The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Don't Crack VIP Series plugins Saturation Plugins
Old 17th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfx View Post
Looking through a majority reflect alot of tools existing already in my rig. However for those who haven't got into heavy plugin purchasing (and want to be legit!) the NC offer price is very good.
My thoughts exactly. An they also offer to double the amount of plug-ins free of charge next year.

"In 2012 we will expand the DontCrack V.I.P. bundle to over 40 plug-ins – and as you are a V.I.P. customer we won't ask you for any more money !"

Tempting, especially for us Gearslutz...heh
Old 17th September 2011
Gear Addict

I'm not even bothering to download the demo because of the "Don't crack" branding and the logo on the VU-Meters. I know it's all about the sound but it looks crappish.

It's an unprofessional sounding name and they should change it to Nomad or if there are other companies involved to something else. I also don't like the name because it's an imperative. And I don't want to read an imperative everytime I use a plugin especially because I spend thousands upon thousands on plugins.
Old 17th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfx View Post
I got to say that these look appealing on the surface (not demoed yet). Looking through a majority reflect alot of tools existing already in my rig. However for those who haven't got into heavy plugin purchasing (and want to be legit!) the NC offer price is very good. There is definately something in there for everyone. Solars quote ''these are ONE if NOT the BEST sounding plugins Nomad Factory have created to date'' seems to be a mighty claim as indicating these are Nomad and despite some peoples views on NF products their Magentic and Echoes are superb so fill your boots with these. Not sure a comparisson to Waves One Knob is fair as these cover a wider range of effects and dynamics, but saying that the one knobs series is down to $200 + ilok (if not already owned) and softube have their upto 50% deals at the moment so my brakes are on the credit card this week. Got to respect NoCrack's offers when they come around. Monitoring thread to see what peoples take and impressions are on these.
Hey mfx!!

Please Quote me well mate, cuz I stated "I Believe" meaning ain't absolutely sure & to my ears as an owner of some NF plugins, if happens that NF is behind this, I think they are one of their best (not all). And my reference to the Waves One Knob (is towards the ONE KNOB Concept) as there are not much thing to do to Dial up right? Thats all mate

So far, i'm liking them and as for a Quick to Go plugins before diving into deep to my other collections of "heavy plugins", I think they are very good. Now as far as pricing, indeed, could have been better Deal

Cheers!!
Old 17th September 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solar View Post
Hey Fellas!

I don't know if you guys heard about these babies but Must check these out

VIP Series Tech Support Pages

I believe, it's even obvious that all the work development was done by Nomad Factory.

All I can say, to my ears, after installing the DEMO (that you can download in that link above, at the bottom of the page), those familiar with NF plugins, these are ONE if NOT the BEST sounding plugins Nomad Factory have created to date.

My 2 cents but they are so musicial its simply amazing. And the Concept is very simple, just like the Waves One Knob plugin or something like that.

Go download and have a listen for yourself folks!

Cheers

Hi Solar,

First let me thank you for preceding our announcement on GS. We will officially announce the launch of our new product line next tuesday. Reading the fine comments here is a great opportunity for us to fine tune our products and marketing before launch and we truly thank you for that.

I will try to bring clear answers to all questions that have been posted above. But first, let me tell you a little more about our project that has been on the rails for quite some time. Perhaps should I simply take you to our news announcement that I hope clearly explains why we believe our plug-in line has a true place in todays market.

As many of us at DontCrack are deeply involved in music production, we did monitor the need for high quality while time effective plug-ins. "In today?s market, music production is constantly evolving. Producers and artists alike need professional sounding plug-ins that are simple and easy-to-use. All too often, precious studio time is wasted struggling with audio plug-ins that are unnecessarily complicated to install and operate. Plug-ins need to inspire creativity, not restrain it !" Doesn't that make sense ?

Now concerning your thoughts about the GUIs and Nomad Factory :

As someone mentioned somewhere above, we always had great relations with the folks at Nomad Factory and we will certainly not hide that they have been a great source of inspiration in the development of our products. We nevertheless also worked with many other great developers that also strongly contributed in the development of our plug-ins… Unfortunately, we cannot say much more about the business relations we have with third party developers as we signed agreements where we stated that we will not divulge any information concerning third party companies that contributed in the development of our products...

Now for the GUIs, sure they are kinda Nomad Like... They have been made by Hans Van Even (MusicWorks) as he is one of the best designers around. He has worked on most Nomad Factory's Graphics but he also designs for Cakewalk, Sonalskis, Yellow Tools, isotope and so many others...

Hope that answers your thoughts. We're truly glad to see most of you appreciate our efforts in providing a nice and easy line of plug-ins that we think is useful in every day studio tasks. We also need your feedback for the upcoming plug-ins... We will open our official forum board next week for user feedback, testimonials, bug report and specially new plug-in suggestions. We do try to be as close as possible to the REAL users demand...

Thanks for the great comments !

Kind Regards - Peter
Old 17th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dappolito View Post
I'm not even bothering to download the demo because of the "Don't crack" branding and the logo on the VU-Meters. I know it's all about the sound but it looks crappish.
I agree on this point.
I wish they would just stick to 'DC'.

That being said, I will def. demo those to hear them as well ...

FWIW, I like these guys and what they do

G
Old 17th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemylon View Post
I agree on this point.
I wish they would just stick to 'DC'.
Should be 'DCA' DontCrackAgain
Old 17th September 2011
Lives for gear

Really liking the plate reverb! Something I was missing. It has that certain (metallic but not unpleasant) feel to it, which I couldn't replace with Valhalla etc.

The transient designer thing is a bit weird. AFAIK the sustain on the SPL "drags" the drum hits very loooong...here it all reacts VERY different.
My impression is that the sustain even accentuates the transients...somehow weird.

My favorite ones are (as said before) Clarisonix (a plugin that isn't already there in 20 versions by other devs) and retro compressor (and brightness I guess)

It's fun to use these plugins, since they're easy to use and look really nice.
Old 17th September 2011
Lives for gear

So far, I've tried and like the Analoger, plate and Dim 3D--the latter of which I've been a/b'ing with ERS Dim D. I can get pretty much the same sound out of the DC, so I may go with DC when ERS demo is up as it's a bit cheaper.

Am I the only one demoing for which the controls don't do anything after like 2 minutes, or is this the demo limitation (AU)? The big knob disappeared off the Analoguer once, also, though it seemed to still be working...strange and a little buggy for demo purposes. What is the demo limitation? I always appreciate when developers note that somewhere on the download page and I didn't see it.

They also don't hold settings when you copy from one channel to another--if not a demo limitation, a bit of a drag...

Analoger gets some really nice things happening--sounds good several sources--like it on bass, vocals, drums, etc. for subtle sat to heavy distortion, and different from decapitator, which I have already. Interesting...
Old 17th September 2011
Lives for gear

+1 on using DC instead of, "Don't Crack," I think that would be an undeniably wise move...

Also--would rapidly ditch the "less" and "more" arrows--totally amateur...
Old 18th September 2011
Gear Nut

+1 it would be wise to change "don't crack" to something, anything else. Can't wait to try them though.
Old 18th September 2011
Gear Maniac

i know nobody asked for any opinions regarding that issue but i'd strongly advise to amend the name. don't crack sucks big time, name wise. so does dc. call it something positive. i'm sure they sound awesome and all, but i'd never work with a plugin on a constant basis thats called don't crack, no matter if i payed for it or not. it's too negative and dictating. my 2c. good luck though..
Old 18th September 2011
Gear Addict

Wow, I thought I was all alone with my opinion about the Don't Crack logo

The GUI's overall look really good tho and I like the positive attempt of the Don't Crack organization AFAIK. Making affordable bundles instead of lobbying for harder laws is a positive approach I like.
Old 18th September 2011
Lives for gear

I don't hate it, I just think DC would be better--I also like the meaning. I actually dislike the "less," "more" and arrows more than the "don't crack," though haha, and the fact that they're buggy on Logic out the gate...
Old 18th September 2011
Gear Nut

Indeed, they sounds really good. Good work The logo does not bother me, I am interested in good sounds. 'Don't Crack' is the name of the Company, so I think it's normal to read their name on the plugins, just Company advertisement. Or did someone feel guilty if he reed this? heh ..my 2 cents

I think 299 Dollar is a good deal for the VIP bundle. And next year, with a lot more new, free plugins for all VIP customers....

Ordered

Have fun
Machine Head
Old 18th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Have you seen the gui? You can barely see what value your knobs are at... - at least place a white line so I can work without squinting is that so hard?
Old 18th September 2011
Lives for gear

@Peter Donovan

Pleasure is mine and as many, these plugins are a very good approach and will & are already of good use.

Keep up the good work and whatever guys do, make sure you reach & create and mod great sounding plugins in each of them. Often GUI are amazing (which is good to have great GUI, nice to work with) but the don't forget the Sound whether its an emulation or completely different plugin style but it needs to sound good.

Keep up the good work DC & your Collaborators

Good luck,

Cheers
Old 19th September 2011
Gear Nut

I spent an hour or so with them today.

Nice looking GUI - Check (minus the knob indicators and logo)
Good Price - Check (the bundle price is very reasonable)
Good Potential: Check (doubling the plugin count within the year is an ambitious goal)
Usefullness: Check / No Check (If you want to dial in a sound quickly and easily but not it you're into finite tweaking).
Old 19th September 2011
Lives for gear

great plate reverb...
Old 19th September 2011
Lives for gear

Thumbs down

Yeah, the DOnT CRACK Name sounds terrible, amateur and like a freebie from Computer Music Mag.

CHANGE THE NAME!! is about sound.....your dont crack statement is col, but on a Plug In????
Old 19th September 2011
Gear Addict

don't fool yourself with the most miniscule materialistic virus of an idea that you even care what the logo is on a plug-in. Even a pirate shouldn't care as long as it sounds good. The only thing "amateurish" is the stereotype you place over yourself in society
Old 19th September 2011
Lives for gear

I could care less what these plugins are called...

After spending some time with these, I think they are quite good overall. The standouts for me are the Echoflex, Plate, and Clarisonix. All three of those do something I can't get any of my other plugs to do. It would be nice to have a predelay control in the Plate plug, but I'll survive.

I like Analoger, but so far prefer SATV, Decapitator, or Magnetic on everything I tried it on. The Transcontrol plug seems ok, but I prefer Flux's Bitter/Sweet - which is free.

The compressors, modulation fx, etc. all seem good (or great) also - I'm not convinced I need them though, so now I have to decide whether I want to spring for the bundle or just buy the ones I really want...

If anyone is just jumping in to the world of non-stock plugins, I would recommend checking out the bundle. I'm sure you could do great work with just these.
Old 19th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobsterinn View Post

If anyone is just jumping in to the world of non-stock plugins, I would recommend checking out the bundle. I'm sure you could do great work with just these.

My feeling too
Old 19th September 2011
Lives for gear

Personally, the name doesn't bother me at all. In fact, it's actually funny because of the amount of crack teams around. It's also very easy to remember and sticks out. I don't see what the name has to do with the sound or "professionalism", granted it's not named something obscene, derogatory or racist, and it's not. My demo is still downloading, but I'll be back to give my input after I test it. Thanks to the Don't Crack team for these babies. Beautiful effort!

Edit:
Tried it in FL, but it refused to generate any sound. Looked nice though.
Old 19th September 2011
Gear Addict

i tried the demo but in both RTAS and VST the Dimension D plug didn't show up on my win7 rig. Too bad since I was most interested in that one. Found a bug in the way it's named in Pro Tools plugin folder. It's missing a "." before the dpm extension. Tried to edit/fix/hack that and it crashed me big time, had to uninstall and even reinstall MS C++ runtime to get my rig back up...yikes too much hacking for me, and I hate when that happens. Come to think of it the Nomad stuff was always sorta buggy, crappy, so many other plugs work better. They are nice looking GUIs tho. Good luck to DC and evryone else trying this.
Old 19th September 2011
Here for the gear

I have been trying these out for a good few hours now and have to say they are nice. There are some plugins in the bundle that I wouldn't use but the Electro Optical, Digital Plate, Digital Reverb, Clarisonix, Brightness, and Analoger would see some use in my studio.

I did experience some bugs though while testing them out including knobs simply disapearing from the GUI. (tested in Live, Reaper)

Well worth checking out.
Old 19th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobsterinn View Post

After spending some time with these, I think they are quite good overall. The standouts for me are the Echoflex, Plate, and Clarisonix. All three of those do something I can't get any of my other plugs to do. It would be nice to have a predelay control in the Plate plug, but I'll survive.

I like Analoger, but so far prefer SATV, Decapitator, or Magnetic on everything I tried it on. The Transcontrol plug seems ok, but I prefer Flux's Bitter/Sweet - which is free.

The compressors, modulation fx, etc. all seem good (or great) also - I'm not convinced I need them though, so now I have to decide whether I want to spring for the bundle or just buy the ones I really want...

I totally agree. I even find Echoflex nicer than Nomad ECHOES!
Why I prefer Analoger to Magnetic is the fact that I can dial in the saturation a bit better (Magnetic often changes the sound too much, just by inserting it. What I mean is, that when I'm using a low tuned 808 kick, Magnetic ALWAYS does this thing where it seems the kick is suddenly tuned higher. Not in the actual pitch but the pitch envelope type feel).

The plate is very good and I will get it (yes, a pre delay would be cool).

Quote:
Originally Posted by suicidebomber
don't fool yourself with the most miniscule materialistic virus of an idea that you even care what the logo is on a plug-in. Even a pirate shouldn't care as long as it sounds good. The only thing "amateurish" is the stereotype you place over yourself in society
Yeahahaha...totally!
Old 19th September 2011
Some of these sound pretty usable after a quick test, but the GUI goes completely dead after 30 seconds or so (Logic 9). Even changing a preset won't affect anything. Maybe the 30 minute demo functionality is 30 sec by accident on some plugs?
Old 19th September 2011
Gear Head

I quite like the Echo Flex, it definately reminds me of my old Echoplex which I threw out in the garbage back in '86 (I've regretted it ever since!). It adds "warmth" to my guitar sound like the old box used to.
Old 19th September 2011
Gear Nut

Dear friends,

Well first I really want to thank all of you for the great feedback and the cool testimonials. We do hear the "DontCrack" name can be somehow annoying but one thing we can agree on is that it leaves no one indifferent ;-) Not sure it would be wise to change it at this point...

We are having a hard time reproducing the 30 sec freeze problem. We were only able to reproduce it on Mac using Windows under Parralel but we are working on it.

As stated on the product pages the demo limitations are (or should be ;-)

• Stop processing signal after 30 minutes.
• Presets cannot be saved.
• Controls cannot be automated.
• After 30 minutes you may relaunch the plug-in for your demo to become active again.

We fixed the in/out problem running FL Studio and an update 1.0.1 is almost ready and will be available in the next days...

In the new version we will have new knobs with much clearer value position. Thanks for reporting this !

We opened an official DC Plug-ins forum board for users to post bug reports, testimonials, user feedback but most of all, a thread where we ask which DC plug-ins you guys would like to see us come up with in the next months. Keep in mind that we want all DC plug-ins to be simple and easy to use. Your suggestions are most welcome as at the end, it is YOU that will use them

Please let me know if I forgot anything...

And again, thanks for the great feedback. We look forward to bring more nice & easy plug-ins that changes the way we think about plug-ins ;-)

Kind Regards - Peter
Old 19th September 2011
Gear Addict

Cool

The DONT CRACK name is awful , what a bad choice, that shows mediocrity in a way, because if your ambitions are high as a Plug in company , "How far do you thing you can go under that name"???

I know is all about sound, but that name is really one of the worst choices for a Plug in.

I asked few friends about the name all say, are u joking????, ugly name, sounds amateurish..
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search