The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Steinberg UR28 Audio Interfaces
Old 1st June 2013
Lives for gear

Any more comments on the UR824 vs the MR816?

I would particularly like to know how these handle latency/buffer size.
Which one performs better?
Old 15th July 2013
Here for the gear

hello, I want to buy a UR28.

Can we use the reverb in cubase ? will it works with the DSP ?*
Are the converter better than a M-Audio Firewire solo ? is it very interesting for me (I just use 1 or 2 mics simultanly why not with a line in too).

Are the preamps really transparent ?

a lot of thanks

(* if it works with a basic plugin, it's very bad...)
Old 15th July 2013
DSK
Lives for gear

I think yes.

I'm not 100% sure on the Cubase part. Haven't tested yet.

But on the hardware part don't worry about transparency with this unit.

Preamps top notch and colorless yet defined.

Sound good but tells the ruthless truth. (great for mixing)
Old 15th July 2013
Here for the gear

a lot of thanks DSK !!!!!

but with have DSP effect's ? Just for live application ? Isn't it possible to use dsp effect with cubase ? I think not because the interface comes with vst3 version...

So I ask myself, VST3 version of the effects will gave me more than my lexicon reverb plugs ins ?

I'll use just 2 input simultanly (line or mic(s)), is it the ur28 I need ?
Can you advice me an another cheapest interface but with the same sound quality : particularly preamps and converters.
Old 15th July 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by robespierre View Post
hello, I want to buy a UR28.

Can we use the reverb in cubase ? will it works with the DSP ?*
Are the converter better than a M-Audio Firewire solo ? is it very interesting for me (I just use 1 or 2 mics simultanly why not with a line in too).

Are the preamps really transparent ?

a lot of thanks

(* if it works with a basic plugin, it's very bad...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by robespierre View Post
a lot of thanks DSK !!!!!

but with have DSP effect's ? Just for live application ? Isn't it possible to use dsp effect with cubase ? I think not because the interface comes with vst3 version...

So I ask myself, VST3 version of the effects will gave me more than my lexicon reverb plugs ins ?

I'll use just 2 input simultanly (line or mic(s)), is it the ur28 I need ?
Can you advice me an another cheapest interface but with the same sound quality : particularly preamps and converters.
1 - The reverb and channel strip work on the DSP when recording, so you can choose to monitor with them or even insert them directly into the signal path to be recorded. They are also offered as sepparate VSTs (VST2, not VST3 if I'm not mistaken) if you wish to mix with them, you just have to register for that. The reverb (and the channel strip) are not THAT good sounding. They're usuable for monitoring so you can give the performer some nice boosts/ambience but I wouldn't mix with them as there are far better choices out there. I don't about which Lexicon you're referring to, but they will most likely outperform the UR's verb.

2 - Yes, the converters are much better than M-audio's. The D/A is specially great.

3 - Really transparent preamps with plenty of gain. They're very usuable and will deliver nice takes.

Hope it helped!
Old 15th July 2013
Here for the gear

a lot of thanks again !!!

I think the ur28 is a very good device but it's to complete for me.
I'll search for a less expansive device, with less inputs/outputs but with the same sound quality.

Can you advice me for a model ? I just want to have a tiny interface with 2 mics input with a line input. With midi if is it possible. And very great preamp and converters.

I work with cubase 5.

A lot of thanks.
Old 15th July 2013
Steinberg just released the UR22, a smaller brother for the UR series. I think it fits your needs!

Cheers
Old 15th July 2013
Here for the gear

yes the ur22 but I need a real line input because my father (who is electronician) is bulding me a classe A tube mic DIY preamp and I need so a real line input.

the UR22 would be perfect with it.

I order a focusrite scarlett 6i6 on thomann this evening who have all i need.
Old 10th October 2013
Gear Nut

New Firmware available

Detailview
Old 10th October 2013
I.P
Gear Nut

I will risk it
Old 28th January 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny1977 View Post
I'm seriously considering UR28m. However, one thing bothers me - does headphone amp have enough power to drive my 250 ohm DT-880 Pros decently?

Quote:
Originally Posted by griggorygretbar View Post
im also interested in this exact question.

i found out by looking at the manual online. the answer is no. it does 40 ohms.
I see on page 39 of http://download.steinberg.net/downlo...nManual_en.pdf that it says:

"0.6mW 40 0hms".

Is that for sure that it means the 250 ohm headphones can't be driven well?

Thanks!

UPDATED EDIT: A nice guy from another forum said the following:
Quote:
I checked the UR28M specs and found the proper headphone power spec to be 35mW per channel into 40 ohm minimum impedance. The UR28M will drive your Beyer DT770 phones to about 103 dB SPL, which is not super loud but should be adequate.
. So, according to that answer ... should be OK with the Beyer DT770/880 250 ohm models.
Old 28th January 2014
Lives for gear

Using the latest drivers, what is the smallest buffer/lowest latency people are getting at 44.1kHz (i.e., not using ASIO4ALL, but rather what is included with the device and Cubase)?

Thanks!
Old 5th May 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexis View Post
Should be OK with the Beyer DT770/880 250 ohm models.
It is OK-ish. I have a DT990 250 ohms. You'll have to put the knob around 3 o'clock to get a nice volume, but once you listen those cans on a proper amp there's no turning back and the UR28M will feel weak.
Old 22nd March 2015
SEA
Lives for gear

I just picked up a Blue Sky System One 2.1 It doesn't have a separate volume controller for the sub woofer so I was wondering if I could set up the UR28M to have both a mix for the sub and the mix for the SATs as well as a 3rd monitor mix for a 2nd set of monitors.

I attached the PDF of the Sky System One if that helps.

Thanks!

SEA
Old 20th January 2019
Lives for gear

Does anyone know how the Dac on the ur28m compares with MR816Csx? Looking for a new DA with the same type of frequency response as the MR816. Other popular DAs muddy in comparison. Not trying to spend grace money

Last edited by IkennaFuNkEn; 20th January 2019 at 06:32 PM..
Old 20th January 2019
Gear Addict

Haven’t heard the MR816, but just switched from the UR28m, which I used for 6 years, to the UR824. I previously compared the UR28m to a RME UFX which is 5 times the price, and honestly for me the UR28 DA sounded much better. I think it’s very close to the higher tier UR824, delivers the same upfront transients and depth.
Old 20th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dariva View Post
Haven’t heard the MR816, but just switched from the UR28m, which I used for 6 years, to the UR824. I previously compared the UR28m to a RME UFX which is 5 times the price, and honestly for me the UR28 DA sounded much better. I think it’s very close to the higher tier UR824, delivers the same upfront transients and depth.
Interesting. I researched some more and someone said the mr816 sounded better than ur28 but the 22 and 12 sound like the 816, but he didn’t spend enough time on the latter two. I don’t doubt your experience. Ever since I started using the 816, I expect not to like alot of DAs. Granted the 816 doesn’t have as much depth as the newer DAs but it def sounds more balanced and even like you have an extra octave
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search