The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Steinberg UR28 Audio Interfaces
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcgovern View Post
Hello all...

Thanks for your interest in our new UR Series hardware. I wanted to offer a few words of confidence that the MR 816 Series is not going anywhere and we will continue to offer support for the product as the UR Series in introduced. To illustrate this, we recently released a new MR Tools update available at: MR816 CSX/X

Introduction of the UR Series is intended to offer an additional product to our growing number of hardware and software solutions. Both URs share similar technology as our MR816 Series (D Pres, DSP technology that no includes independent plug in versions, etc.) Detailed info can be found on our site.

I will do my best to chime in here to answer any questions you may have.

Thanks again and have a great day!

Cool man, thanks for chiming in!

I understand the pres being the same sound (same pre - duh! ) but could you comment on the converters on the UR824? Are they an upgrade of the 816s?
I am interested in getting one of these as then I could move my tracing HDD to Firewire 800 which would increase potential dataflow for larger projects.
Thanks!
Old 18th September 2011
Is this interface going to cause whine/ buzz/ electrical noise in my speakers?

Old 19th September 2011
kdp
Lives for gear

Please!!!!!!! I'm begging you....Give me a big ass 24 or 32 channel dedicated Cubase controller! No more bedroom studio toys!!!
Old 19th September 2011
Gear Maniac
Hmmmmmm JRRshop lists the UR824 at $799. The differences with the MR816x seems to be the following:
No channel 1 and 2 inserts on the UR.
The UR comes with the channel strips (pretty cool)
The UR has two ADAT ports
EDIT : The UR has a Hi-z switch for both front panel inputs
The UR has a grounding screw on its chassis.
Different front panel layout. Maybe cleaner looking on the UR

Seeing as my MR816x has ground looping noise( I really do not want to track that down during my recovery from shoulder reconstruction surgery) I am considering sending back the MR816x and getting the UR.

Last edited by scottfa; 19th September 2011 at 11:24 PM.. Reason: more info
Old 19th September 2011
Lives for gear

I'm actually very interested in this. I mostly mix, i don't record much and i was planing to buy a monitor controler... oh and also a laptop.

Any idea how it integrates with Reaper ??
Old 19th September 2011
Gear Maniac
I have fired up the MR816x with Reaper 4.01 and it sees the all of the inputs and outputs. Don't know about the UR. I doubt anyone does at this point.
I guess that the USB driver will be critical. Can they match(or come close to) RME?
Old 19th September 2011
Gear Maniac
Couple of other tidbits:
The UR headphone controls are not at the far right like the MR816x.

Steinberg states that the output control knob's function is changed via software. I like that the MR816x can also be controlled by clicking the knob.
Old 20th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottfa View Post
Hmmmmmm JRRshop lists the UR824 at $799. The differences with the MR816x seems to be the following:
No channel 1 and 2 inserts on the UR.
The UR comes with the channel strips (pretty cool)
The UR has two ADAT ports
EDIT : The UR has a Hi-z switch for both front panel inputs
The UR has a grounding screw on its chassis.
Different front panel layout. Maybe cleaner looking on the UR

Seeing as my MR816x has ground looping noise( I really do not want to track that down during my recovery from shoulder reconstruction surgery) I am considering sending back the MR816x and getting the UR.
Huh.....I guess that means that bypassing ANY preamps is no longer an option.... :(
Old 20th September 2011
Gear Nut

What I like about the MR is, that you can use the DSP FX inside Cubase while you're mixing or rendering the project. The DSP in the UR is "only" for monitoring, the effects will run (while mixing) on your computer CPU.
Old 21st September 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Hello all...

Thanks for your interest in our new UR Series hardware. I wanted to offer a few words of confidence that the MR 816 Series is not going anywhere and we will continue to offer support for the product as the UR Series in introduced. To illustrate this, we recently released a new MR Tools update available at: MR816 CSX/X

Introduction of the UR Series is intended to offer an additional product to our growing number of hardware and software solutions. Both URs share similar technology as our MR816 Series (D Pres, DSP technology that no includes independent plug in versions, etc.) Detailed info can be found on our site.

I will do my best to chime in here to answer any questions you may have.

Thanks again and have a great day!
Hi Brian,
I too would like to know about the comparison between the AD/DA converters in the UR series and the mr816. Also, do both UR devices have the same sound quality?
Thanks.
Old 21st September 2011
Lives for gear

Does it have same DA converters as it's bigger brother?
Old 21st September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arksun View Post
Read again, +13db greater Dynamic Range.

MR816 spec sheet shows 104db Dynamic range for Line output
UR824 spec sheet shows 117db Dynamic range for Line output.

Though granted it says (A) weighted on the UR824 but doesn't specify the weighting on the MR816 figure, so I'm just guessing thats also (a) weighted. If thats the case, 117 - 104 = 13db difference
That 104dB figure is for AD+DA on the MR816x.
The purely DA figure is actually 110dB. (both A-weighted)

see here: http://www.steinberg.net/fileadmin/r...ions_MR816.pdf

The crosstalk and THD measurements do look much improved.
Old 21st September 2011
Lives for gear
From the looks of the front panel on the rackmount it looks like cost cutting has gone on? Cheaper knobs, less LEDs, only one multi function main knob, headphone knobs look cheaper and headphone outs look a little more awkward placed.

USB would have been a nice option on the MR816 though as FW is not without it's quirks!

Am happy with my MR816 and nothing on the new unit makes me want to swap.
Old 21st September 2011
Gear Maniac
Oracle , from what i understand about the dsp effects i think Mr and UR can use the dsp effects for monitoring and also as vst3 to mix . This is what i says in the web:

Native VST 3 plug-ins of REV-X and Sweet Spot Morphing Channel Strip additionally included

How about latency ? does USB 2.0 will work the same as Firewire ?
Old 21st September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro5 View Post
From the looks of the front panel on the rackmount it looks like cost cutting has gone on? Cheaper knobs, less LEDs, only one multi function main knob, headphone knobs look cheaper and headphone outs look a little more awkward placed.

USB would have been a nice option on the MR816 though as FW is not without it's quirks!

Am happy with my MR816 and nothing on the new unit makes me want to swap.
I agree, it looks a bit cheaper. Then again, it IS a fair bit cheaper than the MR816CSX version and it includes the same feature plus apparently enhanced converters if the spec sheets are anything to go by. So I'd rather take a cheaper look with a POTENTIALLY better sound and feature set than the other way around.

About swapping though....I kind of agree with you on this. I mean the only real advantage of going USB for me is that it would free up my firewire 800 port on my mac so I could run my tracking HDD at FW800 speeds instead of FW400 speeds. For me, with the current state of my mixing room there is no chance I would ever heard the difference in the converter quality, if applicable at all.

I'm still waiting for the first wave of reviews to come in before I decide on a swap though. Also, does anyone know the exact release date of the UR824? Thomann say a shipment is due on the 26-9-11 but they are often subject to change. (LINK - mouse over the coloured stack icon)
Old 21st September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxMulderFBI View Post
Does it have same DA converters as it's bigger brother?
I mean does UR28M has same DA converters as UR824? I can't find any info about it anywhere. And are they on par with MR816 or even better?

Old 22nd September 2011
Here for the gear

I heard from the Club Cubase guy that the converters were exactly the same on the two URs but that there was some kind of better jitter chipset on the 824...JetPLL I think. The implication was that there was that the 28 didn't have it.
Sounded pretty damn good to me although it was being pumped through some old-ass'd PA speakers!

Also, whoever posted that the UR doesn't apply effects to the mix down is wrong, the fact is that they've figured out how to hit the DSP without any repatching on the UR Series...
Old 22nd September 2011
Lives for gear

Well, you can't say Steinberg doesn't listen to its user base: we asked for a USB version of the MR816 and we got it. Good thing too: Firewire is just too unpredictable on too many systems. But I'm not going to buy the same unit twice, occasional dropouts or not.

Personally I couldn't care less for the controllers: if you want hands-on control, buy a mixer; if not, stick with your 5 $ mouse.

As far as Steinberg giving up support for the MR series is concerned, I don't believe that for a minute and neither should you.
Old 22nd September 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by yikesboy View Post
I heard from the Club Cubase guy that the converters were exactly the same on the two URs but that there was some kind of better jitter chipset on the 824...JetPLL I think. The implication was that there was that the 28 didn't have it.
Not so, the UR824 I/O dynamic range 105/117db and the UR28M 101/105db
Old 23rd September 2011
Generally, looks like the UR824 has better tech specs than the MR816, while the UR28M does not have as good specs as the MR816. I wonder how much of an audible difference that means in real life. I ordered an UR28M already anyway, mainly because I totally like the feature set and format. As long as it does not mean a downgrade from the Duet which I was using so far, I don't bother. I have not compared them yet, but from what I read everywhere the D-Pres can easily keep up with the Duet's anyway.
Old 23rd September 2011
It would be cool if Steinberg gave the native versions of the DSP plug-ins to MR816 owners as well...!
Old 23rd September 2011
Gear Maniac
im in the same boat as parlopower. i want to buy soon a UR28m but dont want to downgrade from MR816x in sound quality. I dont need too much inputs - outputs as the MR816x has. If Ur28m sounds the same quality as MR i will be so happy , is the only thing i need

Parlopower, if you get to compare your Duet vs UR28m , please tell us.
We 'll be waiting for your review
Old 23rd September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by LMNproyect View Post
im in the same boat as parlopower. i want to buy soon a UR28m but dont want to downgrade from MR816x in sound quality. I dont need too much inputs - outputs as the MR816x has. If Ur28m sounds the same quality as MR i will be so happy , is the only thing i need

Parlopower, if you get to compare your Duet vs UR28m , please tell us.
We 'll be waiting for your review
That will be a very unreliable source... I have a totally untreated room with terrible echoes, standing waves, comb filtering... I only use it to compose and make demos, actual production is somewhere else. It's only a room of undisturbed private sphere for capturing ideas. Of course I would love to have proper room treatment and everything in there, but I just bought that house and other things needed fixing first.
So, what I mean to say is, I can hardly judge the DA of the Duet and the UR in comparison.

Things I will look into and try to compare with the Duet:
- Preamp gain sufficient or not for my SM7B
- Loudness and sound of the headphone outputs
And then, listening over headphones, or in a firend's studio, I might be able to judge:
- General sound of the pres compared to the Duet
- Sound of the DI into amp sims compared to the Duet

I hope I will not regret having ordered it...
Old 23rd September 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by parlopower View Post
That will be a very unreliable source... I have a totally untreated room with terrible echoes, standing waves, comb filtering... I only use it to compose and make demos, actual production is somewhere else. It's only a room of undisturbed private sphere for capturing ideas. Of course I would love to have proper room treatment and everything in there, but I just bought that house and other things needed fixing first.
So, what I mean to say is, I can hardly judge the DA of the Duet and the UR in comparison.

And then, listening over headphones, or in a firend's studio, I might be able to judge:

Looking forward to hearing your results parlopower!
Old 24th September 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by parlopower View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by yikesboy View Post
Looking forward to hearing your results parlopower!
me too! especially the amp sims part (if possible please compare the latency on both when using guitar amp sims).
Thanks!
Old 26th September 2011
Lives for gear
I'm wondering if you can set the knob to control the digital output levels or if that is software only.
Old 27th September 2011
Gear Head

Hello all. Hope everyone is doing well.

Sorry for the delay, I've been traveling and catching up. I wanted to offer some information, in addition to the D Pre similarities, to answer questions asked in this thread and a PM I received.

Is there a way to bypass the pres?
Regarding the UR824, all combo jacks (Mic/Line) go through D-PRE (same as MR).

What will the latency specs look like for the USB interfaces compared to FW?
Yamaha STeinberg USB Driver offers:
  • @64 sample (44 and 48kHz) ASIO buffer size
  • @128 sample (88 and 96kHz) ASIO buffer size

On the UR824, will you lose 2 channels of ADAT if you're using the SPDIF the way you would with the MR?
Please keep in mind there are no coaxial SPDIF connections. However, the UR824's ADAT can be set separately as follows.

(A Port)
ADAT
ADAT
S/PDIF
S/PDIF

(B Port)
ADAT
S/PDIF
ADAT
S/PDIF

Hope this helps.
Old 27th September 2011
Gear Head

Also, it was brought to my attention that I left out the 'round trip" latency at buffer settings. I'll gather those as well and post once I have them.

Stay tuned.
Old 28th September 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Hello all. Hope everyone is doing well.

Hope this helps.
Again, you ignore any question about ad/da converters, compared to the mr816, and the two UR devices compared to each other. I wonder why could that be.
Old 28th September 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurnisht View Post
Again, you ignore any question about ad/da converters, compared to the mr816, and the two UR devices compared to each other. I wonder why could that be.
Interesting. I emailed Steinberg support in this regard and was told that the only info currently "publicly available" is what's posted in the tech specs on the website, which doesn't appear to include the AD specs (though the DA @ 117db looks great). The "analog input" spec is 105db, but I was told this is not the same as an AD spec.

In contrast, the AD/DA specs for the MR series are clearly listed on their respective specs sheets.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search