The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Steinberg UR28 Audio Interfaces
Old 1st November 2011
Administrator

Hi Funkasizer, quick question..

Is the unit made of aluminium or is it plastic. (does it feel sturdy)

Thanks,
Graham
Old 2nd November 2011
DSK
Lives for gear

I've seen a german presentation in detail.

It's very sturdy but made of plastic. Yet they said it's highest quality stuff not cheap feel.

I'll chime in when mine arrives later this week or next week.
Old 2nd November 2011
Here for the gear

I just received my unit yesterday and I must say I was surprised how substantial it felt in my hands. I have not hooked it up yet, but it looks to be very well made. Truth be told, it was somewhat larger, heavier and of a much higher quality that I was expecting when I ordered it. That's a nice surprise! Frequently it is the other way around.
Old 2nd November 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grahamdwc View Post
Hi Funkasizer, quick question..

Is the unit made of aluminium or is it plastic. (does it feel sturdy)

Thanks,
Graham
Hi Graham,

It is a combination of plastic and metal. It feels sturdy and is quite heavy. The knobs are of high quality and have a nice resistance when you turn them. I would compare the built quality to that of the CC121 controller.

Cheers,

Jack
Old 2nd November 2011
Yeah, the form factor and sturdiness was definitely one thing that I also liked about mine.
Let me know how you guys find converters, DI and headphones out - the Di and headphones out were the things that dissatisfied me so that I returned mine and preordered the UR824!
Old 2nd November 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkasizer View Post
Just wanted to chime in and give some praise for the UR28M. I am using it for about a week now and I think the quality of the converters is excellent. When I say excellent, I am comparing against a Prism Orpheus interface. Of course, it is just my opinion and my ears and they may not be as golden as those of others, but I did not experience what is often described as a veil being lifted when switching from the lower to the higher end interface. When I purchased the Orpheus it was to replace an Apogee Ensemble, and here the difference was striking in favor of the Orpheus, but not so with the UR28M. What's more, the integration of the UR28M with Cubase is a real bonus and the monitoring options, being able to switch between 3 monitor pairs and 3 mixes, gives ample of possibilities for a home studio. I can now hook up a CD player and have a reference CD play for instance over mix 2 and my own mix over mix 1, match their gains, and have instant switching back and forth. I thought this kind of functionality could only be had with a Cranesong Avocet. Anyway, to make a long story short, I warmly recommend the UR28M to anyone who is looking for an excellent converter and monitor controller. I just sold my Orpheus.
Your observation with the converters surprises me. When I switched back and forth with my Duet, every time the UR28M was on, it was like some of the "room information" was gone, and even absolute lay people in regards to sound that I showed it to could tell which unit was which 100% accurate all the time.

Anyway, as I said in my previous posts, converters were certainly not bad, and the features you describe are one of the big plus sides of the unit. That together with the DSP FX and D-Pres and Cubase integration makes it an awesome choice.

Seriously - (maybe Steinberg will build me my custom unit, hahahaha!) - give the UR28M the 1MOhm DI and the 75mW headphones outs like the UR824, and for me it would be PERFECT.
Old 2nd November 2011
Administrator

Quote:
Hi Graham,

It is a combination of plastic and metal. It feels sturdy and is quite heavy. The knobs are of high quality and have a nice resistance when you turn them. I would compare the built quality to that of the CC121 controller.

Cheers,

Jack
Thanks Jack, i'll be ordering mine this weekend!

It has all the features i require and seems to have great integration in Cubase also....excellent.

Graham
Old 2nd November 2011
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSK View Post
I've seen a german presentation in detail.

It's very sturdy but made of plastic. Yet they said it's highest quality stuff not cheap feel.

I'll chime in when mine arrives later this week or next week.
Thanks Dsk

Graham
Old 2nd November 2011
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnyboy View Post
I just received my unit yesterday and I must say I was surprised how substantial it felt in my hands. I have not hooked it up yet, but it looks to be very well made. Truth be told, it was somewhat larger, heavier and of a much higher quality that I was expecting when I ordered it. That's a nice surprise! Frequently it is the other way around.
Hi Donnyboy, welcome to the forum.

Thanks for your input.
Be sure to let us know what you think of it set up. (when you get a chance)

Graham
Old 2nd November 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by parlopower View Post
Your observation with the converters surprises me. When I switched back and forth with my Duet, every time the UR28M was on, it was like some of the "room information" was gone, and even absolute lay people in regards to sound that I showed it to could tell which unit was which 100% accurate all the time.
Could it be possible that Apogee just has a very specific sound signature that stands out when comparing with other converters? When I compared my Apogee Ensemble with the Prism Orpheus, I also heard a clear difference. At the time I ascribed it to the Orpheus having better converters, but now I am wondering.

Cheers,

Jack
Old 2nd November 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Thanks Jack, i'll be ordering mine this weekend!

It has all the features i require and seems to have great integration in Cubase also....excellent.

Graham
Hope you'll enjoy it as much as I do, and I am almost certain you will! Once you put it through its paces, please let me know what you think.

Cheers,

Jack
Old 2nd November 2011
Administrator

Quote:
Once you put it through its paces, please let me know what you think.

Cheers,

Jack
Will do Jack.

Graham
Old 2nd November 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Hi Donnyboy, welcome to the forum.

Thanks for your input.
Be sure to let us know what you think of it set up. (when you get a chance)

Graham

Thanks, Graham; will do. I am stepping up from an M-audio fast track pro, so my expectation is that I WILL notice quite a difference when firing up the UR28M. I'll let everyone know what I hear. I have followed this thread since it's beginning. I nearly bought a RME babyface. However, I decided on the Steinberg because it simply had all the features I wanted. I am also a fan of Cubase, so the high level of integration of Cubase and the UR28M was desirable. Finally, nothing has been said so far that has me convinced that the audio quality of the UR28M will be much different from the Babyface or the Duet 1 or 2. We'll see.
Old 2nd November 2011
Quote:
Could it be possible that Apogee just has a very specific sound signature that stands out when comparing with other converters? When I compared my Apogee Ensemble with the Prism Orpheus, I also heard a clear difference. At the time I ascribed it to the Orpheus having better converters, but now I am wondering.

Cheers,

Jack
Well, that thing with the sound signature is possible, but let me describe just the following thing:
When I played back the track "Unknown Soldier" from Breaking Benjamin, through the Duet I could hear clearly the position of the instruments - like their "virtual distance" to the listener. It stuck out especially when the baritone guitars jumped in on the chorus, they seemed to be coming from 15 cm in front of the monitors instead of from the monitors themselves. On the UR28M, the same thing sounded flat - every instrument seemed to be glued to the monitors. When I played back some stuff from the "Avatar" soundtrack, and listened especially to the mallet- or harp-like sounds that are spread across the stereo field on various tracks, through the Duet you could not only hear left and right, but also depth of room, or distance from the listener. On the UR28M again - it was flat.
This describes my initial observation, and of course I could not do a blind test since I had to swap the devices manually. But when I asked my wife - who as no experience in audio at all - to listen to it, she immediately described exactly the very same thing. And she could tell 100% sure which playback was from which. So, I don't think it's only a sound signature, I do think indeed it is a matter of clarity, space resolution, whatever you call it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnyboy View Post
Thanks, Graham; will do. I am stepping up from an M-audio fast track pro, so my expectation is that I WILL notice quite a difference when firing up the UR28M. I'll let everyone know what I hear. I have followed this thread since it's beginning. I nearly bought a RME babyface. However, I decided on the Steinberg because it simply had all the features I wanted. I am also a fan of Cubase, so the high level of integration of Cubase and the UR28M was desirable. Finally, nothing has been said so far that has me convinced that the audio quality of the UR28M will be much different from the Babyface or the Duet 1 or 2. We'll see.
I worked with M-Audio devices in the past, and I promise, you will notice a very nice step up. And that goes not only for the converters, but ESPECIALLY for the pres. Darn, those D-Pres are really nice. Wait and see how much you will enjoy recording a vocal track through the D-Pres while applying the Sweet Spot Channel step and the Rev-X with zero latency... yummy!
Old 3rd November 2011
Now this might surprise you guys...

Tomorrow I will get my UR28M back.

I had a few unexpected bills coming in - insurance fees have been raised, a hospital bill that the health insurance will not cover - so I decided not to stress the finances on the UR824.
I also need to finish some stuff urgently, and needed something to work with, and the dealer where I bought and returned the UR28M still has the very same unit standing there. Since I didn't get the cash back on return but just left it there as a down payment for the UR824, I asked the dealer if I can just pick it up again and cancel the order for the UR824, and he said no problem.

Before I describe "the intended cure for the downsides that I didn't like" on the UR28M, I need to first mention that I am currently only working on the pre-production for two 4-song concept EP's. I will not touch older projects anymore that I did with my old gear that I sold, and these two EP's will keep me busy for quite a while - after finishing the pre-production with my humble home gear, I will see it put through a full-blown production in professional facilities. And what comes after that will be several months in the future, so worst case is I use the UR28M only for the demo production of these two EP's and sell it with 150 Euro or so loss in half a year to get something else.

So, the thing that's the biggest bummer for me is the DI on this thing. Cure: The producer with whom I work has a Universal Audio 2-610 which he ever lent to me, and I LOVED the DI on that thing. We will use that one for the DI duties then. Guitar -> DI on 2-610 to line out -> line in on UR28M.
Then there was the volume of the headphones outs. Cure: Well, I work at very low levels in Cubase, and therefore I need quite some power on the headphones outputs. If I am just not such a lazy bum and take some time to up the track levels a bit on these 8 songs I am working on (no need to touch finished older stuff and no other new stuff started, so it's really just eight Cubase projects), I will get enough level on the headphones outputs. Maybe an hour or so of work that I just didn't want to do, but then it's fine I am sure.

The converters - for the demo production they are MORE THAN FINE.
Old 4th November 2011
Gear Head

UR824 .... got mine.... problems running with Studio One

I just received a UR824 today. Works well in Cubase but I'd also like to be able to use it in Studio One Pro 2 however I cannot get it to work at all. Whenever I change to the UR824 ASIO driver or change settings for it Studio One Just hangs. If I coax it into starting up with the ASIO driver loaded (by killing it with task manager and restarting) then when I load a song Studio One just hangs.

I know I may be an "early adopter" on this unit but I'm wondering if anyone has tried the UR824 or the UR28M with other DAWs besides Cubase?
Old 8th November 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonPasquarelli View Post
I just received a UR824 today. Works well in Cubase but I'd also like to be able to use it in Studio One Pro 2 however I cannot get it to work at all. Whenever I change to the UR824 ASIO driver or change settings for it Studio One Just hangs. If I coax it into starting up with the ASIO driver loaded (by killing it with task manager and restarting) then when I load a song Studio One just hangs.

I know I may be an "early adopter" on this unit but I'm wondering if anyone has tried the UR824 or the UR28M with other DAWs besides Cubase?
Can you report how the UR824works at low latencies?
Old 9th November 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatpete View Post
Can you report how the UR824works at low latencies?
Sure. I'll do an experiment for you... just let me know what would be best to try (i.e. low track count w/ virtual synth or high track count & plugins etc...).
Old 9th November 2011
DSK
Lives for gear

I've received the UR28m... brought it from a UK dealer so I have to get an adapter to the euro standard ( luckily it's the same voltage ) so I didn't put it to test yet.

As for the build it's really sturdy.. as expected : the top part is high grade plastic and the bottom is metal.

It feels really good and is heavy/sturdy. There is nothing on it that would put it in the <500 euro category as it's retailing now.

I can't believe that the next thing similar to this one costs about twice as much

This happens when you're Yamaha I guess.
Old 10th November 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Sure. I'll do an experiment for you... just let me know what would be best to try (i.e. low track count w/ virtual synth or high track count & plugins etc...).
Either/or. It being a USB device, I'm anxious to see how good it's driver is.
Old 10th November 2011
Gear Head

Actually, without even conducting an experiment the dspMixFx control panel for the UR824 displays buffer sizes and latencies. I captured a few below, there are many more but I don't have time to list them all.

@ 44.1k:
Samples Latency
64 5.6 msec
128 8.118 msec
256 12.018 msec
512 19.819 msec

@96 k:
128 5.012 msec
256 7.354 msec
512 11.021 msec
1024 18.354 msec
Old 10th November 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Actually, without even conducting an experiment the dspMixFx control panel for the UR824 displays buffer sizes and latencies. I captured a few below, there are many more but I don't have time to list them all.

@ 44.1k:
Samples Latency
64 5.6 msec
128 8.118 msec
256 12.018 msec
512 19.819 msec

@96 k:
128 5.012 msec
256 7.354 msec
512 11.021 msec
1024 18.354 msec
How does it run with lots of tracks/FX at 64 or 128?
Old 10th November 2011
Gear Head

With lots of tracks/FX i have to increase the buffer size some where between 2000 and 4000 bytes. Latency goes way up such that its impossible to use virtual instruments or monitoring through the DAW.

However, this was the same for me when I was using the MAudio FastTrack Ultra till now.
Old 11th November 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:

@ 44.1k:
Samples Latency
64 5.6 msec
128 8.118 msec
256 12.018 msec
512 19.819 msec

@96 k:
128 5.012 msec
256 7.354 msec
512 11.021 msec
1024 18.354 msec

Can you please check with centrance latency test utility, what the real round-trip latency is? I'm planning to buy one asap,, (this weekend) but as I use a toontrack superior drummer, with my TD-20 I need latency <6ms

my pc can handle it for sure,, (sandy bridge 4.6ghz quad) but some interfaces have large hidden buffers..

soo just test one will help me alot,, for example the real round trip @64buffer... if that's real 5.6ms this thing would be awesome!

thanks in advance
Old 11th November 2011
Gear Head

I downloaded & installed the CEntrance latency test utility.

However it does not seem to work with the UR824 ASIO driver as I get the error below each time I try to change the settings or perform the measurement. Seems like the ASIO driver is not playing nice with Studio One or this test tool.... sorry.

Old 11th November 2011
Here for the gear

Hmm well atfirst thanks for trying, mch appreciated(;

That ut doesnt work is a lil worying though.. As i plan to use it with sonar x1..

its really a pain in the ass to buy it without knowing its round trip latency..):

Anyone maybe knows a other round trip.measure tool?

Thanks,
Bram
Old 11th November 2011
Gear Head

Yes, I'm bummed that its not working for me in Studio One.

I have now also purchased a PreSonus AudioBox 1818VSL and I'm evaluating this. So far the 1818 works in Studio One, Cubase 6, Sonar X1 and Reaper. Also the CEntrance Latency tool works.

I'm probably going to have to send the UR824 back as I'm not getting any fixes from PreSonus (although they did duplicate the problem) and Steinberg pawned it off as a problem with Studio One (as Steinberg support reminded me they are the "inventor of ASIO!").
Old 11th November 2011
Gear Head

By the way when I tried the UR824 in Sonar X1 the first few times I changed the driver/asio settings for it in Sonar, sonar crashed. Finally it became stable as I have left the settings as is and from that point I was able to use it. I mostly tried it in Cubase where it worked well. But I need a box that will work with a variety of DAWs, that's why I'm trying out the 1818VSL.
Old 12th November 2011
Here for the gear

okay, thanks for the info(:

I'm really facing some things now.. I have a Mackie 400F which has a round trip of 11MS, which I find bothering when drumming trough superior drummer.

I Just saw at https://www.steinberg.net/forum/view...=12856&p=83267

that the Steinberg MR816 had the same terrible latency as the Mackie I already have... too bad..

but now they switched from firewire to usb, i really don't know if they improved their latency or not... it can be done... the the m-audio ultra track 8R is USB2, cheap, and has Round trip of 5.5ms... but it doesn't have ADAT i/o,, which I need.. ):

Although this is alot asked... If you're willing to do so.. it would be awesome:

Turn of any latency compansation
Record one track mono.

loop the audio out on soundcard to a line input and record.
No plugins present at host.

Then export this recording as a stereo track, panned fully right and left.

Then import this audio track into a audio editor and zoom in on sample level and you can count the amount of samples later one track is.

although reading on the latency of the MR816x isn't to confincing.. ):

EDIT: Dawbench, is maybe an option aswell,, although I'm yet to figure out how it works:D

cheers
Old 13th November 2011
Gear Head

Sorry for the delay here... I was away for a day.

I did one loop-back test @ 96k w/ buff size of 128 bytes.

I measured 966 sample difference from output to input....

I believe this is about 10.06 ms.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search