The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
DDMF 6144 vst/au eq Equalizer Plugins
Old 10th September 2011
Gear Addict
Dang, this is one sweet piece of eq. Cranked the highs all i could with all bands reaching that hi, and still it sounded pretty darn sweet.
Not that i would ever use that setting, but had to see where it got harsh. And, it didnt!
Well, seems like i will spend some money.
Kind of liked this a little more then the PSP...
Old 11th September 2011
Gear Addict

For anyone who's interested.. I bought the Steinberg plugin when it came out so I was naturally curious about this one and I've just been playing with them both side by side (in my studio.. Adams and Genelecs).

Aside from the ease of use of the Steinberg version (grabbing the eq handles/dots on the display.. which I love) on most sources this is very, very close.

The killer feature to me on the Steinberg/Neve plugin is the low shelf (which is easily the best I've heard, esp on kicks) and the DDMF seems to get this bit very close indeed. I say 'close' because there is a difference which becomes more easily heard the more complex the source. There's a noticeable openness (you could say quality?) to the Steinberg which makes the DDMF sound a little more 2D/smeared by comparison when put over a mix but on most individual sounds the difference is less noticeable. We're talking subtleties here.. or not, depending on your point of view

The main selling points imo of this eq are the low shelf boost, mid range wide Q boost and the high shelf when cutting. The DDMF emulates the first two remarkably well but the Steinberg version definitely sounds better to my ears (and I would guess anyone's) when cutting. But then at a twenty times the price it should.

No regrets on my purchase, life's too short. Also, DMG sent me a free EQuick as an EQuality owner which has the biggest, most accurate analyser within an eq I've seen. So it's all good. But if you want a killer low shelf boost for next to no money then the DDMF is a no brainer. However, if you don't mind paying the extra, the Steinberg is (for me) one of the best plugin eqs available.
Old 11th September 2011
Now with dark colors

Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear

Still really digging this but there is one minor change I'd like to see. I wish the All Bypass button also bypassed the master gain as well as the frequency bands to make it a little faster to level-match. Not a big deal as I can bypass the entire plugin to do that but it'd be a nice feature.
Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4damind View Post
Now with dark colors

is there an option for colour change? I definitely prefer the old GUI
Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear

Fortunately I don't really care about the GUI...
A.
Old 11th September 2011
Really enjoying this eq- very musical and great price too!
Old 12th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Software

This company looks strange to me. No contact info, nothing. Hmmm.
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterN View Post

[email protected] or DDMF: VST plugins, AU plugins, audio software
and he's also a member here (GS) and @ KVR...
and he makes great plug-ins...fwiw
Old 12th September 2011
Quote:
If you mean a address the real name, phone number and such stuff, I agree!
This is often a problem with this one-man companies. It's not only DDMF.

Anyway, Christian is from the Netherlands and he has of course a eMail and you can find him in different forums. He is also not really new with his plug-ins and earned a lot of good reputations with his EQs.
Old 12th September 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Anyway, Christian is from the Netherlands and he has of course a eMail and you can find him in different forums. He is also not really new with his plug-ins and earned a lot of good reputations with his EQs.
Christian has also been very quick to answer emails, and helpful with any request I had - a lot more than I can say of most big companies.
Old 12th September 2011
Quote:
No problems with support in 3 or 4 years of using his plugs.
Old 12th September 2011
Tried it, loved it, bought it!
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingocounty View Post
Still really digging this but there is one minor change I'd like to see. I wish the All Bypass button also bypassed the master gain as well as the frequency bands to make it a little faster to level-match. Not a big deal as I can bypass the entire plugin to do that but it'd be a nice feature.
I actually read the manual (which blows my credibility as a real engineer) and see that the bypass feature mimics the hardware so the device can be used as a "warmer" so never mind my ramblings...
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Very strange post! In addition, I rather take offence to this and I will explain why.

Years ago, I download the DDMF EQ Demo. Christian had mistakenly put the wrong (NO DEMO) DLL in the zip folder. I emailed him, he gave it to me free and added me to his customer list and ever since got free updates. Would Steinberg do that, NOPE!

Very strange post! All transaction are PayPal, so your are protected if you were worried about that.
Old 12th September 2011
Here for the gear

Heya everyone.

I am loving the character of the high shelf and also the analog style bells. I have found that the plugin does remove some low end just by plugging it in. It sounds like an hp filter around 40-50hz to me, but I suspect that's part of the design and I am not very concerned by this tbh.

Great character EQ at a killer price!

-Spacey
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear

The rolloff is present in the hardware version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacedust View Post
Heya everyone.

I am loving the character of the high shelf and also the analog style bells. I have found that the plugin does remove some low end just by plugging it in. It sounds like an hp filter around 40-50hz to me, but I suspect that's part of the design and I am not very concerned by this tbh.

Great character EQ at a killer price!

-Spacey
Old 12th September 2011
Gear Nut

very nice EQ! will we see rtas? I'll be the first to buy. not a big wrapper fan
Old 12th September 2011
Gear Nut

Thanks everyone for the nice comments! I think it's indeed about time to send an inquiry to Avid about the RTAS kit. We'll see how it goes...
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear

amazing plugin, great for tracks separation
Old 13th September 2011
Gear Addict

Wait a minute. This EQ sounds super nice, creamy and, well, let's call it expensive.

but me no understand.

So... there is Steinberg, let's call it a big famous company and Yamaha which is even bigger and l337 and all that and they team up with super legend Rupert Neve to make the official Portico plugin...

They advertise the plugin by stating that they did it with the super duper VTM-2 crazy technology, that they really worked for a long time, realized by super intelligent and wise looking Toshifumi Kunimoto, Senior Engineer of Yamaha, presented in high res video and pictures with legend Rupert Neve and sell it for the super elite price of 500$.

And then a single unkown man* comes up and makes a plugin with in weeks that can compete with this? And, comparion aside, just sound awsome? For 29$?

Maybe this whole plugin business is just something like a big scam ?

* @docdued Don't take this literally. I was just trying to "draw a bigger picture". /respect

p.s. I am wondering if Steinberg comes up with legal issues...
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
If you mean a address the real name, phone number and such stuff, I agree!
This is often a problem with this one-man companies. It's not only DDMF.

Often us small single person companies work from our normal home and dont have a special business line either, so in that respect its not unusual to not display an address and telephone number.

As long as there is at least some form of contact like an email address its fine and thanks to the internet and forums, a companies reputation and customers experiences will be known. When something goes wrong, people like to talk about it
Old 13th September 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dappolito View Post
p.s. I am wondering if Steinberg comes up with legal issues...

I don't think that would make sense... after all, 6144 is a cover version of a piece of hardware (which is proven by the fact that its peaking filters do not cramp at Nyquist, unlike their plugin heh ) and does not contain any patentable technology.
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Maybe this whole plugin business is just something like a big scam ?
Ahhhhh, finally.... The first step to enlightenment is admission.
Old 13th September 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by docdued View Post
Thanks everyone for the nice comments! I think it's indeed about time to send an inquiry to Avid about the RTAS kit. We'll see how it goes...
great to hear!
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by docdued View Post
its peaking filters do not cramp at Nyquist, unlike their plugin heh
Wait ... the Steinberg Portico eq has the curve-cramps? ... wow that's silly of them!

I don't need this plug-in at the moment, but great work
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:

They advertise the plugin by stating that they did it with the super duper VTM-2 crazy technology, that they really worked for a long time, realized by super intelligent and wise looking Toshifumi Kunimoto, Senior Engineer of Yamaha, presented in high res video and pictures with legend Rupert Neve and sell it for the super elite price of 500$.
The audio retail industry using superlatives, technical doublespeak and inflated statements to sell products.....? Nah, can't be!
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Anyway, Christian is from the Netherlands
he is not from netherlands, but from germany.
Old 13th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by karumba View Post
he is not from netherlands, but from germany.
I read somewhere he has a PhD in physics and IMO he is from Amsterdam/Netherlands. Anyways, Netherlands or Germany... He is from good old Europe :P
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
I read somewhere he has a PhD in physics and IMO he is from Amsterdam/Netherlands. Anyways, Netherlands or Germany... He is from good old Europe :P
I think he's french heh
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search