The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Don't Crack VIP Series plugins Saturation Plugins
Old 21st September 2011
Gear Nut

Hi Solar,

And also thank you and others for the great feedback and testimonials that help us improve our products.

All the best - Peter
Old 21st September 2011
Lives for gear

Thanks for the update!

One thing: Have you guys actually used the SPL transient designer?
Your plugin is VERY different. The sustain actually emphasizes the attack.
In the SPL the sustain PULLS the signal into length (well, that's why it's called "sustain").
You really can't compare these, as you are at the moment.

Would you consider having your guys think about working on this?

Ok, reloaded the new version...somehow seems different now BUT I get a really nasty and loud crackle when using the sustain function.
Also the attack detector seems to slow somehow. It's not snappy at all.

Loving the plate though. It sits so well in the mix, whenever I tried. Really good! (PLEASE add a pre delay )
Old 21st September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontCrack View Post
Hi Solar,

And also thank you and others for the great feedback and testimonials that help us improve our products.

All the best - Peter
You're most welcome @Peter. And your ECho plugins is indeed really nice Keep up the good work!

Cheers!
Old 21st September 2011
Gear Addict

Thx DC will try the improved RTAS DIM D for Win7. Since I have the UAD version let the shootout begin.
Old 22nd September 2011
with new version i delete sam.ini in samplitude and reverb seems to work, but the new 1.1 transient designer have erratic changes of gain
if i put 1.0 all goes fine again
Old 22nd September 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wilson View Post
Thx DC will try the improved RTAS DIM D for Win7. Since I have the UAD version let the shootout begin.
Thanks Mr. Wilson,

Please do let us know where we stand and how we can improve...

Kind Regards - Peter
Old 22nd September 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by itbalcubo View Post
with new version i delete sam.ini in samplitude and reverb seems to work, but the new 1.1 transient designer have erratic changes of gain
if i put 1.0 all goes fine again
Hi itbalcubo,

We'll look in to that. Thanks for reporting.

BR - Peter
Old 22nd September 2011
Gear Guru

Hmmm... a processor named 'Clarisonix', with a control named 'Focus' and another named 'Clarity'...

Daringly original!

Gregory Scott - ubk
Old 22nd September 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by u b k View Post
Hmmm... a processor named 'Clarisonix', with a control named 'Focus' and another named 'Clarity'...

Daringly original!

Gregory Scott - ubk
$1749? No demo? Don't worry I doubt that you have the same target audience as the DC $49 version.
Old 22nd September 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:

Daringly original!

Gregory Scott - ubk
the irony being yours is?

EDIT: sorry, I misunderstood your comment and can understand your beef with a developer for copycating the names to appear as what I can only presume as... an emulation of some sorts (although "focus" is somewhat common in tone shaping circuits)
Old 22nd September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:

Daringly original!

Gregory Scott - ubk
To be fair, the DC plug is not an eq. It is a harmonic effect, like Waves MaxxBass or Lowender.
Old 22nd September 2011
Gear Addict

Dear oh dear. Pot, kettle, black...

Greg, keep doing what you do so well, because flaming devs you consider to be inferior to your copycat produce ain't clever, no matter how good it is. Even Behringer don't stoop that low, buddy!

Sent from my HTC Sensation using Gearslutz.com App
Old 22nd September 2011
Lives for gear

But he is UBK...
Old 22nd September 2011
Gear Addict

He could be the son of God for all I care...I say it like I read it - being condescending is neither big nor clever.

Old 22nd September 2011
Gear Guru

I wasn't being condescending, I was being facetious.

It's quite a thing to bust your ass coming up with something remotely original and interesting in a world oversaturated with mediocrity and unoriginality. To see my ideas jacked so directly and unapologetically, right down to a slightly modified homonym for the actual name of the product, is disappointing at best and deeply irritating at worst.

That I could be construed as the pot calling the kettle black here is puzzling to me, and how exactly the Clariphonic is a copycat product is even less clear. I seem to have touched a nerve here like I'm the big bad analog wolf picking on the poor hapless digital plugin developer, but any way I come at this I'm the one here with a legitimate gripe. If my style of announcing my gripe offends, so be it; if you worked for 18 months to design a product and manufacture it in the real world only to see your ideas copped without so much as a thank you, you might have a sense of how I feel in this moment.

Gregory Scott - ubk
Old 22nd September 2011
Gear Addict

No, but the Fatso is...

Old 22nd September 2011
Gear Guru

The UBK Fatso is a modified version of the original, done with the permission and guidance of the man who created it in the first place, and marketed and sold as such. It is not an original piece and does not claim to be, all I've done is modify the detector circuit.

What am I missing here?

Gregory Scott - ubk
Old 22nd September 2011
Gear Addict

...your attitude and short-sightedness, Greg. Let me break it down for you: not everybody can afford your product, so we make do with what we can, as inferior it is in comparison to your product.

Just don't spoil it for the day we can afford to buy your admittedly excellent products after we have saved and scrimped for it. That's all I'm saying!

Old 22nd September 2011
Lives for gear

I don't have one particular stance on the issue, but I do find it awfully strange that a company that prides itself on protecting intellectual property (don't crack) would be so blatantly referencing the gear they copied making the plugins (see the product description page)
Old 22nd September 2011
well, I'm one of the lucky guys who actually owns a Clariphonic and I also just bought the DC bundle, and as far as I can tell with my old age ears, they sound nothing alike!! Greg has nothing to worry about with the Clarisonix as it doesn't even come close to his Clariphonic. They seem like very different concepts, audio-wise.

I love my UBK gear and I can understand Greg being bugged by a software developer using names that evoke the other products attributes.

BTW, Greg- are you gonna tell us about the UBK plug in that is being discussed on another thread!?
Old 22nd September 2011
Lives for gear

IF the plugin was a similar effect, I could understand UBK being upset. Since they are totally different tools aimed at totally different markets....it just seems silly to get too bent out of shape over.
Old 22nd September 2011
Gear Addict

On reflection, we could give Greg the benefit of the doubt and cut him some slack by admitting that DC should have not designed the GUI to look like one of his products, but that's as far as I'll give.

At the end of the day, you would be a fool to believe that the plugin you use is going to be totally similar in sonic terms like the actual hardware it purports to emulate. 'Inspired by'? I can digest that, but nothing more. This is where I feel particularly sorry for UAD users, because let's face it, as much as they deliver, they're NOT the real thing...

Old 23rd September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody Aki View Post
On reflection, we could give Greg the benefit of the doubt and cut him some slack by admitting that DC should have not designed the GUI to look like one of his products, but that's as far as I'll give.

At the end of the day, you would be a fool to believe that the plugin you use is going to be totally similar in sonic terms like the actual hardware it purports to emulate. 'Inspired by'? I can digest that, but nothing more. This is where I feel particularly sorry for UAD users, because let's face it, as much as they deliver, they're NOT the real thing...

"Inspired by" you mean "Clarity" and "Focus"? Gimme a break! This plugins is not even TRYING to be the ubk Clariphonic EQ...it's something totally different...I mean TOTALLY!
As mentioned before, it's a subharmonic enhancer with some extra features (Clarity, which somehow emphasizes the upper mids/highs - Not like a typical EQ though)

It's the wrong moment/place/situation/product to acuse a developer to be a thief of somebody elses idea.
This reminds me of something like Airwindows coming up with these crazy ideas of Slate vs. Airwindows! (I don't remember the exact situation but it reminds me of it.)

I can tell you why I'm "defending" the Don'tCrack guys right now:

1) I think Greg (allthough he could find reasons, because of the "clarity" and "focus" thing - just test the damn plugin..) is not correct in this case - sorry Greg!

2) I had a few Gin Tonic's and my mouth (I mean my fingers on the keyboard) are a bit lose.

I think the idea of these plugins is great and not completely "I'm dumb and push one knob (<---hint) to achieve that cool sound I always hear on the radio" type of thing.
Because they "work" as real, fully functional plugins, no matter if they are just "ok" or fantastic.

Will I get banned now?

P.S. Woody: It's NOT aimed at you! Just "zapped" through this last page, so...
Old 23rd September 2011
Gear Addict

It's alright pal. It's good to rant sometimes.
Besides, I've given grief and praise to both UBK and DC equally, absorbing both sides of the argument thoroughly. I just wish we take matters a little less seriously, move on and do what we do...

Old 23rd September 2011
Lives for gear

At least they did not use the same color scheme.
Old 23rd September 2011
Gear Nut

Dear gregory from ubk,

We apologies if somehow our Clarisonix plug-in offended you in anyway… But please do believe there was no attempt to suck the blood out of your great Clariphonic EQ at the contrary...

Only "hot" products inspire plug-in developers and you may also take this as an acknowledgement of interest for your product…

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishmed View Post
Absolutely ! We certainly didn't mean to fool our users buy coping design or stating it is a pure emulation of you product. "focus" and "clarity" are common attributes in tone shaping and somehow a reference to such products as "MakeUp" and other terms that clarify the use of certain control knobs.

Perhaps will our Clarisonix plug-in bring interest for certain users to know why and where such audio tools come from ;-)

We also have this statement on all product pages that "refer" to other manufacturers products :

DISCLAIMER

All product names used above are trademarks of their respective owners which are in no way associated or affiliated with DontCrack. These trademarks of other manufacturers are used solely to identify the products of those manufacturers whose tones and sounds we studied during DontCrack’s sound model development.

Hope that brings some kind of understanding.

Kind Regards - Peter
Old 23rd September 2011
dio
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishmed View Post
You mean the ****ty color that is all over their products?

Yes, thank God!!!
Old 23rd September 2011
Gear Maniac

I am so with ubk and ruud unit on this one.
Old 23rd September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deniz:Wilson View Post
I am so with ubk and ruud unit on this one.
For the record, I don't think they're wrong to make plugins that do similar things to certain pieces of hardware or other plugins. I just find the moral rhetoric and the marketing pitch a bit contradictory in a funny sort of way, that's all. Like in that "surely someone thought this through, right?" sort of way...
Old 23rd September 2011
Lives for gear

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. Sometimes that's hard to swallow but unless said imitation is actually diverting business from you.... <shrug>
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search