The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Waves :Eddie Kramer, Tape, Tubes & Transistors Saturation Plugins
Old 19th September 2011
Here for the gear

I really dug the EQ especially on bass and keys and I use it a lot now, I think it's very unique, haven't tried the comp much, just a quick a/b with the Pchild and prefered the P.
Old 19th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gear Geek View Post
I did not like the eq either but don't really use it as a typical eq. I use it for the preamp saturation. I even like how the low noise setting works on this one. It does have a very nice low end boost with just 1-2 db where other eq's fail.

I use the EQ for the preamp saturation, as well. It's absolutely brilliant. And - I must admit, that I didn't "get" the EQ at first.... but I played around with it, watch a few demos, read about the old Olympic set-up, and if you keep yourself in-mind of how it actually works (not like a regular graphic EQ, etc.) and how the adjustments are graduated, you can get some seriously great sounding mixes. Granted, you can get seriously great sounding mixes from a lot of EQ's (probably a lot quicker if you're not versed in the Helios), but there is a bit of imagination involved here. It's a "vintage" emulation, after all.

But yes - the preamp is completely amazing. I hardly ever mix without it.
Old 23rd September 2011
PDC
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeezo View Post
Link pls to the show you refer to
Rock 'n' Roll Fantasy Camp - Season 2 | Show Cast, Episodes, Guides, Trailers, Web Exclusives, Previews | VH1.com
Old 23rd September 2011
Lives for gear

thks ...but as i'm in Paris ..i wasn't aware of this show at all ...lol
Checking it now ....

So basically you're saying that kramer never use its own plugins ....that's it ..at least in this video ....

Edit : impossible to watch the video outside the US .....
Old 17th November 2011
Gear Head

Upgrade To KTTT or something else?

A couple of days ago, I bought the KMT, and now Waves sent me a $100 voucher, which has me thinking about using the discount to complete the Kramer Tapes, Tubes and Transistors bundle.

I've got the Demos for the PYE and HLS, and I've thought about downloading the CLA Compressors to see how they compare.

I know that they're two different tools, and I'm pretty sure that I like the KTTT bundle, but I want to hear from people that have the CLA Bundle as well as the KTTT. (Should I be making a new thread for this or is it okay to post here?)

With my overall mixing style, I'm going for a very british vintage sound in general. That being said, do you think I would get more mileage out of the KTTT or the CLA. I look to the CLA mainly because of all of the talk about 1176s being such great comps.

Also, I've been all over GS the last few days, and the IKM Black 76 has caught my attention. It sounds like people think the IKM sounds better than the CLA.

With that line of thinking, I'm leaning towards getting the KTTT bundle completed now and picking up the IKM Black later.

With a british vintage goal in mind, is KTTT the best way to go? I should add that I recently acquired VCC and LOVE it! So far, I think it's carried me the farthest of any plugin towards the sound I've wanted.
Old 18th November 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JyPsycaL View Post
I look to the CLA mainly because of all of the talk about 1176s being such great comps.
I have both the KTTT and CLA Bundle. I have VCC. I don't have the IKM.

The 1176 is great but for me the LA-2A is the stand out in the bundle. Great on vocals and many other things.

Hard choice, get both if you can. The CLA Bundle is on special at the moment too.
If you have to choose one I would get the CLA Bundle because you have VCC.

Apart from VCC which I use on basically every track, the most used plugs out of this lot are LA-2A and KMT.
Old 18th November 2011
Gear Addict

There are waves resellers too.
I managed to get the kramer TTT and CLA comps for a total of $ 300
with discounts and the waves voucher.

Sent from my Samsung iPhone lookalike

Last edited by gingataff; 18th November 2011 at 11:28 AM.. Reason: It was cheaper than I thought
Old 18th November 2011
Gear Head

The thing is I'm probably already over my budget. I spoke to the band today and mentioned what I was considering. One of my bandmates said he would throw down some cash if I purchased the CLA stuff, so it looks like I may go that route. Even with him throwing down, I don't think I can buy both right now. But I do have that awkward plugin acquisition endorphin running through my blood because of the Waves voucher. :P

My next step is to install the CLA Bundle Demo and start messing with both the TTT and the CLA on my next mix. I think this will get me the answers I'm looking for. I always find it interesting to see what people have to say, but in the end, it comes down to actual use. Speaking of which, where do you think both packages shine the most?

The other day, I tried putting the PYE on a drum buss that already had an IK Vintage 670 on it. No matter what I did, I couldn't get it to sound as good as the 670. The 670 in lat/vert mode gives you so much control over kick/snare vs overheads. I did end up throwing the PYE on the kick drum before the buss, but I wasn't SOLD on it.

That being said, the mix was already mostly finished. I'll try to see what I can do with a new mix.
Old 18th November 2011
Gear Head

So I've been playing with the drums in a mix and switching around plugins. When setting the 1176 and the PIE for similar amounts of GR, I've noticed the PIE makes other tracks more noticeable (cymbals and bleed-through) on individual channels like kick and snare. It seems like the 1176 can bring out the source I want more, which means it's winning the compressor battle.

The la2a vs the PIE on the drum bus was a tough choice. I felt like I was getting more character out of PIE, but the LA2A was more transparent. I ended up leaving the LA2A on the drum bus in the interest of a less noticeable compression sound. While some compression artifacts are fun to play with, I come from the school of thought that it's better if people can't really tell that there's compression going on.

That being said, the HLS is doing some great EQ on the Kick drum that I'm having trouble mimicking with any other plugs in my arsenal. If I can't find a nice alternative with the plugs I have, I might end up getting both bundles. That being said, I'm more into the CLA Bundle right now than I am the TTT.

Lat
Old 18th November 2011
Gear Head

Well, I spent about six hours creating a mix using both the TTT and the CLA Bundle demos. Throughout the workflow, I most often felt like I found the sound I wanted with the CLA stuff, and then I would try to recreate that setting with the TTT. That's as far as compression is concerned, but as I mentioned previously, I was really digging the HLS EQ on Kick. I ended up finding some settings with an IKM Prog EQ 1A that sounded close but still not quite the same.

After many hours, I decided to bounce a track with all CLA compressors and EQs that I previously owned, and I made an alternate bounce with the PIE in place of the CLA compressors (even though I may have other compressors I would use in certain instances) and the HLS in place of EQs.

Next I loaded up both mixes into one project where I can switch between them on the fly. The difference is not immediately apparent at all. I feel like I'm getting more clear details in the Highs with the CLA, and I used the LA2A on a rhythm guitar bus, which I feel makes it easier to hear the rhythm guitars when compared with the PIE version.

On the other hand, the extra highs almost seem like they might be too harsh when the song is really cranked. The PIE version sounds more pleasing at high volume levels, and it seems like it's got more definition in the low end.

When looking at the metering, the PIE seems like it's turned out way more compressed, but I had done my best to match gain reduction and output from the various compressors.

Overall, I think I can see a good use for both bundles, but I really don't want to end up buying both. Because the TTT sounds so close to the CLA, I'm thinking I may just go with that option for now and pick up the CLA or another 1176, LA2A package at a later date.
Old 20th November 2011
Gear Head

Well, I guess I'm talking to Waves Universe about getting both bundles with a discount and the plugin voucher. After this, no more buying for a bit. tutt

After making mixes that were okay yesterday to test things out. I decided to make mixes thinking more along the lines of what can these plugins do, and what can I do with my current setup.

I discovered that with the CLA Bundle, it's possible to compress EXTREMELY heavily without losing transient information. When I tried to compress with any other compressors I have, I simply couldn't get the same results.

The problem is that I fell in love with the HLS during this whole process, so I feel like I have to have both now.

It looks like that tough decision was too tough.
Old 20th November 2011
Gear Addict

if you get the kttt bundle first waves will send you a $ 200 voucher then use that for the cla comps. I did just that with waves universe and I'm very happy with the price. you can then use your current $ 100 for something else.

Sent from my Samsung iPhone lookalike
Old 20th November 2011
Gear Head

They told me that since I would be getting the upgrade version (already bought the KMT) of KTTT, I wouldn't be eligible for the $200 voucher.

I keep going back and forth. If I apply the voucher to the CLA bundle with their pricing on CLA it's $157.21.

If I get the upgrade to KTTT using the voucher, it's $65.65.

If I get both, it's $273.79, which is the voucher applied to the KTTT and then the leftover $33 from the voucher applied to the CLA bundle.

Overall, the CLA Bundle looks like a great deal, and the KTTT looks like a great deal, but together, I feel a bit differently.

Knowing that I can get the CLA for $157 (with $100 voucher applied to just CLA) that makes it look like I'm paying $116 for the KTT. When I consider that I already bought the KMT, that means the KTTT costs me $215! This is more than if I would have purchased the KTTT bundle for in the first place, and this is the discount price.

It seems wrong that the upgrade to KTTT would cost $134 on Waves.com without the voucher. I bought the KMT THREE DAYS AGO. It seems like I should be able to choose to upgrade to the bundle for the difference of $101 in the interest of Waves making sure that I purchased the right item. If I could do that, then I could get the $200 voucher for the CLA Bundle.

The whole problem is that I wasn't really planning on buying this much to begin with. Their vouchers got me looking to more deals in the first place.

When I saw $100 voucher, I was thinking woohoo buy one get one free. Then I find out it's only good towards a set percentage amount.

Now I've got this big hole in my pocket.
Old 21st November 2011
Gear Head

I spent a bunch of time reading through this thread last night, and I decided to do a search for T-Racks singles. After listening to a number of video and audio shootouts, I felt like the T-Racks versions of the 1176 and the LA2A were better than the CLA. It turns out Computer Music Shop (.com) is having a sale on T-Racks singles now, so I was able to get both plugins for $117.98 without using my current Waves voucher.

That means I can go ahead and upgrade to KTTT now at the price I was quoted from Waves Universe!
Old 22nd November 2011
Lives for gear

I'm demoing the KMT and really liking what it does on the mix buss. One note about this plugin: If you think you can just slap it on a fully mixed song--especially mixed to contemporary standards--and get some subtle tape vibe you're in for a let down. You have to mix into this plugin or at least setup your mix knowing what this plugin will do.

The thing about this type of plugin is that it is intended to faithfully model all or most aspects of older gear. Assuming it does that well, there are certain implications. One is that you must gain stage right. Another is that it probably sound best when you adopt some practices and gear of the experts who used the real hardware 40 years. I mean, if the whole point of this plugin is to faithfully recreate a machine intended to make 70s rock sound it's best, don't assume that 2011 rock arrangements, tracked with 2011 gear, mixed with 2011 taste, is going to sound it's best without tweaking.
Old 22nd November 2011
Gear Head

Here's a good article to help with Flux settings: From 15 MilliMaxwell to 1,200 NanoWebers HINT: Try a setting of 320 for a mono track and 514 for a stereo track. :P
Old 18th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Miller View Post
...if the whole point of this plugin is to faithfully recreate a machine intended to make 70s rock sound it's best, don't assume that 2011 rock arrangements, tracked with 2011 gear, mixed with 2011 taste, is going to sound it's best without tweaking.
Great comment. I couldn't agree more with it..
On first listen, I really liked KTTT.

After mixing through it with on the master bus for an evening...
I'm seriously loving this bundle. And freaking out about the master tape plug more than I thought I would.
Old 24th March 2012
Lives for gear

I bought this bundle initially because I was interested in Master Tape. The bundle seemed to be a better value and I liked HLS when I demoed it. The more I use these plugins, the more I find myself liberally sprinkling HLS and PIE all over my songs. I use Master Tape now and then on a source, and usually stick it on the Master, but for me, HLS and PIE really are the meat and potatoes of this bundle. Great stuff to say the least!
Old 20th May 2012
Im demoing T'sT's&T's and it runs out tommorrow,the thing is,in Sonar X1 x64,I couldn't get any of them to show up,until I copied the .dll's from the 32bit part of Windows[where the bulk of the data seemed to end up]

Then they showed,but occasionally the GUI only appears[only the PIE,and the HLS,The Tape was fine]if I selected the 32bit versions[which are "bit bridged" and worked fine]but,Iv'e NEVER had this much fooling about with "Third Party" plugins before,is this a "Waves-Sonar" peculiarity I wonder?

Also,I can't seem to find them for sale Anywhere,for less than $300,is that about the best that can be done?

I really like all of them,and the "Tape" is really good on the Master buss,and then again when importing the master into Audio Creator,for more mastering.

RK
Old 20th May 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rksguit View Post
Im demoing T'sT's&T's and it runs out tommorrow,the thing is,in Sonar X1 x64,I couldn't get any of them to show up,until I copied the .dll's from the 32bit part of Windows[where the bulk of the data seemed to end up]

Then they showed,but occasionally the GUI only appears[only the PIE,and the HLS,The Tape was fine]if I selected the 32bit versions[which are "bit bridged" and worked fine]but,Iv'e NEVER had this much fooling about with "Third Party" plugins before,is this a "Waves-Sonar" peculiarity I wonder?

Also,I can't seem to find them for sale Anywhere,for less than $300,is that about the best that can be done?

I really like all of them,and the "Tape" is really good on the Master buss,and then again when importing the master into Audio Creator,for more mastering.

RK
With Waves, you don't put the plug-in DLLs in the VST folder. You install Waves and select which plugs you want to install (x64 if you want, in v9). Then tell the installer where your 64 bit VSTs are. Waves installs a DLL called WaveShell-VST 9.0_x64.dll in the VST folder. This should be the only Waves DLL in your VST folder. It references the individual DLLs installed in the Waves/Plug-Ins folder after you scan VSTs into Sonar. You will see the individual plug-ins in Sonar's VST list, along with the WaveShell. You DO NOT put the individual DLLs in Sonar's VST folder.

Waves v9 x64 works great in Sonar. No problems whatsoever for me.
Old 20th May 2012
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rksguit View Post

Try a Waves reseller for example wavesuniverse.com, you should be able to get the bundle for at least 20% less than that.
Old 23rd May 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingataff View Post
Try a Waves reseller for example wavesuniverse.com, you should be able to get the bundle for at least 20% less than that.
Thanks for the mention. Yes, we are selling it at a discount. MAP policy precludes me from mentioning the price, but here is a link to our member prices page for Waves bundles: Member Waves Bundles

Please don't be concerned about "membership" if you are not yet a member. It is free, requires only username, email, and password, and we will not put you on a mailing list. Membership is required by Waves to show our discount prices. The page above will display all our discount pricing for Waves Bundles on one page.
Old 4th June 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by javahut View Post
With Waves, you don't put the plug-in DLLs in the VST folder. You install Waves and select which plugs you want to install (x64 if you want, in v9). Then tell the installer where your 64 bit VSTs are. Waves installs a DLL called WaveShell-VST 9.0_x64.dll in the VST folder. This should be the only Waves DLL in your VST folder. It references the individual DLLs installed in the Waves/Plug-Ins folder after you scan VSTs into Sonar. You will see the individual plug-ins in Sonar's VST list, along with the WaveShell. You DO NOT put the individual DLLs in Sonar's VST folder.

Waves v9 x64 works great in Sonar. No problems whatsoever for me.
Too true,3rd time lucky,now trying the API,all is cool,Thanks.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search