The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
WedgeCtrl - New editor/librarian for the Alesis Wedge (Win) Reverb/Delay Processors (HW)
Old 16th September 2011
Gear Addict

Software WedgeCtrl - New editor/librarian for the Alesis Wedge (Win)

I've just "released" WedgeCtrl, an editor/librarian for PC that I wrote for the Alesis Wedge, and was hoping I could get a few people to give it whirl/test for me. It's weird not knowing if I've released something that works or not... (it obviously works for me, but I don't have a way of testing it on a machine that isn't my dev box...)

The editor's here: WedgeCtrl - Editor / librarian for the Alesis Wedge. It's for Windows running the .NET Framework 4.

If anyone does see this and checks it out, THANKS!

Ryan
Old 18th September 2011
Gear Addict

106 people have viewed this thread, and my site logs show that not one single person has actually downloaded the editor. I find this perplexing.
Old 18th September 2011
Tui
Gear Guru

Perhaps not that my people use a Wedge? I still occasionally patch in my old Microverb 1, but more for sentimental reasons, I guess.
Old 18th September 2011
Gear Addict

Sure, I realize that, but then why are they reading the thread in the first place?

I wrote my editor as a programming exercise, and because it's the last piece of MIDI gear I have that didn't have an editor. I'm not expecting it to be all that useful to too many people, but it's hella-frustrating that I haven't even had a single download yet, and that I don't know where better to promote it...
Old 18th September 2011
Tui
Gear Guru

Well, I imagine many here at GS aren't even old enough to remember the Wedge, so perhaps they click on this thread out of curiosity?

You obviously still use and like it? What kind of music do you make?
Old 18th September 2011
Tui
Gear Guru

I suppose you could post at dedicated Alesis forums:

alesis forum - Google Search
Old 18th September 2011
Gear Addict

Yeah, I suppose that Alesis sub-forum at homerecording.com is the closest thing I'll find to a good place. Unfortunately Alesis doesn't have their own company forums, and their Facebook page is a ghost town.
Old 18th September 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tui View Post
You obviously still use and like it? What kind of music do you make?
Oh sure, I like it quite a bit. It's a decent little box, plenty of flexibility in the parameters and decent sounding. It's stupendous value at the $50 everyone's paying for them!

I haven't actually used it in a recording, and my own music-making has stagnated for a few years. I had a recording engineer job, but now I'm returning to a computer programming career and that's why I've been writing MIDI editors for hardware I own to bring my coding chops back up to an employable level. It's been great, and I'm ultimately only doing it for myself, but naturally I would love if others got use out of my efforts!
Old 18th September 2011
Tui
Gear Guru

Well, good for you. I must say I feel quite a bit of admiration for anyone who can write their own software. Not me - I can click on buttons, though, and watch what happens!

Good luck, and keep up the good work.
Old 19th September 2011
Lives for gear

I have a Wedge....... when i get a chance i'll give it a try.
I'm 99% on Mac, but have a PC Tablet i use with my Lake Control with XP Pro i could use.
Do you think it may work with Parallels 6.0 on a Mac running XP Pro?

Hopefully one day soon, we could control all outboard things with a iPad..... it makes sense for so many reasons........ mostly so you can still surf Gearslutz while youre working........ oh yea, i better get back to work!
Thanks for sharing!
Old 19th September 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tui View Post
Well, good for you. I must say I feel quite a bit of admiration for anyone who can write their own software. Not me - I can click on buttons, though, and watch what happens!

Good luck, and keep up the good work.
Thanks Tui, that actually means quite a bit to me. I'm going through some ****ty times now, unemployed and apparently too stupid to actually land another programming job (despite the fact that I'm a better programmer now than I've ever been and have 3 solid MIDI editors to show for it). I'm bummed that the uptake on this new one is non-existent, despite claiming that I'm only doing it as an exercise for myself anyway, because there's not a lot going right for me lately at all and this is just one more thing.....

But lo, I need to get over it and just keep trekking forward with programming and job applications, and your message helps fan my dying and exasperated flames, so to speak, so I'm just going to go and keep trying to do that.
Old 19th September 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMoshay View Post
Do you think it may work with Parallels 6.0 on a Mac running XP Pro?
That's a damn good question, and one that I'd certainly like to know the answer to. I'm assuming that it would. If you have other MIDI apps that run properly and use your MIDI interface properly, then I don't see why mine would be an exception - it's pretty simple and only uses basic MIDI API features.

I'm curious to find out, so a report back would be highly appreciated!
Old 19th September 2011
Tui
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ry-Fi View Post
Thanks Tui, that actually means quite a bit to me. I'm going through some ****ty times now, unemployed and apparently too stupid to actually land another programming job (despite the fact that I'm a better programmer now than I've ever been and have 3 solid MIDI editors to show for it). I'm bummed that the uptake on this new one is non-existent, despite claiming that I'm only doing it as an exercise for myself anyway, because there's not a lot going right for me lately at all and this is just one more thing.....

But lo, I need to get over it and just keep trekking forward with programming and job applications, and your message helps fan my dying and exasperated flames, so to speak, so I'm just going to go and keep trying to do that.
Old 28th September 2011
Heya Ry-Fi,
I just dug my Wedge out, and was googling Gearslutz for Wedge-related threads, and was quite surprised to see such a fresh thread - and about brand new software for my old $99 Guitar Center blowout steal. I'll play around with it soon and will be happy to provide feedback as I go. But before I even start - thanks for putting something like this together
Old 28th September 2011
Gear Addict

Sweet, thanks!! I'm glad you found it. I would be THRILLED if you scoped it out and let me know what you thought. I honestly believe that NOBODY has tried it yet, and that's pretty depressing. My site logs show that there were maybe 3 downloads, and I've only posted notices on a couple of sites and nobody has written anything about actually trying it. Doh.

I hope you get some use out of it. It really does making editing and experimenting even more fun (even though the Wedge is hardly a device that needed an editor). It really is a pretty good sounding box, and I'm surprised it's not more popular than it is...
Old 29th September 2011
It's definitely among the best $99 I've ever spent on gear. Will I use it on recordings of a soprano & a Steinway performing my wife's compositions? Probably not. But for everything else? It's a great tool to have.

And yeah, even though the Wedge is pretty easy to program, having an interface like this is still beneficial, and it's exactly this sort of thing that the developers probably envisioned when they set up the SysEx specs. A set of four sliders and a nice LCD is cool, but being able to use a keyboard to name my patches instead of a scroll wheel is cooler.

I should be able to get some time in this weekend, I'll let you know if I run into anything in normal use. Then I'll see if I can break it
Old 29th September 2011
Lives for gear

I have a wedge, it's a great sounding reverb (albeit a little noisy), though I haven't plugged it in in a while.. unfortunately I only work on Macs.

Good luck though!
Old 1st October 2011
Gear Maniac

Ry-Fi, you might check out this sysex/midi editor framework.

ctrlr.org • Index page

It looks like you've got a bit more custom stuff, your boss GUI's looks pot on but i'm sure this can do many of the same features. plus its osx compatible.
Old 1st October 2011
Gear Addict

Sure, I'm aware of the Ctrlr project, but the M.O. behind writing my editor/librarians has been to learn C++/MFC and C#.NET (Forms and WPF) and build self-contained apps from the ground up. That's the focus for me, and not just getting editors up and running as quickly as possible.

Thanks for the suggestion anyway.
Old 2nd October 2011
tldr: It appears you may have hard-coded WedgeCtrl to send on MIDI Channel 1.

Here's my post - I was typing things out as I was fiddling with the Wedge:
When I fire up WedgeCtrl, I set it up to use my M-Audio Projec Mix External MIDI for both input and output. I run a the appropriate MIDI cables to my Wedge, and I try fiddling with sliders, hit Safe & Crazy, nothing happens. In "Show Banks" I Request banks from the Wedge, but it says it's not receiving any data.

I fired up good old Midi-OX, and was able to send program changes from it's control panel just fine.

Huh. Just had a breakthrough while troubleshooting -- I set my Wedge's MIDI Channel from 16 to 00, and I just loaded the program banks.

Actually, everything seems to be working now. Kind of.

When I set the channel to 2 on both devices, no go. If I set it to anything other than 00 or 01, it doesn't take.
Old 2nd October 2011
Gear Addict

Well this is the first feedback I've heard on the app, so thanks! Yeah, you clearly figured out that the 1 - 16 number drop-down is for channel/device ID, and I'm glad it's working for you on 0 and 1. I clearly didn't test it enough and something weird's happening with the other settings. I'll check it out! Thanks.
Old 2nd October 2011
Gear Addict

This is fixed now. Thanks for bringing it to my attention, and sorry for the grief it caused you!
Old 2nd October 2011
No grief at all! I'm a web developer, I spend a good portion of each week debugging. I knew ahead of time that this was brand new software, and approached it as such.
Old 4th January 2012
Gear Head

hi there, i just bought a wedge (only just got it yesterday so completely new to it) and wanted to say thanks for the great editor/library tool.

i want to use it as dual mono, one input for synth and one for a drum machine. when creating patches is there a way to choose what function each of the sliders does? Ideally i'd like sliders 1 & 2 controlling wet/dry and decay for the synth, and sliders 3 &4 controlling wet/dry and decay on the drum machine. It would then be a perfect live tool.

Last edited by bluemanontelly; 4th January 2012 at 05:07 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 12th January 2012
Gear Addict

Hey there. Sorry for the delay in replying - I'm rarely around GS anymore and just found your post. Thanks for the thanks, and glad someone's using my editor!

Unfortunately the Wedge can't be configured to work this way. The 4 sliders can only be used to control the 4 showing parameters for each of the pages of parameters. If there were any more ways to configure the Wedge and its sliders, I would've added support for them to my editor.
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search