The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Waves H-EQ Equalizer Plugins
Old 12th September 2011
Gear Maniac

So, guys, how do you compare sound quality of this eq to let's say....ProQ, EQuality/EQuick, Steinberg Portico EQ...?
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by americansun View Post
However... I prefer the WUP over any PCI card driven plugins because they are obsolete with every new system. I moved from TC cards to the Waves bundle and didn't go the UAD route because they also charge you just in a different way. Every company charges you sooner or later. It's just not transparent like the WUP and you get new awesome plugins with Waves. It also makes sure the company is still around in 10 years from now and is updating our investment. I spend 6k on TC plugins and now they discontinue all the plugins and even don't release at least a native version. That's what really isn't OK but with Waves you know what you pay and you also know what you get. Think about it and please stop ranting and raving because it ain't fun.

Peace
It sickens me when I read stuff like this. It's like having to buy a new car because the road pavement isn't compatible. In your case there is no new car to buy though!

This is why keeping around an old computer (or at least an old operating system) is something I've been doing. It sucks but you have to see the reasoning behind WUP. It keeps them in business and the stuff you've paid for upgradeable for future usage. We all have to remember that the music business is still a niche market and with piracy it's an even worse problem for music production software companies to stay in business. It kind of works like insurance. Again if you don't like it don't upgrade your operating system.

I like Waves new business model. It's like buying the hit song for $1 vs. the $15 album of songs you don't like.
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4damind View Post
I think the EQ is ok but I would not prefer it over the other EQs like EQuality, Fabfilter etc. As I stated earlier, the handling is a bit clumsy and this is IMO for a graphic EQ a important thing. It's so easy to use EQuick or Pro-Q!
Parametric ...not graphic eq .....if you mean graphic by allusion of visualing the thing state it cause this might confuse eq noobs ...
Old 13th September 2011
Gear Nut
Waves H-EQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgoorevich
Yeah go, go jump and buy new plugins.
Mercury was at least 50% more expensive than it now costs.
Today it's still 70% more expensive than it worth.

Be smart, buy tools you REALLY need.
Not because of new graphic and italic fonts on vendors sites like: " I can't imagine how I was mixing without this X plug-in!" (John Johnson Johnsovich - producer of Madona, Leonardo Da Vinci, J.F Kennedy and Umberto Eco.

Waves improved their marketing policy lately.
Meanwhile I hear more and more really unprofessional mixes around.
There are more people knowing a little of what they are doing.
Meh
I bought Mercury when it was 50% more (but on sale) and I couldn't have made a better decision.
My mixes have improved 100% + it's sooo much quicker and easier when you have the right tools!

Prior to that I was buying the plugs that everyone raved about as being 'better than Waves' like psp etc.
I still use a couple of them but in general the waves stuff blew it all away - especially as a coherent suite of tools that work together and sound great as a whole.
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

I just did a shootout including the H30 with many many other EQs. What caught my attention was when I compared the Waves Puigtec to the UAD and IK Pultec emulations. With all 3 set to the same settings on an acoustic gtr track, the waves and UAD were similar with the IK sounding way different (and not in a good way). The waves was the winner for me as it had a nice, dare I say, analog sound. It felt like it had some meat. The UAD was fine but lacked the character. Since I was using Reaper I could see how much CPU each plugin was using. The UAD stuff really does leave a footprint, more so than some native eqs. The eq that used the least CPU on this test was the waves ren6. It used less CPU than Reaper's own native reaeq. I'm going to start giving my Waves stuff more love!
Old 14th September 2011
Gear Addict

Used it for a few days now and I think it's great.. Tight and punchy.
Only thing thats a bit annoying to me is the layout. The sweep should've been were the q is.
Probably gonna get used to it during the next few days.

J
Old 14th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jens View Post
Only thing thats a bit annoying to me is the layout. The sweep should've been were the q is.
Indeed...I keep grabbing the q constantly

But a great sounding EQ
Old 15th September 2011
I've been on the lookout for a great all-purpose EQ plug lately and was really excited when the H-EQ was announced - it looked like it had pretty much everything I was looking for. At around the same time I also came across the DMG Equality EQ plug here on Gearslutz, and I even asked for comparisons between the two earlier in this thread (thanks to those who replied).

I ended up demoing both the H-EQ and the DMG Equality today, and after doing an hour or so of comparisons my initial impressions are clear as day.

The EQuality, to me ears, absolutely smokes the H-EQ. I know we're talking about two digital EQ plugs here, but the EQuality just sounds nicer to me - cleaner and more musical. Try as I might, I just couldn't get the Waves plug to sound as good as EQuality - especially in the high end. I'm not talking about sitting there squinting and TRYING to hear the difference - it was just immediately apparent to me that the DMG plug sounded better.

I'm the kind of person that takes the "product A is night and day better than product B" testimonials with a giant grain of salt, but it really is an obvious difference. Given that both of these plugs are VERY similar in terms of functionality and price, I'd advise anyone interested in the H-EQ to go check out the DMG plug too.

At least demo it and tell me if I'm nuts.

I'll keep putting both plugs through the paces on some mixes I've got coming up, but right now DMG Audio is getting my money.
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUElightCory View Post
I just couldn't get the Waves plug to sound as good as EQuality - especially in the high end. I'm not talking about sitting there squinting and TRYING to hear the difference - it was just immediately apparent to me that the DMG plug sounded better.
Could you post soundclips to let us hear what you mean?

Thanks!
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

Bought H-EQ and I must say it's really good EQ. Compared it to EQuality, EQuality is maybe 2-3% better on higher freq's but H-EQ can do other things that EQuality can't, for example those different filter types, gives really unique sound and I love how does it color the mid freq's. On the end, both are really great EQ's, I suggest go and buy both of them.
Old 15th September 2011
MediaMix
I too had been demoing Equality right before H EQ hit the market. Equality sounds great in analog mode. But in analog mode the CPU hit is so heavy that it cannot be an all purpose channel EQ for me. In digital mode it's a nice EQ. The H EQ is wonderful as well and it's analog emulations have a much smaller CPU hit. I purchased the H EQ and will revisit Equality when analog CPU hit tones down a bit.
Old 17th September 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by jipchen View Post
Also, I bought MPX a few weeks ago and didn't get a voucher (re-seller, but actually I paid the same price haha), and now if only I had waited I could get both plugins for only $99.
When Waves first started the voucher program they did not allow 3rd party vendors to participate. They now allow us to participate in every promotion they have.
Old 20th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveE View Post
Looks interesting. Considering that H-Comp and H-Delay are part of the Gold bundle- it would be nice if they threw their Gold/Platinum/Diamond/Horizon customers a bone once in a while.
I`ll just add, I love both of those plugs. The H comp is just outstanding on everything I throw it on and I use more delay now because I truly enjoy the sound of the H Delay so yeah, the H EQ would be a real treat.
Old 24th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Waves H-EQ

I have tried to run this Waves H-EQ TDM and it loads down my system like no other plugin I have and I have some pretty heavy CPU plugins. Running PT9.03 HD 2 -OSX 10.6.8 Intel Quad core with 16 gig memory. I had a 48k 24bit session with three tracks and two other fairly light TDM plugins with HEAT off, and soon as I put the H-EQ on the track all the meter reads slowed down and everything went sluggish. My engine settings were 1024playback,8 cores,90%, delay comp on to long setting, and the other selections were to the default.
I can't believe that this thing is that cpu heavy that it renders all the meter reads to unusable. Any idea of what the problem is? Thanks
Old 24th September 2011
MediaMix
TDM users are having issues on the DUC. RTAS users are fine. Is it possible that old tech TDM may not be able to really handle this type of modern plug-in.
Old 24th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by tele27 View Post
I have tried to run this Waves H-EQ TDM and it loads down my system like no other plugin I have and I have some pretty heavy CPU plugins. Running PT9.03 HD 2 -OSX 10.6.8 Intel Quad core with 16 gig memory. I had a 48k 24bit session with three tracks and two other fairly light TDM plugins with HEAT off, and soon as I put the H-EQ on the track all the meter reads slowed down and everything went sluggish. My engine settings were 1024playback,8 cores,90%, delay comp on to long setting, and the other selections were to the default.
I can't believe that this thing is that cpu heavy that it renders all the meter reads to unusable. Any idea of what the problem is? Thanks
I'm running PT 8.1 and HD3 on OSX 6.4 and a 2x2,66 dualcore...and it runs fine in TDM and RTAS.

It's not something to put on every track, but I had a relatively big mix up yesterday with 128 tracks, and several instances of H EQ without a hiccup.

It was 44.1 and buffer at 256
Old 25th September 2011
Gear Addict

Tried the H-EQ on the 2-buss and really like the MS capability for this application. The spectrum view is very useful - I've though DAWs should have this feature on each channel for a while (been using Voxego SPAN). However, the feature I like the most is the different eq types for each band. This makes it really fast to get the right overall curve you're after - very powerful.

To do the same thing with a combination of EQs is going to be tedious and will also take up a large number of insert points and CPU load. I used it after the Waves SSL & MPX with very likeable results with the analog off. I think the analog would still be very useful on some instruments when used in moderation.

At around $100 I think its good value. I've used the Req for frequency cuts and analog emulations for boosting on recent mixes. This plugin can do both these jobs. As others have pointed out, linear phase and mix/blend would have been nice, but maybe not technically feasible with the H-EQ algorithms.
Old 2nd October 2011
Administrator

Came across this review of H-EQ on youtube. (it was made a couple of weeks ago but in case some missed it here it is)

Old 2nd October 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by tele27 View Post
too bad to hear this.this plugin looks very good.i want the tdm.hopefully it will get fixed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MediaMix View Post
TDM users are having issues on the DUC. RTAS users are fine. Is it possible that old tech TDM may not be able to really handle this type of modern plug-in.
every good thread needs a comment with bad and misleading information
Old 4th October 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick A. View Post
too bad to hear this.this plugin looks very good.i want the tdm.hopefully it will get fixed.

September 27th, 2011
Waves V8r11 installers include the new Bass Rider and following bug fixes:
  1. H-EQ TDM clip meters issue resolved.
  2. H-EQ TDM DC noise issue resolved.
Old 5th October 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Angel View Post
September 27th, 2011
Waves V8r11 installers include the new Bass Rider and following bug fixes:
  1. H-EQ TDM clip meters issue resolved.
  2. H-EQ TDM DC noise issue resolved.
good news.Off to waves store now.thank you!
Old 5th October 2011
Gear Maniac

H_EQ fixed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick A. View Post

every good thread needs a comment with bad and misleading information
Turns out it was a program Pinpoint that was causing the problem. I must say though that Waves was very supportive to help me find the problem. Very good support.
Old 17th October 2011
Lives for gear

Looks interesting!

I was just wondering why they didn't offer 192 kHz processing already. 96 kHz is fine for most applications, but I have a number of 192 kHz projects and some of their old plugins (REQ etc.) can handle that already.
Old 30th November 2011
Here for the gear

Hmmm... Still not 64-bit. C'mon Waves!
Old 21st December 2011
Lives for gear

I bought Mercury some days ago and have been using the H-EQ a lot. The thing that stands out most to me (besides the vast amount of features) is the "analog" section, or more precisely, the THD section. I cannot count the times that "US vintage" and a setting between 300% and 700% has added so much beautiful definition and frequency content. It is one of the, if not the most useful saturation algorithm I have used so far (and I have tried lots) - it is something that seems to be there all the time versus saturation algorithms that cut off peaks only. I am not a huge fan of having to switch through different settings on each EQ band just to try out a broader or more narrow bandwidth and stuff like that, I also do not like the scaling of the visual graph....DMG is much more intuitively "correct" imho. I sometimes use H-EQ for it´s amazing THD functin and DMG afterwards for bending the frequency balance. I still have to compare audio quality between the two when just doing equalization, but in quick comparisons I have found that on sources that benefit from the THD function, the results with H-EQ doing EQ and THD versus DMG doing just EQ, the H-EQ sounded way better in the end (because of the THD). Very often it turned out that when putting H-EQ on something it was not necessary to EQ anymore because the THD function cured what had been lacking - if I initially went out to bend the frequencies to give a sound more definition, less boomyness, more power to cut through, it all came through upping the THD. Absolutely love this plugin.
Old 26th December 2011
Lives for gear

Erm, just got a demo of it, it seems very good, i'm suprised. Have Waves actually made something that isn't just an overpriced vintage emulation? Maybe.
Old 30th December 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by WunderBro Flo View Post
I bought Mercury some days ago and have been using the H-EQ a lot. The thing that stands out most to me (besides the vast amount of features) is the "analog" section, or more precisely, the THD section. I cannot count the times that "US vintage" and a setting between 300% and 700% has added so much beautiful definition and frequency content. It is one of the, if not the most useful saturation algorithm I have used so far (and I have tried lots) - it is something that seems to be there all the time versus saturation algorithms that cut off peaks only. I am not a huge fan of having to switch through different settings on each EQ band just to try out a broader or more narrow bandwidth and stuff like that, I also do not like the scaling of the visual graph....DMG is much more intuitively "correct" imho. I sometimes use H-EQ for it´s amazing THD functin and DMG afterwards for bending the frequency balance. I still have to compare audio quality between the two when just doing equalization, but in quick comparisons I have found that on sources that benefit from the THD function, the results with H-EQ doing EQ and THD versus DMG doing just EQ, the H-EQ sounded way better in the end (because of the THD). Very often it turned out that when putting H-EQ on something it was not necessary to EQ anymore because the THD function cured what had been lacking - if I initially went out to bend the frequencies to give a sound more definition, less boomyness, more power to cut through, it all came through upping the THD. Absolutely love this plugin.
Mate I agree wholeheartedly, i'm known around here as a all analog nutcase,

But I gotta say, this plugin with the THD dialed and the new algo's, i'm really really f*&#en impressed,

the way it works I love too, reminds me of the channel eq in logic, seeing the waveform under the eq is very handy and the keybaord for keying out certain and boosting certain notes in certain songs is great

good work waves, i'm thouroughly impressed, even though mostly they piss me off no end, haha
Old 15th December 2012
Gear Addict

Sorry for the lame question, but I can't find what I need to know on the Waves website....

Can anyone tell me where the factory presets for H-EQ are? It's greyed out when I click on load. I'm using Logic. Maybe the presets are just for Protools??

THanks
Old 19th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockshamrover View Post
Sorry for the lame question, but I can't find what I need to know on the Waves website....

Can anyone tell me where the factory presets for H-EQ are? It's greyed out when I click on load. I'm using Logic. Maybe the presets are just for Protools??

THanks
You should be able to access them through the load menu within the plugin and not Logic's preset menu. Is that what you mean?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search