many possibilities with it.
With the sidechain you can let the lows pass thru while
controlling the mids and high freq, so definitely you can make the material
sound bigger, the GR limit also helps in that.
If you don't mess with the "advanced" features (negative ratio, log rel, warm mode..) I'd describe it as a clean, easy to dial in tracking and mixing comp,
when you start to play with all the controls it can really gives you some weird effects and sounds no other compressor can.
The Retro is also versatile for having - compared to the xPressor - the basic controls and being a mono varimu comp, but it has it's own color which is more pronounced than the Elysia, I love its color, is again a very unique sounding comp but it doesn't go well with everything, the xpressor I can't imagine NOT finding a setting that doesn't fit, whether is clean dynamic control, some extreme effect or just a bit of color (mix knob is a very nice feature).
The DW has a mid freq bark that sometimes can be too much, don't expect a big low end thickening effect with it, but it does add some weight, behavior is very smooth but I was impressed how it can mistreat a mono room on drums.

Overall, they are so very different, not really comparable, one is mono, the other is stereo, xPressor can do so many things, the DW has more character..
Choosing between one of these two would be very hard, it really depends what other compressors you have
For the last 12 years, I`ve been using the Avalon 737 for tracking. The compression on the 737 works quite nicely for vocals, bass & acoustic gtr.

If I`m looking for something more aggressive, I will compress ITB using the Waves H-Comp, the Renaissance Comp, the CLA collection. Honestly, I cannot validate spending a $1,000 on a 500 series compressor.

From the samples I have heard on the Elysia, there is nothing it does that I cannot duplicate with plugs. The difference I hear between the Retro & the Elysia is that the Retro adds warmth to the signal. Obviously one is a stereo unit, one is mono but I`m talking more about the sounds of these units.

The Retro is turning my head.
Old 6th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
If I`m looking for something more aggressive, I will compress ITB using the Waves H-Comp, the Renaissance Comp, the CLA collection. Honestly, I cannot validate spending a $1,000 on a 500 series compressor.

From the samples I have heard on the Elysia, there is nothing it does that I cannot duplicate with plugs. The difference I hear between the Retro & the Elysia is that the Retro adds warmth to the signal. Obviously one is a stereo unit, one is mono but I`m talking more about the sounds of these units.
I don't know how to describe it but especially on synth, the Xpressor adds a nice "sting" to the upper mids. It just makes it sound nice. It's also a phenomenal bass compressor and with the warm mode, I don't even EQ bass anymore. It's just perfect.

With the negative ratios and GRL, it just has a way of adding groove to something. It takes a minute to dial in but once you get it, it can make something groove like a mofo. I love the damn thing. It is touchy - one click on the knob one way or the other, and the gain reduction can easily jump from 4db to 11db depending on the ratio!

I also have a 500 series Obsidian, which isn't as touchy and is very easy to dial in and doesn't have the capacity to mangle like the Xpressor can. I love the obsidian on drums, piano, master buss and vocal leveling. But it compliments the Xpressor perfectly. The xpressor is great on Bass and especially electronic drums since it has such a super fast attack it can grab a synthy kick sound and just make it explode. Xpressor sounds great on compressing voice when you want to control it.

As far as grooving and mangling, maybe it's possible with a plug in comp but I've never been able to get a plug in (or another hardware comp, for that matter) to groove and mangle like the xpressor can with just a few knob twists so for me its great for it's sound sculpting capability. I also won't give it up because I love the high-mid "sting" I hear on synths that make them cut and especially warm mode on bass.

Good stuff.

Regards,
Frank
Old 6th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ionian View Post
I don't know how to describe it but especially on synth, the Xpressor adds a nice "sting" to the upper mids.

I also won't give it up because I love the high-mid "sting" I hear on synths that make them cut and especially warm mode on bass.

Good stuff.

Regards,
Frank
Frank,

I think its that "sting" you mention which I`m not crazy about. To me, it sounds like it thins out everything but maybe its adding something in the mid range? Whatever the case, there are many options out there in the 500 series which is cool for us! With all this said, I may still get my hands on the Elysia.
Old 6th February 2012
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tube World View Post
Don't they already have a great plug in compressor? Why buy the hardware unless the plug in did not sound as good as the hardware?
The plugins are *very* good, actually, the mPressor plugin is what made me
buy the xpressor, believe it or not.
I was using the mpressor a lot in some projects i was mixing last year and
got hooked to its speed and behavior and bought the xpressor as soon as it came out.
They both sound very good and they both can be used to get the job done.
Mixing analog is NOT just a matter of sound, is a matter of workflow.
Plus tracking with the hardware (especially with the xpressor) is a thing of beauty.

Quote:
For the last 12 years, I`ve been using the Avalon 737 for tracking. The compression on the 737 works quite nicely for vocals, bass & acoustic gtr.

The Retro is turning my head.
I hate the 737 so I'm biased, but if I had to pick ONE between the retro and the elysia would probably be the elysia. The value of this comp is way beyond 1k imho. As for the warmth, I definitely wouldn't say the retro add warmth and the elysia doesn't, I don't find either of them to very "warm" compared to other compressors I have.
I can tell you tho' that you cannot replicate what the xpressor does with anything else (mpressor plugin being the closest but at extreme setting behavior and sound are indeed different)
I think the visual factor plays a big role here, with the retro being aesthetically "retro" and having tubes while the xpressor is super modern in both features and look. But tubes not always means warmth really.
Old 6th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retinal View Post
The plugins are *very* good, actually, the mPressor plugin is what made me
buy the xpressor, believe it or not.
I was using the mpressor a lot in some projects i was mixing last year and
got hooked to its speed and behavior and bought the xpressor as soon as it came out.
They both sound very good and they both can be used to get the job done.
Mixing analog is NOT just a matter of sound, is a matter of workflow.
Plus tracking with the hardware (especially with the xpressor) is a thing of beauty.

I hate the 737 so I'm biased, but if I had to pick ONE between the retro and the elysia would probably be the elysia. The value of this comp is way beyond 1k imho. As for the warmth, I definitely wouldn't say the retro add warmth and the elysia doesn't, I don't find either of them to very "warm" compared to other compressors I have.
I can tell you tho' that you cannot replicate what the xpressor does with anything else (mpressor plugin being the closest but at extreme setting behavior and sound are indeed different)
I think the visual factor plays a big role here, with the retro being aesthetically "retro" and having tubes while the xpressor is super modern in both features and look. But tubes not always means warmth really.
I`m only going on the samples I have heard. The Retro sounds warmer than the Elysia. Its a sound I prefer. Thats all I`m saying.
Old 7th February 2012
Lives for gear
Quote:
I`m only going on the samples I have heard. The Retro sounds warmer than the Elysia. Its a sound I prefer. Thats all I`m saying.
I know, and that's why I thought was going to be helpful to hear
from someone who has 'em both.
An simple example: Api 525 is warmer than the Retro.
Behavior is exactly on the opposite side of the planet but just to compare
the "warmth" with another 500 compressor, in this case one that probably most people heard at some point
Old 11th February 2012
TJP
Gear Maniac

Very interesting thread. Im Looking for a Master comp manly. This would be my first hardware bus comp. can anyone tell me how the xpressor does on the 2bus? In comparation with the bc-1 mk2 or the 1968 mk2?? I'll do 99% edm. I have the plugs too... It is worth the investment?
Old 12th February 2012
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJP View Post
Very interesting thread. Im Looking for a Master comp manly. This would be my first hardware bus comp. can anyone tell me how the xpressor does on the 2bus? In comparation with the bc-1 mk2 or the 1968 mk2?? I'll do 99% edm. I have the plugs too... It is worth the investment?
It depends what you want from it on the 2bus, if you only use that one comp on the 2bus and want color/character I'd go with something else,
if you use it for pure, extremely tweakable dynamic control, yes.
Old 13th February 2012
TJP
Gear Maniac

Hi Rentinal. I´m not searching for pure dynamic control, but for some character... to warm up my itb mixes, glue everything a bit together and give it a bit dimension. Do you have any ideas?? thx
Old 13th February 2012
Lives for gear
I have quite some and worked with pretty much all the "usual suspects" for the
2bus and my answer to that isn't changed in years and most likely never will:
Api 2500
Now, if you're on a budget there are some other good ones that will give you
results, but nothing beats the 2500 on the 2bus for me
Old 16th February 2012
manufacturer

New Videos online!

Hey everybody,

Our friend Tom took the time to produce two new videos of the xpressor.
I think they are pretty informative, and nice entertainment as well...

Please check out our YouTube channel to have a look:
Click here to visit elysiaTV

Thanks for watching!
Dominik
Old 16th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by elysia View Post
Hey everybody,

Our friend Tom took the time to produce two new videos of the xpressor.
I think they are pretty informative, and nice entertainment as well...

Please check out our YouTube channel to have a look:
Click here to visit elysiaTV

Thanks for watching!
Dominik
Tell Tom I like the idea he has an old, wind up metronome on his bookshelf. It looks like a Wittner Taktell. Growing up, that thing was my best friend. Believe it or not, I always felt the ticking on the windup ones are slightly uneven which make my practicing feel more human versus a digital one which used to freak me out a bit with its "perfectness".

Regards,
Frank
Old 18th February 2012
Lives for gear

Old 19th February 2012
manufacturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis Goekdag View Post
Dominik, your link is borked, though, a little too much "http" in there...:
http://http//www.youtube.com/user/elysiaTV
Oh, sorry for this. I have just fixed it.
Thanks a lot for the hint!

Just to make sure, here is the correct link one more time:
elysiaTV on YouTube

Cheers,
Dominik
Old 19th February 2012
Gear Maniac

Talking

Quote:
Tell Tom I like the idea he has an old, wind up metronome on his bookshelf. It looks like a Wittner Taktell. Growing up, that thing was my best friend. Believe it or not, I always felt the ticking on the windup ones are slightly uneven which make my practicing feel more human versus a digital one which used to freak me out a bit with its "perfectness".

Regards,
Frank
Hey Franck! Spot on, you' ve got good eyes! This one's so beat up its feel is no more 'human' but groove-quantized...it's totally unusable as is but perhaps I could sample its sound and make a soft-metronome out of it with programmed 'human feel'...;-)

:-)Tom
Old 25th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis Goekdag View Post
Hehehe :-) I think the Elysia dudes may just have something totally unexpected up their sleeve.... Anyway, I've made a habit of always having some $$ on the side for grabbing whatever Ruben & Dominik come up with.
Drool....

elysia - coming soon!

Regards,
Frank
Old 25th February 2012
Lives for gear

Old 25th February 2012
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realtugs View Post
Uh-oh!

EQ?
Yes please an EQ aimed at the main buss.
Old 25th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realtugs View Post
Uh-oh!

EQ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by G-d-S View Post
Yes please an EQ aimed at the main buss.
It sounds logical, but when I spoke to Dominik at AES, I asked him if it was going to be an EQ since I was planning on buying a Museq and wanted to know if I should wait to see what the new 500 module was and he had told me that it wasn't going to be an EQ. He did say I would want this 500 series module, though!

He said that they would get to a 500 series EQ eventually but they wouldn't start working on that until the end of this year or next year.

I can't imagine what this is, but I am very intrigued! The webpage does say, "Something Huge" and to "leave some space" if you have a lunchbox. It almost makes me wonder if it's something that 3 spaces, as there's been a few modules lately pushing the boundaries in being three spaces wide.

Regards,
Frank
Old 26th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
It almost makes me wonder if it's something that 3 spaces, as there's been a few modules lately pushing the boundaries in being three spaces wide.
It is not three spaces.

dB
Old 26th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryce View Post
It is not three spaces.

dB
Phew!

I'd rather a 1U 19" unit in that case.
Old 26th February 2012
Gear Addict

then what? a stereo preamp with tape fx, line level input, warm mode...? (so I can add warmth to digital synth when I record them.) would be great
Old 27th February 2012
500 series nutjob

i panicly pace from side to side i a small room awaiting a new toys to come!

you guys are killing me: )

i am going to need another rack, i can see tat now.
Old 27th February 2012
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pan60 View Post
i panicly pace from side to side i a small room awaiting a new toys to come!

you guys are killing me: )

i am going to need another rack, i can see tat now.
Maybe we will know more after the musikmesse
Old 27th February 2012
500 series nutjob

i may have to start bugging them in hopes they will slip and leak something?
Old 27th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:

That would be nice since none of us have a clue what it might be!

Regards,
Frank
Old 28th February 2012
Gear Addict

Quote:

Please do, please do, but not too loud dominik might hear

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search