The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Don't Crack VIP Series plugins Saturation Plugins
Old 4th November 2011
Lives for gear
Any chance on rerunning the 299 special for us hear?
Old 12th November 2011
Gear Nut

Any news about updates, Plugins, your health or whatever?

cheers
Old 12th November 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldsnow View Post
Any chance on rerunning the 299 special for us hear?
+1

would love to buy them at the intro price!
Old 14th December 2011
Gear Nut

Hey Don't Crack,

Any update or news or new Plugin(s) from Santa Claus before Christmas?

cheers!
Machinehead
Old 22nd December 2011
Gear Nut

Dear friends,

We are working on new plug-ins but most of our devs are either working on holiday promotions or OFF for winter break. New plugs will therefore be available early Q1 2012...

Meanwhile, following users requests, we decided to change the name of our plug-ins and are actually finalizing an attractive new site where users will find more information and useful resources to keep our plug-ins up to date.

The new name will be... (drum roll) "Plug&Mix" with a new logo. Any comments ?

At last, as we did more than well at launch-out and received tones of requests from users, asking if we could make our V.I.P. Bundle available at at $299 as a Xmas offer. Well we simply did it and are considering keeping that MAP price in 2012...

We hope all of that will keep the high interest all of you showed for our clean and simple audio plug-ins. We are monitoring your requests and are working on hot new plug-ins that we already know you will love using ;-)

Looking forward to your feedback.

Happy holidays folks !

Cheers - Peter
Old 22nd December 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontCrack View Post
Anybody else thinking of Cayce Pollard?
Old 22nd December 2011
Lives for gear

I debated posting because I've merely been following but haven't yet bitten, so I'm not a customer yet and therefore I am not sure I should have a say as to the new name of the plugins. So take thisfor what it's worth.

First, I think it's great that you're responding to customer feedback on the name. Although, Don't Crack is a known brand in the audio space and a new name is risky, so choosing correctly is important, as is a marketing budget to launch the new name,

That said, I don't think Plug&Mix is a good choice. To me this name seems to imply the plugins are designed for amateurs. And 95% or more of the customers of plugins are likely hobbyists and amateurs, they like to at least feel like they're buying pro-quality software and gear. I can't exactly quantify or qualify for you why Plug&Mix sounds like it's targeted at the amateur, but I think anything with the word "and" in it sounds instructional, paint-by-numbers, etc. I guess I'm just used to that kind of brand name being associated preschool/toddler products like See and Say, Speak and Spell, etc.

If you're going to go through the effort and expense of changing names (I don't really think it's necessary), I'd try to choose a name that makes people feel cool when they tell their gearhead friends that they invested $299 in your product. Nobody is going to feel cool saying "Hey, have you heard the new Plug&Mix bundle?"

Some of the better named plugins I've heard:

- Slate Digital Virtual Console Collection -- man that sounds cool and pro and worth $299

- iZotope Ozone/Alloy/Nectar/RX2 - All cool names

- Spectrasonics Omnisphere - spheres are cool and this one can do anything (omni-)

You get my drift.
Old 22nd December 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Dear friends,

We are working on new plug-ins but most of our devs are either working on holiday promotions or OFF for winter break. New plugs will therefore be available early Q1 2012...

Meanwhile, following users requests, we decided to change the name of our plug-ins and are actually finalizing an attractive new site where users will find more information and useful resources to keep our plug-ins up to date.

At last, as we did more than well at launch-out and received tones of requests from users, asking if we could make our V.I.P. Bundle available at at $299 as a Xmas offer. Well we simply did it and are considering keeping that MAP price in 2012...

We hope all of that will keep the high interest all of you showed for our clean and simple audio plug-ins. We are monitoring your requests and are working on hot new plug-ins that we already know you will love using ;-)

Looking forward to your feedback.

Happy holidays folks !

Cheers - Peter
Never thought that there was anything wrong with the original name but hey, all good. I WILL be getting the modulation plugs as I really like how rich they sound. Looking forward to new offerings from you guys
Old 22nd December 2011
Lives for gear

Plug&Mix seems a touch better than Don'tCrack. I had a friend lean over my screen the other day and say, "Hey- that looks just like a real...Analoger?"

I think the naming and marketing are frankly the weakest part of these plugins - which I much prefer to a slick ad campaign and crappy sound. I am very happy mixing with them myself, but can understand more uppity-types (High End Forum) avoiding them because they aren't branded in an ego-boosting way.

PS: Please make a good de-esser! Since I ditched Pro Tools I have been searching for something simple and effective for Intel Macs.
Old 23rd December 2011
Gear Nut

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the highly interesting comments !

I think people will refer to us as P&M and not Plug&Mix... Doesn't P&M sound pro as B&O ;-)

We even do have logos to reflect that :

Also, doesn't "Plug&Mix" speak for it self as promoting quick, easy and efficient plug-ins ?

Yes marketing is a dirty job but someone's got to do it, right?

Merry Xmas friends !

Cheers - Peter
Old 25th December 2011
my guess about plug&mix being not the best name is it sounds too much like plug&play which implies limited control and more geared towards people who don't really know what they are doing

just a thought
Old 25th December 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinvanda View Post
my guess about plug&mix being not the best name is it sounds too much like plug&play which implies limited control and more geared towards people who don't really know what they are doing

just a thought

I second that.
Great plugins BTW I´ve been using them quite much in my mixes
Old 29th December 2011
Gear Maniac

It's a really bad name. Why not have a cool name instead of a lame name? To begin with you had a really lame name and this name is almost as lame, you'll get no fame, and who's to blame? Some dame?
Old 29th December 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyond View Post
It's a really bad name. Why not have a cool name instead of a lame name? To begin with you had a really lame name and this name is almost as lame, you'll get no fame, and who's to blame? Some dame?
Sorry, but I have to agree!
Old 29th December 2011
Administrator

...a lot of over thinking about the name on a product......Why?... if they serve their purpose well and are reasonably priced. I doesn't matters what name is on them, does it?
I feel this goes for most products really.

Graham
Old 29th December 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Shame.
Old 29th December 2011
Gear Nut

Hey Folks, any ideas here?

e.g. PMT (Professionel Mix Tools) or Pro Plugs or whatever....

cheers!
Old 29th December 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grahamdwc View Post
...a lot of over thinking about the name on a product......Why?... if they serve their purpose well and are reasonably priced. I doesn't matters what name is on them, does it?
I feel this goes for most products really.

Graham
The point is that ppl were complaining about the old name and it seems they thought so themselves. So IF they already consider a new name, why not do it right?
The new name is exactly the same thing as the old one (same "idea" or "style". More a description than a "name")!

It can be so simple: Like making tracknames....brainstorm, write down ideas, play with words. At some point there will be a moment of "that's it!"

Spontaneous ideas: (like Machine Head's in the post before me)

- Simplugz
- Smart DSP
- EasyPlugs
- ToneTools
- Plug inc.
- MixTools
- CoolTools
- PlugMix (without the "&" sounds better already IMO) etc. etc. etc.

But yeah, whatever....I'll use Clarisonix either way No matter what the name will be.
Old 29th December 2011
Administrator

Ok i'll play for the laugh.....MixPlugs.....is that taken?

Graham
Old 29th December 2011
Gear Maniac

What about "plug in, plug on and plug out"
Old 29th December 2011
Gear Maniac

Or "mixarrhea"
Old 29th December 2011
Administrator

Why the constant hate man, both here and in the past over these.

Graham
Old 29th December 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Or "mixarrhea"
LOL !

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the comments...

For me PRO blabla no longer sounds pro !

Plug&Mix is straight forward and talks for itself as I don't think "Plug&Play" is pejorative in any way as stated above...

I love Plug&Play tools that are well designed and intuitive to use ! Pro plug-ins should be Plug&Mix as equivalent audio hardware right ? Does any engineer need to read a 400 page manual to use a TubeTech CL1B

I just think we need to get used to the name as for any other brand that hammered their brand with strong marketing & advertising for years... That is certainly our main investment from now on as continuing to make good software

Cheers - Peter
Old 29th December 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
LOL !

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the comments...

For me PRO blabla no longer sounds pro !

Plug&Mix is straight forward and talks for itself as I don't think "Plug&Play" is pejorative in any way as stated above...

I love Plug&Play tools that are well designed and intuitive to use ! Pro plug-ins should be Plug&Mix as equivalent audio hardware right ? Does any engineer need to read a 400 page manual to use a TubeTech CL1B

I just think we need to get used to the name as for any other brand that hammered their brand with strong marketing & advertising for years... That is certainly our main investment from now on as continuing to make good software

Cheers - Peter
I hope all goes well, although i prefer DC Plugs.
Plug&Mix reminds me of the Defunct Woolworths
Old 2nd January 2012
Gear Maniac

I stated this on the DC forums but it bears repeating:

"I also think that time spent on name changes are counterproductive. If need be just use the initials 'DC' and let the words they stand for become enigmatic. That way all you need to do is change the graphics and not worry about registry issues; in the registry, references to "Dontcrack" can remain unchanged. Keep focused on the sound and making great plugs. My two cents. "

By maintaining the "DC" moniker all you need to do is paint out the "DontCrac[k]" portion of the logo and get on with developing plugs. Seriously, man, "DC" can mean anything and it does have a technical connotation ("Direct Current" even sounds better than "Plug&Mix"). Maintaining "DC" as your logo implies a sense of progression and history.

Sigh, and I hate to be critical but the logo and name you are currently considering sounds amateurish to me. At least "DontCrac[k]" had a sense of moral weightiness to it and supported the idea of good sounding, solid, affordable plugs, that could help eliminate the financial impetus for those who use lack of financial resources as a reason to use cracked software. Stick with "DC" and maintain the history of that moral stance.

Again, my two cents.
Old 2nd January 2012
Administrator

@optofonik +1

Graham
Old 2nd January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grahamdwc View Post
@optofonik +1

Graham

+2
Old 2nd January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasoundjunkie View Post
+2
+3!
Old 2nd January 2012
Lives for gear

The name is fine..some people over think this kind of thing to death.
L.
Old 8th February 2012
Lives for gear

I wasn't a fan of the old branding (althought it wouldn't sway a purchase decision on my part), but the new name and logo is just plain awful.

They haven't listened to the complaints properly, and they're looking at the problem from the completely wrong angle. No-one was asking for a complete re-branding. There's nothing wrong with the old name in itself. It's just people don't appreciate having the word "Crack" in their face all the time.

All they need to do to is come up with a new logo containing the letters "DC", and make the plugins list under "DC Plugins" or something similar in DAWs - problem solved. No slaving over a rebranding campaign and no confusion.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search