The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tascam introduces dr-40 4-track portable recorder Recorders, Players & Tape Machines
Old 17th September 2011
News Desk Editor

Hardware Tascam introduces dr-40 4-track portable recorder

TASCAM INTRODUCES DR-40 4-TRACK PORTABLE RECORDER

Adjustable mics, XLR Mic Inputs and Dual Recording Combine for
Recording Flexibility Anywhere

TASCAM's DR-40 packs adjustable condenser microphones, four track recording, XLR mic inputs and extended battery life into a portable recorder
your can take anywhere. It captures up to four tracks from built-in condenser microphones, XLR mic or line inputs. The high-quality internal microphones are adjustable from XY to AB position, helping you to tailor your recording to the sound of the room. A pair of great-sounding TASCAM microphone preamps welcome condenser microphones with phantom power, recording at up to 96kHz/24-bit resolution. It accommodates balanced XLR or 1/4" line inputs using locking Neutrik Combo jacks. The DR-40 accepts SD or SDHC cards up to 32GB, and a 2GB card is included.

Once recorded, play back your takes with EQ and the optional Level Align feature to avoid volume jumps. A stereo reverb effect is also built-in, as well as a speaker and chromatic tuner. Transfer recordings to computer using the USB 2.0 jack. Other features include overdub mode, variable
speed playback, limiting and low cut filter, and much more – all with TASCAM’s simple-to-use interface. No other recorder makes home or live recording as simple as the TASCAM DR-40. “"I believe our new feature rich DR-40 4-track portable recorder may be considered our new flagship
product." said Paul Jenkins, Senior Vice President for TEAC America.

The TASCAM DR-40 is available now at an estimated street price of $199. An optional BP-6AA Battery Pack, which takes six AA batteries, increases the battery life of the DR-40 from 17.5 to over 50 hours. This battery pack is designed to attach itself to DR-40 and a tripod allowing users to record for a long period without the use of an AC adapter or a computer. BP-6AA will be available in October 2011.

Features:
  • Handheld 4-track Portable Recorder
  • Built-in condenser microphones, adjustable to XY or AB position
  • XLR / 1/4” mic/line input with phantom power
  • Locking Neutrik Combi jacks
  • Record the built-in microphones with the XLR mic or line input for a four-track recording
  • Dual recording mode captures a safety track at a lower level to avoid distortion
  • Overdub mode allows recording along with a previous take
  • Peak reduction automatically sets the ideal recording level
  • 15-hour battery life from three AA batteries
  • Up to 96kHz/24-bit WAV/BWF or MP3 recording resolution
  • 2-second pre-recording buffer
  • Variable speed playback from 50-150% speed without changing the pitch
  • Adjustable limiter and low cut filter (40 / 80 / 120 Hz)
  • Built-in speaker and chromatic tuner
  • 1/8” headphone/line output
  • Playback EQ and level align
  • Stereo Reverb effect
  • Tripod mounting hole
  • SD/SDHC card slot supports up to 32GB media (2GB card included)
  • USB 2.0 jack and cable for transferring recordings to computer
  • Powered by three AA batteries, AC adapter (optional PS-P515U), external battery pack (optional BP-6AA), or USB bus power
  • Optional RC-3F footswitch and RC-10 wired remote control
Attached Thumbnails
Tascam introduces dr-40 4-track portable recorder-press.jpg  
Old 17th September 2011
Lives for gear

I saw this yesterday on B&H. The dr100 had looked pretty good, but the price tag seems more attractive on this one. This one might just do the trick!
Old 18th September 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Record the built-in microphones with the XLR mic or line input for a four-track recording
Dual recording mode captures a safety track at a lower level to avoid distortion
VERY smart features!!!
Old 19th September 2011
Here for the gear

Damn, wish I hadn't bought the dp-004:(
Old 20th September 2011
Lives for gear

I wonder why this is not getting more attention. A purchase of the H2n was already in my plans. After looking at the specs and the battery life, the H2n is on hold. I'm about ready to pull the trigger as soon as I hear some positive feedback.
Old 20th September 2011
Lives for gear

Looks fantastic, however I really don't understand the price difference between US and Europe...

It's $199 in US and £240 in the UK (=$377!!!!!)
That is insane, isn't it?
Old 21st September 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vytis View Post
This German store has it up way cheaper. 229 € / £ 194

Tascam DR-40 « Digital Recorder
Old 21st September 2011
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vytis View Post
Looks fantastic, however I really don't understand the price difference between US and Europe...

Yes. Even factoring in import duty and VAT it should be somewhere around £160.
Old 21st September 2011
Gear Maniac

Yeah I just ordered one a couple days ago from MF with their 'summersave' discount. Cost me 175 bucks.
Old 22nd September 2011
Lives for gear

FWIW, I was going to do the exact same thing as "riffster" on Monday. When I called MF the representative(sales dude) told me that the DR 40 doesn't qualify for the summer discount because it is not in stock. Also, I would have had to wait until about 10/10 for it to come in.

Soooooooo.....I went somewhere else and got a nice price, but what is even better than that is: it is arriving today via Ups. I am really excited to put it through its paces.

p.s. I had read in an article that Tascam thought that this would be their flasgship....so maybe this is closer to the capabilities of the DR 100 with updated electronics....hopefully closer than the price would suggest.
Old 26th September 2011
Here for the gear

dr-40 video plus Roland R-26 New machine Vid

Here you are guys a very good review and test of the Dr-40
Tascam DR-40 Handheld 4-Track Recorder Sound Samples - YouTube

Mine arrives in the post to AU soon. Was on the buying list for the new Roland r-26 another amazing new item $599.00 But the price of this got me thinking well lets get this one first and then the r-26 after :-)
If you really are looking for a Zoom H4N killer though well...
the New out in October Roland R-26 would have to be the one for sure 100% its Bloody Amazing!!! See R-26 Portable Recorder: Introduction part 1 - YouTube 1,2 and 3

Last edited by DD3.tv; 26th September 2011 at 08:38 AM.. Reason: typos
Old 26th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny C View Post
FWIW, I was going to do the exact same thing as "riffster" on Monday. When I called MF the representative(sales dude) told me that the DR 40 doesn't qualify for the summer discount because it is not in stock. Also, I would have had to wait until about 10/10 for it to come in.

Soooooooo.....I went somewhere else and got a nice price, but what is even better than that is: it is arriving today via Ups. I am really excited to put it through its paces.

p.s. I had read in an article that Tascam thought that this would be their flasgship....so maybe this is closer to the capabilities of the DR 100 with updated electronics....hopefully closer than the price would suggest.
Well that's a bummer Denny with MF.... I just checked again because you made me worried that I didn't get that -25.00 deal. Nope, looks good at 174.99.

One thing to note is that I believe that there isn't discrete level control of the mic inputs but rather ganged. Could be a deal killer for some but for me I think not. In any case, CHEAP and fairly robust for my 175 clams. Would have been real sweet if it had both headphone & line output but I don't even think the new Roland R26 has that which will have a much higher price tag.
Old 26th September 2011
Lives for gear

Hey Riffster, I am sure you got the discount. However, I was only pointing out that they were not going to give it to me. So....I just went somewhere else and got almost the same deal. You are also right that the input level control does both sides simultaneously not in a discreet format.

However, I got mine a couple of days ago. For less than $200--- I think it is pretty much a slam dunk. The Roland r26 is slated for $499; head to head with the Sony D50. I am very pleased with my purchase.and you will probably be also.
Old 12th October 2011
Here for the gear

Could someone post some audio samples? I'd like to hear what's the noise level when recording via internal mics, and also when recording using some decent external condensers. Any ambient sounds (like e.g. footsteps in a quiet environment) would be fine.
Old 29th November 2011
Lives for gear

I'm bumping this thread since I'm also seriously contemplating whether to go with the Tascam DR-40 at £200 or a Roland R-26 at £360. For those that bought it - how does it sound? I need something for sound effects gathering with usable internal mics to grab occasional sounds, and good XLR input to plug my MKH-416 for planned recordings.
I am sure that any non-musical recording samples of something like running water or can opening - would be greatly appreciated by many.
Many thanks in advance!
Old 1st February 2012
Here for the gear

Can the dr40 run off rechargeable AA's?
Old 8th September 2012
Here for the gear

I'm new to the forums here so wasn't sure where to post my review of the DR-40...
I purchased a DR-40 in the last 3 weeks and have had a chance to use it. I also own the Tascam DR2D (now discontinued) and have owned the zoom H4.

In general I'm very impressed with the DR-40, especially given I only paid £160. I was expecting it to feel cheap and nasty being an all plastic construction, but actually it's rather well made, more robust than the DR2D. I was expecting to miss the nifty scroll wheel on the DR2D, but the buttons work well and the menus whilst similar have been optimised to reduce the need to scroll. One DR40 review complained about the loose feel of the XLR connectors... but I find the XLR combo jack are good quality Neutrik brand and the "loose" feel is part of the design, and not a problem given the easy to use XLR locking tabs.

Sound wise I have no issue. The internal mics are very low noise and perfectly usable for guitar or drum overhead. The internal mic pres are OK but noisy IMHO. Mics that need a lot of phantom power are liable to produce a periodic noises due to the inadequate power supply. For instance a Golden Age R1 MkIII ribbon mic was not happy drawing phantom power from the DR-40... but a Sennheiser E865 was OK. Mic pres on these portable units are often compromised by the battery power supplies so if you're fussy (like me) use an external preamp. I've used a tfpro P4 with the DR40 and have been very happy with the quality of recordings.

The big advantage with the DR40 vs the Zoom H4N is the fact you can use 4-track recording mode and overdubbing in full 24bit/96kHz quality... the Zoom downgrades for equivalent settings. 96kHz sampling is somewhat academic, but 24bit is well worth using according to my own ABX testing. High frequencies from acoustic guitar or cymbals will bring the differences out if your hearing is up to it.

The DR-40 is also Tascam's first unit to include overdubbing in "separate" mode. This means you can record one stereo track whilst playing another, and the recorded track *does not* include the mix from the playback track. This gives you the basis for multitrack recording where you can record multiple takes/tracks to a guide track and then mix them on a computer later. Tascam's implementation is clunky and not as straightforward as the DP-004 or DP-008 (which I have owned). But you can mix 2 stereo tracks and overdub in separate mode which is a first for their handheld recorders, and clearly competes with Korgs SOS or Zoom H4N

Curiously the more compact Tascam DR2D also allowed 4-track recording and can do overdubs, but there is no separate mode so overdubs are mixes of playback and recording.

I also purchased the RC-10 remote for the DR-40 which although supplied as a wired remote is in fact a wireless remote with an IR receiver in the holder. I could easily remove the IR receiver from the holder and use the RC-10 as a wireless remote. The RC-10 remote is nearly identical to the RC-2 remote supplied with the DR2D and indeed the remotes are largely interchangable, working key functions of either recorder. In fact I was able to initiate recording on both the DR-40 and DR2D simultaneously using either the RC-10 or RC-2 remote allowing for simultaneous 8-track recording !! There was a slight (<10ms) misalignment at the start of the recordings when pulled into a computer.... but once corrected (align a hand clap at recording start), the drift in the two recorders over 10 mins was a perfectly acceptable 2ms... this really makes it one of the most compact and inexpensive ways of recording 8-tracks.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search