The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Steinberg UR28 Audio Interfaces
Old 30th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by parlopower View Post
You can do it inside Cubase.

Your main stereo out in Cubase is Mix 1.

To access Mix 2 and Mix 3, you need to activate the Control Room in Cubase and send your Cubase tracks through the Control Room Sends to the Control Room.
By adjusting the Control Room Send levels and the Control Room mixer levels, you can then create alternative mixes and route them from the Control Room to Mix 2 and Mix 3 as additional stereo output pairs.
You can route Mix 2 and Mix 3 to the various output channels (analog outputs A-C, headphones output 2 and SPDIF).
The routing can be set up in another dialog inside Cubase. Go to the "Devices" menu, open it and choose "Hardware". There you can determine the routing of the Mixes, the source Mix for headphones 2 (headphones 1 is always Mix 1), and the routing of the DSP reverb.

The Cubase manual contains more details about the Control Room and the UR28M manual about the "Hardware" dialog in the "Devices" menu. You will have to check there for the precise procedure, would take up a bit too much space here.

Hope this helped!
There are directions on how to open the hardware monitor/headphone mix window in Cubase on page 17 of your UR28 manual. This will get you where you want to go.
Old 30th January 2012
Here for the gear

Is it possible to insert any external effects like a hardware compressor into the signal path when recording.. I have a old Edirol UA-5. Is the quality of the conversion going to be a significant step up ? I have a decent outboard pre in a Sebatron and a decent comp as in a PBC-6a.. I never feel I get the quality I hear in the performace into the DAW through the UA-5..
Old 30th January 2012
Gear Nut

This helped greatly. I am familiar with the Control Room. I thought I might be able to do it within the UR28 mixer itself. After playing with it some more last night I assumed the Control Panel would be a solution. Again I was hoping not to have to use it but I'm glad it's there.
Thanks again for your detailed explanation.
Old 30th January 2012
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beyersound View Post
There are directions on how to open the hardware monitor/headphone mix window in Cubase on page 17 of your UR28 manual. This will get you where you want to go.
True but it doesn't detail the routing information I was looking for. Thanks for sharing.
Old 30th January 2012
Gear Head

Finally got this today. Unfortunately the hard drive on my work computer has failed so I can't test it out yet though. All I can say so far is that it's a very nice looking box and it does feel substantial and well built.

One question I have is whether the knobs are supposed to have different resistances or not? On my box the two gain knobs have a looser resistance than all the other knobs. Is this a design decision or an eccentricity on my unit?
Old 16th April 2012
I.P
Gear Nut

hi guys!
sorry for bringing this old topic back, i need to ask a couple of things please!

1. has anyone compare this unit with komplete audio 6?
i care first for the DA and then for latency.
do you think it will be an upgrade?
any new drivers in the last months? i read about some issues at the beginning of the topic regarding bad performance.

2. it is possible to have all outs playing the same thing at the same time right? (maybe stupid to ask this one but i need to be sure)

thanks!

** keep the reviews coming heh heh
Old 16th April 2012
Gear Nut

I owned the KA6 before getting the UR28. The KA6 had some of the lowest latency I've seen in a USB interface. I really liked it. My problem was the phantom output was weak. They may have corrected that problem.

Steinberg released new drivers for the UR28M 2 weeks ago and they greatly improved latency. I'm now running at 64 samples on projects I previously had to to use 512.

Yes you can have all outputs playing at the same time or just one at a time. A great feature of the UR28 is being able to switch monitors on the fly using the buttons on the box itself or send different mixes to different monitors. All without having to go into the software. I'm really liking mine.

That said the KA6 is a nice box too but I would spend the xtra $100 for the 28.
Old 16th April 2012
I.P
Gear Nut

thanks qbury!!

what you think about the DA sound? have you noticed any big difference?

about KA6 + latency for me is not possible at all to work with less than 512 samples without distortion/clicks'n'pops
Old 17th April 2012
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by qbury View Post
I owned the KA6 before getting the UR28. The KA6 had some of the lowest latency I've seen in a USB interface. I really liked it. My problem was the phantom output was weak. They may have corrected that problem.

Steinberg released new drivers for the UR28M 2 weeks ago and they greatly improved latency. I'm now running at 64 samples on projects I previously had to to use 512.

Yes you can have all outputs playing at the same time or just one at a time. A great feature of the UR28 is being able to switch monitors on the fly using the buttons on the box itself or send different mixes to different monitors. All without having to go into the software. I'm really liking mine.

That said the KA6 is a nice box too but I would spend the xtra $100 for the 28.
I just recently bought the UR28M and i must say that i like it.

Beside the fact that im having problem with the original ASIO using software (Other than cubase)
But after downloading the new ASIO4ALL i've been able to set my Buffer at 256 samples and i am currently enjoying latency of 5ms wich is better than the original asio driver so you might want to try this out.

@ 64 Samples with the Original ASIO im having 3ms latency
@ 256 Samples with ASIO4ALL2 im having 5ms latency

ASIO4ALL2 seems way more accurate in my own book.
Old 17th April 2012
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistarock View Post
I just recently bought the UR28M and i must say that i like it.

Beside the fact that im having problem with the original ASIO using software (Other than cubase)
But after downloading the new ASIO4ALL i've been able to set my Buffer at 256 samples and i am currently enjoying latency of 5ms wich is better than the original asio driver so you might want to try this out.

@ 64 Samples with the Original ASIO im having 3ms latency
@ 256 Samples with ASIO4ALL2 im having 5ms latency

ASIO4ALL2 seems way more accurate in my own book.
So you are using the ASIO4ALL2 with the UR28M? I tried but could not get it to work. If I recall it would not play. Did you have to do anything special?
Old 17th April 2012
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by I.P View Post
thanks qbury!!

what you think about the DA sound? have you noticed any big difference?

about KA6 + latency for me is not possible at all to work with less than 512 samples without distortion/clicks'n'pops
It hard to compare the DA sound because I'm using more detailed monitors now. But even then I was sufficiently impressed with the KA6.

Now that I think about it I may have used the ASIO4ALL2. Give that a try. Even though it's suggested to used the manufacturers specified driver, I've always achieved lower latency's with the ASIO4ALL. Using it with the KA6 I still had low latency compared to other cards using the ASIO4ALL2.

Now that I've had both, I still would spend the additional $100. The extra features are worth it.
Old 17th April 2012
Here for the gear
Quote:
So you are using the ASIO4ALL2 with the UR28M? I tried but could not get it to work. If I recall it would not play. Did you have to do anything special?
ASIO4ALL - Universal ASIO Driver

Im using the latest ASIO4ALL 2.11
And it's working absolutely fine under Windows 7 with my UR28M (With latest Firmware 1.10 on it)
Old 17th April 2012
Lives for gear
So you guys are getting lower round trip latency figures using the asio4all driver vs the latest ur28m driver?

Could someone post the input/output latency at 128 samples or the Asio4all vs. UR28m drivers? I'd like to compare them to the MR816 numbers.
Old 17th April 2012
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacklion View Post
So you guys are getting lower round trip latency figures using the asio4all driver vs the latest ur28m driver?

Could someone post the input/output latency at 128 samples or the Asio4all vs. UR28m drivers? I'd like to compare them to the MR816 numbers.
Using latest update on everything with ASIO4ALL.
I'm having a 5ms round trip latency @ 256 samples.

@ 64 samples it was less than 1ms but unusable.

I found that everything under 192 samples couldnt be processed by the card but it could potentially be my computer.
Old 17th April 2012
Lives for gear
Quote:
Using latest update on everything with ASIO4ALL.
I'm having a 5ms round trip latency @ 256 samples.

@ 64 samples it was less than 1ms but unusable.

I found that everything under 192 samples couldnt be processed by the card but it could potentially be my computer.
5ms RTL at 256 samples? So like 2.x ms input and 2.x ms output? Is this from the interface control panel?
Old 17th April 2012
Here for the gear
Quote:
5ms RTL at 256 samples? So like 2.x ms input and 2.x ms output? Is this from the interface control panel?
It's from ASIO4ALL control panel.
Like i said earlier, the Yamaha ASIO control panel is probably flawed because i can run the card @64 sample @ 3ms wich already make no sense and i can playblack without any lag.

While with asio4all, 192is bare minimum i can go under 192 withou popping and cracking.

Asio4all over Yamaha asio imo.
Old 17th April 2012
Gear Nut

Quote:

I'll give it another shot later as well. That said, the new UR driver is really good. I only asked about the ASIO4ALL because there are those rare occasions where I'll use 2 cards at the same time for additional inputs.

I'll post results when I get back to my system later today.
Old 18th April 2012
Gear Nut

Quote:
It's from ASIO4ALL control panel.
Like i said earlier, the Yamaha ASIO control panel is probably flawed because i can run the card @64 sample @ 3ms wich already make no sense and i can playblack without any lag.

While with asio4all, 192is bare minimum i can go under 192 withou popping and cracking.

Asio4all over Yamaha asio imo.
I installed the latest ASIO4all. My results are similar. At 64 samples all I get is just crackling. I can't get anything audible again until I go to 384 which is about 9.2 ms in/out. My projects play fine there and no audible latency when I play a VSTi along with the project.

However, I only have outputs 1 and 2 in VST Connections. No mix/fx/daw out's choices. Also the dsp/FX software is not available unless of course I use it as an insert. Direct Monitoring is also disabled with the asio4all.

For me the new Yamaha driver makes a big difference, and gives me all the functionality of the unit and thus far I'm satisfied with it.

If I'm missing something with ASIO4all setup please let me know.
Old 18th April 2012
Here for the gear

Quote:
I installed the latest ASIO4all. My results are similar. At 64 samples all I get is just crackling. I can't get anything audible again until I go to 384 which is about 9.2 ms in/out. My projects play fine there and no audible latency when I play a VSTi along with the project.

However, I only have outputs 1 and 2 in VST Connections. No mix/fx/daw out's choices. Also the dsp/FX software is not available unless of course I use it as an insert. Direct Monitoring is also disabled with the asio4all.

For me the new Yamaha driver makes a big difference, and gives me all the functionality of the unit and thus far I'm satisfied with it.

If I'm missing something with ASIO4all setup please let me know.
At 64 Samples using Yamaha ASIO i can use it without a problem.
at 64 Samples using ASIO4ALL it dosen't work at all.

But if you look at the ms achieved, for me ASIO4ALL was ALOT better.

64 samples using Asio4all was under 1ms.
64 samples using default asio was over 3ms.
Old 15th June 2012
Gear Addict

Curious as to if anyone is successfully using this with a Mac and Pro Tools. I'm looking to replace my MBox 2 Pro and don't as much on the I/O side and want to upgrade in the D/A conversion department. Also loving the option to monitor through multiple monitors.

In general how's everyone been feeling about it in comparison to other devices? What other devices have you used? What are you monitoring through?
Old 27th July 2012
My unit arrives next week. Monitoring through a Yamaha HS80 and B&W 703 (driven by a Denon Amp). I'll give you my impressions asap.
Old 28th July 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumzalicious View Post
In general how's everyone been feeling about it in comparison to other devices? What other devices have you used? What are you monitoring through?
Had mine for a week now and really happy with it. It replaced a TC Konnekt 24D which is pretty well rated for quality of d/a and certainly sounded better to me than the previous interfaces I owned the most "pro" of which was probably a MOTU 828MkII.

My main monitors were Focal CMS 40 though I also took delivery of some Equator D5s and Isoacoustic stands this week and pretty sure these will replace the Focals outright.
The UR sounds great to me & the monitor switching, mono button & aux input are really useful to me.
I must admit I was concerned about the D/A after reading how it differed from the more expensive Steinbergs and half wondered if I would be returning it, but it is easily as good if not better than the TC.
Haven't tried the pres as have only used with my GAP Pre73 so far, but from reviews I don't think this is anything to worry about...they are supposedly about as good as budget interface pres get.

The cons: All knobs look cheap in all grey plastic & the volume knob is too small in height & diameter....have bluetac'ed a big knob on top and ordered some mixer style colour cap knobs to pimp it up a bit...sounds quite pathetic now I write it down but there it is.
Old 4th August 2012
Unit arrived 3 days ago, so I just had the time to listen to some mixes. My initial thoughts:

D-A: Quite impressed so far with the D-A! I have a lot of experience with the MR816 and I must say that the UR28 is not very different. You can't really tell which one is better, they're both very good sounding and I wasn't really expecting that level of quality on the UR. Headphones amps seem OK, but I don't have great cans to judge that properly (got a Sennheiser H202 and a AKG-K81).

A-D: Can't say yet. The 816 have great pres, so I'm looking forward...

Build: Sturdy and solid chassis. Knobs are just "okay-ish". Could be better? Yes, but they don't take anything away from the package.

Software: Haven't really tried that part yet.
Old 30th August 2012
Gear Maniac

Hey guys, I'd like to purchase this, but have some questions:

1. I'm purchasing in the US but I need to use this in the Philippines which is 220V /60HZ. The US version comes with 120V only. I've searched all over I can't find the proper adapter for this please help me find one for 220 or an auto switching one.

2. How is performance on Mac, I will be using it with Logic and Live on a MacBook Air? Does it support mountain lion properly?

3. Are the headphones that bad? The main reason I'm getting this interface is because I'm need TWO headphones out as that will be my main monitoring method and I wan't guests to be able to listen on headphones too.

Please help!
Old 30th August 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by OCDaveWilcox View Post
Hey guys, I'd like to purchase this, but have some questions:

1. I'm purchasing in the US but I need to use this in the Philippines which is 220V /60HZ. The US version comes with 120V only. I've searched all over I can't find the proper adapter for this please help me find one for 220 or an auto switching one.

2. How is performance on Mac, I will be using it with Logic and Live on a MacBook Air? Does it support mountain lion properly?

3. Are the headphones that bad? The main reason I'm getting this interface is because I'm need TWO headphones out as that will be my main monitoring method and I wan't guests to be able to listen on headphones too.

Please help!
1 - I bought mine in Germany and it came with a 220V Yamaha Power Supply (model P130A if I'm not mistaken). Very easy to find that because many Yamaha keyboards use that same adapter.

2 - Can't say, not a Mac user.

3 - Headphones outs are good. Unless you need/want ridiculous LOUD levels on both, they'll be just fine.
Old 1st September 2012
Here for the gear

I'm seriously considering UR28m. However, one thing bothers me - does headphone amp have enough power to drive my 250 ohm DT-880 Pros decently?
Old 18th October 2012
Gear Maniac

I am interested too in this AUdio Device.

I am using CUbase 5 - and will maybe migrate to 6.5 or wait till 7 arrives.

BUt what is the stuff with the VST / DSP? I dont udnerstand.

Does the UR has a FFT Analyzer or something built in like the MOTU Audio Express?
Old 31st October 2012
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny1977 View Post
I'm seriously considering UR28m. However, one thing bothers me - does headphone amp have enough power to drive my 250 ohm DT-880 Pros decently?
im also interested in this exact question.

i found out by looking at the manual online. the answer is no. it does 40 ohms.
Old 3rd May 2013
I.P
Gear Nut

little bump!

hey guys! any performance improvements with the latest drivers??

March 26th, 2013 / Yamaha Steinberg USB Driver 1.7.3

regards!! (still searching)
Old 3rd May 2013
I.P
Gear Nut

little bump!

hey guys! any performance improvements with the latest drivers??

March 26th, 2013 / Yamaha Steinberg USB Driver 1.7.3

regards!! (still searching)
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search