The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Steinberg UR28 Audio Interfaces
Old 12th September 2011
Old 12th September 2011
Gear Nut

nice. I'm completely happy with my mr816. how much is the mobile one?

this link answered my own question:

http://rekkerd.org/steinberg-introdu...io-interfaces/

Quote:
The UR28M is now available to purchase for 449 EUR incl. VAT. The UR824 will be available in November of this year, priced at 849 EUR incl. VAT.
Old 12th September 2011
Gear Nut

huh, im so confused by this release... why did they make a cousin of the mr816 ... is this waht the coming soon to the fall video was about ? i was hoping for a controller. why would the release a lower end interface (if thats what i am assuming this one is?) at USB 2.0 (dinosaureeee, my new thunderbolt is sleeping). Doesn't the mr816 cover the low end enough. now there are going to be 2 interfaces in the same league battling for attention from the same commissioner ! safe to say steinberg mr816 soft/updates will be less of a priority ... where is the controller or how about a higher end interface based on the great technology of the mr816 in the 1.5-2k range that crushes interfaces in that price range.
to summeraize-

seems like a huge market overlap for a product they already had out? I don't get it, am i missing something???
AND
is this officially the "coming this autumn" release? alot of people were amp'd about a new controller. ANOTHER low end interface will be a pretty major let down.
Old 12th September 2011
Gear Nut

LOL i stand corrected , it looks like this is the 1.5k interface. minus any real , useable upgrades... and downgrading to a ****tier I/O hmmm... not making sense. this is basically an mr816 on usb2 for more money? Lol Unless im missing something this may be one of the most pointless releases aside from them maybe realizing they had the mr816 priced too low and now they are trying to make up for it with a softball release ...
Old 12th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by shakermaker3 View Post
huh, im so confused by this release... why did they make a cousin of the mr816 ... is this waht the coming soon to the fall video was about ? i was hoping for a controller. why would the release a lower end interface (if thats what i am assuming this one is?) at USB 2.0 (dinosaureeee, my new thunderbolt is sleeping). Doesn't the mr816 cover the low end enough. now there are going to be 2 interfaces in the same league battling for attention from the same commissioner ! safe to say steinberg mr816 soft/updates will be less of a priority ... where is the controller or how about a higher end interface based on the great technology of the mr816 in the 1.5-2k range that crushes interfaces in that price range.
to summeraize-

seems like a huge market overlap for a product they already had out? I don't get it, am i missing something???
AND
is this officially the "coming this autumn" release? alot of people were amp'd about a new controller. ANOTHER low end interface will be a pretty major let down.
There's no Thunderbolt uptake on PCs yet, so I can understand why they're not going down that road yet - I don't know for fact but I would wager there's more Cubase installs on PCs than on Macs, and of course that's the market they're targeting.

It looks like the MR816 remains current (unless they've got something else up their sleeve) as the Firewire solution for now.

With the speed at which interfaces get introduced and refreshed or discontinued, by the time there IS a significant uptake of Thunderbolt on PCs I'm sure they'll have something else out, so stick with what you've got if you're happy.

I also don't read this to preclude any announcements of new controllers...
Old 12th September 2011
Gear Nut

yeah i know thunderbolt is still in its infancy and we won't see any TB interfaces for quite a while... it just seems like this is a step backwards I/O wise anyways, was my point. I guess they are trying to give out a usb option? seems weird though... I agree with you completely about understanding why they wouldn't go down that road fo shoo!

nice whitecat, i hope you are right! bring on the controller!!!
Old 12th September 2011
Gear Nut

The mr does 16 i/o, this one does 24. The latest interfaces from RME, Focusrite, Presonus, motu and now yamaha are all USB 2.0 or hybrid devices. USB has enough bandwidth, and latency figures are supposedly better with today's CPUs.
Old 12th September 2011
do the line inputs bypass the internal pres? anyone know?

cheers.
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear

USB 2.0 is more reliable, and stable on many computers, especially PCs than FW. I think it is a wise move forward from Steinberg, until Thunderbolt becomes more of a standard for PCs.
Old 12th September 2011
USB2 is easier to implement than firewire, whose reliability depends mostly on the host computer. Steinberg had so much trouble with the MR816 FW reliability on Windows Vista/7 that I'm sure they decided to give up and try again with USB2.

This probably means that any hope for future development of MR816 drivers and firmware is lost. Classic Steinberg move.
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

Remember that Thunderbolt incorporates the USB and Firewire protocols natively so you can connect thunderbolt to USB via an adapter cable. There is a reason all the new interfaces are coming out with uSB, do you think manufacturers are completely stupid?
Old 13th September 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumleymusic View Post
This probably means that any hope for future development of MR816 drivers and firmware is lost. Classic Steinberg move.
It's anything else than a fact that Steinberg will stop supporting the MR. But it's already a classic Steinberg move?
Beside that, looking at the feature set, the UR seems to aiming also for non Cubase users. There is no quick connect and I'm not sure if the integration is as deep as with the MR816.
I'm happy with my MR and it's still as good as it was before the UR28 was announced.
Old 13th September 2011
I downloaded the user manual, as far as I can see the integration is quite deep, I think apart from the quick connect button it is the same as the MR816. Channel strip and Rev-X show up in the input channels in the mixer, hardware settings can be edited from within Cubase, like with the MR816 the control software (MR editor) can not be started when Cubendo is used because CFubendo controls the hardware.

Personally, from the number of I/O, the UR28M looks exactly like what I need. There is just one big bummer maybe: Phantom power switiching is only for input 1+2 together, not separately. If I want to use a non-tube LDC and a guitar through DI, I need to plug cables in and out and push buttons. Or does the hi-z switch disable the phantom power on the input where it is pushed? That would be great. Otherwise, it would be pretty much a deal breaker and I rather go for the MR816 or the UR824.

But I find it cool that the UR28M has the same converters and pres as the MR816, after they released the CI series I wondered if they make that quality available for an interface with a smaller footprint.

EDIT: Self-... unbalanced instrument cable is not carrying phantom power anyway.
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakermaker3 View Post
not making sense. this is basically an mr816 on usb2 for more money? Lol Unless im missing something this may be one of the most pointless releases aside from them maybe realizing they had the mr816 priced too low and now they are trying to make up for it with a softball release ...
Makes no sense at all, except I believe the MR816 sounds way way WAY betteer that its pricetag !! Maybe playing the "percieved priced" game? In any case, no excuse at all for, basically, replacing firewire with usb and doubling the price! (EDIT: I own the MR816-X, not CSX, which has more DSP and is more expensive, the UR seems to be usb version of the CSX, but a bit pricier)

For those who worry about the lines not being bypassed by the pre's... just crank down the gain and pad it, and they are completely and dead quiet. Dont be paranoid. I extensively experimented.

I dont get this move by Steinberg, at all. Lets hope they do some magic with the controller coming next. They certainly do know how to build anticipation. Lets hope they can also build controllers now too.
Old 13th September 2011
Gear Maniac

damn, Steinberg is getting their **** together, i'm in for the desktop thingy
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear
Why are the headphone outputs in the back of the smaller unit? Seems a little prone to accidents that way.

Otherwise, the smaller unit seems like something quite useful, given that it sounds the same as the MR and the usb driver can perform well at low latencies.

The promo video is funny.
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by parlopower View Post

But I find it cool that the UR28M has the same converters and pres as the MR816, after they released the CI series I wondered if they make that quality available for an interface with a smaller footprint.
Seems my question about the sound was answered as I was posting
Old 13th September 2011
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacklion View Post
Why are the headphone outputs in the back of the smaller unit? Seems a little prone to accidents that way.
I actually prefer them at the back, makes sense to me having them out of the way especially if you are placing the unit behind your your computer keyboard.

Graham
Old 13th September 2011
Gear Head

Steinberg UR28-768-pdf.jpg
Steinberg UR28-768.jpg

screen shot taken of my n12 and of the pdf which i downloaded which is the same settings @44.1,

why on earth they go with usb2 such a shame.
Old 13th September 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Bang View Post
Makes no sense at all, except I believe the MR816 sounds way way WAY betteer that its pricetag !! Maybe playing the "percieved priced" game? In any case, no excuse at all for, basically, replacing firewire with usb and doubling the price! (EDIT: I own the MR816-X, not CSX, which has more DSP and is more expensive, the UR seems to be usb version of the CSX, but a bit pricier)
I was looking at the MR816-X. Other than the extra money, and keeping things more simple re: manufacturing, it's odd that they don't offer a 'non-Sweet Spot Morphing Channel Strip' USB version. Or is there another valid reason for not offering this choice, that I'm missing?

If not, I think I'll just stick with the MR816-X.
Old 13th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Any idea if you can bypass the preamps on th UR 824? as this was the only reason for me not to get the MR816
Old 13th September 2011
Gear Addict
Question

Honestly, I don't quite understand this move from Steinberg... I currently have the Yamaha N series mixers which is like the MR816 csx with faders and less digital IO... I mean there are already 2 product types of basically the same converters and stuff, so why this move?

Maybe someone from steinberg can explain who this is targeted for exactly?
Old 13th September 2011
Quote:
Maybe someone from steinberg can explain who this is targeted for exactly?
The PC laptop user whose options for reliable firewire have pretty much run out. Steinberg (Yamaha) has been unable to fix the problems they were having with the firewire drivers on the MR816.

I don't see how there is much to improve upon with the design, the interface sounds better than anything I can name anywhere near its price range, and it is nice they included two adats for use as an external preamp.

However, Steinberg has a history of not supporting their hardware past a certain point. MR816 may not survive through the next generation of operating systems now that this is out.
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

I'm curious as to whether the convertor chips and analogue components around them are identicle to the MR816, or whether they've made improvements in these areas?
Old 13th September 2011
Gear Nut

damn, i was just about to pick up to mr816's too..now i am unsure. I am using a macbook pro 2011 so I would prefer firewire! but i would hate to buy a product that is on the verge of not being supported. hmm
Old 13th September 2011
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by GFC_Productions View Post
screen shot taken of my n12 and of the pdf which i downloaded which is the same settings @44.1,

why on earth they go with usb2 such a shame.

I thought thats what the MR Console was for, latency free monitoring?

You also have the DIRECT MONITORING option inside Cubase as well.

Supposedly a replacement for the N12 is supposed to show up but who knows

Myself, Ill be glad to get away from FW. My MR816X is fine for now, the sound is great IMO, no complaints at all
Old 13th September 2011
Deleted User
"For those who worry about the lines not being bypassed by the pre's... just crank down the gain and pad it, and they are completely and dead quiet. Dont be paranoid"

"For those who worry about the lines not being bypassed by the pre's... just crank down the gain and pad it, and they are completely and dead quiet. Dont be paranoid"

Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanabit View Post
+1. Had a chance to test the MR with other 'bypass-able' pres when I first got it. Nothing noticeably different going on there with outboard pres.
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by parlopower View Post
I find it cool that the UR28M has the same converters and pres as the MR816.
Does it say that in the user manual? I can't seem to find that info anywhere.
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alndln View Post
Does it say that in the user manual? I can't seem to find that info anywhere.
Pres on both units are the "D-Pres" so they are the same. I'd be interested in hearing about the converters as well. I assume the analog circuit design isn't going to be the same on the desktop unit just by looking at the shape of it. Might be using the same parts though.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search