The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
MOTU MachFive 3 - finally... Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 7th September 2011
  #1
Software MOTU MachFive 3 - finally...

Finally released - MOTU releases MachFive 3

Looks really big, the features, the libary...
Old 7th September 2011
  #2
Gear Addict
 
Trailmix's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyforce View Post
Finally released - MOTU releases MachFive 3

Looks really big, the features, the libary...
I really wanted Mach 5 to be the industry standard when it came out. But MOTU really dropped the ball, and Native Instruments picked it up and do not look like they will be giving it up anytime period.


Posted via the Gearslutz iPhone app
Old 7th September 2011
  #3
Lives for gear
 
Silver Sonya's Avatar
 

Only 45GB of samples?

Pfft.

Whatever.

- c
Old 7th September 2011
  #4
Too late.
Old 7th September 2011
  #5
Lives for gear
 
Jeezo's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Sonya View Post
Only 45GB of samples?

Pfft.

Whatever.

- c
Old 10th September 2011
  #6
Gear Addict
 

Hmm, I have M5 v1 and v2, they haven't gotten much use. v1 came when I was still on a G4 and that could hardly handle it. v2's included sounds weren't too useful to me. And I'n not very interested in rolling or modifying sounds much.

MachFive 3 looks really impressive. And the included instruments (electric & upright bass, telematic guitar, piano etc) seem really good. And I need some bass sounds. I've been considering upgrading to Komplete 8, but I've never liked the NI stuff much so I might go for M5v3 instead.

MOTU has been really on the ball lately (with DP being better than ever and seeing frequent updates) so hopefully that means they will support M5v3 better than the earlier versions...
Old 10th September 2011
  #7
Lives for gear
 

the synthesis options look fantastic. built in synthesis models you can add to anything.. and the IRCAM granular stuff.. stretching and pitch shifting sounds awesome.

i couldn't care less about all the samples. sample libraries should be optional or a la carte with a soft sampler.
Old 11th September 2011
  #8
Lives for gear
 

Can someone with a PC verify they hear audio when playing back the videos under the DEEP SYNTHESIS section on this page:

MOTU.com - Sounds

I've tried on a number of PCs/browsers, and I can't hear any audio. It's driving me .

So I was nanoseconds away from ordering Halion 4 yesterday when I noticed an email from MOTU announcing MachFive 3. I held off. I'm wondering which one has the deeper synthesis options though. It seems, from the way the products are being pitched, that Halion 4 is way more focused on sound design than MachFive 3. Any thoughts on this?
Old 11th September 2011
  #9
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by opeth13 View Post
Can someone with a PC verify they hear audio when playing back the videos under the DEEP SYNTHESIS section on this page:

MOTU.com - Sounds

I've tried on a number of PCs/browsers, and I can't hear any audio. It's driving me .
You need Quicktime for Windows to hear it.
Old 12th September 2011
  #10
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alndln View Post
You need Quicktime for Windows to hear it.
All the browsers have the latest version of quicktime installed. Most of videos have audio, its just that the first few under the deep synthesis sections dont. I can go to the Apple movie trailers site an watch all the vids there with no issues, and the aplle site as well.
Old 13th September 2011
  #11
Lives for gear
 

So I emailed MOTU over the weekend to notify them of my playback issue on the site, because I'm really serious about buying one of these products, and all the contenders look good right now (Halion 4, Kontakt 5, MachFive 3). Here's the response I got from MOTU today:
/////////////////////////////
Raffi,

MOTU is in the process of changing video player software on our web site. Check this page and see if the movies play ok for you:

http://www.motu.com/products/softwar...utorial-videos

I look forward to answering all your technical questions.

If I can be of further service, please let me know.

Dave Roberts - MOTU
/////////////////////////////

So I just spent half an hour watching the vids. I don't know, I'm kinda blown away. It's exactly what I wanted to see. Every single vid addressed every question I had, in succession, to the T. I think it sold me. Just goes to show how impactful good customer service is. I blew my budget for the month though :( Here's looking to next month.
Old 13th September 2011
  #12
Here for the gear
 

Motu and tech support - at this point infamous. Would really like to check check out machfive 3 but bitten so many times by this company not again. That's a real problem for the company when people like Machfive but won't touch it because of seriously awful tech support history. I'll wait a couple of years of good reports regarding their tech support - not buying into they got their act together now -- too close to new product launches to be taking seriously for me.
Old 13th September 2011
  #13
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue1144 View Post
Motu and tech support - at this point infamous. Would really like to check check out machfive 3 but bitten so many times by this company not again. That's a real problem for the company when people like Machfive but won't touch it because of seriously awful tech support history. I'll wait a couple of years of good reports regarding their tech support - not buying into they got their act together now -- too close to new product launches to be taking seriously for me.

i owned and 828MKII that died and was out of warranty. i sent it to MOTU + a $50 check and they sent me a new one even though it was out of warranty. the $50 was for return shipping/handling.

that qualifies as good customer service to me.
Old 14th September 2011
  #14
Lives for gear
 

anyway, back on topic, did anyone check out the vids? Thoughts?
Old 15th September 2011
  #15
DSK
Lives for gear
 
DSK's Avatar
Acoustic Samples is one of my favorite acoustic sounds library!
This has got me very interested in MachFive 3 as I already own many of their libraries including 2 of the ones bundled in MachFive.

Also with IRCAM on board and all the other features this one looks like a serious contender for Kontakt!

Cool release!
Old 17th September 2011
  #16
I think this sampler looks very powerful and superior to the annoying (and average sounding) kontakt...all the filter choice, oversampling, synth modules, FX layers configurable to individual zones/groups...

how could one not like this?
Old 17th September 2011
  #17
From the website, it looks a lot like HALion 4, has many of the features of HALion 4, the price is similar to HALion 4, it can't open HALion programs (and vice versa - HALion can't open Mach5 sounds either), both have a convolution reverb, HALion has no timestretching yet (Mach5 does!), both have resizable plugin windows with full screen modes, both include a virtual analog synthesizer, HALion has Flexphraser while Mach5 supports Lua scripting, both have sophisticated MIDI modules and loop tools, both come with a huge library and a good patch browser to find sounds, both support HD audio and x.1 surround samples, both have included mixers and effects, both need a dongle (Mach5 requires an iLok while HALion needs the eLicenser), and there's not much third party libraries available for both because Kontakt is something like a 'standard' for these.

I assume it's a good thing for us customers.
Old 17th September 2011
  #18
Gear Maniac
 

I own Acoustic Samples Kawai Pro. I buy this Mach5 on the spot since there are some AS instrument. Also EXS24 w/o conversion got me interested.
Old 17th September 2011
  #19
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tchibo View Post
From the website, it looks a lot like HALion 4, has many of the features of HALion 4, the price is similar to HALion 4, it can't open HALion programs (and vice versa - HALion can't open Mach5 sounds either), both have a convolution reverb, HALion has no timestretching yet (Mach5 does!), both have resizable plugin windows with full screen modes, both include a virtual analog synthesizer, HALion has Flexphraser while Mach5 supports Lua scripting, both have sophisticated MIDI modules and loop tools, both come with a huge library and a good patch browser to find sounds, both support HD audio and x.1 surround samples, both have included mixers and effects, both need a dongle (Mach5 requires an iLok while HALion needs the eLicenser), and there's not much third party libraries available for both because Kontakt is something like a 'standard' for these.

I assume it's a good thing for us customers.
MachFive 3 does granular synthesis and also has a drum synth. MachFive 3 has 39 arpeggiator presets, while the Halion 4 flexphrase arpeggiator has 1500 patterns/play styles, courtesy of Yamaha. The flexphrasing really helps out during the creative process. Halion has something like 15gb of samples, MachFive has 42gb.
Old 18th September 2011
  #20
Gear Head
 

I saw the video from NAMM two days ago. I realy liked it, good impression. Looked like a cooler device for building own sounds than Kontakt. I ended up using Kontakt only for out of the box librarys because building own sounds was crapy on it. Interface is grotesque and nothing I made on my own sounded any good.

Seeing this video made me want a sampler I can use for this. And the onboard synthesis is a cool feature as well.

Will be ordering my copy this week. Maybe this will be my solution for having to many softsynths (?). One device for most of my synth/keyboard/sample need so I can focus on one unit and play my guitar...
Old 27th September 2011
  #21
Gear Addict
Just got Mach 5 V3 for $179 upgrade from V2. The best $179 I have spent in a long time. As far as DP goes, it isn't perfect but neither is any other DAW. I have had good luck with Motu Tech support..yes sometimes long on hold times.. but I have heard the same from digi/avid, etc.. Magic Dave kicks ass. Really happy.. my stuff sounds great.
Old 28th September 2011
  #22
Does anyone know if v3 is backwards compatible? I have used v2 in most projects since I got it. Do I need to have them side by side, or does v3 load v2 samples if I just have them at the same location?
Old 28th September 2011
  #23
Lives for gear
 
World Studios's Avatar
It loads the version 2 patches one by one, but a "multi" setup, with many patches at once, the performance, created in v2 and saved as a preset in ProTools or within the plugin gui is not recognised by v3. V3 patches are not compatible with v2. So, you need to keep v2 to be able to play old sessions/songs/arrangements containing MachFive2. It was the same going from v1 to v2. Annoying, but true. Luckily, they can still coexist, but come Lion, Lynx or Farmcat, my guess v2 will stop working. Soon rather than later. It has not been updated since 2007.
Old 29th September 2011
  #24
So v3 won't recall single patches used with v2 when loading a project in Logic Pro (in my case), if v2 is not installed? Actually doesn't sound very possible if v2 and v3 can be installed side by side.

I never use multi/performance setups and very rarely do any changes to sounds in sampler.

Sounds like a lot of bouncing to do at some point, but these things happen in digital world.
Old 29th September 2011
  #25
Lives for gear
 
World Studios's Avatar
It WILL load single patches from v2, but unless you have v2 installed, you need to remember which patch/es you used and what settings, if any, you changed. so you are not totally f***ed, but you need to think hard and have a great memory. Or look at the old session notes you hardly ever make up anyway these days.
Old 30th September 2011
  #26
Gear Addict
 

Just like with any other VSTi with a whole new version #, if you have a DAW project that used Machfive 2 you will need v2 installed in order for your DAW to recall it. Same thing with Kontakt 3,4,5 etc.

Machfive 3 will read Machfive 2 patches and multies as well as UVI soundcards so they will load up fine.
Old 30th September 2011
  #27
Lives for gear
 
World Studios's Avatar
I could not get multis created in v2 to even be visible to v3. It does not even see the multi, let alone load it...
Old 30th September 2011
  #28
M2E
Lives for gear
 
M2E's Avatar
 

I've learned the hard way. Wait 1 to 2 years after the "ooohhh" wears off for their new products. They are horrible at upgrading their stuff.
I have Mach 5 v1 & v2 and BPM and all of them are barely usable.
I'll see how they handle this one but, I doubt if it's any different.
The new verison always have great features that people always wanted, always talk about and some stuff you never thought could happen but, then Motu, drops the ball. They just move on to the next product.
I had an issue with Mach v1 erasing sounds. They asked what the issue was, I explained and that was it.
Same thing in v2, had a few issue's, no one got back.
In BPM, I had a few questions as to "How would I do this and does it do that" no one ever got back to me.
I gave up. I figured, as great as the products look, they never work like you need them too. I guess unless you use DP. That ain't happenning.

So, good luck to the people that bought into this. I will continue to monitor this but, I bet this will be gone in a year.

My Thoughts...

Marc
Old 1st October 2011
  #29
Gear Addict
 
Trailmix's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2E View Post
I've learned the hard way. Wait 1 to 2 years after the "ooohhh" wears off for their new products. They are horrible at upgrading their stuff.
I have Mach 5 v1 & v2 and BPM and all of them are barely usable.
I'll see how they handle this one but, I doubt if it's any different.
The new verison always have great features that people always wanted, always talk about and some stuff you never thought could happen but, then Motu, drops the ball. They just move on to the next product.
I had an issue with Mach v1 erasing sounds. They asked what the issue was, I explained and that was it.
Same thing in v2, had a few issue's, no one got back.
In BPM, I had a few questions as to "How would I do this and does it do that" no one ever got back to me.
I gave up. I figured, as great as the products look, they never work like you need them too. I guess unless you use DP. That ain't happenning.

So, good luck to the people that bought into this. I will continue to monitor this but, I bet this will be gone in a year.

My Thoughts...

Marc
Exactly! I didn't want to be the one to rain on their parade (or keep warning people) but that's how Motu rolls. 8-(. Not to mention that when I owned V1, Ethno, and BPM at the same time and wanted to upgrade. The combined upgrade price would have bought me Komplete or Omnisphere. Hmmm...
Old 1st October 2011
  #30
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by World Studios View Post
I could not get multis created in v2 to even be visible to v3. It does not even see the multi, let alone load it...
I could have been mistaken on the multi part.

It is true about the really poor support and updates with MOTU samplers. I think this is their last chance to get it right and salvage a bad reputation.
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump