The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Steinberg UR28 Audio Interfaces
Old 13th September 2011
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by rumleymusic View Post
However, Steinberg has a history of not supporting their hardware past a certain point. MR816 may not survive through the next generation of operating systems now that this is out.
Hmmm....I have to agree with you..... That is worrisome indeed..... Wonder if I would get any driver/firmware updates in the future for my 3 Yamaha N8 mixers.....
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanabit View Post
"For those who worry about the lines not being bypassed by the pre's... just crank down the gain and pad it, and they are completely and dead quiet. Dont be paranoid"

"For those who worry about the lines not being bypassed by the pre's... just crank down the gain and pad it, and they are completely and dead quiet. Dont be paranoid"

Hey !!! Booooooooooo tutt... at least give me credit and quote me on that!!

I want people to point the gun at ME !!

Yo have no right to steal other people's anti-psychotic quotes. You are trying to kill me! I know it. I'm going to report you for inducting low level radiation onto me through my GS account. It was you who stole that 1 odd sock from the washing machine, weren't you? Admit it! And it was not only yesterday! I have now 5 halves of a pair of socks thanks to you!

Old 14th September 2011
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Bang View Post
Hey !!! Booooooooooo tutt... at least give me credit and quote me on that!!

I want people to point the gun at ME !!

Yo have no right to steal other people's anti-psychotic quotes. You are trying to kill me! I know it. I'm going to report you for inducting low level radiation onto me through my GS account. It was you who stole that 1 odd sock from the washing machine, weren't you? Admit it! And it was not only yesterday! I have now 5 halves of a pair of socks thanks to you!

Ladies and gentlemen, PLEASE pay homage to Bing_Bang for his ever so perfect comment on the MR816 pre-amps. He is 100% correct and deserves a fine attaboy and steak dinner

Truth is I get tired of people having to say this over and over and over again about the unit. Thought it would be nice if I quoted you over and over and over to get the point across to those that have some stupid theory that this box colors the inputs, its doesnt , plain and simple.

Your washing machine is eating your socks cause you have a long distance relationship with it since you never see it anymore, now its ticked off and gettin even
Old 14th September 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustream View Post
Hmmm....I have to agree with you..... That is worrisome indeed..... Wonder if I would get any driver/firmware updates in the future for my 3 Yamaha N8 mixers.....
Steinberg has just released yesterday a new "Tools for MR" version. So far (I believe) it's the third update on driver and tools. I expect further updates also in the future.
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketcalc View Post
The mr does 16 i/o, this one does 24. The latest interfaces from RME, Focusrite, Presonus, motu and now yamaha are all USB 2.0 or hybrid devices. USB has enough bandwidth, and latency figures are supposedly better with today's CPUs.
This whole "Firewire is better" is absolute nonsense. Yes, back with slower CPUs, that was the case as Firewire had it's own controller, USB2 relies on the CPU, now they're faster, it's a total non-issue.

In fact, USB would now be preferable on every Mac since late 2008 when Apple decided to use a cheap inferior Firewire chipset which makes a hell of a lot of noise (just try a Duet with active speakers).
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanabit View Post
[B][SIZE="7"]

Your washing machine is eating your socks cause you have a long distance relationship with it since you never see it anymore, now its ticked off and gettin even

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA !!!! heh

Old 14th September 2011
Quote:
Steinberg has just released yesterday a new "Tools for MR" version. So far (I believe) it's the third update on driver and tools. I expect further updates also in the future.
We'll see, I would love to be wrong.
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grahamdwc View Post
I actually prefer them at the back, makes sense to me having them out of the way especially if you are placing the unit behind your your computer keyboard.

Graham
I was leaning your way, but looking at the back plate design, the headphone outs are located in sort of a funny place. Surrounding it are the outputs, usb port, power supply input and the spdif i/0. If it were flat on the table in front of you and you were using the spdif, which way would the headphone cable be leading out?

Seems like it would be better to have the usb/spdif ports on the bottom side. Well I guess you could curl it over the other way towards outputs 5/6. Hmm..now I'm giving it the caveman stare...
Old 15th September 2011
Gear Addict

At first I was like heh

Quote:
However, Steinberg has a history of not supporting their hardware past a certain point. MR816 may not survive through the next generation of operating systems now that this is out.
but now I'm like
Old 15th September 2011
Gear Head

Hhmmm. The release of these units piqued my interest in the MR816-x again (a less expensive option), with the possibility of grabbing a couple.

I had a read through the existing thread - Steinberg CSX mr816 - and was a little dismayed about the restrictions on direct monitoring with daisy-chained units.

Also see - www.steinberg.net • View topic - Feature Request Direct monitoring multiple MR816's

Something to consider if you need this functionality...
Old 15th September 2011
The more I look at the UR28M, the more I like it and am sure I will buy it. At the moment I have an Apogee Duet, and the features are not enough for the workflow I want to have. The UR28M would give me...

- same pres and converters as the MR816 which is said to be very good and easily on par with the Duet
- more inputs, enough for the workflow I would like to have: 1 vocal mic with zero latency monitoring with FX, 1 hi-z for recording guitar DI for reamping, and a spdif where I can connect a Torpedo VB-101, so that I can record a real amp with zero latency monitoring without having the police come
- more outputs, so that I can run the main mix as Mix 1 into my monitors through line out 1+2, while running the DI track solo as Mix 2 through line out 3 into a reamping box, and thus I can record the reamped guitar track back into Cubase with zero latency monitoring and hear it right away in the mix and make adjustments as needed
- portability almost as easy as the Duet, although I think it is not bus-powered; but when I am somewhere where I can not access electricity, I usually only do some edits or MIDI programming, and I can do that if necessary through headphones straight from my MBP
- the channels trip and the Rev-X as plugins for use in the DAW (and I heard the reverb must really be quite good)

So, it looks like the perfect box for my pre-productions at home! I think I am pretty sold on it! When does it hit the stores!!!
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

very handosome interface. This is what I want. Was hoping they'd do USB, it's futureproof. This or UFX, which has extra's that I don't want, and this can fit into any configuration with 96khz ADAT I/O

Hopefully it's price will be reasonalble once it's all out, but I see the full digitial support justifying the additional costs.
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by parlopower View Post
The more I look at the UR28M, the more I like it and am sure I will buy it.
- same pres and converters as the MR816
Where did you hear the converters are the same as the MR816? Link?
Old 15th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alndln View Post
Where did you hear the converters are the same as the MR816? Link?
It doesn't say so explicitely, and you are right, I should have made clear it is only an assumption. But it is how I understand the following statement on their website:
Why UR
"Sharing the same line of heritage as the highly acclaimed MR816 interfaces, both URs house studio-grade converters, D-Pre Class-A discrete mic preamps plus analog and digital I/O, tending perfectly to your individual needs and on which — it must be said again — quality is written everywhere in big fat letters."
If you translate the German website, it would say they are "...based on the same technology as the acclaimed MR816...".
Line of heritage: Yamaha n8/n12, MR816, and now UR series
Technology n8/12 and MR816 share: pres, DSP FX, converters
UR series clearly has the same pres and DSP FX as n8/12 and MR816, so I assume converters are also covered by the statement about "line of heritage" and "same technology".
It is an assumption, but I think a quite reasonable one.
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by krushing View Post
Exactly. There is a generation of producers, such as me, that grew up on Cubase, when it was just a good old sequencer running alongside my physical synths.

As I have grown, I have updated Cubase over the years but of course, the physical synths remain. Cubase itself, still nails the midi side of things better than any DAW, but when Steinberg go and create their own interface, they just don't bother with any midi ports to go along with their own DAW, that has a great reputation for it's midi impliementation. Physical synths are still out there?!!! Hell, Roland have even made a new Jupiter (even though it is nothing like a Jupiter)

WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT?

Double Facepalm. When the fail so strong, one facepalm is not enough
Old 15th September 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxavier View Post
Physical synths are still out there?!!! Hell, Roland have even made a new Jupiter (even though it is nothing like a Jupiter)

WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT?

Double Facepalm. When the fail so strong, one facepalm is not enough
Hmm, I would guess that you actually own a MIDI interface. If you consider a MR or UR, what would it help if these units would have MIDI I/O?
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOracle View Post
Hmm, I would guess that you actually own a MIDI interface. If you consider a MR or UR, what would it help if these units would have MIDI I/O?
on models like these, better(and cheaper) to not have them. Duties as stand-alone adda is more important than being all in one interface imo. these days just get a roland or motu midi interface unless your super super picky.
Old 15th September 2011
I actually don't mind the lack of MIDI. I had a MOTU 828mk3 and the midi drivers just would not work on a PC. A simple $30 Maudio usb hub works fine, and without drivers. That is a better way to go in my opinion.
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

Well, I've just had a look over the tech specs between the two units and it does indeed seem that the converters are different between the MR816X/CSX and the new UR824.

Ive attached 2 screenshots I took of the relevant tech specs for each. Each unit is listed in the picture name.

I'm no expert at reading the specs, but I do believe that the UR series converters do seem to have been enhanced, albeit not drastically. The headroom is the same on each (to be expected with the same preamp), but the UR824 boasts a 20 - 22KHz range over the MR816s 20 - 20Khz range, amongst other things.

Though it does seem to me that the enhancements are slight, and it would take a really good listening environment with well trained and experienced ears to notice a difference. Maybe I'm just hoping that though...I dont want my 5 month old MR816X to be already obsolete!

Maybe someone with more electrical knowledge on these things will chime in on this with their opinions.

EDIT: I'm not sure how to get the pictures to view in thumbnails on this site. Do they have to be hosted and linked via the [IMG][/IMG] tags? Either ways, you can download them from this post and see for yourself.
Attached Images
File Type: png MR816X:CSX Tech Specs.png (131.5 KB, 628 views) File Type: png UR824 Tech Specs.png (72.4 KB, 1365 views)
Old 16th September 2011
Well, alot of those figures are not telling the whole story, Steinberg doesn't seem to have much consistency there.

At, 44.1kHz, the MR816 and every other interface will capture up to 22kHz. That is just how a decimation filter works. The MR's specs are showing the input to output frequency response "margin of error" up to 20kHz. The UR is showing the inputs and outputs individually.

They look to be about the same, but it is hard to tell because of the different specs being measured. I would assume the circuitry is essentially the same, though the power supply and power distribution could be a little different which also can affect the performance.
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumdrum View Post
Well, I've just had a look over the tech specs between the two units and it does indeed seem that the converters are different between the MR816X/CSX and the new UR824.

Ive attached 2 screenshots I took of the relevant tech specs for each. Each unit is listed in the picture name.
Line output dynamic range +13db greater and with a tolerance of +/- 0.1db across the freq range, nice. The THD figure is slightly lower too. I'm curious as to what the phase tolerance and jitter level is as well...
Old 16th September 2011
Quote:
Line output dynamic range +13db greater and with a tolerance of +/- 0.1db across the freq range, nice. The THD figure is slightly lower too. I'm curious as to what the phase tolerance and jitter level is as well...
Line output is +18dB on both devices. THD cannot be compared because, like I mentioned, The MR sheet is measuring analog in to analog out totals, and the UR is measuring Inputs and Outputs separately.
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Line output is +18dB on both devices. THD cannot be compared because, like I mentioned, The MR sheet is measuring analog in to analog out totals, and the UR is measuring Inputs and Outputs separately.
Read again, +13db greater Dynamic Range.

MR816 spec sheet shows 104db Dynamic range for Line output
UR824 spec sheet shows 117db Dynamic range for Line output.

Though granted it says (A) weighted on the UR824 but doesn't specify the weighting on the MR816 figure, so I'm just guessing thats also (a) weighted. If thats the case, 117 - 104 = 13db difference
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

i just upgraded my pc and had the common drop outs on my mr816.
so i called their tech support and the person who i was speaking with was actually one of the marketers for this new product, and told me if i continue to have the same problem with my mr816, i should maybe sell it and look at the new interface...
he said the PREAMP AND THE CONVERTERS ARE THE SAME....
then i got carious to to know if i'm gonna have the same issue i have wtih my mr816, with an yamaha n12. he said the preamps are the same, but if i like the mr816's conversion, i should stick with my mr816. or wait to get the "USB VERSION OF IT"
he said the mr816 and the usb version are identical in quality, but conversion is slightly better than the Yamaha n series, and noticeably better in DA (which is very important for me cuz of my dangerous dbox)
Old 16th September 2011
Deleted User
No MIDI on the units is simple; no drivers to worry about writing for it
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by janjaal View Post
i called their tech support. he said the PREAMP AND THE CONVERTERS ARE THE SAME....
On both the UR824 and UR28M? You didn't specify which model.
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by janjaal View Post
so i called their tech support and the person who i was speaking with was actually one of the marketers for this new product, and told me if i continue to have the same problem with my mr816, i should maybe sell it and look at the new interface...
he said the PREAMP AND THE CONVERTERS ARE THE SAME....
Dont take this the wrong way, but a guy whose job it is to sell these things told you exactly what he thought you wanted to hear to sell you one of these, right?

I'd take marketers words with a pinch of salt.

IME, companies that have separate departments between tech and sales can often get things mixed up internally. Often the guys on the phones selling you the stuff aren't engineers and they are told the bare minimum to sell the product. ie, they arent given full training of all aspects of the product, which would not always be feesible.

I asked a Yamaha representative in May if a replacement was coming as I had just bought a 816x and he told me that his department works closely with that sort of stuff and that he would of heard if there was. He told me a definitive NO and my grace period ran out on my 816x. Dont get me wrong, I'm happy with my 816x, but I do think that the UR824 will be a step up in converter quality.
Point of the story, dont believe everything these "reps" tell you because often they are not that informed themselves. Its not necessarily their fault, unless they are deliberately misleading you for a sale.

FYI, I met the Yamaha rep at a demo show for a new synth they were selling in my local music shop. Yamaha own Steinberg in case you were wondering.
Old 16th September 2011
Gear Head

Hello all...

Thanks for your interest in our new UR Series hardware. I wanted to offer a few words of confidence that the MR 816 Series is not going anywhere and we will continue to offer support for the product as the UR Series in introduced. To illustrate this, we recently released a new MR Tools update available at: MR816 CSX/X

Introduction of the UR Series is intended to offer an additional product to our growing number of hardware and software solutions. Both URs share similar technology as our MR816 Series (D Pres, DSP technology that no includes independent plug in versions, etc.) Detailed info can be found on our site.

I will do my best to chime in here to answer any questions you may have.

Thanks again and have a great day!
Old 16th September 2011
I called my local dealer already, the UR28M will be in their store within the next two weeks, I already reserved one.

I really hoped for a MR816CSX with less i/o since I don't need that many, but I wanted the integration and the sound quality. Here it is. Thanks Steinberg. Sometimes wishes do come true.

(EDIT: I did hope for a desktop format! But I must admit, I even hoped it would even have the control functions of the CC121 included, maybe except for the EQ control. Well, having both units side by side is also cool.)
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search