The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Waves H-EQ Equalizer Plugins
Old 9th September 2011
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailmix View Post
Sell'em then!

And let's discuss the plug's not the company. Post this crap in the moan zone.

You had the same choice 15 years ago. You know their business model. If that doesn't work for you, you don't have to buy into it. I'm sure Waves didn't twisted your arm.
I think Dappolito's been sarcastic!
Old 9th September 2011
Has anyone been able to A/B this with the DMG EQuality EQ? I'd love to hear some hopefully unbiased opinions.
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dappolito View Post
The WUP is total ripoff. The wup before my current one ended last summer or so.

In May I was forced to (I had totally no choice) refresh it and had to pay 200$. And what did I get in return???!
Freaking nothing. Just Waves Kramer Tape, Aphex Exciter, H-EQ and some bug fixes of a super reliable company that maintains even 15 year old plugins so you could even recall that old projects. WTF!

I hate Waves.
Yeah f*ck Waves they are just too giving!

heh
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volodia View Post
You can move them all at the same time . If they were all on the same setting they will all change the setting accordingly. If they were different each one will go to the next setting . The function increments them all at the same time . You shift-click on the settings you want to link then increment/decrement with the arrow up/down . Don't know if it's clear .
as i don't demo the plug , it's kinda rude to understand clearly but the most important is that it seems implemented so anoother good point for this baby !
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUElightCory View Post
Has anyone been able to A/B this with the DMG EQuality EQ? I'd love to hear some hopefully unbiased opinions.
I'm demoing both today for fun. I never get crazy into comparing eqs, ever as I have so many of them. But, my first instinct is that there's something very special with the new Waves H-eq. I'm working on an acoustic guitar I recorded today that's a jazzy finger style pop thing that I played. I used a Royer 122 to record it. I usually have to notch out some of the boom and then give it a nice top end sheen. For the client's rough mix I just used Logic's eq. Very digital sounding on the top end of course. I then put on the H-eq. What a great sound! I used the piano keyboard to instantly select my A and D notes of the A minor chord that were popping out and then used the digital 2 setting to tame then. Then I just put on a high shelf and have been playing around with different flavors. I can get the surgical thing I need when I use Logic's eq and the graphical readout of the eq spectrum which I'm used to and have some nice flavors to play with. Now, I'm not spending any money at the moment so can not buy this thing. In the meantime, I'm re-examining many of my other eqs to see if I can get a similar sound to this. Some of these include:other wave eqs (ren, veq4), URS CSP, Valvetone, various UAD things. I even dug out Hydra Tone! Ugh. Too many eqs. I can get close with some of these, or combinations of some of these but it seems that the H-eq would be an easier solution. Granted, this is on one instrument on a rough mix without a final vocal, etc. I'm planning on forgetting everything I've heard today and will move on with my life.

The DMG Equality EQ is nice as well. It doesn't seem to have the mojo that the H-eq has. I like the fact that it's 64 bit (the only real complaint about the waves plug). I think that if waves goes 64 bit (and I have some extra money to blow) I'd grab the H-eq. Go try it for yourselves. In the meantime, write a great song and use whatever the hell eq plugin you want!
Old 10th September 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beyersound View Post
A very smug and uninformed rebuttal. There are many companies that have excellent software products that don't charge for new "runtime" software versions and .xx maintenance/bugfix updates. They only charge for new plugins. There are many Daw companies who don't charge for .xx maintenance/bugfix updates. There are also OS companies that don't charge for .xx updates, only complete new "ground-up" build OS.

The ones I named, along with Waves do charge, and do so for no good reason. Maybe "scam" is too harsh a word, I just can't seem to find one that fits better. Let me know if you do. Cheers
This is as incorrect as your first post... Waves does not charge for bug fixes and updates.. only for version upgrades. Same as almost everyone does. There is nothing new in that. No one is twisting anyones arm to buy anything new... or to use any particular piece of hard or software.. the choice is yours..

As for the other fellow that bought a v8 plug without making certain it would work on his rig, that's between him and Waves. They're pretty decent folks there so they'll probably work with him.. at the very least he can sell the plug to someone else.. Personally, if I did not see anything that clearly stated that the plug would work on my system, I would have emailed support first and asked.. but that's me. H-EQ is a new plugin.. developed and released well after v8 came along. The assumption to be made is that it's v8 only unless otherwise stated, which it was not.

You clearly have your knickers in a twist with Waves for whatever reason but it has nothing to do with what the fellow was complaining about.
Old 10th September 2011
FYI- It's not mentioned in the manual but the "Digital 2" Q settings are similar to Waves Q10 (very narrow Q) whereas the Qs on some of the other models are very wide or not adjustable at all.
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by danander11 View Post
This is as incorrect as your first post... Waves does not charge for bug fixes and updates.. only for version upgrades. Same as almost everyone does. There is nothing new in that. No one is twisting anyones arm to buy anything new... or to use any particular piece of hard or software.. the choice is yours..

As for the other fellow that bought a v8 plug without making certain it would work on his rig, that's between him and Waves. They're pretty decent folks there so they'll probably work with him.. at the very least he can sell the plug to someone else.. Personally, if I did not see anything that clearly stated that the plug would work on my system, I would have emailed support first and asked.. but that's me. H-EQ is a new plugin.. developed and released well after v8 came along. The assumption to be made is that it's v8 only unless otherwise stated, which it was not.

You clearly have your knickers in a twist with Waves for whatever reason but it has nothing to do with what the fellow was complaining about.
Never had a problem ot issue either, LOVE WAVES
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

Can't wait to test drive this tasty beast EQ
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

good price! too bad it's not unlimited updates instead of paid updates!!!

WUP, never again
Old 10th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUElightCory View Post
The Waves can add noise+hum/distortion while EQuality is a completely clean and transparent EQ. This of course makes a difference! But I would not use this behavior on all tracks because you can introduce a lot of extra noise.
The Q+Gain behavior of the Waves models makes the difference, it's the same thing while you get quicker good results for some tasks with a Pultec style EQ.

You can match the curves of the H-EQ with EQuality/EQuick but this needs more time. You can of course not match the distortion/noise+hum thing with Equality.

The only bad thing I found with Waves is the bit clumsy UI. There seems to be a bug with the mouse handling while dragging the handles.
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by danander11 View Post

Not trying to start a pissing match, but there was truth in that post, some examples seem to be needed. All new UAD software versions/upgrades are free and always have been. The PSP upgrades and even new plugs added to an old bundle as an upgrade have been free so far (they don't use a "runtime" software). There are at least several other examples of this out there. I like the way these type of companies do business, would like to see the old "Apple style" business model disappear from the audio industry. The idea of charging for a plugin software "upgrade" is repulsive to me, and in a case where you are paying premium prices for plugins, is absolutely unnecessary. I'm certainly not hating on Waves products themselves, they make many excellent ones, and the H-EQ looks like another fine one. Just my opinion.
Old 10th September 2011
dio
Gear Addict

Quote:
Not trying to start a pissing match, but there was truth in that post, some examples seem to be needed. All new UAD software versions/upgrades are free and always have been. The PSP upgrades and even new plugs added to an old bundle as an upgrade have been free so far (they don't use a "runtime" software). There are at least several other examples of this out there. I like the way these type of companies do business, would like to see the old "Apple style" business model disappear from the audio industry. The idea of charging for a plugin software "upgrade" is repulsive to me, and in a case where you are paying premium prices for plugins, is absolutely unnecessary. I'm certainly not hating on Waves products themselves, they make many excellent ones, and the H-EQ looks like another fine one. Just my opinion.
PSP are great but what you are saying is not true....

Mixpack 2 upgrade from Mixpack 1 $79.00
VintageWarmer 2 upgrade from VintageWarmer $49
The Mac OS X Universal Binary update for PSP MasterQ (1.5) costs $19
PSP Nitro to N2O "cross-grade" (rrright....) $99
e.t.c......
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dio View Post
PSP are great but what you are saying is not true....

Mixpack 2 upgrade from Mixpack 1 $79.00
VintageWarmer 2 upgrade from VintageWarmer $49
The Mac OS X Universal Binary update for PSP MasterQ (1.5) costs $19
PSP Nitro to N2O "cross-grade" (rrright....) $99
e.t.c......
PSP Old Timer upgraded to include Old Timer Mastering compressor...... Free! PSP sQuad Bundle upgraded by adding McQ EQ.............. Free! Mac OS related charges, your fault for buying a Mac! tutt
Old 10th September 2011
I love waves plug-ins, I do own diamond, SSL bundles and few others. I will be demoing this this EQ soon. Here is a track that mixed with just waves plug ins.

Old 10th September 2011
dio
Gear Addict

Quote:
PSP Old Timer upgraded to include Old Timer Mastering compressor...... Free! PSP sQuad Bundle upgraded by adding McQ EQ.............. Free! Mac OS related charges, your fault for buying a Mac! tutt
These are the upgrade prices I found from the KVR database, I didn't pay for them . This is just to prove that the one of your two examples (the other being UAD which I am not aware of how the upgrades are done) is fail!

Also, just to be the devils advocate for a bit, here are the plugins added without extra cost to the Waves users with current WUP. I am not by any means a Waves fanboy, but you should learn to admit it when you are wrong.

Wavesupport | Updates | Waves Update Plan | Your Bundle Just Got Bigger
Old 10th September 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dio View Post
These are the upgrade prices I found from the KVR database, I didn't pay for them . This is just to prove that the one of your two examples (the other being UAD which I am not aware of how the upgrades are done) is fail!

Also, just to be the devils advocate for a bit, here are the plugins added without extra cost to the Waves users with current WUP. I am not by any means a Waves fanboy, but you should learn to admit it when you are wrong.
+1
Wavesupport | Updates | Waves Update Plan | Your Bundle Just Got Bigger
+1
And I have to mention that FREE! V7 to V8 update waves gave out last year. I will freely admit how much I disliked WUP initially too. But since I do this for a living, it's all tax deductible, and if I am not mistaken everytime I paid for WUP I was given the price of WUP in waves credit towards another plug or bundle. And now that I think about it I used that credit and one of their 50% off deals to get my platinum TDM bundle that brought it in @ around $900.00. Which broken down is about $25-30 per plug.
Old 10th September 2011
dmo
Here for the gear
Just downloaded the demo for this EQ and I'll probably end up getting it before the trail runs out. I was able to get a great sound using the different filters for each EQ band and the RTA is nice for referencing for where you are.
Old 11th September 2011
mfx
Lives for gear

Looks good. TBH bit late in the game with Fabfilter Pro-Q, PSP Nole EQx, EQuality and several others. Not sure what this would bring that'd be much different. Open to opinions :@)
Old 11th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Software Waves H-EQ

+1 on that! I thought I was the only one experiencing that, rather sticky
GUI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4damind View Post
The Waves can add noise+hum/distortion while EQuality is a completely clean and transparent EQ. This of course makes a difference! But I would not use this behavior on all tracks because you can introduce a lot of extra noise.
The Q+Gain behavior of the Waves models makes the difference, it's the same thing while you get quicker good results for some tasks with a Pultec style EQ.

You can match the curves of the H-EQ with EQuality/EQuick but this needs more time. You can of course not match the distortion/noise+hum thing with Equality.

The only bad thing I found with Waves is the bit clumsy UI. There seems to be a bug with the mouse handling while dragging the handles.
Old 11th September 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Yeah, UAD does give free updates. However, they require you to purchase a $1500 dongle to use their plugins across a relatively nominal number of tracks. For $1500, I could pay for WUP for many years to come. Just saying.

You are right about PSP though.
Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear

Many years back, I bit the bullet and bought Mercury TDM. Waves is the one 'bundle' of plugins that I use most and it's amazing how many more new plugins I've gotten since then.... for the price of a WUP when you decide to do it. heh

I know many people love to hate Waves but to me, they're just as 'bad' as Avid, the company that puts out the DAW that most of us use....and UAD is just as bad ($$$ dongle). So what you gonna do.....
Old 11th September 2011
dio
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resistance View Post
Yeah, UAD does give free updates. However, they require you to purchase a $1500 dongle to use their plugins across a relatively nominal number of tracks. For $1500, I could pay for WUP for many years to come. Just saying.

You are right about PSP though.
Many people here try to find exaples of developers that offer free upgrades just to bash the WUP, but its so difficult to find a valid one (so UAD may be one of them even if it requires an expensive card, and PSP is definately NOT one of them sice it charged for paid upgrades at least 3 different times). Well I'll tell you one then: URS
Old 12th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by The MPCist View Post
Many years back, I bit the bullet and bought Mercury TDM. Waves is the one 'bundle' of plugins that I use most and it's amazing how many more new plugins I've gotten since then.... for the price of a WUP when you decide to do it. heh

I know many people love to hate Waves but to me, they're just as 'bad' as Avid, the company that puts out the DAW that most of us use....and UAD is just as bad ($$$ dongle). So what you gonna do.....
Yeah go, go jump and buy new plugins.
Mercury was at least 50% more expensive than it now costs.
Today it's still 70% more expensive than it worth.

Be smart, buy tools you REALLY need.
Not because of new graphic and italic fonts on vendors sites like: " I can't imagine how I was mixing without this X plug-in!" (John Johnson Johnsovich - producer of Madona, Leonardo Da Vinci, J.F Kennedy and Umberto Eco.

Waves improved their marketing policy lately.
Meanwhile I hear more and more really unprofessional mixes around.
There are more people knowing a little of what they are doing.
Old 12th September 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgoorevich View Post

Be smart, buy tools you REALLY need.

Waves improved their marketing policy lately.
Meanwhile I hear more and more really unprofessional mixes around.
There are more people knowing a little of what they are doing.
I agree.
Buy the tools you need.
The problem is that many of us have no clue about the tools we need.
There are so many options and opinions.
If there is some buzz about a new plugin, we are in a feeding frenzy.
We add it to our endless list of plugs, hoping it will be magic.
The more I get in to this, the more I realize that less is more.

Waves Mercury offers a huge collection of plugs.
I have no idea how you can put a value on it.
The one positive thing I can say is that it offers legacy connectivity.
I can bring up an old mix with the latest version of Waves and it is all there.

Back to the topic.
I'm really enjoying the sound of the H-EQ.
As I narrow down my list of plugs, I am putting this on the A list.
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfx View Post
Looks good. TBH bit late in the game with Fabfilter Pro-Q, PSP Nole EQx, EQuality and several others. Not sure what this would bring that'd be much different. Open to opinions :@)
Completely agree. It's all a bit late in the game. If we all don't have a 100 EQ's already and all though there may be a new feature of some kind included within this plug, I am not sure it will be a revelation of any kind.

The funny thing with us and our plugs is that a new EQ comes out and everyone wets their pants but seriously, in a hardware studio a guy will have a Neve desk with one type of EQ, a couple of other EQ's in the rack and never need anything else, so I don't know why we all need a 100 different types of EQ. If you can't mix with the others you already had, I don't see what this will do for you.
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxavier View Post
If you can't mix with the others you already had, I don't see what this will do for you.
Very true

G
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear

[QUOTE=dxavier;7022982]Completely agree. It's all a bit late in the game. If we all don't have a 100 EQ's already and all though there may be a new feature of some kind included within this plug, I am not sure it will be a revelation of any kind.

The funny thing with us and our plugs is that a new EQ comes out and everyone wets their pants but seriously, in a hardware studio a guy will have a Neve desk with one type of EQ, a couple of other EQ's in the rack and never need anything else, so I don't know why we all need a 100 different types of EQ. If you can't mix with the others you already had, I don't see what this will do for you.[/QUOT

I couldn't agree more!
Old 12th September 2011
I think the EQ is ok but I would not prefer it over the other EQs like EQuality, Fabfilter etc. As I stated earlier, the handling is a bit clumsy and this is IMO for a graphic EQ a important thing. It's so easy to use EQuick or Pro-Q!

Yes, I agree that's eventually a bit late for such a EQ from Waves. To play with the big boys it needs other fresh ideas and a more modern interface. I think to something between EQuality, Fabfilter, Flux... and then merged with the H-EQ different curve styles. Eventually also a linear phase mode, HQ analyzer, different and switchable UI size etc.
Old 12th September 2011
SEB
Lives for gear

..and perhaps match the soundquality of the sw-version of Portico. After demoing the Waves it sounds just like a waves eq but with other options and gui .
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search